Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kornheiser on Monk on 980

Thiebear

On WMAL at about 5:15pm Kornheiser said he would not Champion Art Monk because he didnt talk to the reporters for 15 years. Abe and them then asked him would he vote for him and he said yes, then he said if you ignore me and then I have to support you thats part of it.

Then he actually broke down and talked about he had some holes and that he could be talked into not voting for him depending who else was up against him. etc...

Its a shame people that can and do vote actually leave the field on the field and say since you didnt talk to ME... I may then dis you back .... regardless of what SHOULD be done...

He did say after that that more than two people Riggins / Green need to be (like a couple of Oline)...

On WMAL at about 5:15pm Kornheiser said he would not Champion Art Monk because he didnt talk to the reporters for 15 years. Abe and them then asked him would he vote for him and he said yes, then he said if you ignore me and then I have to support you thats part of it.

Then he actually broke down and talked about he had some holes and that he could be talked into not voting for him depending who else was up against him. etc...

Its a shame people that can and do vote actually leave the field on the field and say since you didnt talk to ME... I may then dis you back .... regardless of what SHOULD be done...

He did say after that that more than two people Riggins / Green need to be (like a couple of Oline)...

This Monk thing is really beginning to irk me. It should have long ago I guess. I'd forgotten that he retired as the all-time receptions leader (stands in 5th place now). He had that record for consecutive games with at least 1 catch. He set a record for catches in a season with 106 in 1984. He played for 3 Super Bowl winners (and one Super Bowl loser). He was one of the best and most consistent players on the 2nd best team of the 1980's.

The problem is that his stats look less impressive now that teams pass more, and since Jerry Rice demolished all competition at WR in the history of the game.

The problem is that his stats look less impressive now that teams pass more, and since Jerry Rice demolished all competition at WR in the history of the game.

The problem is just what was stated here, crybabies in the media like that weasly little gnurk Kornholer that are miffed 'cuz he wouldn't talk to them, like that has something to do with Monk's accomplishments. Hell I respect AM MORE for not talking to that hairball

Actually, that was said on WTEM 980 in the DC area. I was totally offended and emailed Steve Czaban. It was obvious Czaban was miffed by his comments. I like Kornheiser, but that really ticked me off.

I think though it gave us a good insight into what's really going on with the pompous HOF voters. Kornheiser is not a voter, but you know he has friends on the committee who undoubtedly listen to what he has to say.

What a pr*ck, Kornheiser.

Hail,

H

My thoughts on lobbying for Art Monk... I've hashed these out to people at other places but never here. I think we can add Kornheiser to the list of punks who won't lobby hard enough for Monk.

Marvin Harrison has less YPC through his career than Art Monk.

Does that diminish how anyone feels about Harrison’s career?

Art Monk is being held out of the Hall by people like Peter King for the following reasons:

1) Receptions isn’t a bench mark.

King points to Andre Reed, Marvin Harrison, Jimmy Smith, and Isaac Bruce as players who will broken Largent’s reception record.

I would argue that the receivers after Monk benefitted from playing in a passing era, and then the rules changes helped out players like Harrison, Bruce and Smith.

2) Monk wasn’t the most dangerous skill player on his team.

I feel like this is a penalty on Monk for being slow. Shouldn’t you say “Wow, he didn’t have as much talent but still was able to last in the league and contribute to a football team.” Of course Monk is not going to be runnin fly patterns.

3) Monk not considered to be the best by peers and media.

This one holds the most weight, but again, I think he is being penalized because he doesn’t have sexy stats. Dr. Z frames it this way: ” Monk caught a million passes, most of them eight-to-10-yard hooks. Swann made spectacular catches at the championship level.”

Monk made catches in the playoffs and Super Bowl as well, you dope. Does this mean you’re gonna be voting Brandon Lloyd in to the HoF because he could make tough catches?

Here is what Dr. Z has to say about Todd Christenson:

“I had voted for Todd Christensen, and also lobbied on his behalf. I really can’t understand any negative feeling here. He caught a million balls in an era in which receivers — and especially tight ends — got mugged coming off the line. Now they get a free release and go waltzing into open space, catch their 10-yard hook and get hailed as heroes.”

Well what the **** is the difference between Christenson getting mugged and Monk getting mugged?!

I need to stop thinking about these idiots and their lame arguments. Probably one of the problems with Monk is Shapiro or Wilbon aren’t lobbying hard enough for them to get in, and most voters already are set against him.

Receptions through the years…

1984:

1. Art Monk 106

2. Ozzie Newsome 89

1985:

1. Roger Craig 92

2. Art Monk 91

1986:

1. Todd Christenson 95

2-9: Stanley Morgan, Roger Craig, Gary Anderson, JT Smith, Tony Collins, Herschel Walker

10. Gary Clark 74

11. Art Monk 73

This was Monk’s second year with Gary Clark. Notice that most of the players ahead of Clark and Monk are RBs. Where is Steve Largent 1984-1986?

1987:

Monk is injured

1988:

1. Al Toon 93

2. Henry Ellard 86

3-7. Mark Clayton, Eric Martin, JT Smith, Keith Jackson, Roger Craig

8. Ricky Sanders 73

9. Art Monk 72

Sharing receptions with Ricky Sanders… this year Gary Clark had 59 receptions.

1989:

1. Shannon Sharpe 90

2. Andre Reed 88

3. Art Monk 86

4. Mark Carrier 86

5. Jerry Rice 82

6. Ricky Sanders 80

7. Gary Clark 79

1990:

1. Jerry Rice 100

2. Andre Rison 82

3. Keith Byars 81

4. Henry Ellard 76

5. Gary Clark 75

6-9. Drew Hill, Haywood Jeffries, John Williams, Ernest Givens, Andre Reed

10. Albert Bentley 71

Art Monk 68

We see the run and shoot receivers also sharing receptions. His production is beginning to fall off.

1991:

1. Haywood Jeffries 100

2. Michael Irvin 93

3. Drew Hill 90

4. Marv Cook 82

5. Andre Rison 81

6. Andre Reed 81

7. Jerry Rice 80

8. Al Toon 74

9. Bill Brooks 72

10. Chris Carter 72

11. Art Monk 71

Gary Clark 70

It took Steve Largent 200 games to set the NFL reception record prior to Monk breaking it. Monk broke his record in 189 games (his total through 1992 season).

Notice the shift before 1987 to after 1987. In the 3 seasons prior to 1987, Tight Ends and Running Backs are high on the receptions list. After 1987, the trend is towards WRs. I'll argue that instead of comparing Monk to the WR circa late 1980s, early 1990s he is more akin to a TE like Ozzie Newsome.

The induction of Harry Carson will work against Peter King on this Art Monk thing. These are King's arguments for inducting Harry Carson.

Harry Carson wasn’t even the best LB on his team.

Harry Carson played for a team that won 2 Super Bowls.

Harry Carson was a leader.

Harry Carson has the endorsement of a Hall of Fame coach.

Harry Carson played on a great defense.

Harry Carson didn’t have many other Hall of Famers on his defense.

Did anyone give Peter King the nickname “Man Crush” yet?

Here's the real irony....the voters like to say that Monk was not the key member of our great teams of the 80s, but let's think about this. If Art Monk was on the team we have right now, we'd be in the hunt for the Super Bowl every year. Monk is the missing piece on this team right now.

Tell me Monk wasn't a key factor on those teams!

Hail,

H

I just don't understand how one can end his career in a time where the vast majority of teams ran the ball almost twice as much as passed with the all time leader in receptions still has not made the Hall of Fame. The media are such a**holes for letting this happen. I think its better when the media stay out of it, it distracts the players less.

this pretty much clears it up for anyone that's not been paying attention.

the HOF is nothing more than an overrated country club whose membership is only open to those who made a second career of making best friends and bosom buddies with childish reporters and journalists.

the audacity of disregarding and/or discrediting an NFL career simply because that person "didn't talk to you" reeks of selfish personal vendetta and immature grade school pouting...it's an embarrasment that this is the way the majority of the voters feel. Their motto might as well be: If you don't suck my dick, I'm gonna F you in the ass.

This is what I just emailed to Tony about Monk:

I heard your comments about Monk, and they really baffle me. You're saying that even though the man was one of the best WRs in the league during his tenure; even though he was a critical part of 3 Super Bowls; and even though he was probably the best WR ever on 3rd Down. Because the guy didn't want to get a lot of attention, he doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

What you've just done is commercialized football even more than Peter King. At least King tries to come up with bogus reasons not to support Monk. But you've just told players that they've got to be guys like T.O. or Randy Moss in order to get into the Hall. You've reduced this even past the subjective way people look at the on the field criteria and said you wouldn't vote for him because he was too humble off the field.

You're allowed to have you're opinions, but somethimes I really question their basis.

And as much as you may hate people bringing this up, you work in the DC area. You're a writer for Washington Post, and have been close to the Redskins for most of your career. If the writers in his hometown area are not willing to fight for Monk, then whats the purpose of being here? There are a million guys like Pastabelly and King who want to criticize Monk, but as a writer you should also be concerned with ensuring that they understand the reasons for Monk to go to the Hall.

You can easily see that there's a bias against the Redskins. We went to 4 Super Bowls and won 3, but they say that none of our players are worthy of the hall? Each one supposedly has a little hole that makes people argue against him.

How can we have the best OL in football for 10 years, but none be HOF worthy?

How can we have a WR core that wins three superbowls with 3 different QBs, but none are HOF worthy?

How can we have a defense that was top 5 in the league every year but only out CB is worthy?

I mean, how many HOF players did the Bears get from that one superbowl?

How many HOF players did the Steelers get from their Superbowls?

Are you willing to tell me that Lynn Swann is a better WR than Art Monk?

And the thing that upsets me the most about this whole situation is that when Monk was playing, he was always spoken of as "future Hall of Fame WR Art Monk". People always spoke positively of him being humble and not wanting media attention. All of a sudden he retires and humble becomes an insult?

The media really has to answer some questions about this situation because it stinks of hypocracy at so many levels. And you Tony, you should be more towards the front lines in this speaking of how badly Monk is getting treated from the Media because this is your town. Do you just want to be a yes-man to Peter King?

I've said enough.

I'd forgotten that he retired as the all-time receptions leader (stands in 5th place now).

actually, he didnt. (not that i think it makes a difference- monk should be in anyway.)

agree 100%. by todays WR standards with todays passing game, his stats dont look nearly as impressive. but for his time, he was money, which is how he should be judged.

I think if he was a voter and it came down to it, Tony Kornheiser would vote for Art Monk. The problem is never going to be corrected until the process is changed.

My concept is to create a panel of Football historians. You could start with Steve Sabol. Let him compile a list of 32 football historians. You would exclude writers and former coaches who may be preferential to a certain city or team. You know like Peter King's NY bias. Use that as a starting point and build an ethical, educated and fair panel. It is entirely to easy for a Football writer to develop distain towards certain players and organizations.

The reason monk will not get in is because its not football guys voting football players in, but instead people who jocksniff certain players and get to write about it. Anyone who writes with the intent to sell papers and create a "buzz" will not appreciate the quite style of Monk and how he quitely had a storybook career. Kornheiser probably couldnt throw a football into the ocean from a sailboat, but yet he helps to decide who is one of the greatest of all time? Give me a break!

The reason monk will not get in is because its not football guys voting football players in, but instead people who jocksniff certain players and get to write about it. Anyone who writes with the intent to sell papers and create a "buzz" will not appreciate the quite style of Monk and how he quitely had a storybook career. Kornheiser probably couldnt throw a football into the ocean from a sailboat, but yet he helps to decide who is one of the greatest of all time? Give me a break!

Couldn't have said it better myself......the real problem with the HOF voting IS the fact that its the media who get to vote on the members. I think the media's ability to determine who should or who should not be in ANY sports HOF is BULL!!! I believe that the HOF needs to have current HOF members as the only voters.....Let those who have played the game decide who are true hall of famers. I bet if only current HOF members were allowed to vote instead of the media Monk would have been elected years ago!

I'll never visit either Hall Of Fame baseball or Football.

John Thompson a basketball guy is the one local radio personality I know of openly questioning why Monk is being Snubbed by these pompous a-holes.

However I went off like he did yesterday when Buck Oneil(95 yrs old) and M Minosa the only living Negro League player were snubbed for the Baseball Hall of Fame

John Thompson a basketball guy is the one local radio personality I know of openly questioning why Monk is being Snubbed by these pompous a-holes.

However I went off like he did yesterday when Buck Oneil(95 yrs old) and M Minosa the only living Negro League player were snubbed for the Baseball Hall of Fame

JT got pisssssssed at the end of his show yesterday. He told his producer to go back behind the glass and shut up. I don't know who Buck O'neil is but if someone believes that hard that he deserves to be in then he needs to be in.

TK said he would not CHAMPION him...as in have a parade to get him in the hall of fame...he did say that if he voted that he WOULD vote for Art Monk.

Yeah JT was HOT becasue Buck Oneil and everyoen associated with him thought he would be in...my question is why were he and Minosa omitted?

A friend of mine just emailed me to say Tony read my email to him on the show today and he said goodbye to me! LOL! I emailed him telling him I was going to not listen to him any more for his ridiculous stance on Monk.

[Edit: apparently, Tony didn't have the guts to read the email exposing himself as to why I'm boycotting his show....he just said goodbye to me and someone else. If you're out there - :cheers: )

Come on guys, flood his email....he's listening!

Hail,

H

This is what I sent him earlier. You don't need to write a novel, just let him know you heard him and you don't like what he said.

Tony,

Did you really say that you wouldn't champion Art Monk

because he didn't talk to reporters for 15 years?

Shame on you.

Archived