Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kornheiser on Monk on 980

Thiebear

Here is a copy of the message in the email I just sent Tony K. All of us should flood his mailbox!!!

Tony:

It is hard for me, as a Redskin fan, to believe that the man who invented and drove the Redskin Bandwagon all the way to Super Bowl XXVI would not “champion” Art Monk, a TRUE Redskin, for the Hall of Fame just because he didn’t talk to you for 15 years!!!!

I never thought that a man of your age would need to hear these words, but Grow up Tony and get over yourself…….as a sports writer who follows the Redskins you know or at least you should know, how important Art Monk was to those teams during that era. In an era BEFORE the footballs starting flying through the air on almost every down this man was the all-time reception leader in the NFL. Regardless of what you say, that fact DOES matter.

There is not one Washington area sports writer who has ANY sense at all that shouldn’t be championing Art Monk to the Hall of Fame. Shame on you for putting how you were treated by him ahead of the achievements Art Monk made on the field of play……..Where a Hall of Fame career is supposed to be judged!!!

My e-mail:

Tony,

Are you serious that you wouldn't champion Art Monk for the Hall of Fame just because he wasn't friendly with the press?

This is exactly why John Riggins is the only Redskin from the 80's in the Hall of Fame. Harry Carson told the press he didn't even want to be in the Hall anymore, but Peter King still kept fighting for him. Guess what - he got in this year.

We need the DC press corps to stand up for Art Monk, Russ Grimm, and Darrell Green in a few years. They're not going to get in without your support.

I hope you change your mind, and if you don't, I'm glad you're not a Hall of Fame voter.

Keep up the good work.

That's great guys! For the record, here's what I wrote:

“Tony, your comments last night on the Sports Reporters regarding Art Monk were extremely offensive. To say you would consider not voting for him based on the fact that he didn't talk to you is incredibly classless, petty, and unprofessional. Andy, you should blast him for this attitude!

I have been a loyal fan and listener of yours for years, but you are not bigger than Art Monk. It might not make a bit of a difference to you, but I will join with others who heard these comments and no longer listen to your show (we're out there on the Blogs and Message Boards).

I'm truly saddened that you think that highly of yourself and that lowly of a player who always conducted himself with class on and off the field. And you know factually that you have an influence over the voters, so indeed, your stance is hurting a man who deserves to be recognized as one of the all time greats.

I do find it curious that you could find sympathy for Bode Miller, but hold such a grudge against Art Monk. Sad, Tony, sad.”

Hail,

H

TK said he would not CHAMPION him...as in have a parade to get him in the hall of fame...he did say that if he voted that he WOULD vote for Art Monk.

Yes, but only after being pressed by Czaban and Andy. And then he said it would depend on who else is eligible and that he could easily be talked out of voting for Monk.

And his statement was (paraphrase, but this is very close) "I would not champion him for election because that's the price he has to pay for not talking to the media." That's as pompous as you can get! Like Art Monk owes anyone anything!

Hail,

H

i saw minny minosa play in my youth. eventhen he was over the hill but was a better player than guys half his age. a lot like satchell paige inthat way.

considering how mediocre some of the players going in now seem to be, it is a crime that minosa is not in...

sad. people forget you when you get old

Here's the real irony....the voters like to say that Monk was not the key member of our great teams of the 80s, but let's think about this. If Art Monk was on the team we have right now, we'd be in the hunt for the Super Bowl every year. Monk is the missing piece on this team right now.

Tell me Monk wasn't a key factor on those teams!

Hail,

H

Was Rayfield Wright the key member of ANYTHING?

Archived