Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

12 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

So doing some research, it appears that it is "oral allergy syndrome" where some vegetation has proteins or whatever similar to pollens that the body will react to.  Upon being cooked, the proteins break down into smaller ones that no longer resemble the pollens and thus don't invoke a reaction.  So my allergy to birch pollen apparently is the issue.  Also explains why peaches cause my gums to itch and mild inflammation of the throat, as it also is related to birch pollen allergies.  Soy milk seems to be especially guilty due to the amount taken at a given time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26615663/

Learned that the hard way. Grabbed an apple at a farmers market. In five minutes I was vomiting. Have had more minor reactions to other fruits too. I ate all this stuff growing up, shame.

42 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Nah, I’m just older and smarter than you.  We’re having a Yoda/Luke/Degobah moment.

Not really. But we're gonna have a legitimate clearing of the air though.  If you don't want to talk after this, absolutely fine with me, but you're not gonna play that life **** with me. Not me, and not anyone else. Moved this to the rtt, just to keep it out of the Stadium.

Question (because I've seen enough of these posts by now that I actually feel someone should start challenging them, so that's just gonna have to be me):

In all the many ways that all of us experience life's hardships and overcome them to carve out a decent piece of it and call it ours, how many of us (many of us that have probably been through a lot more than those who apparently sit high on burgundy and gold horses ) do you really think need any inspiration whatsoever from a sports team? Think critically. Weigh that number against the number that wake up every morning  and must think "Hey, my life's good and positive, and so I'm gonna approach the Redskins the same way... because, um, Redskins! 👍"

For people like me, they are nothing more than a weekly episodic lifetime tv show. I do not allow them to have anymore of an impact on my life. It ends there. What I think, say, predict, etc about them, has zero bearing on what I deal with, day to day.

And trust me dude, I've been through just enough in the last 2 years alone to not give an ounce of **** about this team, because it's trivial, win or lose. It's a game. Theres some perspective for you, Jedi master. That's REAL life, not whatever crap  you wanna push about life as it pertains to the Redskins signing some gump ass free agent, or predicting a win or loss.

And the most peculiar part comes with you (and other strange as hell people) talking about  how awesome their life is because they're so positive about the Redskins... Well um, clearly it's not positive enough, because you feel the need to crawl up anyone  else's ass that dare rain (apparently) on your little  "Sunshine" parade, like some snake oil Evangelical. That act (and others like yours) has worn thin.

It's childish, and HIGHLY insulting to those of us who have been to hell and back ( if that's you, then sorry to burst your bubble, but you aren't the only one), and if you really are someone who's been through a heaping ton in this world, then you would know that stuff like "I'm just older and (I'm assuming therefore) smarter than you" is said by none other than morons of the highest order.

How about you take your own catchprase, and "Be better"

Or don't be. 

Decided I will post this here!!!

I have been in deep thought about the Redskins retaining the rights to Reuben Foster and all the backlash that has happened because of it.  I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the accusers past of false allegations, but if it is true then I don't want him on the Redskins or in the NFL for that matter.  Which brings me to my next point, why doesn't the NFL adopt a code of conduct like the UCMJ?  I mean I hold a security clearance and if I did any of these things that NFL players are caught doing, I lose my job!!!!  Why am I and people of the armed forces held to a higher standard, then people that are perceived to be role models because of their athletic ability or entertainment ability.  Why not create a code that if you are found guilty of any offense then you loose this job.  Our young children see Professional athletic players more than they see hard working people everyday.  Children see them getting away with all of these offenses and still making a life for themselves and it doesn't help our community, but if there were harder ethical restrictions to becoming an athlete, many kids would understand that in order to become an professional athlete or entertainer, I can't just do what I want to do.  If you tell people in the NFL, you smoke weed your out, no excuses then young people with that dream would follow suit.

3 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Learned that the hard way. Grabbed an apple at a farmers market. In five minutes I was vomiting. Have had more minor reactions to other fruits too. I ate all this stuff growing up, shame.

I think I get mild itching of the gums from apples.  It's another one that is affected by the birch pollen allergy.

With all due respect, I witnessed domestic violence plenty as a child, and know you guess others who have as well. I saw and  know of many people in everyday life who got away with it, and we're able to go out I to the world and be upstanding members of society. Military folk, business folk, church folk, teachers, doctors, etc.

The procession doesn't really matter. The theme is silence, and for others a combination of that and money. You can be a sanitation worker. The law works the way it does, and they slip through the cracks, until someone dies, and the cycle repeats somewhere else.

If you really care about stopping domestic violence, then restricting who and who doesn't  become an athlete won't get it done. The solution starts at home. The person the kid sees more than anyone else is the parent. Set the example. Teach as you go. Vote the right people into positions of power in the gov't. That's a start.

I believe the the statistic is 1 in 3 women. Let that sink in.

4 minutes ago, Chew said:

I just saw on Instagram that sursum Corda is being torn down to be replaced by high-end condos.

I've heard that DC has been gentrified to **** over the last 10 years, but damn. 

Parts of SoMD are bad now as a result of it.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

With all due respect, I witnessed domestic violence plenty as a child, and know you guess others who have as well. I saw and  know of many people in everyday life who got away with it, and we're able to go out I to the world and be upstanding members of society. Military folk, business folk, church folk, teachers, doctors, etc.

The procession doesn't really matter. The theme is silence, and for others a combination of that and money. You can be a sanitation worker. The law works the way it does, and they slip through the cracks, until someone dies, and the cycle repeats somewhere else.

If you really care about stopping domestic violence, then restricting who and who doesn't  become an athlete won't get it done. The solution starts at home. The person the kid sees more than anyone else is the parent. Set the example. Teach as you go. Vote the right people into positions of power in the gov't. That's a start.

I believe the the statistic is 1 in 3 women. Let that sink in.

Parts of SoMD are bad now as a result of it.

I came from a household with domestic violence and have seen many reformed as you stated, but that doesn't change the fact that there are people held to a higher standard, then what many state are role models, now I agree that it starts at home, in teaching your kids what a true role model is, but that still does not change the fact that in this social media, TV world we live in there is more influence from the entertainment and athletic fields than ever before.  Why not hold them to a higher standard as well?

20 minutes ago, dckey said:

I came from a household with domestic violence and have seen many reformed as you stated, but that doesn't change the fact that there are people held to a higher standard, then what many state are role models, now I agree that it starts at home, in teaching your kids what a true role model is, but that still does not change the fact that in this social media, TV world we live in there is more influence from the entertainment and athletic fields than ever before.  Why not hold them to a higher standard as well?

The days of the majority of athletes being good role models is long gone, sure there are some good ones out there, but not like it was back when I was growing up.  There wasn't any social media and a gazillion ways to get exposed for acting like an asshole or getting into trouble, etc.  And it seems as if a lot of them just don't care about being role models anyhow.  Heck, I probably thought a lot of them were role models and good people only because they weren't exposed for their true selves.

Hell, when I was young kid, like 12 years old, I can't remember where we were, but we got onto an elevator with JR Reid.  Being a huge UNC fan, I was in awe and looked up to those guys.  I asked him for his autograph and he said something like, "I'm not signing nothing" and something else (can't remember exactly) like to leave him alone.  My dad got pissed and told him he was an asshole :rofl89:

Point being, he wasn't a role model, didn't want to be, shouldn't be.  Today, if an athlete were to say that to a little kid, it would be recorded and all over social media and exposed for being a jerk.  See that is when I first learned that we give most athletes too much credit as a person and make them into what we want them to be and not who they really are.  Of course that lesson learned was later on as I got a little older and remembered that incident.  

17 minutes ago, dckey said:

We're getting there, but it's a slow process.

Just seemed like from the way you framed your post that you wanted athletes held to the same standard everyone else is, and I am saying that from my own experience, everyone else gets away with it too (It's that big of a problem). I don't see a stark contrast between athlete/famous person and Average Joe/Jane.

I agree that things need to change. I think where we differ slightly is why they need to change. Things are crazy now media/tv wise, sure, but I think no amount of tv/social media can penetrate all the way through a solid foundation laid by parents/family. It goes a long way, even if it's not perfect.

I can't really explain the "Role model" thing. Tv characters and athletes were never role models for me growing up. I grew up I  a household devoid of fairytales, and was firmly raised in reality. 

I just think you look a kid in the eye and tell them just enough so that they get it. But players being role models is not something I hold against them more than I do any other  person.

I do think as teammates though, they need to hold each other accountable in order to function at a high level, and maintain a positive environment.

2 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Stop trying to make athletes role models.

I know quite a few pro athletes. I don't idolize them and certainly don't consider them role models. 

Who is making them role models?  I don't put them in schools with kids promoting fitness (The NFL does);  I don't promote them building playgrounds on TV (The NFL does);  The NFL is I can teach my kids what role models are, but it still doesn't change what they see outside of my house also!!!

9 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I agree that things need to change. I think where we differ slightly is why they need to change. Things are crazy now media/tv wise, sure, but I think no amount of tv/social media can penetrate all the way through a solid foundation laid by parents/family. It goes a long way, even if it's not perfect.

t.

This is where I disagree, parents have to lay the foundation but back in the day you we were raised by a community (i know I was) we had people that helped raise us that was not just your parents, but social media/tv has changed that.  I didn't look at athletes as role models growing up either because I didn't see them outside of my house or on the news that often.  But now kids are stuck to social media, athletes and entertainers have more of a following. Back in the day you could be a jerk and no one would know, but now it is shown all over TV.  So with this new age, we need to hold people more accountable.  Like I stated earlier a doctor, lawyer and many other professions can loose there license and jobs for what some of these athletes do.  If you really are promoting athletes through the media (like they do now more than ever) than we need to hold them to a higher standard

1 minute ago, Kosher Ham said:

Wow. Wow. Geez Louise. 

Cue Charles Barkley commercial from back in the day. 

You just said that you are a bad parent or potential parent. That's the way it reads. 

If that's what you got from it, then maybe I am a bad writer!!!!  I just have a military mindset, I don't like that I am held to a higher standard than an athlete who is portrayed to be role models by the NFL and Media

47 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Stop trying to make athletes role models.

I know quite a few pro athletes. I don't idolize them and certainly don't consider them role models. 

That assumes that kids consciously choose who are role models. Or that they do it as a whole: Tim Duncan is my role model and I'll model my life on his alone. Realistically, they take some of athlete A and some of athlete B and mom/dad, etc. More often, the imitation of adults, is subconcious—a young boy who sees an adult male be violent toward a female may not act on it until he's in his late teens and has a girlfriend and she does something that pisses him off. There could be a decade between input and action. 

Also there's the mixed message of: look up to athletes—they sacrifice, they are disciplined, they are good teammates, generous to the community. But the same athlete that does those good things also punches his girlfriend.

Whoa!  There’s a lot to unpack there and I’m not even gonna try, but I will make a few points.

1.  I think very highly of you @Mr. Sinister.  You’re one of the wittier, more insightful presences on this board and you and I have had some good laughs in the past about a variety of topics.  So, I was in no way attempting to insult or demean you.  My comment was intended to be interpreted as a good-natured ribbing.  I probably should’ve used “wiser” instead of “smarter”.  My bad.

2.  But...you chose to interject in a convo between myself and another poster, which was also good-natured in tone, and quote me to let me know that I was “swimming in bs”.  So, that’s on you.

3.  My 70 year old mother is currently in home hospice with end-stage COPD.  I’m spending 2-3 nights a week at her house just cooking meals and supervising the nurses while we wind this thing down.  The docs are thinking maybe 6 months or so, probably less.  This is after she spent 45 days in cardiac ICU over the summer.  So, yeah...I know tough times and who doesn’t?  The crux of the matter is that challenges like that can really inform and mature ones perspective.  In my case, it allowed me to view the Redskins and really all sports as they should be viewed...a welcome distraction and a celebration of the human spirit.  Sounds corny, but it’s really true.

4.  As far as the “sunshine” thing goes, I’ve been saying that as a catchphrase in my real life for decades now.  I decided to import to the RTT because this is a great forum filled with some really cool folks.

And that’s all, PM if you wanna discuss it further.

25 minutes ago, dckey said:

If that's what you got from it, then maybe I am a bad writer!!!!  I just have a military mindset, I don't like that I am held to a higher standard than an athlete who is portrayed to be role models by the NFL and Media

I'm a military mindset also, born and raised. Higher standard is the expectation. 

You have the ability to be the major impact, on who children consider role models. Especially your own. 

So the media is the issue?  Are you trolling? 

Crudely... Be a great parent and role model for the next generation. 

Edit: that whole post  Try made should have been a PM. 

3 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

So the media is the issue?  Are you trolling? 

Like I stated before just a random thought as to why don't the NFL create a Code of ethics and just stand by that for everything.

Media is just the new norm, and No I'm not trolling LOL!!!!!

Thinking about going back to school, get my LPC.  Going to observe a class at University of San Diego next week.  Very scary and intimidating, it would be tons of hard work and it would take roughly 5 years before I am officially licensed, but I think it is something I would enjoy and be good at.

I'm also going to Tijuana this weekend.  I've been dating this sweet Mexican girl for a few months and she is from there.  We went previously last month and it is a whole other world.  She is from a rough neighborhood, it was extremely interesting to visit the home she grew up in.  She really made it from the ground up.  I admire her very much.

Just now, Chew said:

Romaine

Bruh, that was me the day before Thanksgiving when that news came out :rofl89:   I had just gotten back on track eating better, went to Domino's and grabbed a salad the Tuesday before, read the article, went on the Domino's website and pulled up the garden salad and the description read romaine blend (or something like that).

I was like

Image result for no yelling animated gif

Then like

Image result for im doomed animated gif

2 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Romaine lettuce has been off the menu for a few weeks. 

There is a better green option for you. If you know what I mean. 

It was a while back for a long while, but didn't this current recall get released just last Wed to the public?  The article I read was it had been reported starting in October, but there was a delay in us getting the information because it takes some time to link the actual e coli cases together (or something like that).  

Edit:  Yeah, from this article, this latest one the CDC warned two days before Thanksgiving.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/11/28/e-coli-outbreak-romaine-lettuce-growers-arizona-california-labels/2135830002/

Archived