Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

@ the beat comment:rofl89:  perfect wording for the subject.  Yes I'm still juvenile in my thinking lol.   Also made me think about an episode of Blue Mountain State.

GB be like this to his wife.......

NSFW - Explicit Language 

I LOVE Blue Mountain State! That show was so underrated. 

Just now, Gamebreaker said:

I LOVE Blue Mountain State! That show was so underrated. 

It was, I hated to see it get cancelled.  The movie was pretty bad though, I was hoping it would take place their senior year and wrap up the series and it was just way out there.  I did laugh at some parts, but it wasn't as good as the overall comedy they provided in the regular series.

31 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

my father in law was mid 40s when he got married and STARTED having kids.... and then he had 6.  He was in his 70s before they all got out of HS.   

he did fine.  

they did fine.

Of course they did fine.  But it comes down to a personal decision of what one is comfortable with or wants to be doing when they are older (say mid 50s +).  Me personally, I wouldn't want to be in my 40s or 50 to start having kids, I don't want to have to deal with that late in my working life up to retirement.  

Not that there is anything wrong with it or people that have children that late in their lives, just my personal preference on when to have kids.  If we had had my daughter when I started wanting to have kids (age 23-27), she would be graduating this year or in 3 years.  I didn't mind waiting on my wife to be ready and I'm glad we waited until I was 30 to start trying.  

I'm not going to be that old when she graduates, I just didn't want to be close to retirement when it happened.

...and... i was married for 10 years before i started having kids

the time before kids was awesome.   and kids would've really cut into freedom to do those things (i was dirt poor all through my 20s, and in grad school...but also floating a bit)

at SOME level... i would've resented the restriction on my freedom in my 20s... and i would've been a worse parent.

in my 40s... i am much more settled.  both in personality, and in situation.   My wants and desires are different.  everything is different.   My kids are the center of my universe... and it is good (no resentment AT ALL).

now... i will be less free in my 50s than i would've been had i had kids in my 20s...  I think the dividend i cashed in my 20s is worth the price i am going to pay in my 50s.    And i am much much much more ready to pay it now than i was.   

You're just being a wuss.

I want a gentle giant - a 150+ lb teddy bear.

Adopted a mastiff boxer mix puppy last year, whom I love, but he's maxed out at only 80 lbs.  200 would be perfect.

15 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

That dog is too damn big.  Next...

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

my father in law was mid 40s when he got married and STARTED having kids.... and then he had 6.  He was in his 70s before they all got out of HS.   

he did fine.  

they did fine.

Younger wife I presume....let them handle the hard stuff and it works fine.....real fine :)

I was 44 when the last kid graduated, wanted to wait but the doc told the wife now or probably never.

57 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

...and... i was married for 10 years before i started having kids

the time before kids was awesome.   and kids would've really cut into freedom to do those things (i was dirt poor all through my 20s, and in grad school...but also floating a bit)

at SOME level... i would've resented the restriction on my freedom in my 20s... and i would've been a worse parent.

in my 40s... i am much more settled.  both in personality, and in situation.   My wants and desires are different.  everything is different.   My kids are the center of my universe... and it is good (no resentment AT ALL).

now... i will be less free in my 50s than i would've been had i had kids in my 20s...  I think the dividend i cashed in my 20s is worth the price i am going to pay in my 50s.    And i am much much much more ready to pay it now than i was.   

I look back and I'm glad my wife wanted to wait until I was 30 before we started trying (she is two years younger than me).  At that point, we had been married 7 years and it made a huge difference, financially and mentally.  I just wanted to be no older than my early 50s when my child would graduate HS.  

It was more of a personal preference.  I used 50-54 as my benchmark for the next chapter in our lives once our child would be out of HS.  Even then, depending on what happens (college, etc.) will still impact what we do.  Our house will be paid off by then and it opens up a lot of options for us.  One possibility is renting out the house and moving closer to downtown (called uptown here in CLT - which I despise, so I call it downtown) into a condo or town home and being right smack in the middle of all the entertainment.  

We already know where we are living when we retire.  Wife has about 6 - 8 acres of land back where we grew up (her family's farm land) and we plan to move back and build a house out there.  Which is in the mountains/foothills of NC.

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I look back and I'm glad my wife wanted to wait until I was 30 before we started trying (she is two years younger than me).  At that point, we had been married 7 years and it made a huge difference, financially and mentally.  I just wanted to be no older than my early 50s when my child would graduate HS.  

It was more of a personal preference.  I used 50-54 as my benchmark for the next chapter in our lives once our child would be out of HS.  Even then, depending on what happens (college, etc.) will still impact what we do.  Our house will be paid off by then and it opens up a lot of options for us.  One possibility is renting out the house and moving closer to downtown (called uptown here in CLT - which I despise, so I call it downtown) into a condo or town home and being right smack in the middle of all the entertainment.  

We already know where we are living when we retire.  Wife has about 6 - 8 acres of land back where we grew up (her family's farm land) and we plan to move back and build a house out there.  Which is in the mountains/foothills of NC.

Sounds awesome :)

9 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

have you re-done the calculus..... accounting for your children living in your basement until they are 37? 

10 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

That is a potential retirement plan the wife and I have discussed before. My family has a good 50+ acres out in Enfield, NC. My mother owns a significant portion of that, and she'll likely be gone by the time we retire and we build a house down there. 

Archived