Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Sammi doesn't seem bad.

Honestly, the only person on the whole show who seems like a pain in the ass to deal with (besides Angelina obviously) is Ronnie when he's really drunk.

I like everyone bashing the Jersey Shore. I'm curious to know how much of the show you guys have actually watched. I'm not saying it's groundbreaking dramatic television, but I'm fairly certain it's not as easy to write off as you guys are making it out to be when you actually give it a chance.

Sat down, watched it, was completely reviled by it, turned switched the station, cursed humanity.

Is that a good enough chance?

Sat down, watched it, was completely reviled by it, turned switched the station, cursed humanity.

Is that a good enough chance?

I suppose that depends on whether you actually tried to watch it with an open mind or went into it thinking "let me see what the big deal is with these douchebags and skanks."

There's a lot of crap out there on TV these days. But Jersey Shore isn't representative of a lot of cookie cutter reality crap. It's just not. Everything on that show is done with a wink and underlying acknowledgment to the audience that a lot of it is a joke. Earlier this season in an episode, The Situation wants to get business going at the ice cream store they work at in Miami, so he goes outside thinking he's hot stuff with his abs and will attract girls to come buy ice cream. Instead, a montage shows him fumbling around trying to talk some women, getting burned, and Snookie finally comes out and jokes on him for being creepy, and then he feels like an idiot over all of it.

Later, Vinny, Pauly D, and The Situation all get ready for their guys' night out, which they call "MVP night," and explain the long process they each take in getting ready before inevitably going to the club and picking up a ton of girls. Instead, they go out, find the club somewhat empty with only relatively unattractive girls, but are so hammered and consumed by beer goggles they just try to make the best of it until sobering up later on and realizing their mistake with all of the trashy girls they invited back home to party.

The show has this stereotype among people who hate it (like ACW for an easy example, who I would bet has never seen more than a commercial for the show, if that) that it's all about partying and glamorizing these people hooking up non-stop, getting wasted, and promoting this ridiculous MTV-fed lifestyle. But in reality, about 50% of the time they're screwing things up, getting into embarrassing predicaments, and coming across as completely normal people who get into the same kind of awkward social situations that most of the rest of us do. They don't come across like douchey rock stars. As long as the show (and the cast) keeps this self-awareness of how silly it all really is, it's not the embodiment of evil on television.

Also, MissU is probably the only one in this thread who would care, but I met a girl the other night who hung out with Pauly D and Situation when they were filming in Miami last spring and she said they couldn't have been nicer. Pauly D even bought her and her girl friends some drinks right before they left to go to another club to meet up with other cast members.

I like everyone bashing the Jersey Shore. I'm curious to know how much of the show you guys have actually watched. I'm not saying it's groundbreaking dramatic television, but I'm fairly certain it's not as easy to write off as you guys are making it out to be when you actually give it a chance.

It's really not that bad. It's like the Real World, which I have watched pretty much every season since its inception. My boyfriend watches the Real World with me, but he didn't watch Jersey Shore....but I got him into it. He watches it with me now, but I don't think he'd admit that he likes it.

The people on it aren't as douchey as everyone makes them out to be. Yeah, some of them look kinda silly and the some of the stuff they do is a little out there, but they're just young people in their mid-twenties having a good time.

I suppose that depends on whether you actually tried to watch it with an open mind or went into it thinking "let me see what the big deal is with these douchebags and skanks."

There's a lot of crap out there on TV these days. But Jersey Shore isn't representative of a lot of cookie cutter reality crap. It's just not. Everything on that show is done with a wink and underlying acknowledgment to the audience that a lot of it is a joke. Earlier this season in an episode, The Situation wants to get business going at the ice cream store they work at in Miami, so he goes outside thinking he's hot stuff with his abs and will attract girls to come buy ice cream. Instead, a montage shows him fumbling around trying to talk some women, getting burned, and Snookie finally comes out and jokes on him for being creepy, and then he feels like an idiot over all of it.

Later, Vinny, Pauly D, and The Situation all get ready for their guys' night out, which they call "MVP night," and explain the long process they each take in getting ready before inevitably going to the club and picking up a ton of girls. Instead, they go out, find the club somewhat empty with only relatively unattractive girls, but are so hammered and consumed by beer goggles they just try to make the best of it until sobering up later on and realizing their mistake with all of the trashy girls they invited back home to party.

The show has this stereotype among people who hate it (like ACW for an easy example, who I would bet has never seen more than a commercial for the show, if that) that it's all about partying and glamorizing these people hooking up non-stop, getting wasted, and promoting this ridiculous MTV-fed lifestyle. But in reality, about 50% of the time they're screwing things up, getting into embarrassing predicaments, and coming across as completely normal people who get into the same kind of awkward social situations that most of the rest of us do. They don't come across like douchey rock stars. As long as the show (and the cast) keeps this self-awareness of how silly it all really is, it's not the embodiment of evil on television.

Also, MissU is probably the only one in this thread who would care, but I met a girl the other night who hung out with Pauly D and Situation when they were filming in Miami last spring and she said they couldn't have been nicer. Pauly D even bought her and her girl friends some drinks right before they left to go to another club to meet up with other cast members.

You bring up some good points. I'll admit that this season I've watched the show a little bit and can say that its definitely not the worst thing I've ever seen.

However, my college attracts a lot of people from New Jersey. When that show came out last year it was like a bomb exploded. All of a sudden these people from New Jersey, including people that I knew pretty well, started acting like these Jersey Shore douchebags who pretended like they had been like that for years. It's not so much the show that I hate, its a lot of the people it attracts that bothers me.

hahaha

I do love me some Pauly D.

It's really not that bad. It's like the Real World, which I have watched pretty much every season since its inception. My boyfriend watches the Real World with me, but he didn't watch Jersey Shore....but I got him into it. He watches it with me now, but I don't think he'd admit that he likes it.

The people on it aren't as douchey as everyone makes them out to be. Yeah, some of them look kinda silly and the some of the stuff they do is a little out there, but they're just young people in their mid-twenties having a good time.

See, I think the Real World is total crap now.

The original purpose of the Real World was this social experiment on TV, openly discussing things like AIDS, homosexuality, substance abuse, etc., and how it impacted the lives of young adults in front of the MTV audience. That was 20 years ago though. Now it's just stereotyped casting designed to create tension between members within the house for cheap ratings, but it's still produced and marketed like it's relevant to pop culture, when it's clearly not anymore.

The worst are those Real World/Road Rules Challenges. Somebody really needs to end those.

The original purpose of the Real World was this social experiment on TV, openly discussing things like AIDS, homosexuality, substance abuse, etc., and how it impacted the lives of young adults in front of the MTV audience. That was 20 years ago though. Now it's just stereotyped casting designed to create tension between members within the house for cheap ratings, but it's still produced and marketed like it's relevant to pop culture, when it's clearly not anymore.

The worst are those Real World/Road Rules Challenges. Somebody really needs to end those.

Oh I love it just for those reasons. There have been some crazies on the show these past few seasons. Under the craziness, even though the casting is stereotypical, there are still valid discussions about hot topics. The past few episodes have been focusing on one of the girls who had been involved in physical abuse from a previous boyfriend.

Yeah, it's not emmy-winning television, but it's definitely entertaining.

I don't watch the Challenge shows, though. I've never liked them. I never liked Road Rules, either.

You bring up some good points. I'll admit that this season I've watched the show a little bit and can say that its definitely not the worst thing I've ever seen.

However, my college attracts a lot of people from New Jersey. When that show came out last year it was like a bomb exploded. All of a sudden these people from New Jersey, including people that I knew pretty well, started acting like these Jersey Shore douchebags who pretended like they had been like that for years. It's not so much the show that I hate, its a lot of the people it attracts that bothers me.

Well yeah, that I agree with.

It's really obnoxious to hear people use quotes from the show or pretend like they're The Situation or something.

There's definitely a huge following of douchebags who follow the show and take it seriously. Unfortunately, those people are all over the place. But that's more of a statement of how dumb they are for not being able to get the joke of The Jersey Shore than a testament to how bad The Jersey Shore legitimately is as a television product.

Besides, people like that are going to act like idiots somehow, no matter what show or movie is popular. If it wasn't The Jersey Shore, it'd just be something else that they'd be desperately trying to imitate.

They went to Austin, the nice part of Texas.

Hey, I love Austin as well. In fact, if there was any place I could choose to move to, it'd be Austin. It is my favorite place in Texas. But the two biggest cities in the US to never host a RW has to be Houston and Dallas. I'd love for them to come here just so I can throw feces on them.

Hey, I love Austin as well. In fact, if there was any place I could choose to move to, it'd be Austin. It is my favorite place in Texas. But the two biggest cities in the US to never host a RW has to be Houston and Dallas. I'd love for them to come here just so I can throw feces on them.

Too damn hot there....and seriously, what would anyone do in those two cities

Too damn hot there....and seriously, what would anyone do in those two cities

Houston sucks, so they can surely stay way from there. But if you think there's nothing to do in Dallas then LOL @ you.

Besides, all RW is now is getting drunk on the town. And there are plenty of places to get drunk here. Perfect for the RW cast. :ols:

Funny story about Pauly D. In season 1 when they go to Providence in AC, right before they head back to the hotel room and Jwoww punches The Situation, Pauly is hooking up with a blonde. I dated her a couple of years back before her boob job. Her name is Jessica.

The girl who Mike "pulled the robbery on" and stole her from Vinny is her best friend and they enter beauty contests together all of the time in NJ.

Weird seeing them go from Elementary school and playing on the basketball team that my dad coached, to a small showing on JS.

Real World started going downhill after the Seattle season... Then they went directly to New Orleans to finish it off... I loved Seattle and New Orleans, but there were some things that you could tell wouldn't be good if it kept going that way...

As far as Road Rules, I think the Australia was the final "good" season... But that's because they had my all time reality TV crush "Susie" (I think).... :drool:

I'd like to fess up and say I've never seen an episode or anything regarding Jersey Shore. Maybe because I've spent the last 6 months in Afghanistan and the 8 months before that in Germany without American broadcasting. From what I'm reading about it though, I'm actually pretty thankful...

The show has this stereotype among people who hate it (like ACW for an easy example, who I would bet has never seen more than a commercial for the show, if that)
Oh yeah, single ME out. I mean, even though you're RIGHT, it's still not fair :cry: :ols:

You also helped upend the Southern California burger world as we know it: Fast Food Maven reports a shocker in Zagat's new fast-food restaurant ratings: where champ In-N-Out was beaten out by newcomer (to the L.A. area) Five Guys.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2010/08/onetwo-punch-fried-butter-burgers.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimesdailydish+%28Daily+Dish+Blog%29&utm_content=Google+International

Archived