Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What thoughts go thru your head when you see the Confederate flag?

Thanos

I, like Predicto, used to have the rebel flag in my house and on my truck when I was a fisherman. I was young, naieve and didn't get the meaning of it at the time, and it wasn't until later that I realized what it conveys to others. I now am repulsed by my own actions, as to me it stands for hatred and bigotry, I didn't get it whan I was younger, but I do now.

I am repulsed by your actions all the time.

You echo my thoughts exactly, except I always take it a step further and call it a treasanous act

The fact that southern leaders nowadays can be seen as "honorable" is a joke to me. Even Lee, who although was a man of integrity and character, led an army whose goal was to SPLIT the Union for an unjust cause

The cause of the CSA cannot even be compared to the cause of the Colonies a few generations earlier. Maybe the spirit of '76 still lived on in some southern leaders, I don't know, but there cause was not one of freedom or justice it was a cause of states rights to maintain an absurd institution.

The act of seccestion was an act of treason. And the fact that it is not portrayed in that light absolutley baffles me

I agree with what you and a lot of people have said on here about slavery, but you also have to remember that Regionalism was a huge factor in those days and it is much different now. I think that while Slavery led many to war, it was Regionalism that solidified the rest behind them.

"Yay!! Let's celebrate racism!"

Just answering honestly...I can't buy the argument about the stars 'n' bars representing "the South" or "Southern pride" or anything like that. The only history it represents is the South attempting to secede from the Union, one of the bloodiest wars in US history, and slavery. :whoknows: I have know idea how anyone could honestly look at that flag and feel an ounce of pride.

Why do so many people think the Civil War was over slavery? Can't we all just read the history books and finally realize the Southern States seceeded from the Union because Lincoln had US troops mobilized against Virginia. That's why it all started, bottom line. Slavery wasn't isolated to the south, there were slaves in every state in this United States. You all act as if a bunch of rednecks got together and said "woo hoo lets go fight to own slaves" Didn't happen. Lincoln saw the opportunity to abolish slavery during the Civil War which was the right thing to do. It was a bi-product of the Civil War but not the reason it was fought.

That being said, unfortunately ignorant people like to use the Rebel flag as a badge for their hatred but not all of us see it that way. Some of us are proud that our ancestors fault for what they believed in and at the time they thought they were right. History has proven otherwise but if that's all you know and someone is trying to tell you you're wrong then you can see why they felt so strongly in their beliefs.

I am repulsed by your actions all the time.

You don't even know the man. You've never met him. You've never seen, heard about, or been involved in any of his actions. You may not like what he has to say, but there are alot of people on this board who would say the same about you. But do you hear anyone saying they're repusled by your actions all of the time? No. Hell, I wouldn't even been so bold as to say that I'm repulsed by your WORDS all of the time.

Grow up, and quit being so bitter. No one owes you anything, no one has to make you happy, and no one cares what you have to say at this point.

You don't even know the man. You've never met him. You've never seen, heard about, or been involved in any of his actions. You may not like what he has to say, but there are alot of people on this board who would say the same about you. But do you hear anyone saying they're repusled by your actions all of the time? No. Hell, I wouldn't even been so bold as to say that I'm repulsed by your WORDS all of the time.

Grow up, and quit being so bitter. No one owes you anything, no one has to make you happy, and no one cares what you have to say at this point.

Wow, someone got their panties all twisted up. What, are you and chommie lovers or something? :laugh:

Let me throw out a little analogy. What if tomorrow bush decided to send US troops, not Guard but US military troops to california and attack anyone who didn't believe in the US war in Iraq? Would California and the states that shared it's views not be justified in rising up against the US? Times have changed and this may seem ludacris but times were different over a 100yrs ago.

Let me throw out a little analogy. What if tomorrow bush decided to send US troops, not Guard but US military troops to california and attack anyone who didn't believe in the US war in Iraq? Would California and the states that shared it's views not be justified in rising up against the US? Times have changed and this may seem ludacris but times were different over a 100yrs ago.

And let me ask you a question - what do apples and oranges have in common?

Ok so my question remains: At what point do you censor an image that has been determined by a group of people to be offensive?

I don't think censoring it is the right idea. I do however think people who support it should wise up and realize that it is widely considered offensive and serves no actual purpose. If someone could give me a good reason why that symbol is still being used i would consider changing my stance. But i can't for the life of me understand why people take pride in a country that was around for 5 years, over 150 years ago and is known only for having slaves and losing a war.

Ok so my question remains: At what point do you censor an image that has been determined by a group of people to be offensive?

who's doing the censoring? big difference between censorship and good taste/common sense. Not sure where you're going with that one. :2cents:

I don't think censoring it is the right idea. I do however think people who support it should wise up and realize that it is widely considered offensive and serves no actual purpose. If someone could give me a good reason why that symbol is still being used i would consider changing my stance. But i can't for the life of me understand why people take pride in a country that was around for 5 years, over 150 years ago and is known only for having slaves and losing a war.

It's called heritage. There are plenty of folks that actually celebrate their ancestry and there are many groups out there like the Sons of the Confederate veterans that are proud of their heritage. Remember, 99% of the Confederate soldiers did not own slaves and I bet most of them probably didn't agree with slavery. Slavery was unique to the southern "aristocrat".

I can't understand why people listen to music that promotes violence is derogative towards women...

I think the fact is its a cool looking flag. Thats the real reason people don't want to let it go.

It's called heritage. There are plenty of folks that actually celebrate their ancestry and there are many groups out there like the Sons of the Confederate veterans that are proud of their heritage. Remember, 99% of the Confederate soldiers did not own slaves and I bet most of them probably didn't agree with slavery. Slavery was unique to the southern "aristocrat".

Fine, but the problem is 99% of the people who wave that flag are ignorant rednecks who have no idea about the heritage of the south. And you can't tell me that most people don't automatically associate the symbol with bad mojo. Maybe its not fair - but there it is. There is NO need for that symbol to still exist, there are plenty of other was to show your southern pride.

And slavery was not unique to the southern "aristocrats" - northerns and middle to upper-middle class citizens owned them too.

I made my point about that with Redskins logo. Try and explain the difference.

Again, apples and oranges. You are comparing a football team's logo to what is widely considered one of the most hateful, racist, and ignorant symbols in the history of man. I understand that the stars and bars aren't evil in nature but that is what they have grown to symbolize - unfair, but oh well. Should have fought harder, *******.

Archived