Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNNSI: Top Super Bowl Coaches of All Time (merged)

Clinton "F'n" Portis

I get what you are saying, but I think they say Top Coaches IN the SB, not Top Coaches to reach the SB. Therefore, if you only look at the SB's, anyone with a losing record must not make the list IMO.

Good point, I guess I must have missed that part. But if that's the criteria they're using, shouldn't Bill Walsh (3-0) be ahead of Joe Gibbs (3-1)? Also Tom Flores was 2-0 with the Raiders and George Seifert was 2-0 with the Niners so they both beat Stramm and Eubanks' records and are tied with Shanahan/Parcells and Lombardi. Where's Flores and Seifert?

I still think this list is bogus by whatever criteria they want to use.

I am biased, but I believe Gibbs is the best. Belichick has won with the same QB everytime. Knoll also won with basically the same team. In my opinion Gibbs and Walsh are the 2 best and Gibbs beats him out because of how widely his rosters varied compared to other mulitple SB winners.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/01/25/gallery.coach/index.6.exclude.html

No. 10

Mike Shanahan

No. 9

Weeb Ewbank

No. 8

Bill Parcells

No. 7

Hank Stram

No. 6

Bill Walsh

No. 5

Vince Lombardi

No. 4

Jimmy Johnson

No. 3

Joe Gibbs

He won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks (Joe Theismann in Super Bowl XVII, Doug Williams in Super Bowl XXII and Mark Rypien in Super Bowl XVI) and deserves credit for spreading his victories out over a 10-year period. For the most part, Gibbs was the main constant on those teams.

gibbs.jpg

No. 2

Bill Belichick

No. 1

Chuck Noll

Welll...I guess...its hard to juggle the variable between those three and split them up...they almost should just be their own equal group...gibbs did with different people in key positions over time...noll did 4 and created truly awesome teams...belli did it during the cap years and 3 for 4....

Well, thats fair I would say. Gibbs is #3, Noll has one more and Belichick as said before did it in the CAP era (though i would argue its STILL harder to win 3 over a 10 year span for the exact reason that all your or most of your players are different. Whereas winning 3 out of 4 your still in the same cycle of things with most of your players.)

(though i would argue its STILL harder to win 3 over a 10 year span for the exact reason that all your or most of your players are different. Whereas winning 3 out of 4 your still in the same cycle of things with most of your players.)

That's an excellent point that is often overlooked. Obviously, we are all homers here, and there is at least a small part of all of us that thinks Gibbs is a better coach than Bellicek. (he is, though, seriously). I think Gibbs having won 3 SBs with 3 diff QBs has almost become trite, and we have all forgotten how impressive that really is. That is a remarkeable achievement. How many would he have won if he had a Tom Brady? Or a Joe Montana? Gibbs had a revolving door of journeymen (for the most part). Truly remarkeable.

No offense to Noll, but I just don't believe he's the #1. Four SBs or not. He rode pretty much the same HoF (not his fault) group of guys to 4 Bowls with the same QB throughout.

Bill B has done the same with Tom Brady. Yes, he gets credit for getting 3 in 4 years and all that, but again---Tom Brady.

I submit also, that it was HARDER to win back then because your top competition was so good in comparison to the league (though I wonder about the 'parity' argument, if it's actually as credible as people assume.)

I'd put Lombardi at #1 with Noll at #4 and Walsh at #5. Jimmy Johnson had a great run in Dallas, but I think his stint in Miami showed that it was more than just him. What did he do that Shanahan didn't?

And if the Seahawks win the SB, Holmgren has to move onto that list.

Jimmy Johnson should not be that high. Barry Switzer proved that any coach could win a Super Bowl with that kind of talent. And I think Gibbs’ and Belichick’s positions should be swapped; Knoll, Gibbs, Belichick. And I agree; if Holmgren wins with, he’ll have won two with two different QB’s and he should move into the top 5. JMHO.

That's an excellent point that is often overlooked. Obviously, we are all homers here, and there is at least a small part of all of us that thinks Gibbs is a better coach than Bellicek. (he is, though, seriously). I think Gibbs having won 3 SBs with 3 diff QBs has almost become trite, and we have all forgotten how impressive that really is. That is a remarkeable achievement. How many would he have won if he had a Tom Brady? Or a Joe Montana? Gibbs had a revolving door of journeymen (for the most part). Truly remarkeable.

100% RIGHT--NO 200% Right, Joe Gibbs is the only coach to win three superbowls without using Hall of Fame QuarterBacks, hell without a Hall of Fame Wideout(Art Monk still not in the Hall), IMO that makes Gibbs number one.--Noll had Bradshaw and Swann, Walsh had Montana and Rice, Even though Bellicek only has Brady he is still a Hall of Fame Quarterback after he retires, so give credit where it is do, 3 rings 2 of them came with Doug Williams and Mark Rypien- they both put together don't make a Hall of Fame Quarterback ( not hating just being Honest) I'm not so sure Noll, Walsh, and Bellicek could win using these two Qbs, but it is a lot easier with a HOF QB.

Gibbs won 3 SB with 3 very different teams. All 3 teams had different players at key positions, and (even more to Gibb's credit) they really had very different schemes.

All the other coaches mentioned rode one team (basically) for a string of wins in a short time.

I think a very cogent argument could be made for JG as the greatest football coach period. I think he is consistently short-shrifted, even when called the #3 SB coach of all time.

Gibbs is in about the right place.

But the list is horrible. Where's Tom Landry? Where's Don Shula?

I'm sorry but Landry winning 2 and appearing in 5 and Don Shula winning 2 and appearing in 6 is far far far more impressive than Mike Shanahan, Bill Parcells, Hank Stramm and certainly Weeb Ewbank.

What a joke.

Agreed. Landry and Shula both deserve to be on the list.

To put that twerp Belichick ahead of Joe Gibbs is a travesty. Gibbs' teams were far superior to any of the Patriot teams.

The way the Patriots have consistently won during the free agency era of football is amazing, so cut the homeless looking head coach some slack. As long as Joe Gibbs is ahead of Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells we're good.

I think it is pretty good. It is very respectable to be at #3, considering who falls 4 - 10 on that list. I'm just surprised the biased SI writers didn't put Landry on the list. The guy didn't do much, but the media always blows smoke up his butt, just like Tuna Fat.

Archived