Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor Jacobs Please Take off #84

Lavar5150

Whatever happened to Cliff Russell? We used a 2nd Rd draft pick to get him, out of Utah I believe.

I know he tore up knee is rookie season but I haven't heard a thing about him since then.

Did he not recover from the knee injury or was he just not a Gibbs guy?

Unbelievable the 2 high draft picks we watsed on Jacobs and Cliff Russell.

Cliff Russell had hands of stone. He was the worst recent WR draftee for the Skins..

The way bubba defends Jacobs - I'm convinced that bubba IS jacobs.

If I was Brunell - I wouldn't look Jacob's way either. It is like throwing to a tire on a rope hanging under a tree. Even if you are dead on - the football won't be caught.

My man. :applause: How ANYONE could defend Taylor Jacobs is beyond me.

Cliff Russell had hands of stone. He was the worst recent WR draftee for the Skins..

So why in the hell did we draft him in the 2nd rd?

I am completely baffled by the scouting process. How do they not realize I guy cannot catch?

Do we have to waste a 2nd rd pick on a guy to find out that he can't catch a football?

I mean I can understand it in baseball because the game is different, someone migh be a great high school or college hitter and get drafted high and then be a bust because he just can't hit professional pitching, that happens.

But in football I don't see how you can miss the fact that a WR just can't catch.

I know its been said a million times but our lack of drafting well has really killed this organization and its not just the high profile bust like Desmond Howard and Heath Shuler, its the bad 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rd picks.

Bubba,

You have any info on what happened to Cliff Russell? I just don't understand why would draft a WR in the 2nd rd and then never see him in action.

I realize he was hurt his rookie season but don't you atleast have to guy a shot?

Russell was drafted in the 4th round. He was a longshot.

Russell was drafted in the 4th round. He was a longshot.

Actually we were both wrong.

3rd rd, 87th pick.

Either way that is an awful pick. You can still pick up some pretty solid players in the 3rd rd and we draft a guy that can't catch a damn football.

I just remember the first Giants game when Ramsey came in and he hit Jacobs. Plus I remember the Chicago game when Ramsey hit Patten. I kinda think that Brunell wasn't as confident in Jacobs as he should have been. But in defense of Brunell, Jacobs was not ay separation except on a few plays. Given Brunell missed those plays, but every WR goes through that. The point for him is to go back to the huddle pissed off like "I'm open every play, give me the ball." I'm not seeing that part of Jacobs yet.

Honestly, thats kinda something I dont see in any of our WRs except for Moss. Nobody seems to have that burning desire to get the ball, or maybe its that nobody has that special ability to get open.

But I just think that if Ramsey were in there he'd be trying to get the ball to them in a lot of these tight coverages, and Jacobs would probably have better stats, and Ramsey would have more pics. But the offense would be moving. Remember that first Chicago game, the ball was moving up and down the field until Ramsey got hurt. Then Brunell came in and played a Klye Orton type game, which won us the game so I'm not mad. But a part of choosing the QB thats not gonna lose the game by throwing the crucial pick is that he's also the QB thats less likely to win the game by throwing the game-winning TD (except Dallas.....that was just beautiful), you get my point.

i miss derrius thompson

derrius is out of a job now.. i am friends with him and i talked to him the other day.. he is back at home in dallas nursing his groin after miami reached an injury settlement with him.... the titans were gonna give him a shot mid season but he failed the physical, so his agent van mcleroy is trying to shop him this offseason to see if there is any interest

I was actually pulling for Jacobs to do well Saturday. I kind of figured that this was probably going to be his last chance to show that he belongs in the NFL.

But then he dropped a pass that was right in his hands on 3rd down. Ok, fine, he is only human. But then later on he is out of the game, sitting on the bench because he was sick. I have been pulling for Jacobs to shine since he has been here, but I have also watched other players in the NFL play while throwing up on the field, migraines, pulled hammies and even two broken thumbs.

Needless to say, I won't be wasting my time on trying to defend Taylor Jacobs's rights to a fair chance at a starting position any more. Players like Sean Taylor impressed the hell out of me during the game with how he gave his body up in deflecting that pass in the endzone...BRILLANT. That was one of the most athletic moves that I have seen all season from any player in the league.

That's not an argument. That's a conclusion.

How do Patten's numbers compare with Jacobs numbers?

Patten caught 22 balls in 9 games. Jacobs caught 11 in 15 games. Even if you excuse Jacobs' 2004 season and blame it on Brunell's struggles and injury, he's got 30 catches over three NFL seasons. Taylor Jacobs is NOT an NFL calibre receiver. Patten on average will get you about 700 yards and a couple of touchdowns. I'd rather see him try to get his numbers from the #3 spot.

*edit* For some reason, the stats jumbled beyond repair when I posted them. But if you go to NFL.com, you can see in black and white what I posted above.

I was pulling for Jacobs to have a big game. I saw flashes of his abilities when he was at Florida, but not much since his final college game against Maryland just before he was drafted. I keep hearing how he does great in practice but yet I never see it in games. When Patten went down Jacobs had a chance to step it up but didn't. Makes me wonder why we didn't draft Bethel Johnson. But I know why. Spurrier was the coach at the time.

One of the things that should have factored into the decision to draft (or not to) Tyler Jenkins was the fact that Gator WRs have a long history of being NFL busts. OTOH in this case the plan was to put him into the same offense he played in college so in a way I can understand it. Even so there's a reason all the other teams, some of them twice, passed on him. A real GM (there you go with that again) would have had the power and influence to tell SOS "No, we're going to wait to pick him up in the 3rd round if he's there".

At this point I don't think there's much reason to cut him. Given his special teams skills, it would probably be better to just demote him to the bottom of the WR depth chart and forget EVER playing him in a game. Of course if a better prospect comes along that shows some promise of ever being able to crack the backup lineup then obviously that changes things.

Whoever brought up Doss got me to thinking who could we have had instead. There were a LOT of players taken in the 2nd and 3rd round that would have contributed a heck of a lot more to this team than Jenkins ever will...Umenyiora, Bolden, Doss, Simms, L.J. Smith, Burleson and Curtis immediately come to mind but obviously there's more. Oh, I almost forgot to add Chris Brown to this list.

44 Washington Taylor Jacobs WR Florida

45 New England Bethel Johnson WR Texas A&M

46 San Diego Drayton Florence CB Tuskegee

47 Kansas City Kawika Mitchell MLB South Florida

48 Buffalo Chris Kelsay DE Nebraska

49 Miami Eddie Moore OLB Tennessee

50 Carolina Bruce Nelson C Iowa

51 Denver Terry Pierce OLB Kansas State

52 Cleveland Chaun Thompson OLB West Texas A&M

53 N.Y. Jets Victor Hobson OLB Michigan

54 Arizona Anquan Boldin WR Florida State

55 Atlanta Bryan Scott SS Penn State

56 N.Y. Giants Osi Umenyiora DE Troy State

57 San Francisco Anthony Adams DT Penn State

58 Indianapolis Mike Doss SS Ohio State

59 Pittsburgh Alonzo Jackson OLB Florida State

60 Tennessee Tyrone Calico WR Middle Tennessee

61 Philadelphia L.J. Smith TE Rutgers

62 San Diego Terrence Kiel SS Texas A&M

63 Oakland Teyo Johnson TE Stanford

64 Tampa Bay Dewayne White DE Louisville

Round 3

Sel# Team Player Pos. School

65 Cincinnati Kelley Washington WR Tennessee

66 Detroit Cory Redding DT Texas

67 Houston Antwan Peek OLB Cincinnati

68 Chicago Lance Briggs OLB Arizona

69 Dallas Jason Witten TE Tennessee

70 Arizona Gerald Hayes MLB Pittsburgh

71 Minnesota Nate Burleson WR Nevada

72 Jacksonville Vincent Manuwai G Hawaii

73 Seattle Wayne Hunter T Hawaii

74 St. Louis Kevin Curtis WR Utah State

75 Houston Seth Wand T N.W. Missouri

76 Carolina Mike Seidman TE UCLA

77 Baltimore Musa Smith RB Georgia

78 Miami Wade Smith T Memphis

79 Green Bay Kenny Peterson DT Ohio State

80 San Diego Courtney VanBuren T Arkansas-Pine Bluff

81 Washington Derrick Dockery G Texas

82 Carolina Ricky Manning CB UCLA

83 Oakland Sam Williams DE Fresno State

84 Cleveland Chris Crocker FS Marshall

85 N.Y. Jets B.J. Askew FB Michigan

86 New Orleans Cie Grant MLB Ohio State

87 Miami Taylor Whitley G Texas A&M

88 Houston Dave Ragone QB Louisville

89 San Francisco Andrew Williams DE Miami

90 Indianapolis Donald Strickland CB Colorado

91 N.Y. Giants Visanthe Shiancoe TE Morgan State

92 Kansas City Julian Battle CB Tennessee

93 Tennessee Chris Brown RB Colorado

94 Buffalo Angelo Crowell OLB Virginia

95 Philadelphia Billy McMullen WR Virginia

96 Oakland Justin Fargas RB Southern California

97 Tampa Bay Chris Simms QB Texas

Actually looking back at that draft there are recognizable names all the way through the last round. In general there are two things that those late drafted players have in common. First, they were frequently drafted by the Patsies, an organization whose draft day management has been likened to ours by someone on this board. Secondly, none of them were drafted by us. Great:rolleyes:

Here's hoping we continue to improve in this area. Of course the first step on that road to improvement would be the exit of a one V. Cerrato.

Archived