Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hardest hitter in Redskins history?

Spaceman Spiff

Good choices all..for me as far as pure hitting goes, say as opposed to overall tacking (have to split hairs here among the greats), I'd have to say walton, houston, huff, in that order...with lavar when he's at his best...and ST heading for the undisputed title if he keeps it up...but worthy of mention with fischer, hanburger, cherry, and edwards in the second tier is a middle linebacker we had help us win 2 SB's and was our MVP in '88...one tough SOB...Niel Olkewicz...smart dude too.

Well, according to Troy Aikman...that would be Lavar Arrington. He said he has never been hit as hard as he was by LaVar.

I think a strong second would be Dexter Manley OR Sean Taylor.

:applause:I'm with you, bro. I got to go with the most historic hits in Redskins history.

1) Danny White was a nice trophy for Dexter Manley in one of the biggest games in Redskin history.

2) Troy Aikman was an even nicer HOF trophy and legendary as it was the last play of his career (like LT & Theismann) but not as big of a game as Dexter Manley's.

Everything else is a blur of distant thirds to those but...

* Sean Taylor's ball-popping hit on Patrick Crayton's converted 4rth down (that is one I know will stand out as time goes by)

I feel lucky we got two of those hitters going into this playoff game.

As soon as I seen this thread I knew Alvin Waltons name would be all over it. It seems Brad Edwards great game will never be forgotten, I remember the hit where Beebe would have caught the ball at the one but Edwards nailed him and Beebe dropped it.

Wilbur Marshall though, ooooo, could that guy lay the wood. I remember a game vs the Eagles where he put Eagles RB Heath Sherman into next week. Also remember him in the Super Bowl bashing Kieth McKeller pretty good.

Anyone remember the NFC Championshiop game that year where he buried Erik Krammer and the ball was fumbled. Alvoid Mayes picked it up and ran it in for a score but the officials somehow gave the ball to the Lions!

One other guy who needs a mention in this thread................Monte Coleman, that guy buried people but being the underrated guy he always was, he never gets a mention so here's one from me Monte.

Of the current team, of course ST gets mentions, but Mike Sellers whacks people hard every week on special teams.

Lavar's hits look more impressive than any Redskin I ever saw. I watched Fischer, Houston, Walton, Manley, Wilbur Marshal, Ken harvey, you name 'em. If they played after '69 I saw 'em. Lavar puts a pretty dramatic pop on players. I hope he gets back to 100% and decides to take less money. I was angry at him a week ago but this thread made me think about how awesome he could be again if he applies himself.

I say Alvin Walton, and Lavar. Remember LA ended a bamas career. Alvin would do some serious damage. Sean Taylor has a little ways to go. At least he needs to wrap up and bring the ball carrier down. He wants to hit so hard that he misses tackles. Not dogging him, but let's give him a little time.

Actually, I think Taylor's tackling technique is better than most. If you watch him, he does wrap up more often that not, IMO.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt: Kenny Houston.

There are some good ones to consider: Walton is up there. Sam Huff knocked more than a couple of guys out of games. Chris Hanburger's knickname was "The Head Hunter" for good reason. LaVar has certainly had his moments, as well as Marshall and even Ken Harvey.

But Houston tops them all. Houston notched some impressive statistics for a defensive back (he still owns the record for most TDs on int./fumble returns) during his Hall of Fame career. But the thing you remember about Houston is how he really punished recievers and ball carriers. Struck fear in them. I was just a kid when I saw him play, but you just don't forget those hits. His goal-line tackle of Walt Garrison to preserve a 14-7 win over the Cowboys in 1973 is one of the most famous tackles of all time.

No offense GURU, but I've been watching the Skins since the 60's and have seen Fischer, Houston, Walton, etc., etc., etc.

I've never seen a Redskin who hits as hard as Sean Taylor does on a consistent basis.

The dude propels himself into guys every chance he gets and when he connects, watch out.

I'll say it again. Best 1st round draft pick we've ever had. A true intimidator and game changer.

:point2sky

:applause:I'm with you, bro. I got to go with the most historic hits in Redskins history.

1) Danny White was a nice trophy for Dexter Manley in one of the biggest games in Redskin history.

2) Troy Aikman was an even nicer HOF trophy and legendary as it was the last play of his career (like LT & Theismann) but not as big of a game as Dexter Manley's.

Everything else is a blur of distant thirds to those but...

* Sean Taylor's ball-popping hit on Patrick Crayton's converted 4rth down (that is one I know will stand out as time goes by)

I feel lucky we got two of those hitters going into this playoff game.

I just can't get enough of this...

http://www.sportsattic.com/nflphoto/photos2/Manley,Dexter2.jpg

I can remember Randall Cunningham once being asked whe he worries about most on the Skins defense. He said Alvin Walton because Walton launches his body and tries to take your head off every time. I'd have to give it to Sean Taylor and Lavar Arrington. Arrington when healthy seemed to send people off the field after his hits.

P.S. How many people remember Skins DB Jeris White and how he used to pull his glove back in place and adjust it after he laid the wood?

:I got to go with the most historic hits in Redskins history.

This list should include Walton's hit against Denver in SBXXII. That was a turning point in the game as it helped prevent Denver from taking a larger early lead.

We all know what happened next.

(By the way ... has Tony Lilly made it to that corner yet?) :laugh:

Alvin Walton, Pat Fischer, and all the old timers listed were great hitters.

But, if you are going for "hardest hitter", you need to go with some of the current guys. People of Lavar and Sean Taylor's size, weight and speed were unheard of back in the day. Taylor is almost the size of a current LB with the speed to match most receivers. Compare him to the size and speed of 80's era safeties and it's almost scary.

Archived