Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hardest hitter in Redskins history?

Spaceman Spiff

There comes a point where a hard hit is just a hard hit. It's difficult to measure if one is harder than the other. We all know Sean "The Tarantula" Taylor brings the wood as does Lavar. I hear the old guys talk about Alvin Walton and Ken Houston. I've also heard that 175 pound Pat Fischer could really lay people out as well. Riggo allegedly said that Fischer was the hardest hitter he ever encountered. It's all about leverage and a strong lower body.

A couple of my friends (non Skins fans) have watched several games with me this year and all they say to me is "I've never seen a guy almost kill someone everytime he makes a tackle." They all wish they had a guy like Taylor on their respective teams.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt: Kenny Houston.

There are some good ones to consider: Walton is up there. Sam Huff knocked more than a couple of guys out of games. Chris Hanburger's knickname was "The Head Hunter" for good reason. LaVar has certainly had his moments, as well as Marshall and even Ken Harvey.

But Houston tops them all. Houston notched some impressive statistics for a defensive back (he still owns the record for most TDs on int./fumble returns) during his Hall of Fame career. But the thing you remember about Houston is how he really punished recievers and ball carriers. Struck fear in them. I was just a kid when I saw him play, but you just don't forget those hits. His goal-line tackle of Walt Garrison to preserve a 14-7 win over the Cowboys in 1973 is one of the most famous tackles of all time.

I like ST, Brad Edwards in the Super Bowl was good, Ken Houston, Pat Fischer were all good as well. Remember Mark Murphy too?

All I know is, I have a friend who is a Giants fan. And for as long as I can remember, all he talks about is Alvin Walton. There is an NFL Films spot where Alvin came over the middle and absolutely destroyed the WR (I think it was a 49er). After he hit him, Alvin, who never went to the ground, stood over the guy and adjusted his glove like a surgeon. All in one motion. It one of the greatest hits I've ever seen.

I think my next jersey will be #40.

brad edwards had one of the most amazing games i've ever seen for a safety in super bowl XXVI. hits on beebe, reed, beebe again...he was an animal. loved that guy.

I'm glad someone brought him up. I'd never seen that many crazy hits on WR's than that year by Brad Edwards.

Alvin is the man but ST is a freak. They both have/had the necessary mean streak to intimidate and hurt people. ST has the edge because he can unload on players at full speed - a faster speed than Alvin ever had.

I saw Alvin knock Rob Riddick's helmet off his head once and am waiting eagerly for ST to add that to his resume.

I like ST, Brad Edwards in the Super Bowl was good, Ken Houston, Pat Fischer were all good as well. Remember Mark Murphy too?

All I know is, I have a friend who is a Giants fan. And for as long as I can remember, all he talks about is Alvin Walton. There is an NFL Films spot where Alvin came over the middle and absolutely destroyed the WR (I think it was a 49er). After he hit him, Alvin, who never went to the ground, stood over the guy and adjusted his glove like a surgeon. All in one motion. It one of the greatest hits I've ever seen.

I think my next jersey will be #40.

FYI - that hit was by Jeris White (45) - cornerback.

Archived