Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT - LaVar's last stand? (Discusses Possible Retirement)

JimmiJo

What made the first tenure with Gibbs amazing is that you had that psuedo relatinship with the players, the Art Monks, Gary Clarks, John Riggins etc.

You can't compare that pre-salary cap era (where players could stay with one team basically forever) to NFL 2005. It's not the same.

Dont forget that Lavar is human too, he feels the team has screwed him and turned their back to him when he needed them, and its completely true.

Based on... ?

Maybe he needs to put the blame where it lies: his agents. Otherwise, there is no proof that he got anything other than what was negotiated between them and the team.

The best we'll likely get is Arrington saying the writing accompanying his quotes made it seem worse than it was.

If that is the case, as tough as it is for me and all of the others who bought the 56 jersey to say, it is not good enough this time Lavar. It's been real and good luck.

So, no more knee-jerk reactions, so let's just fabricate something from thin air while we're at it.

You'll notice my post about it was asking how it could be possible. I essentially tried to disprove this theory, but I thought that it was an interesting idea. Lets look at the facts:

1. The honeymoon between the Post and 'Skins is over

2. The honeymoon between the Times and 'Skins has begun

Why would the Times risk angering the 'Skins and/or Lavar? What do they gain out of it in the long run? Certainly one of the sports editors would realize the repercussions of such an article should it have used dated material. Would the Times risk their relationship with the 'Skins to sell a few extra copies?

I thought it was an interesting topic/idea, and didn't want to run out and start a new thread.

Why would the Times risk angering the 'Skins and/or Lavar? What do they gain out of it in the long run? Certainly one of the sports editors would realize the repercussions of such an article should it have used dated material. Would the Times risk their relationship with the 'Skins to sell a few extra copies?

They don't need to. Even this article was read online, not from an actual newspaper sitting on someone's front porch.

I just find it impossible to believe the organization would "bless" something like this going out (assuming they were in cahoots with the Times) based on the time of year, how critical this weekend is for the team, etcetera.

If they were indeed doing something like this intentionally, it would be taking place closer to the theoretical time that LaVar would be getting cut, not a few days before the most important game of the year.

They don't need to. Even this article was read online, not from an actual newspaper sitting on someone's front porch.

I just find it impossible to believe the organization would "bless" something like this going out (assuming they were in cahoots with the Times) based on the time of year, how critical this weekend is for the team, etcetera.

If they were indeed doing something like this intentionally, it would be taking place closer to the theoretical time that LaVar would be getting cut, not a few days before the most important game of the year.

Well, I just read Art's post, so the theory is shot to hell. Sounds like they didn't use dated material. Man, I love conspiracies, but I guess I'll just have to let this one go......Hey, did anyone hear the theory about Snyder airlifting Fed Ex to Six Flags? :laugh:

just an article. and usually words are taken out of context. He was expressing his thoughts. and is it crazy to walk away. not really. but if you read the other post about LA defending the skins. You all know he will be a skins next year.

It's not just an article.

The problem here is the team has media people to handle such interviews. The team can control a story and interview process. The player is totally protected if he wants to be. Here, LaVar went OUT of his way BEFORE the Giants game to set up a private sit down interview AT his house with a reporter.

Outside the protective bubble he has at his disposal.

Hell, I've asked for a fan chat with LaVar all year and we can't get one because he won't do one. But he'll have a journalist at his house and essentially say he gets paid so much the Redskins have to cut him because he won't restructure? To what purpose? Why now?

Why allow it to happen?

Why go OUT of your way to make yourself the story, AGAIN?

A lot of this article is just him being a realist and his tone seems matter-of-fact. I really don't see the need to get all up in arms. We all know he won't be here next year so what's the big deal? Give him his Super Bowl ring and say "thanks for the memories". :D

Hell, I've asked for a fan chat with LaVar all year and we can't get one because he won't do one.

I think everyone crowing about how much "LaVar loves the fans" needs to read that quote over and over.

He apparently loves the spotlight being on him quite a bit more.

I think Jimme Lo doesn't quite understand. La Var didn't put this nonsense out the Media did. They timed the release of this old article. LaVar's attitude and and approach has changed. You ought to read the article in the Washington Post from Jason LaConfra(spelling) concerning LaVar. Don't buy in to the media junk! If we don't keeping talking about the nonsense then it won't be a big deal.

Let's beat the Eagles, then hopefully the Bears in Chitown, and then, AND THEN YES IT COULD POSSIBLY BE THE COWBOYS AT FEDEX AGAIN!(if Carolina losses, Cowboys beat the Rams and the Bucs).

Alright everyone, look at the source of this article. Long has the Washington Times been the Redheaded stepchild to the Washington Post. Nothing against the author of this article, but I find it hard to believe that Lavar was this adamant about not being a Redskin next year and possibly not playing football at all. Every week, Lavar talks on Sportstalk 980 with "his boy" John Thompson about the weeks game, his status with the Redskins and everything else surrounding his year. Lavar tells "The Coach" EVERYTHING and I can't imagine he would not say something like this to him and to this writer for the Washington Times first. That being said, the Redskins and Lavar are faced with a difficult decision this offseason. There is no way they will take a 12 million cap hit next year, but will Lavar actually renegotiate after the last dispute? I know it says in the article NO, but I don't believe the article as far as I can throw it. Listen to 56 on the radio every week, this is NOT HIM talking. He would love nothing more to retire a Redskin, if not for the fans alone, and taking a couple million hit to stay here (which he would take anywhere else he went anyway) does not sound out of the question for him.

Just imagine the D next year....Lamar Marshall with another year under his belt, a stud in Washington roaming everywhere, "The Tarantula" Sean Taylor splitting heads from sideline to sideline and Carlos Rogers with a bit of experience....And then, a full strength Lavar out with something to prove....I know all of you saw the "offsides" call in the Giants game where Lavar busted through and practically made Eli wet his pants before jumping on him, there are about 3 linebackers in the league that have that ability....It would be a TRAVESTY to let him go.....

I think Jimme Lo doesn't quite understand. La Var didn't put this nonsense out the Media did. They timed the release of this old article. LaVar's attitude and and approach has changed. You ought to read the article in the Washington Post from Jason LaConfra(spelling) concerning LaVar. Don't buy in to the media junk! If we don't keeping talking about the nonsense then it won't be a big deal.

Let's beat the Eagles, then hopefully the Bears in Chitown, and then, AND THEN YES IT COULD POSSIBLY BE THE COWBOYS AT FEDEX AGAIN!(if Carolina losses, Cowboys beat the Rams and the Bucs).

Let me restate something I said earlier. LaVar set up a chat with Elfin last week so the probability is the quotes are not dated, but fresh. Though, it is possible LaVar was telling Elfin to p!ss off as he wouldn't do the interview and Elfin went old on him to burn him. But, at this point it appears LaVar set up the interview himself to get the word out he wanted out.

I think Jimme Lo doesn't quite understand. La Var didn't put this nonsense out the Media did. They timed the release of this old article.

It's not an old article. As Art said earlier in this thread (and on this very page, even), LaVar scheduled it with the Times last week. It was given just before the Giants game last Saturday.

Unbelieveable timming LA - right before a must win game...

I believe Lavar made these comments at the beginning of the year and they decided now to put the story out. I bet if they interview Lavar today, he would say that it was said at the beginning of the year.

I also just see a man who is starting to realize that he may not be able to play for his beloved city anymore. This guy truely wants to play for this city more than anything, and it kills him how the business works. I love Lavar, and would hate for this guy to call it quits even if we let him go.

But think about it, jow many players do you know who have this type of passion for one team. Unlike Champ, he does want to be here. And we all know Spurrier didnt think Davis was right for his system.

Lavar has said somethings that any young man would say. I think this guy has made many strides to fit this system and do something he was never taught to do.

Its appearant that there is a contradiction of thought. In the WP, Lavar appears to be the ultimate team player looking forward to the playoffs, yet in the WT he is the ultimate team cancer, who is selfish and is concentrating on a early retirement. I find it difficult that he would make statements so contrary to each other, around the same time, especially at the end of the season. Unless the guy is bi-polar, its either he is lying to one of these papers or he is being potrayed to be something he is not, whether negative or positive.

....I know all of you saw the "offsides" call in the Giants game where Lavar busted through and practically made Eli wet his pants before jumping on him, there are about 3 linebackers in the league that have that ability....It would be a TRAVESTY to let him go.....

Oh so true! He actully wasn't offsides on that call either. I watch it in realtime and in slow motion. He was just to damn fast for the referees! I have seen this defense in the last two weeks make some unbelievably fast, violent and FAIR plays that the referees i believe where just shocked by the violence or the speed of the execution.

Its appearant that there is a contradiction of thought. In the WP, Lavar appears to be the ultimate team player looking forward to the playoffs, yet in the WT he is the ultimate team cancer, who is selfish and is concentrating on a early retirement. I find it difficult that he would make statements so contrary to each other, around the same time, especially at the end of the season. Unless the guy is bi-polar, its either he is lying to one of these papers or he is being potrayed to be something he is not, whether negative or positive.

Can someone help me find that Washington Post article? I want to read it and see what it has to say.

Art we both know exactly what's going on and neither one of us would ever wear a Lavar jersey again. True That!

It's simply unbelievable that Lavar would do this. But facts are facts, he set the whole thing up, it was professionally orchestrated.

It has to be the most selfish act I've ever seen by a Redskin. It defines PUNK. What an act selfish malace.

It's not just an article.

The problem here is the team has media people to handle such interviews. The team can control a story and interview process. The player is totally protected if he wants to be. Here, LaVar went OUT of his way BEFORE the Giants game to set up a private sit down interview AT his house with a reporter.

Outside the protective bubble he has at his disposal.

Hell, I've asked for a fan chat with LaVar all year and we can't get one because he won't do one. But he'll have a journalist at his house and essentially say he gets paid so much the Redskins have to cut him because he won't restructure? To what purpose? Why now?

Why allow it to happen?

Why go OUT of your way to make yourself the story, AGAIN?

Well, let's be honest about Lavar. How many of us were scratching our heads earlier in the year when he just refused to shut up? We knew he was angering the coaches, and yet he continued to show up every week at the JT show and voice his opinion. If he hadn't acted like that earlier in the year, he'd probably have more people on this board backing him up.

I really hope this all turns out to be nothing. However, given his track record, I for one do not believe that this whole situation is out of the realm of possibility.

CONSPIRACY?

Come this isn't WMD's! Read the Washington Post, Listen to 980; Lavar in his own voice and then you make an assesment! Its the sexy story! And if they win the Big One the Media is going to make even more of it. They love the negative.

It wouldn't be the first time Lavar spoke out of both sides of his mouth.

Archived