Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT - LaVar's last stand? (Discusses Possible Retirement)

JimmiJo

The article wasn't written to derail anything, it was written to increase readership. And if the entire town is talking about a Washington Times article (whether they have good or bad things to say about it) it's worked.

Second, why has there been so little talk about the ownership, here? None of this is a problem without Mr. Snyder running the show.

The issue most have with Lavar is the amount of money he gets paid. That he accounts for such a large partion of the cap. When LA was drafted, he was considered to be the best player in the draft. No one would argue that he deserved the contract that he got at the time. Since then Snyder's ownership has put the Skins in dire financial straits every season and they're scrambling to restructure someone's contract or having to cut a key contributor.

Yeah, after being crapped on by countless "fans" on this site......he really should do a chat with said "fans". :rolleyes:

By the way, he has done a chat with the fans at "Warpath".

Think there's a message in that to the "fans" on this site?

Why not? I'm sure the mods here can omit questions asked by the Lavar "Haters" and move all the love dovey "Lavar you are the greatest player to ever play the game" comments right to the top. You know the questions like "Lavar how does being the greatest Redskin of all-time make you feel? I bet you don't even notice since you are so modest, that's what makes you so gosh darn great Lavar.

P.S.

Williams is wrong for ever doubting your greatness and I had your back through all this."

LAAAAAAVVVVVVAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!!

I don't see why Lavar would have a tough time answering that question. Maybe because Danny Snyder is involved with the official Redskins website, not us fans.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

Danny's been running the show for six years and the Skins have had to do some pretty messed up things to keep their heads above water. LaVar has been there for five of them.

How quickly everyone forgets how he nearly single-handedly turned a season around that began 0-5. The last time that had happened (ofer start to finish 8-8) was ohhhhhh Joe Gibbs' first year as Redskins head coach. So what does our boy Danny do? Fires Schottenheimer and hires Spurrier.

What a rousing 12-20 success that was. To top it off, it takes Schottenheimer two years to turn the no-count Chargers into contenders.

It's just more of the "what have you done for me lately crap." This will bite us in the ass, because he's only 27 years old.

Danny's been running the show for six years and the Skins have had to do some pretty messed up things to keep their heads above water. LaVar has been there for five of them.

How quickly everyone forgets how he nearly single-handedly turn a season around the began 0-5. The last time that had happened (ofer start to finish 8-8) was ohhhhhh Joe Gibbs' first year as Redskins head coach. So what does our boy Danny do? Fires Schottenheimer and hires Spurrier.

What a rousing 12-20 success that was. To top it off, it takes Schottenheimer two years to turn the no-count Chargers into contenders.

It's just more of the "what have you done for me lately crap." This will bite us in the ass, because he's only 27 years old.

He got Gibbs out of retirement. All sins are forgiven :silly:

Let's see... 10% of the entire salary cap for a part-time player who goes out of his way to rip the team just before their biggest game in years. A player who wasn't even on the field when the Skins obliterated the Cowboys 35-7 two weeks ago. Joe Gibbs tossed Coles and Bailey off the bus for lesser offenses, and they were actually starters. I can't see Joe agonizing much over this decision...

He sounds like he wants to retire after this year. He better get back into the shape he was in 2 years ago...or he might not be on this team.

This is ridiculous. He said he would retire IF THE TEAM CUT HIM. That is showing immense loyalty to the team.

I'm not sure why we aren't grasping this... this interview only shows that he is completely loyal to the Redskins and the fans. We are making way too big of a deal of the negatives of this interview and completely ignoring the positives.

Yeah, you hear that a lot - you're not the only one who feels that way and that's SAD!

If this organization can only succeed as long as Gibbs is a part of it...then what does that make our shelf-life?

The organization was rotting from within before Coach Gibbs got here. It has done a full 180 since then.

I think he has done enough to earn the benefit of the doubt. No one is saying we'll miss success without him, but now the building blocks for our future are being put into place. That was something Coach Gibbs didn't really do his last time around. Not that it was his responsibility, but you get the idea.

I was one of the people who wanted to keep Schottenheimer, but he does have the reputation of a guy who can take a team so far without getting it all done. The Chargers aren't in the playoff picture any longer. We are and we're developing a more solid foundation of guys through it all at the same time. If LaVar isn't part of that, then so be it.

I'm not sure why we aren't grasping this...

Because it was an interview that didn't need to happen. He scheduled it in his own house before the Giants game. The team is making a run for the playoffs and his ego won't allow him to share the spotlight. It's not about grasping your particular point. It's about questioning is motiviation and timing. He's not exactly a rocket scientist. These guys in the press go to him because they know he'll take whatever bait they throw at him and reel him right in.

The organization was rotting from within before Coach Gibbs got here. It has done a full 180 since then.

I think he has done enough to earn the benefit of the doubt. No one is saying we'll miss success without him, but now the building blocks for our future are being put into place. That was something Coach Gibbs didn't really do his last time around. Not that it was his responsibility, but you get the idea.

I was one of the people who wanted to keep Schottenheimer, but he does have the reputation of a guy who can take a team so far without getting it all done. The Chargers aren't in the playoff picture any longer. We are and we're developing a more solid foundation of guys through it all at the same time. If LaVar isn't part of that, then so be it.

Very good points.

The thing ppl are missing, though, is that LaVar was brought up in this mess. He's watched players get franchised one year then get released a couple years later. I really think that had the Skins been in better shape to deal with their talent with greater loyalty, none of this would be happening.

IMO, Snyder took a possible Franchise player (not in the legal sense), and turned him into this.

Additionally, to compare him to TO is wrong. I know there are some ppl here doing that and there really is no comparison.

This is ridiculous. He said he would retire IF THE TEAM CUT HIM. That is showing immense loyalty to the team.

I'm not sure why we aren't grasping this... this interview only shows that he is completely loyal to the Redskins and the fans. We are making way too big of a deal of the negatives of this interview and completely ignoring the positives.

In case you haven't noticed, Lavar says a lot of things. Most of which are assinine. If you believe for one second that Lavar would just ride off quietly into retirement if the Skins cut him, then you probably believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny too.

With no football there is no platform for Lavar's meltdowns. There's no attention. He won't have the microphone in front of his face that he so very craves. And there is no money or fame and few TV appearances and endorsements. He would cease to be what he's always strived to be: the center of attention.

If you think this player is loyal to anyone but himself then you just don't get it. It's all about actions; not words.

Because it was an interview that didn't need to happen. He scheduled it in his own house before the Giants game. The team is making a run for the playoffs and his ego won't allow him to share the spotlight. It's not about grasping your particular point. It's about questioning is motiviation and timing. He's not exactly a rocket scientist. These guys in the press go to him because they know he'll take whatever bait they throw at him and reel him right in.

I think we all need to stop speculating on the motivation for the interview because nobody knows. You can't fairly assume that LaVar did this interview because "he can't share the spotlight", which is the consensus... I don't think we have any idea... perhaps he wasn't expecting the article to be published when it was. I think we need to stop bad-mouthing (and "bad-mouthing is a huge understatement for many of you) until we have some semblance of an idea about what really happened. Right now we have nothing.

Also, mind you, that this was done before the Giants game and he had not played in two full weeks. I can assure you he is much less discouraged after playing a good game on Saturday.

You can fairly assume that he does want what's best for the team and wants to win as much as every other player in that locker room.

Yeah, you hear that a lot - you're not the only one who feels that way and that's SAD!

If this organization can only succeed as long as Gibbs is a part of it...then what does that make our shelf-life?

:cry: me a river, then. You act as though Lavar is a class act. He whines, whimpers, and sounds like a child. Did you read the entire article? I love what he does on the field, but can't stand him off of it (at least what he states in the media).

As for Snyder...He has done everything he could for this team. He has spent money on coaches (remember when Marty said he would never work for Snyder, and then the next year he was?), and ultimately got a Hall of Fame coach out of retirement. Are you kidding? You think after Gibbs leaves, he's just going to resort back to the behaviors you saw his first two or three years in the league? I'm quite certain he's learned quite a bit from Gibbs, and as long as he is willing to pay HEAD COACH money for assistant coaches, we'll pretty much be guaranteed great coaching staffs for years to come.

Did you ever see a little kid react to something that didn't go his way. Something like, 'I don't care, I don't want to do this anyway'. Very childish, very immature. Unfortunately for LaVar, he is 27.

Of course, I would love for him to play his ENTIRE career here, but how can you root for a guy with this kinda attitude. I've said it on many occasions, I would shovel **** for 2 times the length of these guys contracts if they paid me these amounts. Too bad these foolish men feel that they deserve more for playing sports, or better yet, find a better profession. LOL

First of all, who's crying?

We'll see how much he's learned. Believe me, I'm as hopeful as you on this because ownership is something you can't hope just changes due to poor performance. The entire organization is paying for the sins of the past. They'll probably pay for another one/two years, even while Gibbs is around...imagine what he could do if he really could start building the team throught the draft.

I also think that Snyder finally hired someone whom he felt actually knew more than he does. We'll see how it goes when Gibbs retires...but that really is a different thread entirely.

In case you haven't noticed, Lavar says a lot of things. Most of which are assinine. If you believe for one second that Lavar would just ride off quietly into retirement if the Skins cut him, then you probably believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny too.

With no football there is no platform for Lavar's meltdowns. There's no attention. He won't have the microphone in front of his face that he so very craves. And there is no money or fame and few TV appearances and endorsements. He would cease to be what he's always strived to be: the center of attention.

If you think this player is loyal to anyone but himself then you just don't get it. It's all about actions; not words.

First, I do not believe anybody, especially LaVar, would walk away from this much money and glory this early on in his life and at the level he can play at when healthy. If he did, he would be back with someone else by Week 3 next year. It's totally ludicrous, and you're right, assinine.

The problem I have with many of these posts is that we are assuming LaVar is only concerned about himself and the attention that he gets. I don't think that is true. He has not said anything that would hurt the team. When LaVar had his 980 spots earlier in the season, it was when we were losing (KC/Denver games) and he was out of the lineup... obviously he feels that inserting him back in the lineup would translate into more success on defense.

I see very little evidence that he wants to be the center of attention... he's used to media to achieve goals (this could be another instance?), but he hasn't done these spots to merely bring attention on to himself.

I totally disagree ... and I blame the writer because there has to be some kind of ethical responsibility when reporting....UNLESS, you write for tabloid or magazine ...

Furtherrmore, I would not be complaining about the timing and motives of this article if it was coming from the USA Today, or ESPN magazine ...but a local paper? He has to be more sensitive about the team and city he writes for.

I don't buy that "they are just trying to make money argumment." The fur coat industry is a busniess and they are just trying to make money, does it make it right for them to do what they do? should we not have a reason to complain about it because it is "business" I don't think so.

I blame the writer and not so much Lavar because in the end I would say Lavar cares about his fans and the Skins more than this guy who wrote this thing up ... so in other words until I'm told different I believe this was written some what out of context and I believe that Lavar, if he had a say, would not have want this to come out now ...

Whoah, let's not get carried away, here. Comparing negative articles to skinning dead things and selling/wearing their hide are very different. Besides, I guarantee that WT had a big spike in newspaper sales and website hits today so the writer got exactly what he wanted. You really can't blame him.

man lavar does love the redskins lavar we love you toooooooooo.

Right!! I told ya'll he love's it here!! I mean c'mon, he'd rather RETIRE than play for another team!! You can't get any more loyal than that.......

On behalf of all the TRUE Redskins fans, we love you too LaVar!!! You'll always be a Redskin to me!!

Well, when I left last night I said I wanted to see some more news but I haven't heard the 980 radio content or seen anything else as of noon today. I have read ALL the posts since last night and given there's been no real change information wise other than Art validating the current nature of the article’s content. So I'll add this to the bandwidth: :2cents:

Lavar is still is a lightning rod of discussion, pro and con, and to an extent that is worth noting just for itself. How does any player consistently achieve such a position over time? Contemplate the ways. :D

In fact, I have seen more posters who usually address thread topics with short terse missives, or generally unemotional responses, or regular wise-azz quips, change their regular tendencies in this thread. They have devoted serious energy to making more numerous responses, longer and more emotional ones, and overall more personally-invested ones regarding their feelings about this player vs. this team.

That alone is very interesting, IMO, and tells a story. I join others in wondering how all this stuff REALLY plays amongst the Redskins personnel, and of what similarities exist as to how it plays here. I know we can, and have, speculated on that too in this thread. No need to repeat such for my benefit, I read them, but I'd like to know how it is for real. Maybe we'll hear from other players in days to come, if this is as appears and indicated by Art, a current reflection of The State of Lavar by Lavar.

By any reasonably objective observations of people adequately informed, life-experienced, or even trained in relevant professions, Lavar at the very least has indicated a definite and consistent behavioral style of the emotionally developmental stage of a 13-17 year old male, or if you prefer, just “very immature” to be more broad. That description covers many of his pleasing behaviors as well as his unpleasant ones. I believe that's obvious to the coaches, and I see what I interpret as signs of exactly that in how they interact with him and work with these "Lavar" situations.

If accurate, this is a big factor to weigh in terms of effort vs. worth, which then brings up his physical contributions, actual and potential. Adding to this already complicated mix is the money factor and how it affects decisions in seeking the path of least trouble/maximum benefit.

This explains why we have such an ongoing, re-emerging state of consternation. There's no easy answer and whenever it seems solutions have been found they only evaporate over time and the problem returns. And some relationships just can’t be saved. There just isn’t enough willingness to change somewhere in the equation and that doesn’t need to mean one side is “right” and one side is “wrong”, it’s usually (not always) both sides and it just ain’t gonna work out. Just like often happens in the non-football world. :type:

At such a point with human beings, frustration or fatigue can become intense enough that you just say "f it", we're done. And usually in complicated relationships, that's what finally leads to change. You just have had enough. Some people never "have enough". They'll stay in it forever, waiting for that pay-off that they see in their minds but that never really manifests in their life. This Times article may be the event that tips the scales in favor of that point of frustration or fatigue. :wtf:

As for my Lavar feelings personally and performance wise, they haven't changed since I posted them earlier this year. When he's stable I love the guy but when's he being the self-centered "woe is me" guy (my take on it) I can't stand him, sorry to say.

For the team, I can either take Lavar or leave him without a problem and be fully behind either course. I have come to care about the guy and I ab-so-lutely love 50% of what he says, and even more of what he does on the field. But I don’t have him on the perpetual All-Pro pedestal as others might. As for the rest of how he handles his business, I'm past tired of it and find myself wanting real, long-term, change either way. :helmet:

Archived