Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Annoying habit of Portis....

desertfox59

Actually I do Portis gets to much air under the ball on those long passes.

That pass to Cooley look more like a punt, and he didnt plant both feet

either.

Wow Bud, you noticed that too. He didn't turn his hips right or hold the ball properly. I think JG should bench CP until he gets his fundementals correct. I mean we don't want to be bad fans by overlooking such basics to the game of football. How dare we as fans settle for anything less than perfection. How many times has Brunell underthrown Moss this year just to end up in the endzone. How dare he not throw a perfect spiral hitting Moss in stride and into coverage. I would much rather see an interception as long as the fundementals are followed. We're merely bigotory fans for settling for anything less than perfection.

Actually that would not be a reason for it. The goal line is infinite as long as there is a body part over the pylon. he could stretch the ball out of bounds as he dove sideways and as long as a foot went over the pylon its a touchdown. Vick did that in one of these recent games. Held the ball out of bounds as he dove, but threw a hand over the pylon for a touchdown.

On the other hand I do not see a problem with him holding it in the left arm. Yes I agree you would think it would be better to hold it away from the defense but there must be a reason. If none of his coaches have made him change it from highschool through college and into the NFL then perhaps there is a very good reason for it and we should just let it go...

Dude I've played the position for 20 years ok.. Don't tell me. Not trying to be rude, I'm just sick of you know it alls who wouldn't know a gut from a sweep. Trying to sound like you have a clue, when it's obvious to anyone who's played past pee wee league's that you don't..

Desertfox, just wanted to share a little nugget I heard during the Chiefs game today.

Larry Johnson doesn't like running left because he's not comfortable carrying the ball in his left hand. While at Penn State the coaches would only allow him to carry the ball in his right hand. Now in the pro's they encourage him to carry it in his left when running left but he just isn't comfortable doing so.

3yrs in the league he has fumbled 4 times in 450 attempts

1549yds this season in 8 starts

I think if a guy, like Portis, can put up numbers like this he can carry the ball in any damn hand he feels like. Just thought you'd want to know that CP isn't the only one. Oh and by the way so much for it be driven into players heads in College.

I'd just like to add Portis again carried the ball in the wrong hand in the right situation, at the end of his touch down run he stretched out with his right hand to get it in. Bt the looks of it he wouldn't have needed to do that but if he had, had it in his left hand closest to the side line and was pushed out of bounds well then no touchdown for us then.

Well let me explain it to you....

People, many people call Emmit Smith the best running back of all time...

Well, I don't know who these "people" are, but I would guess they are not very knowledgable about football. Now I WOULD say that he is somewhere about the number 5 to 10 RB's of all time, probably closer to the 10 side than the 5.

thank you ... weren't these same fans complaining about Walt Harris's arm tackling earlier before he honed up on his tackling fundamentals....Now he's kicking ass. good post.

:applause::applause::applause:

Ahhh, that is the difference. We were not complaining when he was tackling well. But still, "kicking ass" is a little overboard, he has a way to go before it's called "kicking ass".

I would like to thank all of you who complained about Walt's tackling though because he is improving!

• 1 month later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterPinstripe

Actually that would not be a reason for it. The goal line is infinite as long as there is a body part over the pylon. he could stretch the ball out of bounds as he dove sideways and as long as a foot went over the pylon its a touchdown. Vick did that in one of these recent games. Held the ball out of bounds as he dove, but threw a hand over the pylon for a touchdown.

On the other hand I do not see a problem with him holding it in the left arm. Yes I agree you would think it would be better to hold it away from the defense but there must be a reason. If none of his coaches have made him change it from highschool through college and into the NFL then perhaps there is a very good reason for it and we should just let it go...

Dude I've played the position for 20 years ok.. Don't tell me. Not trying to be rude, I'm just sick of you know it alls who wouldn't know a gut from a sweep. Trying to sound like you have a clue, when it's obvious to anyone who's played past pee wee league's that you don't..

Alright, I realize this is MORE then a little late but I have been out of the country for a few weeks... You know nothing about me. You know nothing about what I know about football, so do not tell me I know nothing and call me a know it all. I know for a fact that the goal line is infinite as long as there is a body part over the pylon, this making it so that the ball does NOT need to be inside the pylon. Instead of acting like a know it all yourself, why dont make sure you are right before bashing someone and making yourself look like an idiot. There are a couple instances where I can show proof that that is a correct statement on MY part. One such case is an atlanta game ealier this year. Vick dove towards the endzone, but was out of bounds as he was in the air before he got the the endzone. The ball was in his left hand which was out of bounds. He flashed his right hand over the pylon, and the ball was past the edge of the goal line. Ruling on challange was that it was a touchdown because his putting his hand over the pylon extended the goal line to infinite, thus making the ball go over the goal line.

Wow, this is a very angry thread. I think people need to calm down a bit.

And for the outbounds infinite goal line thing. I think onces a player is in clear possiesion of the ball (no bobbling, two feet inbounds, all that) once the ball breaks the plain of the out of bounds maker it is condsided out. I think if your case were right about the infinate goalline, then players wouldn't be trying to make such an effort to cross the plane inside of the sidelines, they could do it just as easiely by throwing their arm around the pylon. Now, I never saw this Atlanta play with Vick, so I am not sure, but with Reffing the way it was last year, I wouldn't be surprised if the refs got that call wrong.

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

Are you talking about his touchdown run in the Eagles game? If so, he kept the ball inside because of the angle he was coming from. If that ball was in his other hand he doesn't get it in the endzone.

here are a couple of statements to back mine up.

I can speak to the Vick TD.

The play was ruled a touchdown because:

a: the ball crossed the plane of the goal line before any part of the player touched OOB, AND,

b: ANY part of the player's body crossed the goal line inside of the pylon.

In the case of the Vick play, the ball was in both hands as he ran for the left corner. As he reached the corner, he dropped his right hand off the ball and reached over the pylon with that hand. In watching the replay later, Al Michaels and John Madden gave great kudos to Vick for his quick thinking.

Whether or not Vick thought that quickly or if it was more of an accident, we'll never know. I considered going down to the locker room to ask him about it after the game as I often get a chance to do, but that game, Vick got hurt before the end of the game and left early. In addition, it was the latest ending non-overtime Monday night game in who knows how long (game ended at 12:45am, and I had to go to work the next morning).

After every game, I have to call the league office in New York to see if there are any problems in the game file before closing out the game on the network. That night, when I FINALLY called the office, I asked, "Chris, is this the latest ending monday night game this year?"

He answered: "This year? We're looking it up to see if it's the latest ending Monday Night game EVER!"

And it wasn't even an very good game.

And another:

Old Coach,

I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say. The goal line is extended, but only for a ball in possesion of a runner inbounds (ie. The ball can be over the out of bounds area, but the runner has to be inbounds. Definition 2-25-3:

quote: . . . The goal line is the vertical plane which separates the field of play from the end zone. When related to a live ball in a runner's possession (touching inbounds) while the ball is over the out-of-bounds area, the goal line includes the extension beyond the sidelines. A team's own goal line is the one it is defending.

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

This all goes back to coaching. Obviously, Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan haven't spent enough time teaching these football players the fundamentals about football. Rather, these coaches in the game for egotistical reasons and to make money.

Tackle football is a complicated game and should be played by no human until every skill is perfected by the BIG BOOK OF FOOTBALL.

I wish this post was sarcasm... but unfortunately, I'm just echoing the original author's similar sentiments from another thread.

This all goes back to coaching. Obviously, Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan haven't spent enough time teaching these football players the fundamentals about football. Rather, these coaches in the game for egotistical reasons and to make money.

Tackle football is a complicated game and should be played by no human until every skill is perfected by the BIG BOOK OF FOOTBALL.

I wish this post was sarcasm... but unfortunately, I'm just echoing the original author's similar sentiments from another thread.

:doh: :doh:

If every football player was pefect what would we talk about.

Edit: Speaking of Portis he will be on NFL Total Acess tonight at 7, along with Macgahee and James. Steve Young will be on there too. It should be a good watch.

There are "fundamentals" of the game because there has to be some standardized skills to be taught. All the fundamentals of the game aren't gospel. They are just the ideal.

Any football coach will tell you.... "there's no right or wrong way to do things. THere's just my way."

Geez, a few people learn a few fundamentals of the sport... and all of a sudden they become experts. :rolleyes:

:doh: :doh:

If every football player was pefect what would we talk about.

What's the championship formula for football?

Is it a team coached my a disciplinarian? Or a player's coach? Is it an offensive-minded team or a defensive-minded team? Should you stop the run or focus on shutting down the pass? Should you run the ball or should you win by passing the ball? There are pocket passers that have games... and there are scramblers that have won games. Do you win with a bruising running attack? Or play-action pass?

Does every quarterback have the same windup? The same release point? No. Of course not. Favre was criticized for having a horrible throwing motion.... all the way to the Hall of Fame.

Some coaches teach runningbacks to hold the ball with their index finger on the point of the ball. Others teach it by putting the point between the index and third fingers.

There's no hard and fast rules to football... the bottom line is... whatever works.

Archived