Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Annoying habit of Portis....

desertfox59

What's the championship formula for football?

Is it a team coached my a disciplinarian? Or a player's coach? Is it an offensive-minded team or a defensive-minded team? Should you stop the run or focus on shutting down the pass? Should you run the ball or should you win by passing the ball? There are pocket passers that have games... and there are scramblers that have won games. Do you win with a bruising running attack? Or play-action pass?

Does every quarterback have the same windup? The same release point? No. Of course not. Favre was criticized for having a horrible throwing motion.... all the way to the Hall of Fame.

Some coaches teach runningbacks to hold the ball with their index finger on the point of the ball. Others teach it by putting the point between the index and third fingers.

There's no hard and fast rules to football... the bottom line is... whatever works.

Well put. There is not just one way to do things. Heck, when Pistol Pete Maravich (sp?) first started playing, he was criticized up one side and down the other. Not drawing a connection between the two. Just pointing out that what may seem ridiculous and not part of how the game should be played at the time does not mean that it doesn’t work just as well if not better.

*edit* Just in case for those of you who do not know, Pistol Pete played basketball. Made it the game it is today. *edit*

Ok... I think Desertfox gets my idiot of the week award. I know its popular for people to harp on basics(we all know coaches tell you to put the ball in the outside hand), but the fact is, talent and skill trump over technique at times. Some QBs also had abnormal throwing motions yet were awesome.

So criticizing portis after all he has done is one thing, its another when he has barely fumbled the ball in his career. Its yet another to call great running backs, including the NFL record holder, overrated. Seriously.

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

if it's a touchdown run i don't care what arm it's in....when it's a run ending in a fumble (twice this year) then we can talk arms

i think if he's more prone to fumble with his left arm, regardless of sideline he's running to, then he should carry in his right

he makes good money and is better than high school football players, so i say he can fool with mechanics a little bit

Look at the greatest run in Redskin history, Riggo has the ball in his left hand. Good point

Yeah stop talking. He led us into the playoffs. He rarely fumbles. He gets the job done. You don;t play so you have no right to criticize about half of our offense.

*This is NOT aimed at the person I'm quoting. It's to ther person who started this stupid thread.*

Lol. Riggo had it in the left arm. Shook!

You know, I have had a chance to do a little coaching in my time and I can say this:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

If I had a kid who had some wild way of doing a particular move in football that seemed to go against the norm, I would ask myself, is he failing at what he is doing?

If the answer is no, then I would shut-up. Let him do what he is doing and as long as he is successful, take credit for putting him in a position to succeed.

Catch a coach trying to change him? Tell him to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. If its rolling, leave it alone.

I have a ton more pithy little sayings to go along for this but the bottom line is:

Micro-managing sucks.

Guest GibbSkins11
Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

glossary time GibbSkins11 style.....

frange - not right , off , and just well frange

buddy that stuff u just wasted my eyesight with is well frange:doh:

Desert, you are seriously confused. Emmitt did move the ball to the correct hand when he could. As far as being overrated, when did you start watching football? Let me guess, since the skins became an over .500 club?

I for one dont hear a lot of people suggest that Emmitt was THE best that ever ran, rather he is one of the best all time, I would agree with that.

Sometimes changing hands with the ball is not a priority when a back is using his field vision to look for the hole.

My complaint is about the fact that Portis doesn't always look to see where no one is. So many times he ran in the back of people and pushed when all he had to do was look and bounce outside and he would've had a 1700 yard season.

Archived