Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Annoying habit of Portis....

desertfox59

oh dear God, if Portis fumbles, we will never hear the end of it from this guy.......

I would never gloat or be proud of something bad that might happen to our beloved redskins...in fact that is why I started this thread....I see a flaw and I want to do my part as a fan to correct it..I hope Portis never fumbles ever.

:laugh: :laugh:

I love it when I get a response that begins with "Look Blondie" :laugh: :laugh:

No, I didn't play a running back. I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express however! Does that count?

I treat him like a baby? Where did that come from? :laugh: :laugh:

I just happened to read some of this to someone kinda close to the situation. I don't think they were worried Portis carrying the ball.

I don't think I will either.

Thanks for the debate however!! I really enjoyed it! Maybe we can do it again sometime.

Blondie

About the "look Blondie" I didn't mean anything sexist by it...but now that you mention it it was kinda funny.

about the "baby" thing not just you but several other posters on this thread have remarked and commented with scarcasm and stats and several rude and moronic remarks trying to make a percieved counter point to a point which I never made i.e. that CP is not good...nothing could be further from the truth ...I state now and I have stated previoulsy that CP is awsome. I wouldn't trade him for any back in the league right now. but some people in this thread think that CP can't handle anything that might point out a flaw in his game, just like you would coddle a baby when it does something incorrectly. My point is that CP is a man, and men don't need to be coddled. Men can take critisism and consider its relivence and if need be adjust accordingly. (women can do this too ;))

I don't know who your source is....but I'm happy to hear it's not a concern.

I have also enjoyed the debate...at least with the sensible fans who make intellegent points and counter points.

:eaglesuck

Anyone ever see Portis hold the ball in his left hand in his career? Maybe being right handed when he would carry the ball in his left(running left of course) he found that he fumbled too much since it was his weaker arm(practice doesn't make perfect, it makes better but not always good). Thus, he went againest the grain and decided to carry the ball in his right hand at all times to avoid this and achieve the fundemental of not turning the ball over(on a regular basis).

That, and he wants to make sure he's able to throw a TD when needed.

Both of these are valid points...I simply don't know the answer. And actually for us to know that answer it would be info for the enemy ...so please don't tell us skins.

but I think it was a draw play.....so the throwing a TD thing is not valid. only relevient on pitch outs and wide tackle run play handoffs.

Did you see a lot of Jim Brown playing???? As long as he doesn't put it on the ground and puts it in the end zone I don't care if he dribbles it there!!!

No I didn't....just the little in films...I am relying on second had info just like everybody else is in regards to Jim Brown. for that matter I didn't see Walter Camp play either but I'm pretty sure he is one of the founders of the modern game.

I mean don't take this personal, but it's bothersome when fans have the nerve to criticize players who are litterally breaking records like Clinton Portis is doing, do you think he'd be where he is today if his 'flaw' was really a flaw? Of course not.

It shouldn't be bothersome.....Football teaches us that Perfection is never attainable, but it should always be the goal.

You know what, you're right. CP does everything right. Let's just fire the RB coach...

Gawd, you sound like my wife... :laugh:

Yes, there is always room for improvement, but it's the results that count, and so far, the results are looking pretty damn good...like the old saying goes, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

HTTR!!! :cheers: :eaglesuck

It's not arrogant, it's just the truth. Just like how a lot of NFL players do not tackle right. Probably 90% of NFL players in the secondary arm tackle. But that must be correct because they're pros right?

thank you ... weren't these same fans complaining about Walt Harris's arm tackling earlier before he honed up on his tackling fundamentals....Now he's kicking ass. good post.

:applause::applause::applause:

He did the right thing.

No one was going to touch him, if he switches hands he heightens his chance of dropping the ball, fumbling etc. If there is no one at risk of touching him then by all means he should keep it in the hand that he's most dominant with.

Some of us don't know how to play football?

Pretty sure Portis knows how to play football a tiny bit better than you do. Take your Portis bashing somewhere else, I'm pretty sure no one at this forum wants to hear it. You're bashing the man that has carried this team on it's uphill comeback.

Again, I never said he should switch in the middle of the run....when he orginally put the ball in one arm ...it should have been his left..

I'm not bashing him.....I'm helping him...maybe.

you're right, he is the team MVP IMO.

We (the ones bashing CP) are not taking anything away from what Portis has done this year. He has had a tremendous year, and is finally starting to look like the back he was in Denver. That being said, NODOBY IS PERFECT. It's ok to criticize CP in a contructive way. None of these claims are unfounded. All players still make mistakes. That's why they have coaches. That's why they watch film. That's why they PRACTICE. No one in the NFL is perfect, and no one is beyond scrutiny.

Ditto

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

you want to complain about anything else?

I would never gloat or be proud of something bad that might happen to our beloved redskins...in fact that is why I started this thread....I see a flaw and I want to do my part as a fan to correct it..I hope Portis never fumbles ever.

:laugh: :laugh: We as fans get to watch the game and enjoy or dislike what we see, we don't get to correct these players in any way. Do you think Ernest Byner is going to read your post and go tell Portis Hey Clinton!, I was on ES and this guy desertfox noticed something I have not, I think he's right hold the ball away from the defense. :doh:

Extremeskins gets us closer to the players then anywhere I've seen, but we'll never be close enough to coach the players jeez!! . :2cents:

Corry dillon = overrated

Emmit Smith = Massively overrated

WALTER PAYTON = The greatest running back of all time so I'll only reply to this example. Yes Payton used to carry the ball in his palm however, Payton only did that in the open field and he only did that with the correct arm and further more whenever anyone came near him he would either tuck it away or he was out of bounds so it didn't matter

Geesh man, you need to get a life. Go get married, then complain to her :doh:

You sound like a nit-picking female of the '70s - '80s :doh:

Present company excepted Ladies :notworthy

thank you ... weren't these same fans complaining about Walt Harris's arm tackling earlier before he honed up on his tackling fundamentals....Now he's kicking ass. good post.

:applause::applause::applause:

I suppose you pointed that out to Steve Jackson!!! And that's why he's doing better now. :silly:

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

want some cheese?

If i remember correctly, and not to jinx it ::knock on wood:: Portis has fumbled 3 times this year....3!!! Stephen Davis, who carried the ball on the outside hand, fumbled 3 times in multiple games....so if it aint broke, dont fix it, just relax

It's not arrogant, it's just the truth. Just like how a lot of NFL players do not tackle right. Probably 90% of NFL players in the secondary arm tackle. But that must be correct because they're pros right?

Er no it;s not.Just because you agree does not make it truth. simply an opinion that makes sense to you. And judging by the way you're willing to engage in such sweeping generalizations such as the 90 % reference means you're easily agreeable.

the only thing that is arrogan is that some people can't see the truth past the end of their loyality.

No. The only that is arrogant is that some people can't see past their loyalty to their own opinion and need to be right that they can't admit the truth they state is merely that. An opinion.

desertfox you've done nothing here but state the obvious. Clinton carried the ball in the inside hand, ( wow), on "that" play and then claimed it to be a habit. Yet you have not given anything close to a list of examples of times he has done this. I've the games on tape. See him do this on occassion sure, but more often than not, he's doing exactly what he supposed to do. You've stated nothing here that nobody here doesn't know when it comes to fundamentals no matter when or what they played. Nothing nobody here can't find in a book or on a google search.

I guess some of you just don't understand how to play football...

It is a basic fundamental. when a running back first is handed the football he recieves it with both arms. the interrior arm (the one on the side of the Quaterback) goes up to supply the QB a pocket in which to put the football, while the exterior arm (the one on the opposite side of the QB) is down. in the initial running back pocket the points of the ball (the most vunerable parts ) are protected by both the hands and the elbows on each side until in the open field when the back can (for speed purposes) shift the ball to one arm, the outside arm....the arm closest to the sidelines to protect the ball from the inside out tackling angles of the defense!

Case in point.

http://www.nflhs.com/TipsDrills/features/features_01032000d_db.asp

The back also must make certain that he forms a pocket, with his hands and arms, to receive the ball from the quarterback. Though it is the quarterback's responsibility to place the ball properly in the runner's stomach, once the ball is there it becomes the back's priority to make certain that he has the ball securely in his grasp and well protected until the play is blown dead.

At the point of the exchange, the running back should form a pocket to receive the ball by raising up his inside elbow so that it is almost even with his shoulders. A large percentage of the fumbles which occur on the exchange are caused by the running back not raising his inside elbow high enough and his elbow actually hitting the point of the ball. The forearm of this upraised arm should be horizontal to the ground, extending straight across the runner's chest and forming the top of the pocket. The hand of this arm should bend down so that the palm can grasp the point of the ball.

The bottom of the pocket is formed by the other arm and hand. The forearm of the outside arm should be extended straight across the ball carrier's stom-ach. The palm should be up and fingers extended toward the quarterback

:whew: Real tough there.

Nobody is saying it isn't a fundamental and in some cases, even mine, that he probably needed it to be in the other hand. Most here are saying there was probably a reason or reasons for it and that the coaches are probably aware of that. That's what they do.

Now here is where arrogance really comes into play. The coaches and staff have an untold number of years playing and coaching football. Part of that is....you bet, fundamentals. Could be that they work with C.P. on this or at least remind him of those times when he didn't. Yet here you are, based on little observation, saying that this could help C.P., one of the premier backs in the league and coached by some of the best in the league to dat, be a better back. Assuming that maybe, these guys could miss the little things. Here's a question for you. Have you ever watched film with someone who has coached H.S. ball then do the same with College? Do you understand just how picky these guys are? Just how easy they pick up the smallest details?

Now let's get to this Walter Payton thing. You're going to have to do better. I watched Peyton from the time his rookie year to the time he retired. NO, he did not just do that in the open field, ( btw, you did see that on that TD run by Portis that nobody was around him), he would do so when traffic was in the area. One of his trademark runs was to take the ball and head to to outside, ( switching the ball to his palm. Thing about that), palm the ball and then stutter step or slow down, then accelerate between defenders, all the while palming the ball. Sure, he tucked it when he was going to get hit, but so does C.P. Speaking of whom, quick. What's another trademark move Sweetness would make that C.P. does every now and then. And don't be selective in who you accept as an example simply because they don't fit into your argument. Riggens, Smith, Cambell, and the list goes on. All on occassion did what you saw C.P. do at times for whatever reason.

Now maybe the coaches did ***** at them for it, or maybe they didn't depending on circumstance, or as has been stated, it was in their comfort zone. None of this matters really, because when it comes down to it, this isn't going to make him a better back unless it becomes a problem with him. Hasn't yet. No reason to believe it will be. If you're going to impress around here, you're going to have to better than nitpicking, ( claiming it's for the better of the team), and regurgitating H.S. taught fundamentals. Simply put, if it appears as though it's a nonissue for the guys who do this for a living then more than likely it's non issue for many of this. Not blind faith or loyalty, it's common sense.

GO Skins!

When you have speed, you can carry the ball in any hand you want.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never sir, Never did I say to switch hands. I said to put it into the proper arm. in this case the left arm. he was running left of the center that means the defense would be comming right to left. When first decided to take one of his arms off the ball it should have been his right.

I guarantee you that at big schools, small schools, medium sized schools across the country that they tell you to put the ball away from the defense once you remove your other arm from the ball after the hand off. this is no myth

the only myth here is that you know what you are talking about. :silly:

Wow Fox, I am so impressed by your knowledge of the game I am sending you an invitation to replace Earnest Byner as the Redskins running backs coach or better yet why not be the head coach for Detroit. You are so awesome and use big words and all, I bet you have a lot of friends. Blow it out your a$$, the dude has more talent in his pinky toe than you have in your entire couch potato body. Find a topic that really matters then start a thread, until then quit trolling smarty farty.

Archived