Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let Betts Walk?

Tulane Skins Fan

After this season, Ladell Betts is a restricted free agent. That means, we can make an offer of one year to him and if someone else offers more we have the option to match the offer or receive compensation in the form of a draft pick in the round in which he was drafted.

Betts was drafted in the second round. With Rock and Nemo, do you think we should take the second round pick and use it on a DE or WR to go along with our other 2nd round pick, or do you think he is the primary back up and too valuable to let go?

I'm kinda torn on this. I think we need to address our DL and if we could get a second rounder for Betts, it seems like a great deal. But I think Betts is a solid player too....

Any thoughts?

Betts is often injured and I don't see a team giving up a second round pick for him. I do however feel that a team would give him a decent FA contract, because of his potential, but I don't see us getting anywhere near a second for Betts. If a team was to offer a second round pick for Betts I'd do it in a heart beat.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Betts is often injured and I don't see a team giving up a second round pick for him. I do however feel that a team would give him a decent FA contract, because of his potential, but I don't see us getting anywhere near a second for Betts. If a team was to offer a second round pick for Betts I'd do it in a heart beat.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

if a team wants to sign him, that's what it costs though. as a restricted free agent. otherwise, we get him for another year. and then he's an unrestricted free agent and we get nothing for him when he signs elsewhere

if a team wants to sign him, that's what it costs though. as a restricted free agent. otherwise, we get him for another year. and then he's an unrestricted free agent and we get nothing for him when he signs elsewhere

If the Redskins make Betts an offer then you can bank on Ladell being here, no team is giving up a second round pick for Betts.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Um, what's the tender we'd have to make?

AFAIK, if we make an offer of (whatever it is), he can just sign the contract and then he's ours for the year. (If nobody comes up with an offer, then we may wind up overpaying him.)

That said, though, tendering him an offer doesn't mean another team has to cough up a 2nd-rounder. That hypothetical team can simply make an offer to the Skins, which the Skins can chose to accept or decline. (Although, "how much the tender contract is" can also affect "what other teams are willing to give up".)

You folks may have noticed, I'm a Rock fan. I wouldn't mind attempting to get something in return for Betts. Depends on the offer.

Edit: I haven't voted in the poll, because I don't see anybody giving us a second for an oft-injured backup. He's not chopped liver, but I don't see him bringing a second, either.

I like Betts but i dont see him being here next year, we just have to many running backs, Gibbs seems to like Rock (and with good reason), Sellers is awesome on teams, and he didnt draft Nemo and Manuel White Jr. for no reason, rather than cutting one of these guys they will probably let Betts go...

I didnt know he was a RFA, I thought he was unrestricted. I would welcome him back, but I would not be dissapointed if another team wanted to give us a #2 forhim. As long as we keep Rock to backup Portis.

Betts is Clinton's backup. NOT Rock. Rock is a s-teamer who fills in for Betts.

Betts has run a kick back 80+ yards for a TD this year. Rock fumbled a sure

TD and was returned for 90+ yards. Let's get it straight. I wish Betts was on the field more, but it seems he has issues this year with injuries, alas......

Don't get me wrong. Rock is a very SPECIAL s-teamer. He covers well and is a solid tackler. But by no means is he Portis back-up.

i think his biggest asset is a third down receiver outta the backfield he has some great hands and the one game where he caught that TD and took a huge hit but kept rumbling for five more yards into the endzone really impressed me but if we could get a second rounder for him id do it in a heartbeat because i think rock is a better runner and nemo is just as powerful and can be better

:logo:

I'd like to see him stay. He is a good special teams player, and if CP goes down, he would be a good starter while cp was out.

I agree. He does seem to be injured a bit but if he can kick the inagging injuries, I think he's a decent back. Betts is also an underrated apss catcher out of the backfield. He did it a lot in college.

Archived