Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP : Michael Irvin Arrested (MERGED)

FightForOldDC21

Stu on ESPN just reported it was a pipe that in Irvin's statement belonged to a friend of his that was staying with him for the holidays. Irvin will be on Monday Night Countdown.

Funny how quick they gave Rush Limbaugh the boot for saying something controversial but Irvin has a crackpipe in his car and stays on? Someone explain the level of hypocrisy ESPN is now showing......:dallasuck

By the way, if Michael Irvin and Nate Newton are in a car together who is driving? (an oldie but goodie which I am sure a lot of you have heard)..........

DALLAS -- Former Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin said Sunday night that a drug pipe police found in his car belonged to a longtime friend whom he's trying to help recover from an addiction.

Irvin, an ESPN studio analyst and semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after police searched his vehicle during a traffic stop Friday.

Irvin told The Associated Press late Sunday the pipe belonged to a friend of 17 years who left a Houston rehab center and came to Irvin's house in Carrollton for Thanksgiving. Irvin wouldn't reveal his friend's name.

ESPN said it has spoken to Irvin, who will still appear on the network Monday as an analyst.

"We've talked to Michael, who explained the situation to us the way he did to the AP, and we will continue to talk with Michael," ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said. "But you can expect him to see him on 'Monday Night Countdown' on Monday evening."

Irvin said he put the pipe in his car because he didn't want it in his house where his children might find it. He said he planned to drive somewhere the next day, like a grocery trash bin, and throw the pipe away but forgot.

"It's a situation that is not as it seemed," said Irvin, whose voice was choked with emotion during the telephone conversation.

"I know the type of demons they have to fight and I am going to help them, because it's the only way I can keep them from getting to my family. I have to clean up my friends because they are around my boys. It's upsetting."

Irvin was arrested on an outstanding warrant for speeding in Irving after being pulled over Friday afternoon for speeding in Plano. Irvin said he thought he had paid the outstanding ticket.

Irvin paid a fine on the speeding ticket and posted bond on the drug paraphernalia possession charge. He was released about an hour after he was pulled over.

Irvin was a member of three Super Bowl championship teams with the Cowboys. Asked how this kind of publicity might affect his chances of induction into the Hall of Fame, Irvin said his helping his friends is more important.

"The whole thing means such a great deal for me, and hopefully one day it will be there," Irvin said. "But my friends and my family mean a little more. I would rather be helping them, even if it hurts that."

In 1996, Irvin pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years of deferred probation, a $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges. Irvin said Sunday he's always been transparent and open about his issues in the past, and now wants to help others through those same problems.

Irvin, a member of three Super Bowl championship teams with the Cowboys and known as "The Playmaker" during his 12-year career with Dallas, retired in July 2000. He has been paired at ESPN with veteran host Chris Berman, Tom Jackson and Steve Young on the main set of Sunday NFL Countdown since 2003.

Irvin holds Cowboys records for catches (750), receiving yards (11,904) and 100-yard games (47), including a team-record seven in a row in 1991.

In September of this year, Irvin and former Cowboys teammates Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith were together added to the Ring of Honor together, a recognition of the players most associated with the Cowboys' last Super Bowl titles.

Yeah I would say Irvin is an Idiot. Who in there right mind would put a pipe in there own car, when one could simply just wrap it up in a paper and just flush the damn thing or throw it away.

Or why would a friend just coming out of rehab have a pipe? Come on Mike, your making yourself look like an Idiot. Who was the friend? Quincy Carter:doh:

Pathetic!!

My hats off to the guy for helping out a friend...

but still, people in rehab have lapses, witness Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden. If i was carting around a friend who was recovering, i'd check my car and house to make sure the guy didn't accidentaly leave anything behind that my kids could stumble across.

also, what kind of addict forgets a pipe? :whoknows:

I really like the "no it's not mine" excuse.

It's so true so many times. :rolleyes:

Think about it.

This excuse of "he left it in my house and I had to get rid of it. Think of the children for God's sake" and then the next minute he forgets to throw it away and it stays in his car?????

The reason he forgot to throw it away is propbably because he smoked out of it.

I don't know I kinda believe him when he said he's holding it for a friend:

Earlier reports also said that a substance that appeared to be cocaine had been found in the apartment where Irvin was arrested. Irvin has insisted he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and the drugs were not his.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/ap/20000816/ap-irvinarrested.html

Cocaine arrest, assault allegation, career-ending injury

In March of 1996, Irvin was arrested on charges of cocaine possession at a hotel party celebrating his 30th birthday. He pled no contest to the charges and was sentenced to community service and probation. The NFL suspended Irvin for the first five games of the 1996 season.

In Irvin's 1996 absence, the Cowboys struggled out of the gate and never recovered. Upon his return from suspension, Irvin tallied 962 receiving yards in only 11 games.

Controversy would rear its head again as the Cowboys played the Carolina Panthers for their NFC Divisional Playoff game. Media reports stated that Irvin and teammate Erik Williams had sexually assaulted a woman and, with a gun to her head, videotaped the interaction. Despite Irvin's denials of the allegations, the story overshadowed the game, which the Cowboys lost. The accuser was later proven to have fabricated the entire incident, but Irvin sustained even further damage to his reputation.

A year following his retirement from the NFL, Irvin again was arrested (http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0618/1215598.html) on drug possession charges. In this case, Irvin was in a Dallas apartment with an unrelated female. Neither answered the door when police drug task force agents arrived with a search warrant. Police entered the apartment forceably, finding drugs. Irvin and the female were placed under arrest, though charges against Irvin were never brought.

Former Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin apologized to his family and friends Wednesday for being in a north Dallas apartment at the time of a police raid last year. Flanked by his wife and attorney, Irvin spoke at a news conference two days after a state judge dismissed a felony charge of possessing less than a gram of cocaine against him and 22-year-old Nelly Adham. The charge was dropped after Denton County prosecutors said in a motion filed Monday that they learned last week an officer searched the apartment without a warrant and the cocaine was not in plain sight. ``We have no doubt we would have won, but, quite honestly, God stepped in. He stepped in and got it done before we even went to trial,'' Irvin said. Irvin and Adham were arrested in August 2000. He was indicted in June, 10 months after the raid on the apartment, where law officers said they also found marijuana and ecstasy pills. No charges were ever filed involving those drugs. Irvin said he went to the apartment to visit a friend. He apologized to his wife, Sandy, for being unfaithful. ``Being there, period,'' broke their marriage covenant, he said.

Clean as a whistle....

OK - let us assume that his story rings true -- and he was holding it for a different cokeboy....er, friend. Given his obvious past (and the universally accepted assumption that once you're an addict, you're ALWAYS an addict) would this not constitute very reckless behavior on his part? He is a documented drug user. Do we think that, in his life-long battle to stay clean and sober - it is a responsible move to surround himself with cokeheads? And another thing, he said he had to help his friends clean up bc they are around his boys a lot. Look, if he was that worried about his kids, he WOULDNT LET drug addict friends of his anywhere near them. This guy is a ton of trouble and a huge black eye for ESPN. Much worse than Rush Limbaugh -- who was promptly canned after some less than PC comments (which also contained a lot of truth at the time) about Donovan McNabb. Bring back Sterling Sharpe!

Didn't some former Redskin get busted a year or two ago for cocain possesion. I belive he got pulled over in a car that belonged to an organization that helped troubled youth. Then he blamed it on the kids. In the end it came out that it was his. Pathetic, Redskins can never take responsibility for their own actions, its always someone else's fault.

I wouldn't throw stones in a glass house if I were you guys.

Notice you don't remember his name and neither do I. I'm sure he was a good player but in no way the franchise player. Irvin was and still represents the boys - go throw some stones at the ring of fame.

OK - let us assume that his story rings true -- and he was holding it for a different cokeboy....er, friend. Given his obvious past (and the universally accepted assumption that once you're an addict, you're ALWAYS an addict) would this not constitute very reckless behavior on his part? He is a documented drug user. Do we think that, in his life-long battle to stay clean and sober - it is a responsible move to surround himself with cokeheads? And another thing, he said he had to help his friends clean up bc they are around his boys a lot. Look, if he was that worried about his kids, he WOULDNT LET drug addict friends of his anywhere near them. This guy is a ton of trouble and a huge black eye for ESPN. Much worse than Rush Limbaugh -- who was promptly canned after some less than PC comments (which also contained a lot of truth at the time) about Donovan McNabb. Bring back Sterling Sharpe!

Actually, Limbaugh is a drug addict as well. He's battled addiction with painkiller meds.

Irvin is on the DP show talking about it and I believe him, it seems there is a big problem within his family. They are talking about taking a drug test just to clear it all.

Even with his past I do not think with the position he is in now would he put himself at risk.

This also should not hurt him from getting in the HOF, he what he did on the field is enough then you shouldn't use this as a reason not to put him in.

Notice you don't remember his name and neither do I. I'm sure he was a good player but in no way the franchise player. Irvin was and still represents the boys - go throw some stones at the ring of fame.

It was George Starke, and he acted like a total ass about the whole thing. First, he claimed the cop who arrested him was a Giants fan on TV, I remember watching him being all indignant about it. They found an OUNCE of coke in the sports car.

He had to take a piss test 6 months later to prove it wasn't his. Of course, he passed, and the charges were totally dropped. How having clean urine proves he didn't possess it is beyond me. One doesn't just "find" an ounce of cocaine in a car, no matter who donated the car and when they did it.

Let me ask you this. How many of you either do, sell, or know someone who does or sells cocaine? Have you ever known them to lose any? Every coke user I ever met, (including myself once upon a time) knows where every quarter gram is at all times. They'll lick the back of a public toilet that they snorted their last line off of. They do NOT lose their stash. And to think a dealer would mislay an ounce of coke is absurd.

For you and me, an ounce of coke in a car that you're driving is felony possession with intent to distribute at minimum for you and every passenger in the car. That can carry a hefty sentence, and we wouldn't be given the opportunity to pee in a cup to prove we didn't use it.

I loved Starke as a player as much as anyone, but i thought that whole episode was a total embarrassment to our "justice" system.

~Bang

Archived