Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comcast Sportsnite Just said

BlindSideBlitz

I actually think that Lavar has handled this situation rather well. If anything Greg Williams has poured more fuel on the fire than LA. If a coach has something to say about a player's personal abilities or attitude, it should be addressed behind closed doors. Lavar has not said anything disrespectful about GW or GJ to the media during this whole ordeal. The same can not be said of GW.

I am sorry, but I disagree...anytime you say the coaches have not talked to you or you say the coaches rushed you back, in the media, that is disrespectful. Not one time has GW or JG said anything about Lavar's personality in public, all of those quotes haev comre from articles from the writers, not JG or GW.

Would it be safe to assume the following:

1) Lavar did not participate in the offseason workouts that are crucial for a defense with more schemes than other team in the league.

2) Lavar was not 100% mentally confident in his knee at the beginning of the year.

3) At the beginning of the year, Lavar incorrectly told everyone that the coaches rushed him back and insinuated that's why he re-injured his knee (in reality he rushed himself back onto the wet practice field that day)

4) Lavar is a superior athlete, but has not worked within the system nearly as much as the coaches would like.

5) Lavar has said some negative things about the coaching staff that nearly all other NFL players would NOT do.

6) Lavar has had many conflicts with a number of coaches in the NFL and college (he is the constant).

7) Lavar is an unbelievable talent. Once he:

a) makes up for the 6 points above (that will take time)

B) proves to be trustworthy and work within the system

c) continues to talk about the team in the media, rather than himself

Then Lavar will get more and more playing time. These coaches are setting a precedent. This team is returning to the ways of old. I believe Lavar will get more disciplined (he knows who the bosses are now... there's no questioning that) and begin to blow opposing defenses up. I also think that Lavar will be here next year, and that he'll be a better player BECAUSE of what's transpired so far this year.

Sorry, obviously I meant to say "blow opposing offenses up."

There are repetitive direct quotes on this issue stating precisely why. If you ignored them the first time you're likely to pretend they are meaningless if I provide them to you. But, reality is that Washington told us Arrington is behind in the defense before Arrington made the statement that got the coaches talking about him. After Arrington did that, Bugel said he's not in because of mistakes. Williams said it's because he has to do it in practice. Blache said it's about his mistakes and developing the trust he needs. A teammate said it's about getting to a point he won't surrender the big negative play because he makes a mistake of placement. It's very clear why. But, none on your side seem to care.

Art,

Note the names I've bolded above, and add Gibbs to that list. I wonder why we haven't heard at all from Dale Lindsay, LaVar's position coach? Maybe it means nothing, but he's the only actor in this little drama who's reamined silent throughout.

Gibbs says he trusts his coaches, Williams says he trusts the coaches under him, Blache has directly "attacked" LaVar at least twice, including referring to him as a "media darling," and Lindsay has remained silent. Is there any possibility at all that there is friction between LA and Blache?

I know you have extra info you're not sharing, you admited as much in your blog from KC, what gives?

here's what LA needs to do:

1) clam up with the media - don't say anything!

2) get involved in a shooting incident

3) not return calls from the coaching staff

4) hang out with cats from the U

GW will then come out and state LA is the greatest athlete he has ever worked with and will work him into the fold pronto! what's to be confused about? it's very clear what appeals to the the staff and what set of standards are in play!!!

Good perspective on things! I remember a lot of people saying that we should be teaching Mr. Taylor a lesson when all that crap went down....

:gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck

Great posts Art regarding LaVar's attitude that just being "LaVar" is enough and about him being a poor DE. Many of us have talked about both these points for years now. Lewis recognized it, as do Gibbs and Williams, but Lewis only had a year before he hit the road. It's good to see that someone has finally decided to address this situation to make LaVar into the dominant player he can be if he'd just play his assignments.

I suspect opposing offenses have long had a love/hate relationship with LaVar. I'm sure they hated having to account for his ability to make a few big plays during the course of a game. However they also loved (and probably counted on) him being able to be influenced into giving up a few big plays per game also.

If Williams and Gibbs can finally take the latter out of LaVar's game....look out.;)

two sacks against the 49ers doesn't prove anything to me.

I want to see a player getting premium dollars play a dominating game against a playoff caliber opponent and make a difference towards getting this team to the postseason.

I totally agree

As I had posted before, Sean Springs says he will paly more in the near future. I don't know that that San Fran game is right one to come back on. The 49'ers suck and we may not need 56. And if we play him this week than NYG can game plan for him. He would be a nice suprise to bring out in a divisional game!

"No, what these defensive coaches have done is take LESS talented players and get MORE out of them"

and that will ultimately fail aganst teams with more talented players. we are seeing that when Springs isn't on the field. at a certain point, you reach a point of "diminshing talent returns".

Fansince62, wow! I think you've made short work of the whole LA saga, and now the entire installation here at FT Lee, Petersburg, VA is tuning in...the troops love it! Now all we need is for him to play! Either way he plays the pot would really be cooking then. But I would say there would be a huge difference...like 68million reasons why he's better than what's already out there....what was that? oh yeah the folding chair. ES keep it going this is great! And oh yeah those Lavar chants probably not the best idea that the 12th Man, 100,000 strong, just start blowing off and heckling the coaches wouldn't sound or look right nah don't want to do that; so I recant no LA chants pleeease: :dallasuck

If this is true, I'm glad to hear that Arrington is really starting to get it and work his way into the defense. However, I don't like the sound of players starting to demand things from a coach.

I still stand by my prediction that Arrington will be starting by week 10

Ran his mouth? People act as if LaVar has just been running his

mouth non-stop about this situation. The only thing he is guilty of

is responding to the questions he has been asked.

His answers are no one elses business but his and his coaches...

so who's up for making some "Free Lavar Arrington" t-shirts, ala the free Sean Taylor ones, unless of course they are already out there. This is great news however, if the other players band behind him, that is definitely something. It'd be just like the Notre Dame players going behind Rudy to play.

I'm having FREE LAVAR t-shirts made already...

I've reminded people before that Trotter returned to Philly last year and didn't play right away because they wanted him to re-prove himself coming off of an injury. That turned out well, don't you think?

Yeah, too bad that's not what is going on here.

wait, I thought wasn't getting reps?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, what happened to GW and Gibbs aren't even giving him a chance to prove himself??? But, we have to remember that there are so many people on this board who know better than Gibbs and GW and they won't be afraid to say "I told you so!!"

I guess this is a new opportunity to discuss Lavar....the man....the myth....the legend in his own mind.

Underachieving v. Overachieving. I believe this is the point well lost most. The staff is trying to turn L.A. into an overachieving linebacker, instead of the underachieving player he has been. Tough love. Hopefully it appears that it is working. Positive reinforcement for positive behavior. The staff is showing they're good parents, huh? Like making your bed, cleaning up after yourself and most importantly doing your homework. Knowing your assignments, follow directions. No I in TEAM.

There was an audible groan, I think from Springs, when they came back from that clip. Jansen looked as if he wanted to say something, but knew better. Springs too. I can tell that they wanted to say something, but wouldn't. Same with Marcus Washington.

I'm betting that there is a large contingent of players who want Lavar back in there. I'm sure that they are getting tired of the questions as well.

And just maybe these players have been putting some pressure on Lavar to do the right things to get on the field. Maybe their frustration isn't with the coaching staff, but with Lavar for not maning up and doing what needed to be done.

Geez, if I read "LaVar is finally getting it" one more time in a post...lol...What an empty, generic phrase.

When some said it after his interview this week, it fit more appropriately, for LaVar "getting it" seemed to refer to his keeping his thoughts about his playing time to himself. But now it's getting attached to anything even remotely positive concerning LaVar...if someone says LaVar's socks looked cleaner yesterday than normal, there will be about 45 posters who will automatically respond with "looks like LaVar is finally getting it, then"...

I also think it's....coincidental, to say the least, that LaVar is "finally getting it" right after the Skins allowed 49 points in back-to-back losses. The chants of "The Skins are 3-0! Trust the coaches!" lost a little luster now that the Skins are 3-2...and the "Williams' scheme requires rock-solid discipline to work and LaVar would be a hindrance" line doesn't seem quite as undeniable a retort with the defense allowing several long scoring plays the past two weeks in defeats...and happening at times when the defense and its rock-solid-disciplined players should have been shutting down the opposition. Instead, two 50+ yard TD scores were allowed late in the last two games when the score was either tied or within 4 points.

But I'm sure all of this is simply LaVar finally "getting it"...

Archived