Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comcast Sportsnite Just said

BlindSideBlitz

here's what LA needs to do:

1) clam up with the media - don't say anything!

2) get involved in a shooting incident

3) not return calls from the coaching staff

4) hang out with cats from the U

GW will then come out and state LA is the greatest athlete he has ever worked with and will work him into the fold pronto! what's to be confused about? it's very clear what appeals to the the staff and what set of standards are in play!!!

:silly: :laugh:

Which is what people like me have been saying all along!! I don't deny that there's fault on BOTH sides, but to say that "Lavar is a freelancer" and "doesn't play his assignments" thus he'll sit his fat-you-know-what on the bench until he learns, and yet Sean Taylor makes a lot of mistakes and misses at least one big play per game is just completely contradictory! Plus the off-season altercation that Taylor had. Plus not returning any of Gibbs calls. Plus not showing up for OTA's. THAT'S the problem I have with all of this!

Listen .. I love Sean Taylor, so this isn't meant to be a knock on him, nor a request to bench him. I just think that "certain" coaches aren't being completely honest!

Samuels,

Frankly, Clemons is more of a pass rushing threat than Lavar from the defensive end position. He has more edge control and even a couple of moves. Lavar has no moves or feel and just likes to blast into the chest of a guy 100 pounds heavier. I've always hated Lavar at defensive end. Most fans of the team watching him struggle there and complain about being there, talking about having to battle those big linemen, agree. Again, HE agrees, that's not the spot for him.

He belongs in the back with room to roam where he's a dramatic, dominating force. If I NEVER saw Lavar on the defensive line again it would be too soon :). He doesn't belong there. He's not any good there. He might get five or six chase down sacks for a negative yard or so here and there, but, he will never be as dominating there as he can be when he's allowed to explode into the line from a distance.

But, he can't do that until you believe he won't do that when his assignment is to do something else.

totally agree

here's what LA needs to do:

1) clam up with the media - don't say anything!

2) get involved in a shooting incident

3) not return calls from the coaching staff

4) hang out with cats from the U

GW will then come out and state LA is the greatest athlete he has ever worked with and will work him into the fold pronto! what's to be confused about? it's very clear what appeals to the the staff and what set of standards are in play!!!

Wow, two in a row, Al.

You're starting to GET it yourself it appears. The actions of Taylor WELL explain that these coaches aren't going to put a guy on the bench as an act of retribution for personal behavior they may question. They play guys who deserve to play and Taylor earned that by showing knowledge and stamina right away, and, heck, even by apologizing for his behavior in not returing Gibbs' calls.

Thus you have just proven there is no way Arrington's not playing because of a contract issue or because he spoke out. He's not playing because the staff doesn't feel he CAN play well enough to play at this point. Great kill shot for the Lavar lovers. I will use this often.

I've heard many times that when working on game plans that they try to create mismatches. Well it seems to me that using the talent that LaVar has to blitz the QB by attacking the weakest offensive lineman would be in the game plan on second or third and long situations. But I haven't seen that happen.

Greg Wiliams talks a lot about schemes and has stated that LaVar is in some schemes; but they have not called those particular ones that LaVar is in. Greg also has stated that every player on the defense roster is a starter (on some scheme). So, if you believe what Greg has stated then the reason LaVar has not played is simply that the coaches have not called the scheme that LaVar is a starter on in the games.

To me is seems that the defensive schemes being called so far this season has not been the all out attacking defensive schemes that we saw last season. Perhaps the reason is that our starting Defensive Back's have been out and so those schemes wher all out blitzing of the QB has not been called.

If we were talking about some average player then I could understand why a player may not play simply because of what schemes are being utilized in a game. However, we are talking about a player who is above average at getting into the opponents backfield so quickly that it can disrupt their play before it even gets started. We have faced some fairly mobile QBs and have not put any pressure on them. Without resorting to blitzing the defensive backs we don't have any DL or LB that can be as effective at getting to the QB as LaVar Arrington (my opinion).

Now it has been stated that the reason LaVar is not playing is that he is not disciplined and so gets out of position. Well, on some schemes that may be true; but in a scheme that is to get after the QB it seems to me that LaVar should be the starter.

When the defense makes a play such as sacking the QB it provides a boost in intensity of the entire defense. Last season we saw that a lot; this season such plays have been rare. Certainly it is not because LaVar isn't on the field; as he was not on the field last season. In my opinion it is the play calling. Our defense is good again this year; but they are not playing with the fire that we saw last year; and I think that is the result of the play calling. I think the defensive coaches are afraid of giving up the big play and are being more conservative. Is this tactic working or not? I suggest that it is not working very well; because playing a more conservative game is taking away the fire and intensity out of the defense. That's my opinion on whether or not LaVar should be playing.

How many times does this exact same argument have to show up on this board before people eventually realize this thing has been dissected, put back together, and looked at from every possible angle 500 different times? Is it really necessary to rehash all the same arguments every single day?

I guess a lot of you think it is. I guess I'll just bow out of these threads from here on out. They make me tired.

Have a great day, everybody.

Why did you even post in this thread you contributed nothing, and in essence calling people stupid for not realizing this has been discussed before?

I found it interesting what Art, Samuels, Cali007, and others had to say! What I didn’t find interesting was your comments!

I really wish that people who don’t like the threads just back away from the keyboard and keep their opinions to themselves. What’s the point other than padding your stat count or pissing off people that actually might find this worth reading?

He merely stated on a show that he has a weekly contractual obligation that he didn't know why he wasn't playing, and that he wanted nothing more than to play. He always talked highly of "my man Warrick" and "don't go talking bad about Warrick." If that makes him a jerk, then I guess any NFL player put in the same situation would also be a jerk!

Jon Jansen got hurt and didn't lose HIS starting position!

Lavar was in no means a jerk like you said... yeah and any other of his calliber would have made a big deal out of this... did we forget Warner? Even our boy ramsey when was asking for trade while he was no close to Lavar...

I just can't wait for the day when LaVar gets onto the field again (if that day comes) and when he gets then inevitable picks, sacks, etc... Joe just looking at GW and shaking his head in disgust.

Hoping this hasn't been said before, i guess that's likely.

Wow, two in a row, Al.

You're starting to GET it yourself it appears. The actions of Taylor WELL explain that these coaches aren't going to put a guy on the bench as an act of retribution for personal behavior they may question. They play guys who deserve to play and Taylor earned that by showing knowledge and stamina right away, and, heck, even by apologizing for his behavior in not returing Gibbs' calls.

Thus you have just proven there is no way Arrington's not playing because of a contract issue or because he spoke out. He's not playing because the staff doesn't feel he CAN play well enough to play at this point. Great kill shot for the Lavar lovers. I will use this often.

That's going to leave a mark. :)

I caught that and I thought it to be quite interesting. I've said it before here that I don't buy all the discipline rhetoric. He sure was disciplined enough to start last year before he got hurt. It's amazing reading some of the replies on here. With all the "he doesn't do what he's supposed to" talk, one would think he actually played all of last year and cost the team games.

Wow, two in a row, Al.

You know Art, that's a pretty stinging indictment of Coach Williams and the entire defensive staff. Unlike previous staffs, who may have had problems with LaVar's play but was still able to use him, you seem to be saying that this staff is so rigid that it just does not seem to be able to figure out a way to use LaVar's considerable skills. :D

Congratulations on joining us "LaVar Lovers" ;)

ES Members, it appears that something is being lost in all this drama. In looking at all the posts there is no middle ground. People are either on Lavar's side or the coaches side and I think there are some that place fault on both sides. Regardless Lavar being out of position at times all people make mistakes. But IMHO anyone that has a resource such as # 56 is not right! I mean if I have a Porsche GT2 sitting in the garage, am I not doing to drive it because gas is almost 4 dollars a gallon? I mean PLEASE enough is enough! Both sides did wrong. Gibbs is a hall of fame coach and brought glory to DC once upon a time. But Greg Williams hasn't won anything! PERIOD! Anyone that doesn't live on fantasy island can see that Williams, Blanche are just as guilty as Arrington if not more. Lavar freelances, he has done that all his career! take the good with the bad and be COACH enough to limit the freelancing, I mean how hard is that? If it's 3rd and long rush Lavar! There is no logical reason to keep Holdman in there all game when everyone needs a breather. Clemmons being a RDE? on passing downs? that is and was one of the stupidist things for such a GREAT IMPERIAL DEFENSIVE COACH to do. I mean he might as well of called Ramsey in to do it. Regardless of what issues are going behind closed doors and how ever you want to call it. Greg Williams failed to put the BEST 11 defensive players on the field. That is the fact that can't be denied and until everyone gets that and understands that then this division here will continue. Anyone that watches or has watched the highlight reel knows there is a 80% better chance of a play by the defense while Lavar is in there versus Holdman or Clemmons. Yeah all 3 are professional athletes but that is where it ends. Lavar is a beast and his play has shown if nothing else that he deserves to at least get spot playing time.

Wow, two in a row, Al.

Your Good Art!

I agree, it does make sense.

I saw LA last Friday and told him he was still the fan favorite and we couldn't wait to see him. He smiled like I told him he was gonna start and said it's fun to be winning and it will work out. He was there with some players including Moss and some coaches/trainers including the DB coach D Walker I beleive. He was great with the fans and genuinely seemed happy about the team. We thanked Moss for the cowboy game and he said "no problem". I can't say where this place is because I don't want to see it get crowded and scare these guys off.

But it's real close to the practice facility. I was the first jackass to approach these guys and kinda started a trend, I'm such a tool.

First off, I'm new here and I'm not really someone who would post onto a message board at all but in this case I looked for a board that pertained to the Redskins so that I might vent on occassion. This is one of those very rare occassions and I plan to lay the verbal smackage down as I see it and feel it.

Will I always know what I'm talking about? NO!! Will I be speaking from my heart and not from a list of stats which I could care less about, well yes hopefully. Winning is what counts and frankly this team hasn't been doing a whole lot of that in recent years and I'm speaking about playoffs and championships and not just games.

My frustration is born out of years of the team and it's losing ways.

When I say years, I've been a fan since around the time of Billy Kilmer and that first Super Bowl appearance. Remember those years and yes I do remember the winning years too. But after having to put up with Norv and Marty and the "Ole Ball Coach" I was just about ready to pack it in. Then along comes Lord King Gibbs and I'm thinking okay this could be different and what do I get, a 6-10 record with a quarterback with a non-existent arm, another quarterback who for the most part is shell-shocked and probably should be playing ball in the Arena League, and lots and lots of Gibbs speak as to why we need to do better.

Fastforward to 2005 and our shell-shocked QB is the starter but gets the hook after getting his neck rung. Yea maybe it needed to happen but was it handled well by Lord Gibbs after all his talk about how this is "our guy"

I dunno, the jury is still out on that one.

But hey the offense is actually doing something and Santana Moss actually looks like the real deal. If Brunell can just hang on to the ball and "score more points", hey this could be something but just when you think it's safe to put on your replica jersey again, BOOM!! here we go again finding ways to lose games. Now we have a defensive coordinator who thinks he's bigger than the game and now he's in a war of wills with #56. I ask who's gonna loose this battle ?

Look the fact is that we need Lavar on the field, if not for anything but to create havoc. Let him freelance, it's not being undisciplined, it's creating opportunities for the defense something that is lacking right now.

HELLO... it's called turnovers and we ain't got none. So maybe Mister "Bigger than the Game" can scheme up a environment in which #56 can go out and make himself useful while continuing to pump up his own ego.

Please for the sake of the fans or better yet for the sake of my mental stability lets do something. And one last thing please no more of this namby-pamby coach speak that we here after every game whether we win or lose.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

That is the end of this little tirade for now. Do I expect to get torn up by other Skins faithfull? yes I do but I challenge any of you to deny any of the feelings I've expressed because they are my feeling and mine alone.

If you smell what I'm cookin!!!

Who knows if this is true? The only way we know how he is performing is if they have it on tape during the practices, which are closed to my knowledge...or he plays in the game and performs like it has been reported. Just because Comcast said that some anonymous source says that its true doesn't make it so.

"Wow, two in a row, Al.

Thus you have just proven there is no way Arrington's not playing because of a contract issue or because he spoke out. He's not playing because the staff doesn't feel he CAN play well enough to play at this point. Great kill shot for the Lavar lovers. I will use this often."

well....one has to appreciate your sense of humor! Will sit back and enjoy the show as to what "core Redskin" really means. In fact, let's find out what core fan means!!!!

And LA....since the standard seems to shift all the time....be on your guard brother! The fans themselves seem to have a new twist every year! Can't recall any bench LA mantras in prior years. and as for Sean, brother LA, it's ok to get involved in a shooting incident - heck...expose yourself in public for all we care - as long as its personal behavior........it's only your stamina they care about. and your knowledge of the system - even if you cost the team big time now and then by not executing correctly. and the off-season team-building? not to worry. just show up after the heat has waned and you're good to go! your mistake is not to have been a more recent first round draft pick.

It shouldn't be over your head in the slightest. Williams has never betrayed Arrington's trust. AFTER Arrington LIED that he wasn't being told why he wasn't playing, Williams did say he has to do it in practice, then later, that he's spoken to every day, but, that hardly had any negative.

No one who understands why Lavar isn't playing is dealing with one iota of hearsay. Hearsay is something you hear one party said but hear it through another. Direct quotes are not hearsay. Hearsay is to suggest that despite all that, it's really something else.

Art,

How do you know that Arrington lied? Maybe he was given hints and not flat out told. It doesn't make sense to lie about something like that especially to the media. I mean maybe he did but then again Greg Williams has also lied and my father taught me there is no honor among thieves. Hasn't Williams lied about the packages? I mean one would suggest that Lavar packages are 3rd and long type situations where a rush is needed. We all can see that there is a GLARING NEED in that area. Coaches continued to sit thier best and ONLY logical option on the pine. So how can you saw with such conviction that Lavar LIED?

Thanks!! :notworthy :2cents:

So Brunell will say to Santana Moss, "THIS IS FOR LAVAR", and the two will hook up to score a TD with less than ten seconds left on the clock to put the Redskins up by 14 points so there is no possible way for the 49ers to come back. Then they'll put Lavar Arrington in for one last play, and he will will make what might be a meaningless sack, but what will be a heartwarming statement about perseverance, desire, and the will of the human heart!!!!!

Rudy was the worst sports movie ever. Sorry, just had to add that.

Art,

How do you know that Arrington lied? Maybe he was given hints and not flat out told. It doesn't make sense to lie about something like that especially to the media. I mean maybe he did but then again Greg Williams has also lied and my father taught me there is no honor among thieves. Hasn't Williams lied about the packages? I mean one would suggest that Lavar packages are 3rd and long type situations where a rush is needed. We all can see that there is a GLARING NEED in that area. Coaches continued to sit thier best and ONLY logical option on the pine. So how can you saw with such conviction that Lavar LIED?

Thanks!! :notworthy :2cents:

Lavar has lied to the media before -- as an example, about how he was upset with being rushed back by the team despite having told everyone he was forcing his way back last year -- so it's not hard to imagine him fibbing again. But, we know he lied because he admitted it when after hearing the coaches come out and say they have told him exactly what was required, he said, he was told exactly and often and a LOT of reasons, but all of them were irrelevant to him as he thought it was really something else.

As for Williams, no, he hasn't lied in the slightest. Lavar IS in on packages. Obviously they are the packages we haven't had opportunity to call yet. Prevent packages where we are focused only on the pass and devoting everything to coverage. Those are the only package sets we haven't run yet this year because the situation of games hasn't allowed it. Obviously Lavar isn't simply in on third and long packages. He's in on prevent packages, the only packages we haven't run through.

And, again, no one who's a fan of this team actually BELIEVES Lavar is a legitimate pass rush option. He's not. He's not very good at all from the end spot in the pass rush. He's good at cleaning up plays that break down and he'll manage seven 1-yard sacks playing full time, but he's not altering the flow of the game any more often than we already have now from that spot. He CAN jar a ball loose more than we've seen of late. Though we have caused 9 fumbles (11 if you include the Cowboy game where we had two taken away). Our problem has been we've only recovered one of them.

Archived