Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Objective Extremeskins Power Ranking

footballhenry

I will join the 11-15 group. I am not yet convinced that we are a top 10 team.

We beat Denver and perhaps we deserve consideration.

I fully understand the reluctance of the media to fawn over the Redskins at this point. It's great that we're winning, but it's not yet enough to impress the masses.

Hopefully that part comes soon.

I agree with you Henry, 12th is right about where we are right now. IF we beat Denver i'd say that puts us at about 7 behind teams like Indy, Philly, Pit, Cincy, Tampa, and someone who moves up from a big win next week. We could certainly be further ahead if our wins were by more than oh say 10 pionts. But hey wins are wins... by next sunday afternoon we should be ranked 7th!! :D

I also agree with 11-13. I know our offense hasn't been scaring anyone but it is progressing week by week and it will be kicking on all cylinders soon. Moving the ball has not been a problem the Red Zone has and we started addressing that issue against Seattle.

Our third down conversion against Seattle was just sick.

Dude the last OT drive was just a drive of third downs... that was one of the most insane Redskin drives I've seen in a while.

Put me down in the Top 15 group as well, with a big pending on how the Skins do against the Broncos and Chiefs. It doesn't have to be convincing, but obviously if they beat one of those two teams I'd most likely say they'd be Top 10 as long as they don't get stomped in a loss. If they win both, it's obvious they are going to be Top 10 or Top 5.

I got us in the Top 15.

Until we get some consistency with Offense & ST's, I can't justify moving them higher.

We still have a very suspect offense (I'm being firm, but fair) and a lights out D.

Rookie punter & kicker, no true returner...ST's just doesn't swing the balance yet.

But I'm keeping the fatih and waiting patiently.....like I do every year.

HTTR.

The Redskins are number 6 in my power rankings. Last week we were 4th. Seatle was second. Seatle is 4th after Sunday's game.

Denver is ranked 10th overall. Theoretically we should beat them, but the data isn't a straight line. We are very evenly matched. Controlling the ball is the key.

Their offense is ranked 23rd in the NFL with 4.95 yards per play. Ours is 24th with 4.88 per play.

Their Defense is ranked 13th, giving up 4.95 yards per play. We're ranked 12th giving up 4.95 y/p.

Since we are netting a plus .39 yards every time the ball is snapped in a non kicking play, we should be good at controlling the ball. Denver gains .029 yards each snap. We are a tenth of yard better per snap.

Last week Kevin pointed out that momentum is a factor. The Skins rank 1st in 3rd/4th down success rate. Denver is 28th.

We hold the ball for 32:50 per game. Denver keeps it for 32:15 per game.

First downs also indicate momentum. Denver nets plus 5.2 first downs every game, 3rd in the NFL. We net 4.0 first downs, 6th overall.

Denver must be getting a lot of big plays on 1st and 2nd down. Our defense needs to force Denver into 3rd and long. Our offense nees to string together enough scoring drives to win. The margin is too close for turnovers.

Denver is plus 5 in turnovers. Washington is minus 4.

I think 11-15 is where we are at. The Redskins are a 3-0 team that could very easily be 0-3. Last years team would be 0-3 right now just because thats the way the balls and calls were bouncing last year.

This year we get a Bears team with a rookie QB starting and they could have won if not for killing themselves with penalties at the end. Dallas choking during 2 minutes of the game after totally shutting down the offense for 55 minutes and Seattle missing a field goal that would win them the game 4-5ths of the time. So I'd say that we won 2 games that we probably shouldn't have and the other one is a toss up. Sure, 3 wins but none were convincing, kinda like the Patriots though I admit.

If the Redskins beat the Broncos in Denver, no matter how they win I believe that makes them automatic Top 5 though. Not many bad teams win games in Denver.

What needs to happen is Champ having another of his 2004 signature games where Moss or Patten burn him for 150+ yards and 2-3 TD's. That would be sweet and he would go to the Pro Bowl anyway because he is still the best corner in the league. ;)

WSH_1058.gif

Does ESPN hate the Washington Redskins? Their website power rankings still doesn't have the Redskins in the top 10. The only undefeated team not to be in the top 5 of any power ranking. I feel it's because they are racist. They hate native americans. :)

I know are games have been close wins, but to say it's all been luck isn't fair. I think the Redskins should be at least ranked 10th.

Yahoo has us at #11.......I think that's pretty close.....

THE TOP 12

1. Indianapolis Colts (4-0) – If you think Indy's offense heated up Sunday, the next three games should be a lesson in nuclear fission: at San Francisco, vs. St. Louis and at Houston. Peyton Manning will triple his touchdown total by the end of October.

2. Philadelphia Eagles (3-1) – The Eagles have yet to miss defensive tackle Corey Simon. Rookie Mike Patterson has two sacks and is leading Philadelphia's defensive linemen in tackles.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers (2-1) – The Monday night game in San Diego suddenly is looking like Pittsburgh's biggest test so far this season. Ben Roethlisberger could have a field day against the Chargers' average secondary.

4. Cincinnati Bengals (4-0) – Dating to last season, Carson Palmer now has seven straight starts with a passer rating of 100-plus. Cincinnati showed us something we hadn't seen this season by dealing with a lot of adversity against Houston and responding in the fourth quarter.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-0) – The nail biter over Detroit at home might give some pause about Tampa's fast start, but the Bucs still won despite four turnovers. Expanding Michael Pittman's role as a receiver could add a huge dimension to the offense.

6. Atlanta Falcons (3-1) – The Falcons lead the league with 17 sacks in four games. Five of those belong to defensive tackle Rod Coleman, who is looking like a lighter, quicker version of Warren Sapp.

7. Denver Broncos (3-1) – The defensive turnaround has been huge, but establishing the running game has been just as vital for the Broncos. After a slow start, Denver has rushed for 409 yards in the last two games.

8. San Diego Chargers (2-2) – After getting knocked around in the first two games of the season, Drew Brees barely has been touched the last two weeks. LaDainian Tomlinson and Keenan McCardell rank first and fourth in the NFL in touchdowns.

9. New England Patriots (2-2) – Now we see the injuries starting to drag on this team. And it doesn't help that a handful of the Patriots' offseason acquisitions (particularly Duane Starks and Chad Scott) have been disappointments.

10. New York Giants (3-1) – Plaxico Burress' four touchdown catches are twice as many as the entire receiving corps had in all of 2004. It's hard to believe Eli Manning has more touchdowns (nine) than his brother Peyton (six).

11. Washington Redskins (3-0) – Still waiting for the wheels to fall off with Mark Brunell at the helm? He was huge under pressure in the win over Seattle, completing 11 of 15 passes on third down for 138 yards.

12. Kansas City Chiefs (2-2) – The Chiefs' defense is slumping, but Sunday's loss had just as much to do with four offensive turnovers that led to 24 Philadelphia points. Tony Gonzalez has no touchdowns and is averaging a career-low 8.1 yards per catch.

RISING

Miami Dolphins (2-1) – The Dolphins are holding teams to 2.9 yards per carry – tops in the NFL. You have to love the way Nick Saban stood up for his guys when the league levied some fines last week.

THE MUDDLED MIDDLE (in alphabetical order)

Baltimore Ravens (1-2) – With defense and a grinding ball-possession offense, Baltimore has found a way to protect Anthony Wright from himself. Now the schedule turns to mush, with the next three opponents having a combined record of 3-6.

Carolina Panthers (2-2) – Even without Kris Jenkins, the defense has been surprisingly porous. This was supposed to be the season when Julius Peppers had a Reggie White-type impact, yet he's sackless in four games.

Chicago Bears (1-2) – Now is the time to seize the NFC North, with the Bears entering a ridiculously soft portion of the schedule. Five of Chicago's next six opponents are worse than .500. Those five teams have a combined record of 5-12.

Cleveland Browns (1-2) – Trent Dilfer has a passer rating of 95.1 and has completed better than 66 percent of his passes. But if he's going to lead this team anywhere this season, he has to make hay in the next five games before the schedule gets a lot tougher.

Dallas Cowboys (2-2) – Dallas needs to get better production out of Julius Jones than his 3.5 yards per carry average. His longest run in 96 carries this season went for 14 yards.

Detroit Lions (1-2) – The vaunted receiving corps has been a disappointment. Charles Rogers is on the verge of a substance abuse suspension, Roy Williams has been average and Mike Williams still is mired near the bottom of the depth chart.

Jacksonville Jaguars (2-2) – Jimmy Smith is on a pace to enjoy the best season of what is starting to look like a Hall of Fame career. Too bad Jacksonville can't find a No. 2 receiver to complement him.

New Orleans Saints (2-2) – Sunday was Deuce McAllister at his toughest. After wearing Buffalo's defense down for three quarters, he iced the game late in the fourth by helping run out the clock with consecutive runs of 10, 15, 12 and 26 yards.

New York Jets (1-3) – After the offense put up only 152 yards against Baltimore, you can say goodbye to the Brooks Bollinger era. It's still early, but Laveranues Coles is on pace for his worst season since he was a rookie in 2000.

Oakland Raiders (1-3) – The defense has had its moments this season, but none was more impressive than stopping Dallas inside the five-yard line to seal Sunday's win. The high-powered offense is averaging only 19 points per game.

St. Louis Rams (2-2) – Everyone thank Mike Martz for another simple lesson: When you're down by 10 points in the third quarter and sitting at your opponent's six-yard line, don't call a play that requires two pitches.

Seattle Seahawks (2-2) – Josh Brown? Meet the world's fastest-acting field-goal karma. The defense's inability to get off the field on third down is one of those red flags that always seem to pop up with the Seahawks.

Tennessee Titans (1-3) – Sticking to the base defense against Indianapolis rather than playing a consistent two-deep zone was a mistake. Pac Man Jones got his first start Sunday, and soon after, his first taunting penalty.

FALLING

Minnesota Vikings (1-3) – Daunte Culpepper has been bad, but his offensive line is downright shameful. With the injuries piling up on both sides of the ball, this might be a 5-11 season in the making.

THE BOTTOM FIVE

28. Buffalo Bills (1-3) – Enough searching for a "spark." It's time for coach Mike Mularkey to sit J.P. Losman down while this team still can make a run at a wild-card spot.

29. Arizona Cardinals (1-3) – Finally, a quarterback gets the Cardinals into the end zone. And speaking of Josh McCown, Kurt Warner doesn't need to bother hurrying back from that groin injury.

30. San Francisco 49ers (1-3) – The pair of defensive touchdowns this weekend won't fool anyone. The 49ers are surrendering an absurd average of almost 474 yards per game – nearly 50 more than the next worst defensive unit in the league.

31. Green Bay Packers (0-4) – The last three losses have come by a total of six points. If the Packers lose to the Saints this week, it might be time to see what they've got for the future, and that means getting Aaron Rodgers some snaps in garbage time.

32. Houston Texans (0-3) – Even with the attention he gets from defenses, Andre Johnson's disappearance is troubling. And before investing another dime anywhere else, the Texans need to blow up an offensive line that has given up 20 sacks in three games.

I have us at number 11. Imo, we need a win on the road against a tough opponent to be considered a top ten team.

Fortunately, we have two opportunites coming up soon to prove we belong in the top ten! I think we'll go 1 and 1 on this road trip, and will be considered an elite team after having done so.

Should we somehow sweep both, we'd have to be considered the best team in the NFC.

Definatley in the top 10, being undefeated and everything, but not in the top 5. The Bengals, Colts, Bucs, Eagles, Falcons all belong ahead of us.

I watched a couple Bucs games (DTV Sunday Ticket). I'm not convinced yet. Cadillac has a bum wheel already. Look for them to taper off a bit. They're HOT right now and playing well but they've only faced - Green Bay, Detroit, Minnesota, and Buffalo. Buffalo has (had) a good 'D', but the others are really not impressive.

Cincy definitely shouldnt be ranked up at #3. You gotta put them behind both Atlanta and Pittsburgh. Why? They have beat teams with a combined record of 3-10. The Skins...10-12 is where they should be...unless they beat Denver, then they jump to around 7-8.

Im putting us at around 12 till we arent so predictable with our formations, hot route on blitzes, and brunell can stop missing deep balls(missed every one except the 2 in dallas).

Though actually I think we can ignore the third if the first 2 happen. So close, and yet so far.

I have us around 12. I cannot put us ahead of New England like many of you did. The teams they are playing is insane. They beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh. Can anyone honestly say that we could go into Pittsburgh and not get killed? I can't..

Denver game this weekend will tell us where we are.

Definatley in the top 10, being undefeated and everything, but not in the top 5. The Bengals, Colts, Bucs, Eagles, Falcons all belong ahead of us.

we belong in front of the falcons.. falcons are as inconsistent as we are.. they loss to seattle.. we beat seattle.. falcons beat eagles, but we has as much possibilities as they to to come out with the win.,.

You guys keep saying who have the Bucs played but all three opponents of the Redskins are at or below .500. I'm not getting giddy over the Giants yet because I want to see how their offense does against better defenses. While being 3-0 is good for the Skins, I don't think questioning the Bucs' opponents is the way to look at this. The Skins opponents have not been world beaters either. Just as the Giants have not. That's why you haven't seen me giddy over here, yet.

']You guys keep saying who have the Bucs played but all three opponents of the Redskins are at or below .500. I'm not getting giddy over the Giants yet because I want to see how their offense does against better defenses. While being 3-0 is good for the Skins' date=' I don't think questioning the Bucs' opponents is the way to look at this. The Skins opponents have not been world beaters either. Just as the Giants have not. That's why you haven't seen me giddy over here, yet.[/quote']

We'd hoped we'd not seen you giddy because you have a three-touchdown loss hung on your boys so giddy should be impossible for now.

As for us, it is true the teams we've played haven't been world beaters. It's just a fact that every power poll ranking Tampa ahead of us ranks each of the opponents we've played more highly than any of the opponents Tampa has played. The fact the Bucs lost to the Lions but for official intervention and won by the greatest of luck -- rare miss of an extra point against Green Bay -- puts them as the most questionable unbeaten team at the moment.

Archived