Extremeskins

Bears rookie backfield hopes to combat the Redskins’ vaunted blitz

Thinking Skins

NFL: Bears rookie backfield hopes to combat the Redskins’ vaunted blitz

Sept. 6, 2005

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/09-06-05_z1_spor_05.html

By Gene Chamberlain

Daily Southtown staff writer

LAKE FOREST — It has all the ingredients of an ugly mess in the Bears backfield.

Kyle Orton on Sunday will be the Bears’ first opening day starting rookie quarterback since Zeke Bratkowski in 1954, he’ll sometimes have rookie running back Cedric Benson as his last line of defense from pass rushers, the Washington Redskins’ vaunted defense rarely needs encouragement to blitz and Sunday’s season-opener is in raucous FedEx Field.

For good measure, toss in the fact the Redskins are pass rushing against a Bears team that allowed a franchise-record 66 sacks last year.

“That’s a concern with all of our young players against a team that thinks about the blitz first,” Bears coach Lovie Smith said Monday.

The Redskins were ninth in total sacks last season even after losing linebacker LaVar Arrington in Week 5 to injury. More than half their sacks — 21-of-40 — came from blitzers.

They rarely worry about who blitzes in an attempt to confuse quarterbacks. For example, cornerback Shawn Springs last year led the team with six sacks.

The obvious problem for Orton will be recognizing the defensive threats thrown at him by Gregg Williams, Washington’s assistant head coach who is in charge of running the defense.

“I know we’re going to get blitzed, but that gives us an opportunity for big plays, so we just have to handle the pressure and make the big plays when they’re there,” Orton said.

Last year Williams’ defense blitzed repeatedly at Soldier Field against inexperienced veteran Jonathan Quinn, who basically looked like a deer caught in headlights. They sacked Quinn four times for 31 yards in losses.

The Bears’ loss in sack yardage was only three short of their entire net passing yards for the day.

Orton has maintained since coming here in the draft’s fourth round that his strong suit is an ability to see the field, strengthened by four years in Purdue’s sophisticated passing attack.

“I’m not going to be surprised by any blitzes or really anything they throw at us so it’s just getting the ball out of my hands and getting it to good players who can make plays and try to score a lot of touchdowns,” he said.

The last two Bears offensive coordinators and offenses limited what a quarterback could do at the line of scrimmage to adjust plays based on what a defense showed.

However, Orton thinks Ron Turner’s new offense will allow him to beat Washington blitzes by altering plays at the line.

“Coach Turner definitely doesn’t limit me in that,” Orton said. “There’s not a whole lot of things you have to get out of. We feel that most of our plays are good against a lot of different looks.

“There are a few situations where we have to get out of some plays.”

Bears right tackle Fred Miller described other offensive players’ confidence in Orton’s ability to detect blitzes as high.

“The preseason games he showed a lot of poise and he played well and he picked up a lot of different blitzes and saw a lot different coverages, and he did a great job with it,” Miller said. “So we’ve just got to go out there and each individual has to do their own job and when you can do your own job then he’ll do his.”

Concern for Benson’s effectiveness in pass blocking exists because he hasn’t had a training camp, has practiced only a week and very few college running backs ever come into the NFL as polished pass blockers against the blitz.

“They know we’ve got a rookie quarterback back there and you know, I’m sure if I get in the game I’m sure they’re definitely coming,” Benson said.

Benson isn’t sure yet how much he’s going to play, although he said he definitely will see some action. He expects he’ll have to contend with blocking blitzers regardless of when his playing time comes.

“I think they might give us something every down and I think it’s

(pass blocking) going to be real important,” he said. “That’s probably one of the biggest challenges.

“I think I have to be real aware because I know for a fact that they’re going to come at us a lot, knowing he’s a rookie.”

It’s not a question of if.

It’s may not even be a question of when.

“I’m not going to be surprised by any blitzes or really anything they throw at us so it’s just getting the ball out of my hands and getting it to good players who can make plays and try to score a lot of touchdowns,” he said.

He has confidence, even if it's misplaced and foolish. He's going to be in for a long day next Sunday.

However, Orton thinks Ron Turner’s new offense will allow him to beat Washington blitzes by altering plays at the line.

Yeah. That worked well for Steve Spurrier against good Defense... :laugh:

Add a rookie QB and he's going to realize he's in a little over his head facing our D.

So he has good blitz recognition huh? How can he recognize something pre-snap that we don't show until the ball is snapped. Most of the time when Springs got his sacks last year he rarely walked up...Most of them were just short sided blitzes where he came from his natural position head up on a receiver. Regardless I'm sure Williams has something cooked up to blow this rookie's mind!

How much you want to be this quote is on the Skin's locker room bulliten board already? And if they score even a single touchdown against us something is wrong.

'make plays and try to score a lot of touchdowns' :)

you never hear a veteran quarterback put this kind of material up for the other team to use the week before a game.

Orton will be lucky to come out of this game with a passer rating higher than his uniform number :laugh:

You haft to like confidence in a rookie QB, but he seems to be talking a little TOO big.... and a little too much. :)

If he thinks Williams and Redskins 'D' (or almost any 'D' in the NFL) can't show him anything more than what he saw in the college ranks at Perdue, he is going to be in for a shock. :)

... it’s just getting the ball out of my hands and getting it to good players who can make plays and try to score a lot of touchdowns,” he said.

Of course that's all it is in theory. The question is - can you DO it Orton? I wouldn't talk about DOING it until after you've done it, Rookie.

...Sunday’s season-opener is in raucous FedEx Field.

That quote made me smile! :cheers:

Famous last words. And I really mean, LAST WORDS!

Our defense certainly will give Benson alot of trouble anytime he's on blitz pickup back there. Usually, that's what gives rookie backs the biggest problems and Benson hasn't had game experience yet, I expect to see Jones in there on all passing downs.

Bingo.

Having a rookie QB is bad enough but to put a rookie RB in there as well? That just spells doom.

The only time they will be throwing with Benson in the backfield is if it's a screen pass to him. That makes for a pretty predictable offense when he is out there. I'm thinking his stat line will look something like 10 carries for 25 yards.

I don't think people outside of Washington understand just how good of a d-coordinator Greg Williams is and just how good our defense was last year and is going to be again this year. I'm sure it has a lot to do with our record last year -- people see that 6-10 record and think nothing about the team could have been good. When the team wins, everything looks better -- players and coaches (how else would one explain Mike Nolan getting multiple coaching offers? The guy's made a career out of making defenses worse but the Giants and Ravens have won when he was on the staff).

But I digress. My point is this: Kyle Orton and all these bear fans who are predicting a big win on Sunday have no frickin' idea what Greg Williams and company have in store for them. We will see Jeff Blake in this game -- it's just a question of how early.

Archived