Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bears rookie backfield hopes to combat the Redskins’ vaunted blitz

Thinking Skins

He talks about our blitzes like you CAN make big plays off of them. Thing is--did anyone(other than Green Bay, and that was cuz Taylor was out) have big passing plays off us last year that had to do with blitz pickup? Sure, Pinkston got his usual long catches, but was any of that blitz related?

He has confidence, even if it's misplaced and foolish. He's going to be in for a long day next Sunday.

Yeah. That worked well for Steve Spurrier against good Defense... :laugh:

Add a rookie QB and he's going to realize he's in a little over his head facing our D.

EXACTLY!!! He's gonna find out REAL quick that this is the NFL and the things he's gonna see and the pain he's gonna feel is gonna be VERY real!

I have liked Orton a lot in the past but he seems really inconsistent...just look at last yr, two months into the season he was the leader for the heisman and Purdue fell off the map and he looked mediocre the rest of the yr...the one thing i think he has going for him is the success of Drew Brees who was a similar QB at Purdue

"Raucous" FedEx Field? Let's hope so! :D

That is funny - I thought the same thing.....FEF only gets raucous when people yell at you to sit down and stop cheering.......

But on a positive note....imagine this:

Lavar comes from the left on a blitz.

ST comes from the right on a blitz.

They get to Orton at exactly the same time. They will hit Orton so hard he will be compressed into a:

425-diamond-big-diamond-pic.jpg

Remember....second only to Oxygen - the human body is made up of huge amounts of Carbon.

This, to me, is the best part: “The preseason games he showed a lot of poise and he played well and he picked up a lot of different blitzes and saw a lot different coverages, and he did a great job with it,”. Yep, every team shows every blitz package, and coverage schemes in preseason games. Truely, he has no idea what he is getting ready to face. I am almost concerned for his health. Almost....... :point2sky

The Bears sure are trying hard to put up locker room bulletin board motivational stuff for us.

Thanks guys. ;)

I would like to see Adam Schein's and John Riggins'quote from todays show posted on the bulletin board.They basically called the Bear's defense as being =to ours.They gave their starting recievers the edge, a slight edge to our o-line, and basically called Orton and Ramsey even.Schein said he smelled an upset.Schein said,he couldn't believe the Skins were 6 and a half point favorite.I know it is not the same as the other team saying it but it should still be pretty motivational.

I know it is encouraging for a young QB to be confident, but this guy is talking like he has already seen everything the NFL has to offer when it comes to defense and blitzing.......Somehow I think he will be thinking different on Sunday......(Yes, THIS SUNDAY WHOOOOOOOOOO)

While college success doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL, Orton has to show confidence in himself and his teammates if he is going to be the leader of his team. I don't see his statements as brash at all. Every one of Purdue's regular season losses was by 3 points or less and the loss to Andrew Walter and Arizona St. in the Sun Bowl was by 4 points.

The kid had a great senior season at Purdue and faced the best the Big 10 had to offer in some hostile venues during his junior and senior seasons. Last year he was blitzed like crazy but was still successful.

New Offensive Coordinator Ron Turner faced Orton while he was the Head Coach at Illinois and knows Orton's strengths and weaknesses. This is a plus for the Bears and is probably why Orton was successful during the preseason and is now the starter. He also operates well out of the shotgun so expect to see it quite a bit from the Bears.

The key for the Skins will be to disguise blitzes and coverages and force him to make changes and audibles at the line. It will be important to take away his hot reads and slant lanes and make him hold the ball longer than he wants to. Tight coverage will help that because his receivers were usually wide open in college. Our D will need to get to him early and rattle him a little bit because if he gets into a rhythm he could be dangerous.

I expect a lot closer game than many on the board because the Bears will be conservative and throw a lot of short passes to negate the blitz. Effective tackling by our D will be important. Since Chicago will be running a modified WCO, YAC will be a killer if we don't tackle. The Bears will make every effort to control time of possession as will Gibbs. I'm thinking 17 points will win this game.

A detailed view of Orton's thought process on the first 3rd down play from the line of scrimmage:

Thought one: "Third and six, not too bad."

Thought two: "Ha, Arrington stepping up to blitz, just as I predicted!"

Thought three: "He looks a lot bigger than he does on tv."

Thought four: "Safety cheating over to Muhammed? Damn, who else is out here with me?"

Thought five: "Note to self, remove crap from underwear at halftime."

Thought six: "No brain, I'm not audibling to a run."

Thought seven: "My cadence is a little raspy, note to self, water soothes a dry throat."

Thought eight: "Wait, where is the left corner? Where did the MLB go? Do they have to many men on the field?"

Thought nine(snap): (Blank)

Archived