Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN: These guys will bust out on offense

bubba9497

These guys will bust out on offense

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/

Our annual look at the 11 young offensive players -- excluding rookies -- who should have a breakout season in 2005.

Quarterbacks

In his second season, Byron Leftwich arrived. In his third, he should take off. The Jaguars have tried to tailor their offense to Leftwich, one of the more perceptive quarterbacks in the league. For the first time in his NFL career, Leftwich will be allowed to use audibles. That will allow him the freedom to avoid bad play calls and take advantage of mismatches. The Jaguars also want to give Leftwich more opportunities to take shots downfield off play-action, which should highlight his big arm.

Receivers

There isn't a more physically gifted receiver than the Lions' Roy Williams, and he seems ready to show more of that ability. Williams came to the Lions not really knowing how to apply himself by NFL standards. He has learned how to work and prepare, and his performance this season should indicate that.

Atlanta is a team that needs a No. 1 receiver to emerge, and Michael Jenkins has the best chance of being that guy. A thin player who did not know how to play physically coming out of college, Jenkins gained 15 pounds in the Falcons' offseason program and is up to 220. He has put in extra time with quarterback Michael Vick in an attempt to improve their chemistry.

Tight end

Ben Watson of the Patriots appeared ready to produce as a rookie before a season-ending knee injury in practice the week before Game 2. When the rest of the team went home to celebrate for a month after the Patriots won the Super Bowl, the 2004 first-round pick stayed in Foxborough to work out. Watson is healthy now, and he's a weapon unlike any the Patriots have had.

Running backs

It took Kevin Jones awhile to get his NFL legs. Once he did, he was one of the finest backs in the NFL. If Jones produces for 16 games the way he did for the last eight of his rookie season, he will rush for 1,812 yards and average 5.3 yards per carry. He's more prepared to put together a full season, having added six pounds in the team's offseason conditioning program. The Lions' deep group of gifted receivers also should help Jones.

Several other running backs, especially Steven Jackson of the Rams and Julius Jones of the Cowboys, could be considered breakout candidates. But LaMont Jordan of the Raiders cannot be overlooked. He already has proved he can run in the NFL, with a 4.9-yard average per carry over four years. Now he just needs to prove he can carry the ball 25 times a game. He is certain to get a lot of handoffs with Norv Turner calling plays, and he's likely to see a lot of wide-open spaces with Randy Moss keeping the safeties from cheating up.

Tackles

Robert Gallery played well as a rookie, but he's capable of playing a lot better. With his will to improve and physical talent, Gallery could be one of the league's finest tackles this year. The Raiders plan to keep him at right tackle, where he encountered more elite pass rushers last season than he would have at left tackle.

You might not be familiar with Jordan Black, but Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis knows who he is. Black pancaked Lewis in a Monday game last season. The favorite to start at right tackle for the Chiefs, Black will be playing among a cluster of Pro Bowl players -- left tackle Willie Roaf, left guard Brian Waters, right guard Will Shields and tight end Tony Gonzalez. He also will be blocking for Priest Holmes, one of the game's most dazzling runners.

After playing guard as a rookie, Jake Grove probably will move to center this season. The Raiders' 2004 second-round pick, Grove was a center in college and wants to play there. His athleticism and toughness can be best used at that position.

Guards

Chris Snee was outstanding as a rookie for the Giants, standing up to big, tough defensive tackles. With his nasty disposition and doggedness, Snee can emerge as a Pro Bowl-caliber player.

Rex Hadnot became a starter for the Dolphins late last season, and now he looks like the most physical, hard-nosed blocker on the team. He has the athleticism to get to the second level and the toughness to win the short-area battles.

Originally posted by FARAPS

shut the hell up traitor you wish we drafted a cowboy???

:puke:

love that logic, er lack thereof. he really wasn't a cowboy BEFORE we drafted him, now was he? you don't see williams running around pointing his gun at people over stolen ATV's do you?

that said, i'm still happy we have taylor, but its not like he was a cowboy in the draft...just pointing out your lack of logic in that argument.

and yeah, what'd the rest of you expect? no love for the skins...

hes a cowboy now smart ass you cant turn back time regardless of what you say he IS a cowboy. now if you want to turn back time and then draft him be my guest youd be making a mistake. i love how you judge taylor after only one year. why dont you wait a little longer before you say you regret drafting him.

ooo haha yea i did make myself look really stupid. i didnt even think about the fact that roy was drafted a couple years earlier my bad. with that said i still dont regret picking taylor, at least not yet. i think we owe it to him to give him a little more than one year before we judge him. sorry again for the stupidity

Maybe a little anger management in this thread is needed.

I am not giving up on Taylor, however, what happens if he gets found guilty and gets 3 - 5 years in jail? I don't think this will happen, but what if it does? As I said in another thread if it gets to a jury than who can predict what a jury will do? The skins made the right choice in drafting Taylor. It is just unfortunate he has not learned that it was a good choice for him.

Concerning this thread, the skins have to start winning games before they get respect.

Originally posted by FARAPS

shut the hell up traitor you wish we drafted a cowboy???

:puke:

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Lions Wide Receiver Roy Williams, who was mentioned in this thread's article, was drafted #7 last year, 2 spots after Taylor.

The Lions got an absolute steal, because the Browns bought into the KWII hype and sent the Lions an extra draft pick to move up one spot.

Williams is going to be the next Randy Moss, but without the bad attitude.

The only Redskin I'd think would have had a chance to make that list is Cooley as a TE, given how supposedly weak our WRs are going to be and how much supposedly stronger our OL should be, but apparently if a Patriot plays one NFL game he get's the nod. :)

Also, I ws a little shocked Lamont Jordan makes the list. YPC as a backup mean nothing. It amazes me how much slack Norv turner still gets after now EIGHT dismal seasons. Shrug.

Originally posted by portis&taylor

I think Bryron leftwhich will be a great QB next he is to much like culpepper not too.

???? Tall Balck and has a big arm?

Daunte is a Scrambler Leftwhich is a pocket passer who couldn't run away from Ethan Albright. Leftwhich is a better pure passer then Daunte.

Originally posted by Henry

The only Redskin I'd think would have had a chance to make that list is Cooley as a TE, given how supposedly weak our WRs are going to be and how much supposedly stronger our OL should be, but apparently if a Patriot plays one NFL game he get's the nod. :)

Also, I ws a little shocked Lamont Jordan makes the list. YPC as a backup mean nothing. It amazes me how much slack Norv turner still gets after now EIGHT dismal seasons. Shrug.

I thought Cooley was a H-back? Isn't Robert Royal the TE. I kinda expect bigger numbers from both of them this year. If we can get any kind of a vertical passing game going, then these guys are perfect to get more of the 8-12 yard passes.

Also I think some guys on our defense will break out, but it depends on who wins the MLB job and how this Sean Taylor situation works out.

Originally posted by blakman211

I thought Cooley was a H-back? Isn't Robert Royal the TE. I kinda expect bigger numbers from both of them this year. If we can get any kind of a vertical passing game going, then these guys are perfect to get more of the 8-12 yard passes.

I think that may be the reason Cooley was left off the list. But I think you still have to consider his position a skill position, and of those listed above he's closest to a TE. I think it would have been ok to put him up there if that was the only reason he was left off. Maybe that's just me though.

Archived