Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has sportscenter fallen off?

Spaceman Spiff

Anyone not liking sportscenter anymore? I'm tired of these "human interest" stories that they're showing now. Yeah, they leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling after :rolleyes: but I just want my highlights, scores and interviews and thats it. Sorry for sounding callous and coldhearted but every time I see one of these stories I just roll my eyes and change the channel....

thats funny i have been thinking the same thing i cant watch it for too long where i used to stay glued all day over and over and over again....the anchors are weak at best there is no meat or grit to the show anymore..i find myself watching espn news just to get it over with.

the worst part about the "feel good" stories is that they play them at least 10 times each. then, 3 months later, they'll use the same story again.

i also hate all the sponsorships....."the built ford tough top ten" or the "budweiser hot seat" etc.

the worst though, is when berman anchors. that guy is a doof.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

Anyone not liking sportscenter anymore? I'm tired of these "human interest" stories that they're showing now. Yeah, they leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling after :rolleyes: but I just want my highlights, scores and interviews and thats it. Sorry for sounding callous and coldhearted but every time I see one of these stories I just roll my eyes and change the channel....

I was thinking the same thing this weekend. As soon as they start playing one of their human interest stories, I immediately change the channel. I hate watching that crap. I just want to see highlights.

I don't want to see a story about a mentally retarded kid from the inner city who just overcame cancer whose grandmother died in a horse riding accident, who was attacked by a wild dog, who is a former drug addict, and whose only motivation to keep him going is his love for Tracy McGrady.

I'd say that the decline is more widspread at ESPN than just at Sportscenter. They've moved away from quick witted humor to a ton of nonsense pop music and splashy graphic interludes. It was much better when it was simple and based on the sports now, their shows are "entertainment" based and they integrate a couple highlights here and there.

The network has moved a long way from where it was years ago. It's too bad, because these days, aside from Joe Morgan, Rick Sutcliffe, Jon Miller, and the Baseball Tonight crew, (and those twins who do the show on ESPN Classic), the network is a mess and totally unwatchable.

:2cents:

we are in a dark age of sports coverage and announcing right now.

Thing about the guys who call National NFL, NBA, MLB games.....and be honest. Could you just watch it with the sound turned down, and listen to a CD? If the answer is always YES....unless somebody looks hurt or there was a crazy foul, and you want to hear what happened.

Then you're with me.

Originally posted by Bufford

we are in a dark age of sports coverage and announcing right now.

Thing about the guys who call National NFL, NBA, MLB games.....and be honest. Could you just watch it with the sound turned down, and listen to a CD? If the answer is always YES....unless somebody looks hurt or there was a crazy foul, and you want to hear what happened.

Then you're with me.

that I can pretty much agree with. I was thinking I like watching sportscenter when college and pro football are going strong, but now I realize, I just wanna watch the plays, anything important is printed on the bottom, so there is no point in really listening to them talk.

I get my highlights from ESPNews. That station is leaps and bounds better.

The problem is, since Sportscenter is an hour long now (sometimes an hour and a 1/2) there's a ton of time that has to be filled. And stories about Payne Stewart's death five years ago (which i saw three times), or a story about a lesbian high school basketball coach is all that's around to fill the void.

Whenever an anchor says "Here's Steve Syphres with the story" you know it's time to change the channel.

I did that this morning, I watched Saved By The Bell instead....

I watch ESPN News much more than I do sportscenter these days. The majority of the information I look for appears at the bottom of the screen and it's update consistently.

As far as the insight that is provided or supposed to be provided by the anchors, I prefer retrieving that information online via ESPN's website or other sites geared towards sports news.

Baseball Tonight is the best sports show on television in football's offseason (NFL Primetime trumps all). BT is where I get my baseball fix becasue the analysis, updates, and Web Gems are great.

SportsCenter has definitely sold out. I realized this when instead of running the "Bottom Line" with scores, they ran a ticker for TWENTY HOURS counting down the hours, minutes, and seconds for a new episode of the World Series of Poker. :mad:

And yeah, if I see the Stu Unger story on SC one more time... :puke:

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one to think SC is garbage now. The anchors are nothing but toolbox sycophants that'd drop to their knees in two seconds for these athletes. Pathetic. I heard last year, the bigwigs at ESPN even had the audacity to consider making ESPN a premium channel, i.e. HBO, Showtime, where we'd have to PAY for it. Gimme a break. Hate sportscenter.

Originally posted by dviands

the worst part about the "feel good" stories is that they play them at least 10 times each. then, 3 months later, they'll use the same story again.

i also hate all the sponsorships....."the built ford tough top ten" or the "budweiser hot seat" etc.

the worst though, is when berman anchors. that guy is a doof.

YES! i hate the fact that they rerun those feel good stories over and over.

colleen dominguez is a hottie though...

The anchors have become the point of the show instead of merely its hosts. They treat the highlights as simply something to exploit so that they can be on the air, which is pretty much what they are to them.

That approach lost its novelty years ago, and none of them are compelling enough for me to care. I don't watch anymore.

Archived