Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has sportscenter fallen off?

Spaceman Spiff

Originally posted by redman

The anchors have become the point of the show instead of merely its hosts. They treat the highlights as simply something to exploit so that they can be on the air, which is pretty much what they are to them.

That approach lost its novelty years ago, and none of them are compelling enough for me to care. I don't watch anymore.

Exactly. :cheers: This is the problem. The anchors are no longer reporting news anymore. Now they are "jazzing up" the news with their own "flavor". It really makes for poor TV. To me, Patrick, Olberman, Ley, and Steiner were the best. They knew how to report the news of sports, and occassionally interject something witty that would make me pause and smile. Now, the anchors are trying too hard to make me smile. Just give me the news. If I wanted to laugh that much, I do have comedy central!

I used to listen to Patrick's radio show when he first started, but was very turned off by how arrogant he became. I think he has lessened that quite a bit, which is good. However, that arrogance pervades almost all of ESPN now. Someone ealier said it is all about entertainment, and it is. Not news, entertainment. I enjoy PTI b/c of the personalities and the banter. But I never watch it for news. Only entertainment. If you want sports news, there are plently of internet sites that will suffice. Lots even come with highlights too. :)

Gee, I still like ESPN. Try my routine. SportsCenter (and maybe a little ESPNEWS) in the morning, ESPN Radio (XM 140) on the way to work, switch to Tony K. at 11:00 a.m., lunch from 12:00 to 1:00, Dan Patrick from 1:00 until....hmm...a little MLB or NASCAR until around 4:00 for some Eric Kuselias until 5:30. If I'm at home, SportsCenter at 6:00 and then either NFL Network or NASCAR Nation later. I'm a junkie.

What has happened to Sportscenter is that all of the anchors that made the show the hit it was in the 90s, aren't there anymore, or if they host, it's only a couple times a month. The anchors they have right now, dont bring anything exciting or interesting to the table.

The feel good stories that you all are talking about is that too often used "overcoming adversity" that some people like to see but bore others. It's to attract the people that are just flipping through the channels and they see a story like that, ESPN is using those to get them to keep watching, cause if a non-sports person sees sports highlights, they wont watch but if it's a story like the adversity ones, they hope that those people will tune in.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

Anyone not liking sportscenter anymore? I'm tired of these "human interest" stories that they're showing now. Yeah, they leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling after :rolleyes: but I just want my highlights, scores and interviews and thats it. Sorry for sounding callous and coldhearted but every time I see one of these stories I just roll my eyes and change the channel....

I was thinking the same thing. :laugh:

Like today they randomly had that story about the woman basketball coach that turned out to be a lesbian, and than got fired. I was thinking, what does this have to do with the NBA Finals, US Open, or baseball???

Guest Gichin13
Originally posted by Pharmaceutical Redskin

There aren't any good anchors anymore either. I don't think I know any of their names. They all seem like the same person. I miss the days of Olberman, Patrick, Kilborne, Eisen, Mayne, etc.

Big drop off from the heyday. I do not even watch anymore.

All of the ESPN channels and shows suck. Sportscenter is not even tolerable anymore. I get tired of all the anchors trying to find a new catch phrase. ESPN classic shows some B.S. called Cheap Seats. Why don't they show more football highlights instead of these stupid shows. Man I miss the NFL network.

Best quotes from Sports Center:

"He went five knuckle shuffle with the turn around no-look dime noogie and got paid and sold posters."

"Olden Polynice drives the lane, and he's all "I'm not gonna pay a lot for this muffler!" But Karl Malone is all, "You are gonna pay a lot for this muffler, and the cost is going to be prohibitive!"

"Sweet Sassy Molassy!!!

:logo:

Originally posted by PapaDRoc

Like today they randomly had that story about the woman basketball coach that turned out to be a lesbian, and than got fired. I was thinking, what does this have to do with the NBA Finals, US Open, or baseball???

Yeah, thats the story that inspired me to create this thread. I was like "crap, what the hell is this." it was the longest story of the night! they spent more time on it than the nba finals...

I love sports more than anyone I know. I'm obsessed with sports. Yet, I hate ESPN more than I even hate MTV. ESPN ruined sports by creating the sports landscape that is today. Sportscenter is the worst. A bunch of nerdy white guys and women trying to talk like Stuart Scott. Whatever.

I watch ESPN and get pissed on how a team can lose by 10 runs/points yet they'll show the highlights of the homeruns/dunks/goals of the losing team.

Sportscenter ruined sports. Players learned to market themselves because of how popular culture rewards the guy who dunks rather than the guy who makes the important pass that sets up the winning shot.

ESPN creates hype in the same manner that MTV does. Especially to young stars. Noone is denying the star that Tiger Woods is but after a tournament, Tiger's whole round is dissected, no matter how he played, while the winner might have a blurb or two.

So many players owe their lives to the ESPN hype machine. They should seriously pay royalties to the network.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

I love sports more than anyone I know. I'm obsessed with sports. Yet, I hate ESPN more than I even hate MTV. ESPN ruined sports by creating the sports landscape that is today. Sportscenter is the worst. A bunch of nerdy white guys and women trying to talk like Stuart Scott. Whatever.

I watch ESPN and get pissed on how a team can lose by 10 runs/points yet they'll show the highlights of the homeruns/dunks/goals of the losing team.

Sportscenter ruined sports. Players learned to market themselves because of how popular culture rewards the guy who dunks rather than the guy who makes the important pass that sets up the winning shot.

ESPN creates hype in the same manner that MTV does. Especially to young stars. Noone is denying the star that Tiger Woods is but after a tournament, Tiger's whole round is dissected, no matter how he played, while the winner might have a blurb or two.

So many players owe their lives to the ESPN hype machine. They should seriously pay royalties to the network.

I agree i remeber last year, for baseball, they have the scores and what not, but in the bottom line they are telling you where bonds is batting in the lineup.

:puke:

sportscenter has become one huge joke to me. none of the anchors are good, they cant attempt these catch phrases without messing up the read on the actual highlight, and i cant believe any of them would actually say anything like that in real life.

i usually watch sportscenter on sundays during the NFL season, but even then Chris Berman ruins my life with his high pitched 'whoop!' and his 'rumblin', bumblin', stumblin'' nonsense.

on a Berman sidenote, did anyone notice how out of his mind he looked during the NFL draft. he looked like he hadnt achored a sports show in years. he couldnt finish sentences or thought and was sweating like they were doing the show outdoors in the bahamas. it was a trainwreck!:puke:

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Sound like a certain Eagle WR?

JK :)

Yeah, I can see that argument and I agree to a certain extent. Just like MTV killed music. Good analogy there.

I think the original anchors were great, now everyones just trying to live up to Olberman, Mayne, etc. Those guys were naturals, these guys are forcing it all.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates Berman.

That said, I like their magazine.

Originally posted by nickfox45

on a Berman sidenote, did anyone notice how out of his mind he looked during the NFL draft. he looked like he hadnt achored a sports show in years. he couldnt finish sentences or thought and was sweating like they were doing the show outdoors in the bahamas. it was a trainwreck!:puke:

Sounds like he was hitting the night life. And it hit back.

Originally posted by PapaDRoc

Holy new avatar, batman! Thrash as the special teams ace! Woo-hoo!

Holy crap, has anyone watched tonight???

The guys covering the finals are flip flopping all over the place. Now that the Pistons won they're saying the pistons will win game 7 and talking like the Spurs are falling apart. I thought I heard the other night the Spurs were a surefire bet to win?

Archived