Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

100% gone

newskinsowner

Just another sign Gardner leaving Redskins

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Moving closer to the divorce both sides have acknowledged is imminent, the Washington Redskins and Rod Gardner have mutually agreed that the veteran wide receiver will not attend the team's mandatory minicamp this weekend.

The absence of Gardner at the minicamp, which begins on Friday, is hardly surprising. Given that his four-year tenure in Washington has all but ended, the team essentially excused Gardner from all offseason activities. The agreement that Gardner will skip the minicamp, however, further confirms his pending departure.

Early in the offseason, Washington afforded Gardner and agent Joel Segal permission to seek potential trade scenarios with other NFL teams. Despite discussions with several franchises — Minnesota, Seattle and Cleveland, among them — a deal never developed. That is in part, likely, because teams knew that Gardner would eventually be released and they could then sign him as an unrestricted free agent.

That scenario, with the Redskins officially cutting ties to their 2001 first-round draft choice, will come in the next few weeks.

By releasing Gardner, the Redskins will recoup $2.096 million in cap space, the full amount of his scheduled 2005 base salary. Washington will need that salary cap room to help sign its draft picks and possibly tinker slightly with the roster before camp begins. Gardner's base salary is currently the highest on the team.

In four seasons, Gardner has 227 receptions for 2,997 yards and 22 touchdowns. The former Clemson star, selected with the 15th overall choice in 2001, posted a career-best 71 catches for 1,006 yards and eight touchdowns in 2002. But what many felt would be a breakout season was followed by two years in which Gardner averaged 55 catches, 625 yards and five touchdowns.

Gardner, 27, suffered through stretches of inconsistency in 2004, dropped too many passes, and had just 51 receptions for 650 yards. His problems in 2004 aside, some teams still feel Gardner can be a solid No. 2 receiver, and that he can be acquired with a palatable contract, perhaps a one-year deal that would provide him the chance to re-establish himself and then go back into the free agent market next spring.

Washington has dramatically revamped its wide receiver corps in the offseason. The Redskins traded starter Laveranues Coles to the New York Jets for Santana Moss. The club also signed veteran free agents David Patten, Kevin Dyson and Jimmy Farris.

I'm surprised Gardner isn't howling to be let go. I would be.

Could it be that he's enjoying sitting around doing nothing rather than working out with another team?

If anyone has a better explanation I'm all ears.

Gibbs is making an example out of him after we got screwed by LC. (A nice move I might add) If he wasn't - he would have been released already.

Nobody's giving us a warm can of diet rite cola for him.

Oh and let me add that I would support Gibbs if he restructured others to get under the cap just to let gardner sit on the bench all season.

Originally posted by newskinsowner

Just another sign Gardner leaving Redskins

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Moving closer to the divorce both sides have acknowledged is imminent, the Washington Redskins and Rod Gardner have mutually agreed that the veteran wide receiver will not attend the team's mandatory minicamp this weekend.

The absence of Gardner at the minicamp, which begins on Friday, is hardly surprising. Given that his four-year tenure in Washington has all but ended, the team essentially excused Gardner from all offseason activities. The agreement that Gardner will skip the minicamp, however, further confirms his pending departure.

Early in the offseason, Washington afforded Gardner and agent Joel Segal permission to seek potential trade scenarios with other NFL teams. Despite discussions with several franchises — Minnesota, Seattle and Cleveland, among them — a deal never developed. That is in part, likely, because teams knew that Gardner would eventually be released and they could then sign him as an unrestricted free agent.

That scenario, with the Redskins officially cutting ties to their 2001 first-round draft choice, will come in the next few weeks.

By releasing Gardner, the Redskins will recoup $2.096 million in cap space, the full amount of his scheduled 2005 base salary. Washington will need that salary cap room to help sign its draft picks and possibly tinker slightly with the roster before camp begins. Gardner's base salary is currently the highest on the team.

In four seasons, Gardner has 227 receptions for 2,997 yards and 22 touchdowns. The former Clemson star, selected with the 15th overall choice in 2001, posted a career-best 71 catches for 1,006 yards and eight touchdowns in 2002. But what many felt would be a breakout season was followed by two years in which Gardner averaged 55 catches, 625 yards and five touchdowns.

Gardner, 27, suffered through stretches of inconsistency in 2004, dropped too many passes, and had just 51 receptions for 650 yards. His problems in 2004 aside, some teams still feel Gardner can be a solid No. 2 receiver, and that he can be acquired with a palatable contract, perhaps a one-year deal that would provide him the chance to re-establish himself and then go back into the free agent market next spring.

Washington has dramatically revamped its wide receiver corps in the offseason. The Redskins traded starter Laveranues Coles to the New York Jets for Santana Moss. The club also signed veteran free agents David Patten, Kevin Dyson and Jimmy Farris.

What would make this article better would be a link.:cool:

Lenny is predicting a modest one year contract. We heard that Gardner refused trade offers that did not give him a long term deal. It wouldn't make sense that Gardner would agree now to a one year deal when he could have taken his current one year $2 mil contract with him in a trade.

Something doesn't add up here.

Originally posted by zoony

Lenny got laid.

:puke:

Originally posted by skinshog

Now that, is not right, let alone probably not possible.

Actually, Hutts are hermaphroditic, containing both male and female sex organs. Hutts are generally considered male unless they are pregnant, at which point they are referred to as female.

Meaning, If you told Jabba the Len to go eff himself, well......

Originally posted by Kevin B.

Gibbs is making an example out of him after we got screwed by LC. (A nice move I might add) If he wasn't - he would have been released already.

That has to be right. I can't believe anyone would want to trade for him at this point. My friend (who is an Eagles fan) told me that the Skins were going to release him and the Eagles would pick him up and he will make the pro bowl, just like Trotter did.

I really hope we beat the crap out of them at least once this year.

:eaglesuck

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

Actually, Hutts are hermaphroditic, containing both male and female sex organs. Hutts are generally considered male unless they are pregnant, at which point they are referred to as female.

TK- You must be one HECK of a Star Wars freak to know the biological gender info of an imaginary species. :)

Originally posted by Chachie

TK- You must be one HECK of a Star Wars freak to know the biological gender info of an imaginary species. :)

Star Wars? Can't stand that mess. Give me James T. Kirk anyday.

Now, I do however know where to find & how to use the Star Wars databank.

How's Joanie? :)

Originally posted by newskinsowner

You know i used to do links but i would get a bunch of people whining saying "they cant open the link" or blah blah blah or "can someone post the link?"

so yes i just did the simple copy and paste.

ALWAYS post the link.

It's in our Rules & Guidelines. But you know that, beacause you've taken the time to read them & make yourself familiar with them, right?

Archived