Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official "All Things Sean Taylor" Thread - (MERGED 34X)

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, June 5, 2005; 4:48 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/05/AR2005060500742.html

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor posted bond and was released from police custody at 11:32 Saturday night after surrendering to authorities and being charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, a felony, and one count of simple battery, a misdemeanor, according to police and detention center reports. Accompanied by his lawyer, Fred Maldovan, Taylor paid a bond of $16,500 at the Turner, Gilford and Knight Correctional Facility, a source said, and no arraignment date has been set yet.

Taylor, 22, the fifth overall pick in the 2004 draft, was arrested in connection with an incident that occurred Wednesday night in Miami, where he resides. According to a police report, Taylor and a co-defendant, Charles Caughman, 19, of Baltimore, drove up to a residence in a blue 2005 GMC Yukon Denali truck and Taylor pointed a gun at two individuals he believed had stolen two all-terrain vehicles from him and demanded they be returned. No shots were fired and Taylor and Caughman left the scene before returning 10 minutes later.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor posts bond and is released from custody in Miami after being arrested Saturday.

Taylor reportedly is charged with one count of aggravated assault and one count of simple battery stemming from an incident in Miami.

Taylor sought by Miami police as a "person of interest" in an assault case.

At this point, police say Taylor, whom the team lists as 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, exited the vehicle and began assaulting one victim, swinging and missing with a closed fist before a fight ensued. Caughman, who was arrested and charged with aggravated assault on the night of the incident, chased the other victim with a baseball bat before he and Taylor fled the scene, according to the police report. The incident took place less than two miles from Taylor's residence in Miami. Police have not been able to determine if the victims were involved in the theft of Taylor's vehicles.

Taylor's mother, Donna Junor, could not be reached this afternoon, and his father, Pedro, the chief of police in Florida City, has not commented on the matter, referring media calls to Junor.

Police had been trying to question Taylor since the time of the incident, but he did not surrender to them until 10 p.m. Saturday night. Taylor is the only Redskins player skipping the team's voluntary offseason program here, and his absence had already been the cause of concern and disappointment within the organization prior to his arrest. Coach Joe Gibbs has often expressed his dissatisfaction with Taylor's decision to remain in Florida while his teammates trained and practiced at Redskins Park, and the second-year player had not returned numerous calls from Gibbs and his staff. Taylor's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has not returned repeated phone calls, and Moldovan did not return a message left at his office yesterday. The Redskins are making no comment on the most incident beyond the statement they issued late Saturday night, which said: "We have just been made aware of a potential situation in Miami regarding Sean Taylor. The representatives for Taylor are keeping us informed as to the developments of the situation. There is nothing we can add to the process at this time."

Police officials noted in a news release that the team cooperated fully in their investigation. The NFL is making no comment on Taylor at this time, and the league waits until the legal process is complete before fining or suspenging players in these instances.

H-back Chris Cooley, who was Washington's second pick in the 2004 draft, said he hopes this is the last of Taylor's legal problems. "For me it's tough to hear about, because you see the guy on the field and know him in locker room, and he is a good guy," Cooley said. "Lots of guys on the team like him, and I talk to him all the time and know him pretty well, and it's hard to see. You have a different life from when you come in the locker room and when you walk out of there, and you hope people care more about football and doing good things than going out and getting in trouble. I hope it works out for the best for him.

"He has to learn from it. If he doesn't learn from it, then obviously everything will end fast for him; there's no other way if you want to stay in the NFL. Especially now, it seems like to me the league is really trying to keep everyone having a good name and they want the NFL to look like a good, clean organization and they really come down hard on people that make it look bad. He has no choice but to learn from it and not do it again."

After last year's draft, Gibbs spoke at length about the amount of time and resources spent checking into Taylor's makeup and background before selecting him, but the player has been plagued by off-field issues since then. Initial contract negotiations were delayed as Taylor went through a prolonged spell without representation after twice firing his agents before re-hiring Rosenhaus.

Taylor quickly became displeased with the contract worth a minimum of $18 million and a maximum of $40 million based on incentives that he had negotiated under a prior agent, and team officials met with Rosenhaus this spring to hear those concerns, although no alterations were made to that deal. After that meeting Gibbs said he no longer believed Taylor's absence was related to his contract, although Rosenhaus never provided the club with a full explanation for Taylor's reluctance to spent time at Redskins Park this offseason.

Running back Clinton Portis, Taylor's teammate in Washington and at the University of Miami, said repeatedly that his friend needed time away from football and would ultimately report for mandatory training in good shape. Junor, Taylor's mother, said last week that her son has spent a bulk of the offseason at her house and his great grandmother said that Taylor ate dinner at their home Wednesday night before going out, when police say this incident took place.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

See what happens when we try to merge the same thing at the same time.

I'm thinking the membership should start buying the staff rounds. :)

I'd be very interested to know where the staff meets for cordials seeing as you guys are located all over this beautiful country......Just a cursory look at all of the mega-mod/admins locations leads me to believe you guys meet in Iowa...am I close?

Originally posted by stupidsuck

sorry if this is in one of the many ST threads but I cna't go digging trough all those and I think this was somewhat new info. merge if necessary

We've been merging.

For TWO freaking days.

Rules and Guidelines

17. Adhere to the advise and suggestions of the ExtremeSkins.com staff members.

Staff members are volunteers. They were appointed to staff positions because they exemplify the characteristics, attitude and values consistent with the standards we've set for the site. Their motivations are simple: To always act in the best interests of the site. They have been entrusted and empowered with the ability and authority to achieve that standard. Therefore, their motives should never be challenged or second-guessed.

How friggin hard is it to follow the request that we made

HERE?

We'd love nothing more then to actually be able to read everything & be as caught up as you guys, but we can't when we're merging 30+ ST threads.

It really makes us wonder what's wrong with you guys that you follow a simple request.

Seriously.

Originally posted by zoony

The facts of what happened are starting to come out a little... not sure that this is as bad as what I'd figured.

Agreed, but why in the hell did he think he needed a gun? Dude is a monster and I doubt that there are many other guys that could beat him down. I just don't see that happening very easily.

:whoknows:

I know the Mods have been through heck of late, and us Redskins are fortunate enough not to have to deal with criminal situations like this all the time, but in the future, when a huge story breaks, you might consider allowing for several different posts on a major topic instead of a super duper post. Like: What should the redskins do about ST? what should the NFL do? What are the facts? What is the likely sentence if found guilty? Trying to follow 70 pages of posts is crazy.

Just a suggestion. :)

Originally posted by whitejimmy

I know the Mods have been through heck of late, and us Redskins are fortunate enough not to have to deal with criminal situations like this all the time, but in the future, when a huge story breaks, you might consider allowing for several different posts on a major topic instead of a super duper post. Like: What should the redskins do about ST? what should the NFL do? What are the facts? What is the likely sentence if found guilty? Trying to follow 70 pages of posts is crazy.

Just a suggestion. :)

Try following 34 threads.

Originally posted by Grumpy Vet

What is the latest Zoonster? .....btw - here is a reminder to ask your buddies on the eastern shore what the hell I can do for my Dad's 50th Bday when you go down there on Tuesday....

reminder noted... I'll be in Rehoboth Tuesday morning... :)

The latest from the WP is that Taylor showed up at a persons house who stole 2 SUV's from him and demanded them back. When they refused, Taylor got out of the car and chased the guy and swung at him, but missed.

However, there still is the issue with the gun... that parts not good. But no shots fired and it sounds like he showed it to them to let them know he meant business. That wasn't the smartest :doh:

But overall... if someone ripped me off like that, I might be inclined to try and recover the property on my own as well... especially if I knew the people who did it.

However, I wouldn't wave a gun around, :doh:

Originally posted by redskns56

Agreed, but why in the hell did he think he needed a gun? Dude is a monster and I doubt that there are many other guys that could beat him down. I just don't see that happening very easily.

:whoknows:

Yah... the gun thing wasn't the smartest. :doh:

But someone who steals $15000 worth of my personal property... and I know exactly who it is... I'd like to think I'd do the right thing and just go to the Police.

But who knows... maybe Sean knew these people and wanted to leave the police out of it? :whoknows:

But the facts of this case are continuing to roll in, and I think its safe for us to start commenting on what happened...

Originally posted by Grumpy Vet

Most info I've seen - thanks Authentic....does not sound good.

"Police officials noted in a news release that the team cooperated fully in their investigation. The NFL is making no comment on Taylor at this time, and the league waits until the legal process is complete before fining or suspenging players in these instances."

I'm surprised that the Post didn't report that up until the time ST turned himself in that Snyder had already picked him up in a helicopter and taken him to an undisclosed location and that Snyder will be arrested on Monday for harboring a fugitive.

ST..Dan I'm in big trouble can you help?"

The latest from the WP is that Taylor showed up at a persons house who stole 2 SUV's from him and demanded them back. When they refused, Taylor got out of the car and chased the guy and swung at him, but missed.

However, there still is the issue with the gun... that parts not good. But no shots fired and it sounds like he showed it to them to let them know he meant business. That wasn't the smartest :doh:

But overall... if someone ripped me off like that, I might be inclined to try and recover the property on my own as well... especially if I knew the people who did it.

Thanks for the update......I think I live in another world.....had I that type of opportunity or lifestyle - I'd never fathom doing something like that......Oh wait - I don't even have close to that lifestyle and I'd still never imagine waving a gun at someone.....want my ATV? No problem. Here take my number 36 jersey too....I'll wear 21.

Thanks for remembering to talk to your buds....time is getting close and I have to start making some hard and fast plans. dks provided a link to a riverboat dinner cruise and unfortunately it is not sailing on 7/23.....anything you (your buddies) can suggest would be super appreciated.

Hell if you find something really good - I'll take an axe to my mom's new Burgandy and Gold gas hogging Expedition.....and save the planet.

Sorry if this has been posted, but something just occured to me.

If Taylor owned two ATVs, you have to assume that the guy rode ATVs, thus possibly violating his contract in the same way KWII did.

I bet that there are going to be a ton of ways for the skins to get some of his bonus back if they decide to go that route.

Referencing the article Authentic posted.

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor posted bond and was released from police custody at 11:32 Saturday night after surrendering to authorities and being charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, a felony, and one count of simple battery, a misdemeanor, according to police and detention center reports.

I thought he was charged with only one count of aggravated assault with a firearm.

Taylor reportedly is charged with one count of aggravated assault and one count of simple battery stemming from an incident in Miami.

Ok, must be Jason or Nunyo writing the article because two different facts are stated in the same article.

However, if you click on the link at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/05/AR2005060500742.html

it has an updated article that does not include the second above sentence.

So, was Taylor charged with one or two counts or aggravated assault with a firearm. I thought he was only charged with one. With the 1008X merge thread I might have gotten confused

Sean Taylor needs a hug and some quality time with aromatherapy candles and a golden retriever pup. Then he should read some Shakespeare and Poe, learn about Ancient Egyptian history, perhaps watch some National Geographic Channel to learn about lemurs on Madagascar...take a one-on-one class on "How to be Responsible: The Young Adult's Perspective"...

...and hopefully realize there's more to life than acting the fool and brandishing firearms.

Yah... the gun thing wasn't the smartest. :doh:

But someone who steals $15000 worth of my personal property... and I know exactly who it is... I'd like to think I'd do the right thing and just go to the Police.

But who knows... maybe Sean knew these people and wanted to leave the police out of it? :whoknows:

But the facts of this case are continuing to roll in, and I think its safe for us to start commenting on what happened...

I stated in another one of the thirty something threads:doh: that ATV theft is very popular in south Fl. The easiest way to get a stolen ATV back, is to get it yourself. Some times they get chopped for parts, but most often their just ridden till trashed, then submerged in a canel or lake. Word of mouth on the street is your only real hope in finding them. The cops don't have the time, and there's so many ATV's in some areas, they could stop a hundred a day, and not find yours.

Having worked in an ATV / off road shop for three years down here, we had people come in on a weekly bassis asking us to keep an eye out for their stolen ATV's. It's not uncommon to have them stolen out of your garage while your home. One of my customers had three stolen, along with his truck and trailer from in front of his house. He was getting ready to leave, and ran back in the house to get his cel phone. He called the cops, but they only came to his house to fill out a report.

He found the truck and trailer later that day a few miles from his house a few yards off the road in the heavy brush. He got the truck out, left the trailer sitting there, and followed the tire tracks from the ATV's. He found a house down a deserted dirt road with all three of the ATV'a sitting out front. I took 2 more calls to the local PD, and overr 2 hours for the cops to show up.

I don't blame Taylor for wanting his Banshee's back, or going looking for them. In south FL, that's the only you'll get them back When he had info on their whereabouts, that's when he screwed up.

05_banshee_wht_4_3172.jpg

Originally posted by "Durel" Green

Again, and I don't mean to come across as the contrarian or argumentative for arguments sake here, but I couldn't disagree with you more strongly. I think you're giving pro football people TOO much credit when you intimate that they are sort of all seeing and all knowing. I think it is highly LIKELY the Skins braintrust didn't see and/or don't care about any number of comments/suggestions/media reports/etc. concerning the player personnel/football side of the equation. I'm making a leap here, but I would be willing to bet the people in charge of those matters at Redskins Park (Gibbs/coaches/staff) are relying on their own sources, professional experience and expertise (and, as often seems to be the case in pro sports and most organizations for that matter, insulated thinking) in these matters rather than rumour and innuendo on fan message boards. That is understandable and expected; however it should also be understandable and expected that when someone goes so horribly wrong as the "Sean Taylor Experience" in Washington, fans like myself are going to wonder whether some important information was missed/ignored/not headed after the fact. I hope you don't really believe it is impossible, or even highly unlikely, that some mistakes were made by the FO in the evaluation of this players character.....do you?:doh:

It would be tough for me to categorize as anything other than a FO apologist anyone who isn't at the very least highly suspect of the character evaluation process done by the Skins pertaining to Taylor based on his career thus far while with the team. Based solely on the merits. Tough words I know, but really....let's cut the sh@t, shall we?

Cut the ****, huh? Okay, let’s.

You’re not a “contrarian,” you’re the same supremely arrogant cookie-cutter armchair general as about a million other supremely arrogant cookie-cutter armchair generals who really and truly believe they have more insight into a particular aspect of the inner workings and processes of an NFL franchise than the people who’ve spent a lifetime IN the business, and achieved success at its highest levels. And no matter how many times you show that belief, or how many times someone tries to point it out to you, you utterly lack the capacity to see it for the ridiculous notion it is.

You have apparently convinced himself that, in this instance, if YOU had just been on the case by god, you’d have put ol’ Sean under the Klieg lights and Perry Mason’d out of him not only a confession to just generally being a bad guy and unworthy of the NFL, but also a prospective confession that, a year into his career, he’d let the money and bling and women and fast life get so into his head that he’d run out and shoot up the house of some dude he believed swiped his ATV.

Get over yourself, man. Unlike you, the Redskins are a professional sports organization (if you ARE actually a major cog in one, of course, forgive me and feel free to correct the error of my ways). They have professional processes in place, run by professionals, just like each of the other 31 NFL teams. Look it up sometime: despite due diligence, players screw up anyway. And no, because a player does sometimes screw up anyway, it does not necessarily mean the team screwed up in their assessment that he was worth the risk they took by drafting him where they did, or that they either willingly or incompetently overlooked important information.

The Redskins conducted NFL-level due diligence, and decided Sean Taylor was worth the pick, and you have NO credible basis upon which to suggest otherwise. Right now, they may be regretting it ... but for someone like yourself—not involved in the process other than to read the papers and scan the message boards—to flat out state that the “fault” is on them and not on the PLAYER where it properly belongs, without anything other than “hey, dude screwed up—they must notta done their homework” to support it, just paints you as having a far higher opinion of their insight than is justified by any reasonable reading of the facts.

That’s not apologizing for the FO—that’s saying that, regardless of how Sean Taylor works out—I’m about a million times more inclined to believe they know their job and do it professionally than I am that YOU know their job better. Sorry it that wounds your ego. I’m guessing you’ll be all right though, you seem to have plenty to spare.

Archived