Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official "All Things Sean Taylor" Thread - (MERGED 34X)

Originally posted by jrockster77

Rod Woodson is one of the best safeties to ever play the game, yes. And if you read my previous post, he was selected #10 overall. Kind of shoots a hole in your theory, huh?

And its not about needing the best safety ever to win a SB; its simply about having the best safety ever on your team. Do you think that Ronnie Lott was an integral part of the 49ers dominance over the years?

Rod Woodson was 10th overall based on his play at CORNERBACK! You are going to have to do better then that Jrockster.:D

When Woodson lost alot of his skills, he went to safety. Kind of proves my point doesn't it Jrockster??!!:D

Ronnie Lott did his damage with the 49ers also at CORNERBACK! You've got to do a better job on your research if your going to debate me jrockster.

Rod Woodson is one of the best all-time cornerbacks!!! That's how he made one of the 50 great all-timers catagories.:notworthy

Ronnie Lott was also a good safety after he had lost alot of his skills too. :notworthy

GIBBS, I will say this- I do understand where you are coming from in your POV. Everything hasn't been perfect by far, and maybe some criticism is warranted. And Gibbs is ready to take the heat. But considering the situation, I think we should let things pan out over the next season before we can say what's needed. We may regret the ST pick, but we don't know yet.

Originally posted by GIBBS LIVES

Fine. Lose them both. Because you don't take a TE with the 6th overall pick either.

You can find Safeties and Tightends in the 3rd round and beyond.

It's done everyday, all of the time.

Premium positions like QB, DE, CB, RB are positions taken in the upper round of the 1st round of the draft.

middlelinebackers, safties, tightends are found in the later rounds of a draft.

Where was Kellen Winslow (senior) found? What round?

EXACTLY!!!!

What options did we have other then the miami players? Roy Williams, no, we had some receivers.

We needed a safety, but i do agree u can get TE in third round (cooley).

The second round pick that the Browns had, turned out to be Sean Jones who was the second highest rated safty in the draft!

The skins could have still had a great safety, as well as help on the D-line too. Minus the drama!!!!!!!!

That is possible, but it isn't what happened. And we have no idea how things would have panned out with your scenario. There are too many variables to speak in absolutes.

It's not irrelevant. I'ts about doing what your suppose to do.

If the skins had traded down and addressed the D-line like they were suppose to, they wouldn't be in this mess! The kid was holding out and ducking Joe Gibbs calls BEFORE this gun thing happened!

And the Redskins felt that drafting the best available player at #5 was the right thing to do. There is no right or wrong thing to do in the draft. Drafting Ryan Leaf was the "right thing to do" in the eyes of the Chargers. And its okay to draft a QB with a high pick, right? :rolleyes:

When you were little jrockster, did you ever do something that you weren't suppose to do and something bad happened? When your parents found out about it jrockster, didn't your parents say, " See..if you had done what I told you to do, this wouldn't have happened?" This is the same thing.

If the skins FO had done what they were suppose to do and pass on Taylor and KW2 and address their areas of need on the D-line and at CB they wouldn't be dealing with this Taylor fiasco now.

You're right! I'm getting on the phone with Dan Snyder right now to get you a direct line to Redskins HQ, so that they can consult with you on every move they make. Because obviously you are 100% clairvoyant. And I'm going to recommend that all the other so-called "experts" that said Taylor and Winslow were worth top 10 picks get fired. Because, I mean, what do they know? I mean, after all, if the Redskins and Browns didn't pick either Winslow or Taylor, they obviously both would have fallen to the 3rd round or lower. :doh:

If his out on bond, I trust rosenhaus enough to get taylor to Redskins park or house arrested. Fighting over your stolen ATV with a gun isnt what I call "clearing my head after my first year of football". Gibbs will probably adopt a No miami workouts policy after this one.

The second round pick that the Browns had, turned out to be Sean Jones who was the second highest rated safty in the draft!

Okay, possibly the second highest rated safety in the draft, but where did he rate overall?!?!? Sean Taylor was rated by many as the #1 overall prospect in the draft.

Rod Woodson was 10th overall based on his play at CORNERBACK! You are going to have to do better then that Jrockster.:D

When Woodson lost alot of his skills, he went to safety. Kind of proves my point doesn't it Jrockster??!!:D

Rod Woodson is one of the best all-time cornerbacks!!! That's how he made one of the 50 great all-timers catagories.:notworthy

Show me a link of the 50 great all-time CBs, and I'll believe you. Woodson played safety his first couple years at Purdue, then switched to CB. And he was drafted to play defensive back, which is what he is listed as. This means he plays all the positions, mostly safety. But hey, regardless of all that, what position was he playing on the only superbowl victory he was a part of?? Nice try, though.

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Top_100_Players/Top%20100%20Players%20-%2099%20Rod%20Woodson.htm

Ronnie Lott did his damage with the 49ers also at CORNERBACK! You've got to do a better job on your research if your going to debate me jrockster.

Ronnie Lott was also a good safety after he had lost alot of his skills too. :notworthy

WRONG! Try again smart guy. Ronnie Lott played safety at USC and played saftey his entire career with the 49ers. And the four SB teams he played on?? Yep, he was a safety. And he's considered the prototype for the safety position.

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Top_100_Players/Top%20100%20Players%20-%2082%20Ronnie%20Lott.htm

Dude, you lost a lot of credibility on that one.

I tried to scan the threads with 700+ posts...but couldn't find this article.

If it should be merged, I trust the mods will do it quickly

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/05/AR2005060500742.html

Redskins' Taylor Posts Bond After Arrest

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, June 5, 2005; 4:48 PM

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor posted bond and was released from police custody at 11:32 Saturday night after surrendering to authorities and being charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, a felony, and one count of simple battery, a misdemeanor, according to police and detention center reports. Accompanied by his lawyer, Fred Maldovan, Taylor paid a bond of $16,500 at the Turner, Gilford and Knight Correctional Facility, a source said, and no arraignment date has been set yet.

Taylor, 22, the fifth overall pick in the 2004 draft, was arrested in connection with an incident that occurred Wednesday night in Miami, where he resides. According to a police report, Taylor and a co-defendant, Charles Caughman, 19, of Baltimore, drove up to a residence in a blue 2005 GMC Yukon Denali truck and Taylor pointed a gun at two individuals he believed had stolen two all-terrain vehicles from him and demanded they be returned. No shots were fired and Taylor and Caughman left the scene before returning 10 minutes later.

At this point, police say Taylor, whom the team lists as 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, exited the vehicle and began assaulting one victim, swinging and missing with a closed fist before a fight ensued. Caughman, who was arrested and charged with aggravated assault on the night of the incident, chased the other victim with a baseball bat before he and Taylor fled the scene, according to the police report. The incident took place less than two miles from Taylor's residence in Miami. Police have not been able to determine if the victims were involved in the theft of Taylor's vehicles.

Taylor's mother, Donna Junor, could not be reached this afternoon, and his father, Pedro, the chief of police in Florida City, has not commented on the matter, referring media calls to Junor.

Police had been trying to question Taylor since the time of the incident, but he did not surrender to them until 10 p.m. Saturday night. Taylor is the only Redskins player skipping the team's voluntary offseason program here, and his absence had already been the cause of concern and disappointment within the organization prior to his arrest. Coach Joe Gibbs has often expressed his dissatisfaction with Taylor's decision to remain in Florida while his teammates trained and practiced at Redskins Park, and the second-year player had not returned numerous calls from Gibbs and his staff. Taylor's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has not returned repeated phone calls, and Moldovan did not return a message left at his office yesterday. The Redskins are making no comment on the most incident beyond the statement they issued late Saturday night, which said: "We have just been made aware of a potential situation in Miami regarding Sean Taylor. The representatives for Taylor are keeping us informed as to the developments of the situation. There is nothing we can add to the process at this time."

Police officials noted in a news release that the team cooperated fully in their investigation. The NFL is making no comment on Taylor at this time, and the league waits until the legal process is complete before fining or suspenging players in these instances.

H-back Chris Cooley, who was Washington's second pick in the 2004 draft, said he hopes this is the last of Taylor's legal problems. "For me it's tough to hear about, because you see the guy on the field and know him in locker room, and he is a good guy," Cooley said. "Lots of guys on the team like him, and I talk to him all the time and know him pretty well, and it's hard to see. You have a different life from when you come in the locker room and when you walk out of there, and you hope people care more about football and doing good things than going out and getting in trouble. I hope it works out for the best for him.

"He has to learn from it. If he doesn't learn from it, then obviously everything will end fast for him; there's no other way if you want to stay in the NFL. Especially now, it seems like to me the league is really trying to keep everyone having a good name and they want the NFL to look like a good, clean organization and they really come down hard on people that make it look bad. He has no choice but to learn from it and not do it again."

After last year's draft, Gibbs spoke at length about the amount of time and resources spent checking into Taylor's makeup and background before selecting him, but the player has been plagued by off-field issues since then. Initial contract negotiations were delayed as Taylor went through a prolonged spell without representation after twice firing his agents before re-hiring Rosenhaus.

Taylor quickly became displeased with the contract worth a minimum of $18 million and a maximum of $40 million based on incentives that he had negotiated under a prior agent, and team officials met with Rosenhaus this spring to hear those concerns, although no alterations were made to that deal. After that meeting Gibbs said he no longer believed Taylor's absence was related to his contract, although Rosenhaus never provided the club with a full explanation for Taylor's reluctance to spent time at Redskins Park this offseason.

Running back Clinton Portis, Taylor's teammate in Washington and at the University of Miami, said repeatedly that his friend needed time away from football and would ultimately report for mandatory training in good shape. Junor, Taylor's mother, said last week that her son has spent a bulk of the offseason at her house and his great grandmother said that Taylor ate dinner at their home Wednesday night before going out, when police say this incident took place.

I realize that everyones already tried and convicted Taylor, and I am just a Redskin, jock sniffing apologist :rolleyes:

However, there are a few things that if I were a lawyer (or played one on TV after sleeping at a Holiday Express last night) would want to at least examine.

1. The police didn't become aware of the incident until "after" investigating a different shooting in a nearby area TWO days later.

2. The accusers of Taylor's crime, are also suspected ATV thefts, and what connection did they have with the other incident. I mean it isn't unheard of for people in trouble to point the finger in another direction (say like a high profile Athlete) to try and get out of trouble, or maybe score some cash.. or lie to get some revenge.

3. Taylor's Dad is a Police Chief, and he studied criminology at the "U"... Even if he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, you would think he understands the law in Florida, and the penalties for carrying a gun...etc...

4. While he has the speeding/ DUI charge (later dropped) no known history of violence or trouble with the law, in his past.

5. We haven't heard Taylors side of the story yet.

Maybe nothing... but maybe ;)

Originally posted by bubba9497 2. The accusers of Taylor's crime, are also suspected ATV thefts, and what connection did they have with the other incident. I mean it isn't unheard of for people in trouble to point the finger in another direction (say like a high profile Athlete) to try and get out of trouble, or maybe score some cash.. or lie to get some revenge.

As far as I've heard, the only one suspecting them was Taylor. What if he was wrong?

3. Taylor's Dad is a Police Chief, and he studied criminology at the "U"... Even if he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, you would think he understands the law in Florida, and the penalties for carrying a gun...etc...

This one means nothing at all.

5. We haven't heard Taylors side of the story yet.

And based on his history, we probably never will.

You are the type of poster who is looking for an out because you can't handle the conversation. There has been only one team to ever win a SB without a GM and that is the Denver Broncos! Shanahan is now even under scrutiny because he hasn't won a playoff game since Elway was there!

The Patriots have a GM. I can't think of his name off the top of my head but I believe it starts with an O. I can just visualize his face.

And I called Snyder "baby Nepoleon" for the way he pushes his will on people when in fact he knows nothing about football. If Snyder were the real redskins fan he claims to be, then he would look at history and see how many teams have won a SB without a GM and then go out and hire a real GM. Snyder isn't a GM. Joe Gibbs (bless his heart) isn't a GM. And in the back of your mind and heart, you know I'm telling the truth.

Excuse ME? Can't handle the conversation? I responded to your accusations and now you are dismissing what I said why? because why? you don't have a reponse maybe?

New England does NOT have a GM. Scott Pioli is Vice President of player personel. Don't believe me?

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=mgersandexecs

That happenes to be the same title of Vinne Cerrato.

What Snyder, Cerrato and scouting staff do is they build the team in the image of the coach, which is what they did for Spurrier in accuiring Coles, Morton, Patrick Johnson, etc - speed, because that's what Spurrier wanted, So Spurrier got it.

Spurrier gave up, so now the team is being built in the image of the current coach, Joe Gibbs.

Joe Gibbs wanted Griffin, Springs, Brunell, Cooley - and he got 'em

Don't tell me what type of poster I am. - You've been proven wrong over and over again, and you can't peddle backwards fast enough, huh Bronco fan?

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

So if someone who has a "regular job" gets convicted of a felony, do they get banned from their profession?

Without reading the entire thread ...to answere your question...YES!!

I have a Government TS clearance, and waiting for my TSSCI/w Poly. If my dumb azz were to go out and commit a felony or even a misdemeanor shoplifting charge, or better yet if my credit is less than desirable. I wil not be granted the clearance, wich I need for my career.

As everyone that lives in the DC Metro area just about 90% of the IT jobs are government contracts. Without my clearance I can't get a job.

Originally posted by scruffylookin

So he's accused of only pointing the weapon but not firing it? Legal experts out there, does that reduce the penalty?

Either way it is still 2 counts of assualt with a weapon, isn't it? I see a plea bargain coming. Hopefully down to the simple battery misdemeaner and a ton of comunity service. I also hope that we the fans, and the Redskins organization, give him another chance to turn himslef around off the field. From what Cooley, Portis, and Gibbs after the draft said, it sounds like he is a good guy. Could just be that he is hanging out with the wrong crowd. Iverson had a turning point a while back and made it a point to stop associating with p[eople that could get him in sticky situations. I am hopeful that Sean can do the same.

And I am glad you gave this it's own thread. I would not have caught it otherwise. Good article.

Originally posted by Bufford

I tried to scan the threads with 700+ posts...but couldn't find this article.

If it should be merged, I trust the mods will do it quickly

Bufford

It nice find, but it got merged anyway. If someone only wants to find & read the news article, then common sense would dictate that they should just check the Breaking News Forum. Right?

Originally posted by CrazyZeb

As far as I've heard, the only one suspecting them was Taylor. What if he was wrong?

You know as much about them as Taylor, yet you argue they maybe innoscent :nono: All reports state the police didn't become aware of the Taylor incident until 2 days later when investigating another shooting and car theft. I have to assume they guys who are accusing Taylor had to be involved someway in the investigation of the second crime.... to me that smells a little fishy

This one means nothing at all.

I disagree, people who have knowledge of certain things, are less likely to do things that can harm them. example an electrictian is less likely to grab a bare wire than some poor smoe who doesn't understand electricity..

And based on his history, we probably never will.

If it goes to court we will, plus there will be friends and family talking to reporters in the days ahead.

Originally posted by MadMonkey

Without reading the entire thread ...to answere your question...YES!!

I have a Government TS clearance, and waiting for my TSSCI/w Poly. If my dumb azz were to go out and commit a felony or even a misdemeanor shoplifting charge, or better yet if my credit is less than desirable. I wil not be granted the clearance, wich I need for my career.

As everyone that lives in the DC Metro area just about 90% of the IT jobs are government contracts. Without my clearance I can't get a job.

actually it depends on the job, but just being arrested in most cases doesn't mean a loss of job... conviction might lose more jobs.... but not all, depends on the job, and the employer.

Originally posted by bubba9497

You know as much about them as Taylor, yet you argue they maybe innoscent :nono: All reports state the police didn't become aware of the Taylor incident until 2 days later when investigating another shooting and car theft. I have to assume they guys who are accusing Taylor had to be involved someway in the investigation of the second crime.... to me that smells a little fishy

Don't wag your finger at me, I did a what if, same as you. Except Taylor's actually been charged, and they haven't.

I disagree, people who have knowledge of certain things, are less likely to do things that can harm them. example an electrictian is less likely to grab a bare wire than some poor smoe who doesn't understand electricity..

Come on bubba, I'm losing faith in you with this line of reasoning.

Archived