Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official "All Things Sean Taylor" Thread - (MERGED 34X)

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

Try following 34 threads.

TK, Sorry again for adding to your frustration by starting that thread about florida's 10-20-Life. In the future I will be more considerate of the problems these major stories cause you guys and will not add new threads to an already overly expressed story.

Originally posted by Om

Cut the ****, huh? Okay, let’s.

You’re not a “contrarian,” you’re the same supremely arrogant cookie-cutter armchair general as about a million other supremely arrogant cookie-cutter armchair generals who really and truly believe they have more insight into a particular aspect of the inner workings and processes of an NFL franchise than the people who’ve spent a lifetime IN the business, and achieved success at its highest levels. And no matter how many times you show that belief, or how many times someone tries to point it out to you, you utterly lack the capacity to see it for the ridiculous notion it is.

You have apparently convinced himself that, in this instance, if YOU had just been on the case by god, you’d have put ol’ Sean under the Klieg lights and Perry Mason’d out of him not only a confession to just generally being a bad guy and unworthy of the NFL, but also a prospective confession that, a year into his career, he’d let the money and bling and women and fast life get so into his head that he’d run out and shoot up the house of some dude he believed swiped his ATV.

Get over yourself, man. Unlike you, the Redskins are a professional sports organization (if you ARE actually a major cog in one, of course, forgive me and feel free to correct the error of my ways). They have professional processes in place, run by professionals, just like each of the other 31 NFL teams. Look it up sometime: despite due diligence, players screw up anyway. And no, because a player does sometimes screw up anyway, it does not necessarily mean the team screwed up in their assessment that he was worth the risk they took by drafting him where they did, or that they either willingly or incompetently overlooked important information.

The Redskins conducted NFL-level due diligence, and decided Sean Taylor was worth the pick, and you have NO credible basis upon which to suggest otherwise. Right now, they may be regretting it ... but for someone like yourself—not involved in the process other than to read the papers and scan the message boards—to flat out state that the “fault” is on them and not on the PLAYER where it properly belongs, without anything other than “hey, dude screwed up—they must notta done their homework” to support it, just paints you as having a far higher opinion of their insight than is justified by any reasonable reading of the facts.

That’s not apologizing for the FO—that’s saying that, regardless of how Sean Taylor works out—I’m about a million times more inclined to believe they know their job and do it professionally than I am that YOU know their job better. Sorry it that wounds your ego. I’m guessing you’ll be all right though, you seem to have plenty to spare.

:notworthy

Originally posted by authentic

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, June 5, 2005; 4:48 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/05/AR2005060500742.html

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor posted bond and was released from police custody at 11:32 Saturday night after surrendering to authorities and being charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, a felony, and one count of simple battery, a misdemeanor, according to police and detention center reports. Accompanied by his lawyer, Fred Maldovan, Taylor paid a bond of $16,500 at the Turner, Gilford and Knight Correctional Facility, a source said, and no arraignment date has been set yet.

Taylor, 22, the fifth overall pick in the 2004 draft, was arrested in connection with an incident that occurred Wednesday night in Miami, where he resides. According to a police report, Taylor and a co-defendant, Charles Caughman, 19, of Baltimore, drove up to a residence in a blue 2005 GMC Yukon Denali truck and Taylor pointed a gun at two individuals he believed had stolen two all-terrain vehicles from him and demanded they be returned. No shots were fired and Taylor and Caughman left the scene before returning 10 minutes later.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor posts bond and is released from custody in Miami after being arrested Saturday.

Taylor reportedly is charged with one count of aggravated assault and one count of simple battery stemming from an incident in Miami.

Taylor sought by Miami police as a "person of interest" in an assault case.

At this point, police say Taylor, whom the team lists as 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, exited the vehicle and began assaulting one victim, swinging and missing with a closed fist before a fight ensued. Caughman, who was arrested and charged with aggravated assault on the night of the incident, chased the other victim with a baseball bat before he and Taylor fled the scene, according to the police report. The incident took place less than two miles from Taylor's residence in Miami. Police have not been able to determine if the victims were involved in the theft of Taylor's vehicles.

Taylor's mother, Donna Junor, could not be reached this afternoon, and his father, Pedro, the chief of police in Florida City, has not commented on the matter, referring media calls to Junor.

Police had been trying to question Taylor since the time of the incident, but he did not surrender to them until 10 p.m. Saturday night. Taylor is the only Redskins player skipping the team's voluntary offseason program here, and his absence had already been the cause of concern and disappointment within the organization prior to his arrest. Coach Joe Gibbs has often expressed his dissatisfaction with Taylor's decision to remain in Florida while his teammates trained and practiced at Redskins Park, and the second-year player had not returned numerous calls from Gibbs and his staff. Taylor's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has not returned repeated phone calls, and Moldovan did not return a message left at his office yesterday. The Redskins are making no comment on the most incident beyond the statement they issued late Saturday night, which said: "We have just been made aware of a potential situation in Miami regarding Sean Taylor. The representatives for Taylor are keeping us informed as to the developments of the situation. There is nothing we can add to the process at this time."

Police officials noted in a news release that the team cooperated fully in their investigation. The NFL is making no comment on Taylor at this time, and the league waits until the legal process is complete before fining or suspenging players in these instances.

H-back Chris Cooley, who was Washington's second pick in the 2004 draft, said he hopes this is the last of Taylor's legal problems. "For me it's tough to hear about, because you see the guy on the field and know him in locker room, and he is a good guy," Cooley said. "Lots of guys on the team like him, and I talk to him all the time and know him pretty well, and it's hard to see. You have a different life from when you come in the locker room and when you walk out of there, and you hope people care more about football and doing good things than going out and getting in trouble. I hope it works out for the best for him.

"He has to learn from it. If he doesn't learn from it, then obviously everything will end fast for him; there's no other way if you want to stay in the NFL. Especially now, it seems like to me the league is really trying to keep everyone having a good name and they want the NFL to look like a good, clean organization and they really come down hard on people that make it look bad. He has no choice but to learn from it and not do it again."

After last year's draft, Gibbs spoke at length about the amount of time and resources spent checking into Taylor's makeup and background before selecting him, but the player has been plagued by off-field issues since then. Initial contract negotiations were delayed as Taylor went through a prolonged spell without representation after twice firing his agents before re-hiring Rosenhaus.

Taylor quickly became displeased with the contract worth a minimum of $18 million and a maximum of $40 million based on incentives that he had negotiated under a prior agent, and team officials met with Rosenhaus this spring to hear those concerns, although no alterations were made to that deal. After that meeting Gibbs said he no longer believed Taylor's absence was related to his contract, although Rosenhaus never provided the club with a full explanation for Taylor's reluctance to spent time at Redskins Park this offseason.

Running back Clinton Portis, Taylor's teammate in Washington and at the University of Miami, said repeatedly that his friend needed time away from football and would ultimately report for mandatory training in good shape. Junor, Taylor's mother, said last week that her son has spent a bulk of the offseason at her house and his great grandmother said that Taylor ate dinner at their home Wednesday night before going out, when police say this incident took place.

:doh: I don't know what to think anymore about this kid. I love watching him on the field. But this kind of behavior is simply ridiculous. Part of me says that somewhere along the line, we need to just cut our losses with him & the other part of me feels like "we can save this kid" kinda thinkin'. Y'know? I just don't know what to think. I guess all we can do is take it day by day & be realistic, whilest staying optimistic. :logo:

If Taylor had been in DC working out with the team this wouldn't have happened :rolleyes:

So this is what Taylor considers to be 'getting away from the pressure and stress' of playing football in the NFL? :laugh:

The last thing this team needs after a bruising 6-10 record last year is another Jamal Lewis trial and offseason from one of its players........................

If these charges are for real and are borne out, this is going to stick as a storyline for much of the 2005 season while Taylor is processed through the criminal justice system.

Pre-trial hearings, etc........assuming this thing goes to trial.......the Redskins will be lucky if this doesn't drag out until NEXT offseason........................

Just look at the Ravens and Lewis. The guy made a phone call 4 years ago!

Taylor is young and obviously lacking any emotional intelligence.

You flip off your head coach and your teammates because YOU negotiated a bad deal and then risk playing in 2005 and beyond because you had to brandish a firearm at somebody who stole a ****ing ATV?

Somebody in his family or his agent should have told him that as a star athlete people are going to be looking to get you in just this kind of situation.

Taylor got sucked into something really stupid.

So, instead of getting an arrogant klutz in Kellen Winslow, we end up with a guy that while talented seems more intent on acting like a local street boss..................... :mad:

Originally posted by whitejimmy

I know the Mods have been through heck of late, and us Redskins are fortunate enough not to have to deal with criminal situations like this all the time, but in the future, when a huge story breaks, you might consider allowing for several different posts on a major topic instead of a super duper post. Like: What should the redskins do about ST? what should the NFL do? What are the facts? What is the likely sentence if found guilty? Trying to follow 70 pages of posts is crazy.

Just a suggestion. :)

:doh: :doh:

Like we would WANT 37 Sean Taylor threads cluttering up the Board all the time. Think about this stuff before you post. :hammer:

;)

OTAs, ATVs And an APB

By Tony Kornheiser

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/05/AR2005060501218_pf.html

Wouldn't it have been a hoot if the one phone call they let Sean Taylor make from jail was to Joe Gibbs!

"Hello, Coach? It's Sean."

"Sean, great to hear from you. It's been a long time. Where are you?"

"I've been arrested."

"What's that? You're well-rested? I'll bet you are, missing all our OTAs."

"Coach, I'm in jail."

"Sean, hold a minute, son. This telephone connection is terrible. It sounded like you said you were in jail! I've heard about every excuse in the book from players not wanting to report to minicamp. But jail? Hahaha. Sean, stop, you're killing me."

No, Joe, not you .

I know everybody in America is innocent until proven guilty, and blah, blah, blah. But at what point does somebody in a position of authority with the Redskins look at the volatile history of Mr. Taylor's tenure here and ask, "Are we sure we want this guy?" I mean, what will Drew Rosenhaus want in the next contract, a provision for bail money?

As the story goes, Sean Taylor pulled a gun on some people who allegedly stole two all-terrain vehicles from him. Now you might want to ask: What exactly is Mr. Taylor doing with two ATVs? Is he going into the alligator-tracking business? More importantly, though, what exactly is Mr. Taylor doing with a gun? Or does that come with the scholarship at The U?

On the other hand, an ATV has at least three wheels, and sometimes four. If Mr. Taylor's college teammate at The U, Kellen Winslow Jr., had been tooling around on one of Mr. Taylor's ATVs instead of that motorcycle, he might be playing for the Browns this season.

Ah, but I digress. This is a cool week for sports in Washington. Both the PGA Tour and Mike Tyson are coming to town. And in neither case would you want to get in the way of the one that's driving.

The Booz Allen is being played at Congressional, which, coincidentally, was once the site of one of Mr. Tyson's homes. Tyson lived off the sixth fairway, and reportedly housed lions and tigers on his property. I suppose if you hit an errant drive on No. 6, which nestled near Tyson's house, the prudent play was to let it lie there, go back to the tee and hit 3. Of course, you could send your caddie after the ball, providing he had a chair and a whip.

As we learn, sadly, every year, Tyson's tiger would have been the only tiger we'd see at Congressional. Tiger Woods ain't coming. Again. Every year, a month or so out, somebody floats the story how Tiger Woods "might" play. But much closer to the tournament there's a concession that Tiger, in fact, won't play. It always smells like a ruse to sell tickets, because everyone knows Tiger doesn't play the week before a major, and the Booz Allen is the week before the U.S. Open.

But all the other great players are coming. Phil, Ernie, Vijay and Retief will play. As will defending champion Adam Scott, now ranked No. 6 in the world, and the late, great Bear Bryant, who yesterday won the Memorial. Oops, not Bear, Bart; and sorry, he's not entered. Largely because at the tournament is at Congressional and not TPC at Avenel -- which a lot of pros consider the Biscayne Kennel Club of the PGA Tour -- it's a world-class field even without Tiger Woods.

The same can't be said about the Tyson fight. Tyson's opponent is Mr. Kevin McBride, who really could be anybody. He could be your next door neighbor. I suppose he's ranked, but by whom? The WBA? The WBC? The WBO? HBO? REM? Hall and Oates? I've never heard of Mr. McBride. Have you?

The excitement in this Tyson fight isn't so much about who will win -- because if McBride wins, Tyson may as well go to work in a deli. How great would that be, to have Mike Tyson ask you, "You want that Swiss cheese sliced or shaved?" These days, the excitement is about: 1) whether Tyson will actually show up and fight; 2) what progress has he made on that face tattoo? Is it still only on one side of his face, or is it circumnavigating his entire head? and 3) will he eat any of Mr. McBride's body parts during the fight?

A guy I know wants to buy a ticket to the fight, real close up, inside the first five rows. Yesterday he told me he's willing to spend $1,000 on such a ticket on the grounds that this is the legendary Mike Tyson fighting in Washington, and that's worth spending for.

"Does it matter that he's fighting Kevin McBride?" I asked.

"Doesn't matter if he's fighting Kevin Bacon."

Whoa! That one I'd pay to see.

Lord I am burned out on this stuff. Sat here the bulk of the day and have watched some stuff that I never thought I'd see. And pretty much postless. All I can say is that the season can't come fast enough, ( keeping in mind that even then things aren't safe).

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Lord I am burned out on this stuff. Sat here the bulk of the day and have watched some stuff that I never thought I'd see. And pretty much postless. All I can say is that the season can't come fast enough, ( keeping in mind that even then things aren't safe).

you said it.

It is, however, oddly fascinating in a train wreck sort of way... :)

Originally posted by Park City Skins

well just think, tomorrow the "It's Snyder's fault" and "Gibbs is too Old" articles will start coming out.

we've already had the Miss Cleo's in this thread that knew we shouldn't have drafted him.;)

Relax CowboyzSuckAzz, I was just suggesting the topic should be broken into 4 or 5 threads, like the examples provided, instead of one massive one, or 34 threads. It was just a suggestion.

Everyone is pissed that our beloved franchise is getting smeared by the antics of ST. Let's back off from the name calling and what-not ("arrogant contrarian" blah blah blah).

Attack the opinion, not the person...

It started out that way, then things seem to have gone down hill in many ways. How the mods managed to actually keep things under control I'll never know. Especially themselves. I watched alot of the 34 threads get posted then merged. More specifically, watched the announcement get posted, watched the merge thread never linger below the top 10 threads, ( maybe even top 5), and saw additional threads pop up right ontop of the official merge thread and just below the announcement, (whitejimmy, there is a thread already dealing with what the Skins should do. And without even trying there are alot of posts with articles that deal in the facts in the case so far right here. And the other stuff as well. Know it's tough maybe to weed through it, but if your read the announcement that kind of explains things. Maybe a search with results as posts would help).

MHO, the thread, at times, became the train wreck we were watching.

Time to shut this one down---it's way too unwieldly at this point.

Hopefully, a few of you got the message however. :)

It's okay to post other Taylor threads, but please, take the time to appreciate why we handled this like we did, and to look at the board before posting new Tylor-related threads.

Thanks.

Originally posted by miragv

This guy could be the best NFL player in a couple of years....and you dont have to be a goody-too-shoes to make that happen.

So what if he fired shots into the house of someone who stole his car....he just has the balls to do what we all would want to do to someone who stole our cars.

So what if he gets drunk or smokes, many people his age do...i am positive people on this board do as well.....NFL players dont have to live up to higher standards than we do.

I dont like the holding out for a new contract business but I understand where he is comming from.

Congradulations!

Your completely idiotic and senseless comments have just earned you a spot on my ignore list.

Archived