Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trader's Corner: Forex-Currencies, Commodities, & Futures Trading Discussions

TheShredder

Welcome to the Trader's Corner! 

As I searched for prior threads about Trading, I couldn't find any such threads and decided to start one for those of us that are into Trading and Football.  This offers a place to discuss trading.  

I'm a full-time Day Trader.  Semi-Retired at 48 yrs. old and left the USA to live in Bangkok, Thailand going on 5 yrs now.  I trade Forex, Currencies, Commodities (Gold, Silver) primarily.  Most people who try to trade these markets fail, with about 80% of people losing their accounts.  These are the highest liquid markets in the world and with high volatility.  The markets are highly manipulated and I can trade it with success +65% profitability.   My strategies have developed from many different sources, information, and sifting through educational materials, courses, etc.  Of all the information I came across, I found that there was no #1 trading system that could guarantee profitable trading as a method.  I was forced to struggle and investigate what worked and didn't work.  I worked for the Dept. of State as a Professional Over-seas Contractor in the Defense industry and have a Tactical-Medical background.  I was fortunate enough to meet many interesting people with my travels around the world several times during this time.  I managed to get some information that's served me well in my trading career aspirations.  It took me about 2 years of work to become a consistently profitable day trader.  Enough to be capable of counting on my trading to achieve my monthly goals.  It's the hardest thing I've ever done!   

Are there other Traders on ES?  If so, please share your experience or interest and engage in some conversations without limitations!  

Cheers!  

TradingAndFootball.jpg

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

Traded a cupcake with my kid for half his ice cream tonight... sucker

Oh yea, tell me how you do it and I'm in!

Kids are tricky little Pro Negotiators!  

There's quiet a bit that goes into how I make a trade, so that's a rather lengthy discussion.  Are you or have you ever traded before?  

It takes quiet a bit of learning about #1 How the markets work, then #1 What not to do, before getting to learn what a successful trade looks like.  My perspective is that the first thing you need to truly understand is Trading Psychology.  Mark Douglas was one of the best educators on Trading Psychology.  He had put together a video series called 'Trading Psychology' that was a follow up to his book 'Trading in the Zone'.   If you are just getting into Trading, you start there!  I'm happy to share these materials to whomever PM's me.  

Someone’s gonna come in here and tell you to invest in only index funds.

Me, I got royally ****ed with ETF’s at the beginning of the year and haven’t bothered giving it another go yet.  It was fun watching 80% of my portfolio (the play one) disappear after hours with little I could donto stop it.  A real ****ing blast.

Most important book and the #1 thing you must understand for any trader is Trading in the Zone.  

This isn't a beginners book nor is it a Pro Traders Manual.  It assumes you understand basic concepts about trading and goes into how the mind must be trained to overcome the markets.   I'll share my copy.  

Note:  There's a Quiz at the back that you should answer before you start reading it, as you'll change your mind about your answers while reading and understanding the material.  

Mark Douglas - Trading in the Zone (complete and formatted).pdf

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Me, I got royally ****ed with ETF’s at the beginning of the year and haven’t bothered giving it another go yet.  It was fun watching 80% of my portfolio (the play one) disappear after hours with little I could donto stop it.  A real ****ing blast.

Yeah that's the problem that 80% of people have...they jump in risking their money without having any clue how the markets are manipulated, how all the information is created to take your money, and what the psychological connections are...You're not alone brother!  

3 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

For whatever reason. Your post reminded me of this...I'm old...

I totally remember that commercial... actually the way the Dynamic Traders manipulate the entire financial system is known by a small percentage of the world. 

The brokers that work for Merril Lynch, JP Morgan, Bank of America, etc. train their Associate Brokers as Sales People with a goal to get a new account to deposit as much as possible and that they only have 60 days to get their accounts before they'll leave.  This system goes pretty deep and works like a charm with all the media controlled by these bankers.  

The difference is when you know what they're doing, you can trade that BS!!  :rofl89:

Got some PM's about how I make money Day Trading.  Like I said above, imo and experience trading is 80% Psychological and I posted a copy of my favorite book on the subject that you can have a copy of in a .pdf.  My trading methodology starts with evaluating the annual charts.  I go back +5 yrs of chart evaluations on every pair that I trade.  Yeah it's a lot of work to do that, but there's no exceptions to my method.  Here's an example of my +5 yr price action chart for Gold.  There's good reason why you do this and I use this as an anchor for each year to establish directional movements for the year.  I only counter trend trade in the direction of the annual trend.  So, to make a Day Trade, you have to know what's going on for the last +5 yrs and that's where I start.  As anyone who would view my annual price action charting, I've only been selling Gold all year.  1621624802_GoldAnnual.thumb.png.0c98f7f65aa7705daf366db6be3689a4.png

I just started teaching myself very basic investment information. I've also started a second Master's (MBA) and I'm currently taking a finance class for it. I tend to stick to index funds, have dabbled a bit with individual stocks but nothing with options; don't know enough about the options side to put real money into it but I'm trying to follow it.

I find it pretty interesting actually.

1 minute ago, Epochalypse said:

I just started teaching myself very basic investment information. I've also started a second Master's (MBA) and I'm currently taking a finance class for it. I tend to stick to index funds, have dabbled a bit with individual stocks but nothing with options; don't know enough about the options side to put real money into it but I'm trying to follow it.

I find it pretty interesting actually.

My view on trading is that there are two types of traders.  An investor..which is Index Funds/Stocks.  You're investing when you trade them and though the fund or stock may instantly go up or down after you trade, this change doesn't settle in your account immediately.  Therefor you're an investor.  A Speculator is someone like myself who's account is instantly and progressively settled after the trade is made.  The instance a Speculator makes a trading transaction someone is going to be a winner and someone is going to be a loser...this is a continuous process over a course of micro-seconds.  This happens with the high frequency trading bots that run in the world markets.  As a day trader I want highly volatile and liquidity markets.  I believe there's two different types of trading worlds here.  

1 minute ago, Epochalypse said:

Agree. I am absolutely an investor.

Both types of Traders have to achieve a high level of accurate analysis which is the foundation for which formulates their strategy for executing their edge over the market.  I think there's plenty of Technical Analysis that is shared and common with both types of trading.  I'm not involved any further in Prospectus Analysis as I am not an investor.  However, the Chart TA side is common ground. 

8 hours ago, Springfield said:

"Someone"? I'm hurt. :)

Seriously, though, this thread is advocating picking up nickels in front of a steamroller. Good luck with that.

And really, far be it from me to attempt to give investing advice to someone who believes that markets are being secretly manipulated under the noses of a free press and all of the world's financial academics who have no incentive to hide such a system and every incentive to expose it.

That's not a viewpoint I'm going to waste my time engaging. (Have I matured?)

Interested parties can always use Google to search "index funds site: es.redskins.com" I'm pretty sure my thoughts on investing are there somewhere or other. 

1 hour ago, techboy said:

"Someone"? I'm hurt. :)

Seriously, though, this thread is advocating picking up nickels in front of a steamroller. Good luck with that.

And really, far be it from me to attempt to give investing advice to someone who believes that markets are being secretly manipulated under the noses of a free press and all of the world's financial academics who have no incentive to hide such a system and every incentive to expose it.

That's not a viewpoint I'm going to waste my time engaging. (Have I matured?)

Interested parties can always use Google to search "index funds site: es.redskins.com" I'm pretty sure my thoughts on investing are there somewhere or other. 

That's not what I'm advocating at all.  Using your analogy I'd be advocating being pulled along with the steam roller.  

As for the 'Free Press', I don't know what planet you've been on for the last decade but there's no such thing and that's an old myth. 

I have nothing in my trading strategy that would keep me from applying it towards long term investments in the Indices. 

Your negativity towards everything I've posted shows your bias and that's fine.  Don't put words in my mouth or take time to criticize with stated inaccuracy. To each their own.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  

10 hours ago, Springfield said:

Which etf is down 80 percent ytd?  Goodness

It is easy to "make" money day trading when economies are doing well (like in the last 2 years).  I knew several of people that crowed about how much money they made day trading during the mid to late-1990s (and this is when on-line trading was all pretty new).  They made money doing it until they didn't.

8 minutes ago, zoony said:

Which etf is down 80 percent ytd?  Goodness

SVXY

and

VMIN

Both made me a bunch of money.  All up until they lost it all and a whole lot more.  On the right side, I can write off the loss on this year’s taxes.  You live and you learn.

3 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

VIX

Its funny, because both of the funds I posted above hold short VIX positions.  All it took was one bad day to erase it.

32 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Naomi Osaka +1.5 sets. Emotionally hedging against a Serena finals letdown.

Okay, sure, you CAN approach it that way, but you'd be much better off with a broadly diversified, low cost portfolio, over a period of many tournaments. Player picking is a suboptimal approach.

Just watch ALL the players. You'll still get to enjoy the best matches, but the only cost is the electricity for your television.

I'm on my phone right now, but when I get home I'll post 75 links to top experts in the field with relevant excerpts.

On 9/7/2018 at 8:53 PM, TheShredder said:

Kids are tricky little Pro Negotiators!  

There's quiet a bit that goes into how I make a trade, so that's a rather lengthy discussion.  Are you or have you ever traded before?  

It takes quiet a bit of learning about #1 How the markets work, then #1 What not to do, before getting to learn what a successful trade looks like.  My perspective is that the first thing you need to truly understand is Trading Psychology.  Mark Douglas was one of the best educators on Trading Psychology.  He had put together a video series called 'Trading Psychology' that was a follow up to his book 'Trading in the Zone'.   If you are just getting into Trading, you start there!  I'm happy to share these materials to whomever PM's me.  

Never traded and simply max out my retirement contributions each year. Will start with the basics, thanks. If I had to guess, its time to start buying gold soon based on your chart (i'm just kidding kind of)

Archived