Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: Dying at your desk is not a retirement plan

hail2skins

2 hours ago, tshile said:

No I said I get nothing and I have to pay for theirs. 

The and is a key part 

We already went over this in the other thread. You don’t see it my way and I don’t see it yours. 

But don’t mistate my opinions when I’ve already posted them. 

right now, most poor and lower-middle-class don'y get anything (directly) for subsidies that are targeted towards college attendance...  but they pay for it, along with all of us.  Under the Bernie plan, it would be even more so.

it is a direct transfer from the less well-off to the better-off.  

2 hours ago, dchogs said:

i don't think anyone is saying to make Duke or Stanford not cost anyone anything.  if we make community colleges free nationwide, the lower and middle classes will have access to the low-cost education that they need; and, the upper classes that send their kids directly to liberal arts schools or expensive public options (out of state), keep paying what they're paying. 

society pays for the upward mobility of education for the middle and lower classes, and the rich gets theirs.

i think SOME people are certainly saying  just that... (and ... how much does Oxford or Cambridge cost Brit citizens?)

but i would totally be on board specifically subsidizing Community Colleges more... and they are already subsidized a LOT

(it would AWESOME if the people that are currently targeted by the predatory for-profit-college-education-industry-complex were better steered to the CCs... that could really actually help them advance up the ladder)

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

As always.  The debate hinges on what the definition of “the rich” is and who gets to determine that. 

true indeed......

but it never has to be a binary choice, or a steep cliff.   Ideally it would be a graduated phase-out, or else it would generate really crappy perverse incentives.   

pulling numbers out of my ass.... starts to phase out at 50 or 60 k ... completely phases out at 250- 300 k or so (somewhere close to where Roth IRAs phase out?)

and even the amount for under 50k should have SOME sort of skin in the game requirement   (perhaps sometimes something non-financial. like the way Habitat for Humanity recipients are required to put "volunteer hours" of sweat equity into their future houses before they become eligible to move into a house)

11 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

i think SOME people are certainly saying  just that... (and ... how much does Oxford or Cambridge cost Brit citizens?)

but i would totally be on board specifically subsidizing Community Colleges more... and they are already subsidized a LOT

(it would AWESOME if the people that are currently targeted by the predatory for-profit-college-education-industry-complex were better steered to the CCs... that could really actually help them advance up the ladder)

I'm not a jerk, but the only way some of these CCs could be subsidized more is by making them free. I took a couple classes over summers at NOVA and think I spent $150 per credit. That's about as close to free as you can get...

Need a better name though. "Community College" has an undeserved stigma nowadays of "not serious, not smart enough" when that's hardly the case in many suburbs across America. No offense to anyone who attends/attended but see the difference between College of Southern Illinois vs College of Northern Virginia vs Northern Virginia Community College? MoCoCoCo, Columbia in MD have pretty nice facilities too. 

18 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Need a better name though. "Community College" has an undeserved stigma nowadays of "not serious, not smart enough" when that's hardly the case in many suburbs across America. No offense to anyone who attends/attended but see the difference between College of Southern Illinois vs College of Northern Virginia vs Northern Virginia Community College? MoCoCoCo, Columbia in MD have pretty nice facilities too. 

That's fine - but that's all in the marketing and branding. It's also probably incumbent on the institutions themselves to establish relationships with high schools so that they begin to become a realistic option for students. As you mentioned, when I was in high school that was considered the fallback of all fallback plans. That perception would need to change. 

57 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I think the one here was just named in the top three in the nation....we call it Harvard on the Highway :headbang:

First step in saving is not spending.   One item I think people waste alot of money is on cars.  Personally I think if you can't afford to pay cash for the car, you can't afford it.   Buy used.  Unlike houses(who at least hold value) and eduation (which has an ROI, at least most of the time), cars decline in value.  Yes there are some exceptions to the rule.  But people having these $400/month car payments is IMO one of the biggest scams. 

5 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

First step in saving is not spending.   One item I think people waste alot of money is on cars.  Personally I think if you can't afford to pay cash for the car, you can't afford it.   Buy used.  Unlike houses(who at least hold value) and eduation (which has an ROI, at least most of the time), cars decline in value.  Yes there are some exceptions to the rule.  But people having these $400/month car payments is IMO one of the biggest scams. 

Companies have gotten a lot smarter when it comes to pricing to the detriment of the consumer.

Car companies saw that most consumers really just factor monthly payment vs total cost. So 36 month repayment are stretched out to 60 months—driven in big part that they realized that financing was another big source of revenue for the dealership. 

Then they double dip by pushing people who can't afford new cars to leases for lower monthly payments, THEN reselling those cars as "certified pre-owned". 

There really isn't a new car you pay cash for nowadays. Nissan Versa is the lowest MSRP car at $12K—vast majority of people don't have that saved up in cash. 

The good thing is that the manufacturing has gotten so much better than you can buy many cars that have 75K miles or greater that still have a lot of life left in them. Even if you have to make a $2500 repair on a car you paid $15K (used), it's still waay less than that car new. 

agreed.... i have only ever paid cash for cars...even when i only made $13k as a graduate assistant.   And i have actually never sold a car...except for scrap :P, and i have never bought a new car in my life.   I drive them until they dissolve into rust smears on the highway   

(But i also don't really get excited by cars... so <shrug>)   

2 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

(But i also don't really get excited by cars... so <shrug>)   

thought I was the only one—I think my car wishlist was accomplished 3 years ago when I got leather seats (because easy to clean kid messes off of than fabric) and heated seats for the winter. 

Wait, I still don't have heated side mirrors. Damn. 

I think my favorite vehicle of ours was still the Honda Odyssey. If it had AWD, it might've been perfect. 

my Odyssey lost mucho favor when the transmission blew up 300 miles into a family drive to Florida...   like i said, i have only ever sold cars as scrap... but that  scrap-sale was a bit more of a pain in the ass than most  (as was buying a "new" used minivan on the spot, with basically no choice nor research....)

all of my other cars but one have been mercifully totalled in accidents (all of which were the faults of other drivers!)

my favorite car ever was my 1995 Camry... that NOTHING wore out on.  EVER.  It got totalled around 2012 or so.... and i can't remember ever spending ANY money on it, except oil changes and the occasional timing belt or transmission flush when i felt guilty never spending money on it.    my concept of the perfect dream car.    

I've never cared much about cars either...I like them to have the things I want, but I'd much rather drive a car for 150K miles so that I can pay it off than lease a different new car every couple of years. I'd also prefer to spend on a house over a car. 

I also think a hidden place we spend way too much money is food. That's my pitfall at least. I've recently gotten better about preparing meals and eating in, but I think I blow my groceries/restaurant budget by a lot every month. 

I have no pension. I do not have a matching 401k plan at work. I doubt SS will be there for me in 17 years, even though I have worked since I was 15. 

I cant "save" money bc I live mostly pay check to pay check. I have started paying down the principle on my mortgage above what my monthly payment is. 

Im never going to retire. I will die at my desk. 

Watching state and federal employees retire and live fat pisses me off. I have an uncle in law who is a US marshall. He gets a military monthly pension, some how gets disability pay every month plus his salary of over 150k as a marshall. He collects overtime just sitting at his house "on call". 

Hes going to get to close to 200k a year once he fully retires. Its BS. 

Dont go to law school or med school or dental school etc. 

Just go be a cop or a fire fighter or a federal employee secretary making over 80k a year. Roll over your vacation days. Your last 3 years on job, make sure you get inflated over time so your pension is a booming!

makes me so mad. public vs private sector. private sector we have to scrap, scratch and fight for every little thing. We sit on our ass? we get fired. 

34 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

i don;t think you know what public sector pensions/benefits look like.... 

I do. And the look exactly like what he describes. Though I happen to think the person mostly deserved it, but it’s a little much. He traded years off his life for that job, and it certainly could have been worse. 

Just now, tshile said:

Yeah but you make all that money so it’s not like it maters

I mean, I'm not doing so well that a $2,500/month post-tax payment doesn't suck balls.  I'm also pouring money into the loan that should be going to retirement so I can retire at 55. 

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I mean, I'm not doing so well that a $2,500/month post-tax payment doesn't suck balls.  I'm also pouring money into the loan that should be going to retirement so I can retire at 55. 

I was just teasing you

;)

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Watching state and federal employees retire and live fat pisses me off. I have an uncle in law who is a US marshall. He gets a military monthly pension, some how gets disability pay every month plus his salary of over 150k as a marshall. He collects overtime just sitting at his house "on call". 

Its pretty damn disgusting, i agree.  I have two retired miami police officers who have a combined pension of $240k that live across the street.  And youre probably better off not knowing anything about retired firefighters in california.  That would make you mental

5 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Companies have gotten a lot smarter when it comes to pricing to the detriment of the consumer.

Car companies saw that most consumers really just factor monthly payment vs total cost. So 36 month repayment are stretched out to 60 months—driven in big part that they realized that financing was another big source of revenue for the dealership. 

Then they double dip by pushing people who can't afford new cars to leases for lower monthly payments, THEN reselling those cars as "certified pre-owned". 

There really isn't a new car you pay cash for nowadays. Nissan Versa is the lowest MSRP car at $12K—vast majority of people don't have that saved up in cash. 

The good thing is that the manufacturing has gotten so much better than you can buy many cars that have 75K miles or greater that still have a lot of life left in them. Even if you have to make a $2500 repair on a car you paid $15K (used), it's still waay less than that car new. 

You should be able to get something that will run, for at least a year with $2k.  Yes I realize there are people who can't even afford that and absolutely need a car for work/life so need to take out a loan, but taking out a $25k loan so you can afford that Jeep Grand Cherokee or whatever is foolish.

I got my 2007 Hyundai Sonata used for $8k, with 66k miles on it 2.5 years ago.  It hasn't needed any real major repairs, though I have gotten new tires and a new battery since then, I consider that pretty typical maintenance.   I don't consider myself rich, but could buy a new car with cash, but it makes no sense beyond vanity.

Archived