Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Salary cap and roster implications of the 2018 Redskins draft

carex

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wonder if there's any LGs out there we could trade for. 

For me it feels a little bit like our front office/coaching staff doesn't see the position as such an immediate need as the fan base. We didn't really go after any free agents and in the draft we also passed on a couple of options. Maybe they are excited about the development of one of the young guys or believe in a smooth transition for Ty Nsekhe.

Personally, I would also prefer a rather well-proven option, but you have to take a couple of gambles I guess. For me it feels more like they are willing to do that with the LG position. Can't really see them trading for one.

3 hours ago, Rocky52Mc said:

I guess I'm just not sure what you're implying by cutting Clemmings. He's on the roster, there's plenty of room for the rookie deals, so why are you trying to save Dan's money this year? Clemmings is more valuable on the roster than off of it considering what we have. 

saved money now can be rolled over to next year.  And he's not that great really

41 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wonder if there's any LGs out there we could trade for. 

That's one permutation I don't think many of us have considered in much depth - The Eagles only had a few picks this draft because they traded them for veterans, but they've had decent production out of most of their trades and they currently sitting there as Superbowl champs (Vomit).

We are almost certain to have 11 picks in next years draft - I wouldn't mind giving one up for the right player. Would fill the void and we'd still be in great shape for the draft with plenty of capital.

I don't normally like trading for players as we usually need all the picks we can get but that would make an awful lot more sense to me than hoping that some of the June 1st cuts aren't total scrubs. Also would show a level of foresight and aggressiveness from the FO.

Unless Nsekhe balls out at LG and Christian is a viable backup tackle.

My guess is that the plan is to see what we have at guard through the minicamps and OTAs and look for a post June cut savior if we think the answer isn't on the roster. It's that or Callahan thinks he sees something in one of our guys.

Then again, for years the Redskins stood pat on certain positions even though the fans screamed, "FIX IT!" and we were right while they were wrong.

Just now, Burgold said:

Then again, for years the Redskins stood pat on certain positions even though the fans screamed, "FIX IT!" and we were right while they were wrong.

I disagree, I thought Tyler Polombus and Reed Doughty were exceptional players who were just under-appreciated by the fanbase... :rofl89: :redskins-3908:

2 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I disagree, I thought Tyler Polombus and Reed Doughty were exceptional players who were just under-appreciated by the fanbase... :rofl89: :redskins-3908:

I was thinking of "Fix the D Line" "Fix the O Line" personally. They kept drafting receivers, cornerbacks, and safeties and kept ignoring the lines until round six. It felt like they kept doing that for five or six years.

And Reed Doughty was underappreciated. He was a high motor, blue collar, give everything he had kind of player. He wasn't the answer, but he could have been an answer if when used appropriately (sort of like James Thrash).

51 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't know why anyone is mentioning Ty at guard. 

I also doubt the coaching staff is overlooking LG as a hole. 

It was mentioned that Long is on the speed dial. I'd rather fish a 4rth around and see who might be available. 

Jay Gruden has mentioned T at LG, we played him at LG for a game, except Moses went down real early. 

Long?  As in Spencer Long?  He's signed with the Jets, he's not just sitting around not getting a contract

41 minutes ago, carex said:

Jay Gruden has mentioned T at LG, we played him at LG for a game, except Moses went down real early. 

Long?  As in Spencer Long?  He's signed with the Jets, he's not just sitting around not getting a contract

Good, someone, TK I think mentioned we had been talking to him. 

How'd Ty look at Guard? 

I still like the idea of sliding Trent in there. Might keep him healthy. Who knows. 

21 hours ago, PlayAction said:

21 hours ago, PlayAction said:

Defensive Line (barring injury) - Allen, Ioannidis, Payne (rookie), Settle (rookie) are locks.  Lanier has shown potential as a pass rushing DE and he's only 24 so I expect him to make the roster.  That leaves one roster spot maybe two if the Skins take a roster slot from some other position group.  Hood is 31 but can play NT and DE.  Phil Taylor is a 30 yo NT that hasn't seen the field for three years.  McLain 29 and McGee 28 didn't live up to their contracts.  The remaining players are JAGs that need to make a Ioannidis leap to make the roster.  Please no injuries.  It's good that the Skins roster is at the point where their cut downs make other teams' rosters.

Offensive Line - Skins need a LG and it's not Koundijio (IMO).    

I agree that our locks are currently Allen, Ioannidis, Payne, Settle and Lanier.

Phil Taylor is obviously the best of the rest, when healthy, which is never. I would hate to be going into a season counting on Phil Taylor to be healthy, but last preseason, he looked so much better than McGee, McLain, or hood. And you have to figure that if we cut Hood for Taylor, we'd probably be able to resign him if and when Taylor got hurt. 

I disagree with the contention that a 6th DL would barely play. I think that has been the case for us, because our 6th DL has generally been less than JAG. I think ideally, you would platoon your DL in and out and keep them fresh. There is more room for rotation at DL than anywhere else on the roster. 

In terms of playing time though, we do spend so much time in nickel, you have to consider Kerrigan and Preston Smith as part of that DL rotation. Those guys will be at DE on most passing downs. That does leave less reps for the above group. 

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

How'd Ty look at Guard? 

I still like the idea of sliding Trent in there. Might keep him healthy. Who knows. 

Don't get too excited as there's also been talk of bringing back Ladoodoo. 

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

How'd Ty look at Guard? 

Hard to say, Moses got hurt very quickly, I think Ty only played a drive or two at LG

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree that our locks are currently Allen, Ioannidis, Payne, Settle and Lanier.

Phil Taylor is obviously the best of the rest, when healthy, which is never. I would hate to be going into a season counting on Phil Taylor to be healthy, but last preseason, he looked so much better than McGee, McLain, or hood. And you have to figure that if we cut Hood for Taylor, we'd probably be able to resign him if and when Taylor got hurt. 

I disagree with the contention that a 6th DL would barely play. I think that has been the case for us, because our 6th DL has generally been less than JAG. I think ideally, you would platoon your DL in and out and keep them fresh. There is more room for rotation at DL than anywhere else on the roster. 

In terms of playing time though, we do spend so much time in nickel, you have to consider Kerrigan and Preston Smith as part of that DL rotation. Those guys will be at DE on most passing downs. That does leave less reps for the above group. 

we rotate five DL instead of six because you can only dress 46 players on game day and you need extra DBs, LBs, WRs, TEs, and RBs for special teams and situational formations more than DL and OL.  Just like there's always one or two  OL inactive there will always be a DL inactive, unless injuries mean you don't need to

5 minutes ago, TK said:

Don't get too excited as there's also been talk of bringing back Ladoodoo. 

we could have already signed him for vet minimum if that was really going to happen

8 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

I think Clemmingses cap hit is wrong on the sites you use. His salary really should only be $705k, not $1.907M, the same as an original round restricted free agent tender. The fact that Crowder's salary is also $1.907 causes further pause.

Clemmings is on the last year of his rookie deal, which we picked up by claiming him off waivers rather than signing him as a free agent.  Considering both are 2015 4th round draft picks both should have the same cap hit

Just now, carex said:

Clemmings is on the last year of his rookie deal, which we picked up by claiming him off waivers rather than signing him as a free agent.  Considering both are 2015 4th round draft picks both should have the same cap hit

But it shouldn't be $1.907M, as neither of them was a RFA. I wonder if Crowder was due any performance bonuses?

32 minutes ago, carex said:

we could have already signed him for vet minimum if that was really going to happen

Or you can go through the Draft & see if you can get a guy or even wait til June 1st cuts before bringing him back. Or he could be pulling the vet move of not signing til camp so he has some time off & can skip OTAs. 

TJ Clemmings was really a plus athlete coming out. 6'5" with 35"+ arms and 309 pounds. At that size, he ran a 5.14, had a vert of 32.5" and a long jump of 111". Very impressive. He's still young. I wonder if there is hope for some Ty Nsekhe type late blooming. Between Ty, Geron and TJ, I think we have adequate depth at tackle.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/t.j.-clemmings?id=2552365

Guard and center could still be a disaster. Other than Scherff, ur roster and depth chart is an embarrassment at G and C. One or two injuries could tank our offense.  I would really like for us to take on some established and reliable vets after 6/1. We have cap room to make some 1 year additions. And we could sign a longer term contract if we don't plan on keeping McGee or McClain after this year. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/wsh/washington-redskins

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/wsh/washington-redskins

Archived