Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23494112/meet-josh-hader-unlikely-face-mlb-strikeout-revolution

I guess our scouting dept/FO gets credit for finding and drafting this local kid out of HS ... 

I am confident that they'd have screwed him up somehow, some way.  Does he get coached up to where he is now while playing for the Orioles?  Probably not.

Anyway, kudos to him for absolutely killing it this year.  18k/9 is absurd.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am confident that they'd have screwed him up somehow, some way.  Does he get coached up to where he is now while playing for the Orioles?  Probably not.

Anyway, kudos to him for absolutely killing it this year.  18k/9 is absurd.

The O's have more homegrown pitchers that are good than they are given credit for at this point including a homegrown Oriole had the most dominating season for a closer ever a couple seasons ago. They also tend to do a good job with relievers they acquire from other teams that haven't been that good. 

Have they struggled developing starters consistently, heck yes. Relievers on the other hand, the O's are kinda money at that more often than not. 

Hader's numbers are insane. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

The O's have more homegrown pitchers that are good than they are given credit for at this point including a homegrown Oriole had the most dominating season for a closer ever a couple seasons ago. They also tend to do a good job with relievers they acquire from other teams that haven't been that good. 

Have they struggled developing starters consistently, heck yes. Relievers on the other hand, the O's are kinda money at that more often than not. 

Hader's numbers are insane. 

Depends if they were going to look at Hader as a starter or not.  

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Depends if they were going to look at Hader as a starter or not.  

True. Maybe Tanner Scott will become a dominant lefty. I actually like where the O’s are as far as pitching goes over the next few years. We won’t have any infield ? but we may have good pitching

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

True. Maybe Tanner Scott will become a dominant lefty. I actually like where the O’s are as far as pitching goes over the next few years. We won’t have any infield ? but we may have good pitching

Sure hope so, would make things tolerable.

24 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sure hope so, would make things tolerable.

If the O’s were committed to a payroll of $150-$160 million, they could extend/resign Manny and Schoop to making $50 mill between them....

12 hours ago, Hersh said:

If the O’s were committed to a payroll of $150-$160 million, they could extend/resign Manny and Schoop to making $50 mill between them....

Except, I suspect that Manny could get his money AND go to a contender.  I dont think the O's could ever offer enough to make him want to stick around.  It doesnt seem like being an Orioles lifer is really in the calculus.

However, reading further in Heyman’s piece, there’s some information that could prove to be a source of frustration for Orioles fans. According to Heyman’s sources, the team was close to locking Machado in long-term just a few years ago.

“The Orioles are said by sources to have come “within $8 million or $9 million” of locking him up a couple years back, though one person familiar with those talks said the offer was for “well below $100 million,” and that person suggested he didn’t believe the sides were especially close to a deal. However, it seems Machado’s side might have made some sort of counteroffer to stay, or at least provided parameters, since sources are suggesting the gap ($8 million to $9 million) existed.”

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/09/22/report-baltimore-orioles-manny-machado-contract-extension/

------------------------------------------------

I think we had a chance to lock him up after his surgeries and when he was loving being an Orioles that season Nelson Cruz was here. Seemed liked Manny-Cruz-Schoop had a special bond going.

Cruz and Manny's surgery were 2014 so Manny was still under team control for 3 more years and Im guessing the Os didnt think it was a priority. Im sure the Os loved paying Manny 548K in 2015 and 5M in 2016, thinking short term instead of long term. 

A better run team would have taken advantage of that window imo and not let the price go up while chance of signing him went down. 

I really ****ing hate Angelos. Yeah he donated a library for UMBC law school, great. You made billions off the rampant lead paint chip problems that plagued the poor of Baltimore City. A personal injury law firm in downtown baltimore advertising lead paint cases was a gold mine. Still is. The last apartment i lived in baltimore city in 2016 STILL had lead paint that they lazily painted over but we had to sign an acknowledgment and waiver.

Love the Os but really hate Angelos right now.  

During that 2017 calendar year, the Orioles’ spent just $535,000 total. Remarkably, that’s an increase from the paltry $260,000 they spent in 2016, meaning the Orioles went two full years without spending $1 million combined on international prospects. It's not a one-year or a two-year aberration. It's a deliberate approach that the Orioles have taken for years, one that spans multiple management teams, because the decision comes from above the general manager. Ownership simply does not give the team’s scouts adequate resources to be able to do their jobs.

While other teams in their division add players like Gary Sanchez, Rafael Devers, Luis Severino, Miguel Andujar, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Wander Franco, no team in baseball has a worse international strategy than the Orioles. Players like Sanchez, Devers and Guerrero were all premium prospects in their class who cost north of $1 million, and the Orioles eliminate themselves from ever signing that caliber of player.

Teams can still find big leaguers at lower price points. Not only to the Orioles handcuff themselves on the top-tier international free agents, they also severely limit their chances of signing a future Top 100 prospect at a bargain price.

The Braves signed the game’s No. 1 prospect, Ronald Acuna, for $100,000 when he was a 16-year-old in Venezuela. The Orioles gave bonuses of $100,000 or more to just two players combined in all of 2016 and 2017. The Phillies signed the No. 22 prospect, righthander Sixto Sanchez, for $35,000, and other teams consistently find good pitchers for lower prices in Latin America. Yet while the Orioles signed just nine players in all of 2017, the Phillies added 54 international players to their farm system during that same time period. Clubs understand that there is a significant amount of luck involved when a player they sign for $35,000 turns into a big leaguer. Yet teams like the Phillies also give themselves greater opportunities to be lucky and hit on those players because they sign a high enough volume of players to tilt the probabilities in their favor.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/international-reviews-baltimore-orioles-2018/

Apologies for the text wall. Another brutal reminder of just how bad and under financed our team is. 

Rule 5 and dumpster diving is no way to go through life. 

4 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/international-reviews-baltimore-orioles-2018/

Apologies for the text wall. Another brutal reminder of just how bad and under financed our team is. 

Rule 5 and dumpster diving is no way to go through life. 

That's just ****ing terrible.  I can't believe Acuna was signed that cheaply.  

Meanwhile this franchise has spent a large sum of money over the years in very stupid ways.  The Davis contract, the Trumbo contract.  O'Day.  

It honestly doesn't even make sense.  They'll spend millions on Wei Yin Chen (awesome) and Hyun-soo Kim (pretty good at times!) and those guys are risks.  There's no telling that guys from Taiwan or Korea will translate to the MLB.  Meanwhile they could get 10 Acuna types at 16 years old for a million dollars and they don't even try.  I mean, you don't even have to scout that hard, just roll the dice!  

They gamble on a 4 year, 40+ million dollar deal that Trumbo can reproduce his monster HR year which was obviously an outlier but won't gamble on South American talent...because why?

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

...because why?

Because we have the smallest scouting dept with the lowest scouting department budget in the MLB.  Signing a Trumbo is a short term quick fix to try and make it look like ownership is invested. I honestly think Angelos allows our major league payroll to be middle to top 1/3 to deflect and mask how little we actually pay for operational budgets like scouting, etc. 

New ownership will have to build a scouting department from the ground up. 

1 minute ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Because we have the smallest scouting dept with the lowest scouting department budget in the MLB.  Signing a Trumbo is a short term quick fix to try and make it look like ownership is invested. I honestly think Angelos allows our major league payroll to be middle to top 1/3 to deflect and mask how little we actually pay for operational budgets like scouting, etc. 

New ownership will have to build a scouting department from the ground up. 

I totally agree, but I am not buying it.  All they need to do is shift resources and focus.  They just gave the corpse of Chris Tillman 3 million this year.

The article talks about what the Phillies did.  54 players signed.  They hit on one guy for 35k, turns out to be the #22 prospect in baseball.  Probably will hit on a few more there.  

You don't even have to have a scouting department down there.  Send Brady ****ing Anderson down there wearing an Orioles hat with a clipboard and a checkbook and just let him sign a bunch of guys to see what happens.  I guarantee they'd have a better minor league system if they did that.

Been thinking about this for the last couple seasons. We are one of the whitest teams in MLB and trending even more white. I know Jones has some kind of relationship with Angelos, but this crosses my mind as a reason why the team doesn't invest more in international scouting. I'm not saying, it's just crossed my mind. 

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

Been thinking about this for the last couple seasons. We are one of the whitest teams in MLB and trending even more white. I know Jones has some kind of relationship with Angelos, but this crosses my mind as a reason why the team doesn't invest more in international scouting. I'm not saying, it's just crossed my mind. 

So we suck because we are white? I think you nailed it! 

6 hours ago, EBoz said:

Angels GM:  I've been at happy hour for a little while now, but I think I'm ready to make a trade.

Hersh:  Let's hear it!

Angels GM:  Ok, I'll take Davis and Trumbo off your hands for Mike Trout.

Hersh:  Mike Trout?  He's white!  Give me Justin Upton instead!

10 hours ago, EBoz said:

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Angels GM:  I've been at happy hour for a little while now, but I think I'm ready to make a trade.

Hersh:  Let's hear it!

Angels GM:  Ok, I'll take Davis and Trumbo off your hands for Mike Trout.

Hersh:  Mike Trout?  He's white!  Give me Justin Upton instead!

Both of you missed the point and SS, that wasn't remotely funny. You are capable of better jokes than that. 

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Both of you missed the point and SS, that wasn't remotely funny. You are capable of better jokes than that. 

So I definitely missed the point because you seemed to insinuate that Angelos is a racist and I know you don't truly believe that.  

I don't pretend to know why Angelos prohibits the team from scouting and signing in South America.  I would prefer to think that he's not a racist.  Outside of being a terrible owner, he seems to be a man of the people with his work.  There's a lot to like about what he's done.  I think it's because he just doesn't understand or want to understand that you can give an 18 year old prospect 100k and you might never hear his name again.  Or you can give another kid 100k and he could turn into a superstar.  

Of course the Orioles are trending more white, they don't do anything but draft in the USA and occasionally sign someone from Asia (Chen and Kim).  But that speaks to a larger problem in MLB, not having African Americans coming up and playing baseball anymore.  

47 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So I definitely missed the point because you seemed to insinuate that Angelos is a racist and I know you don't truly believe that.  

I don't pretend to know why Angelos prohibits the team from scouting and signing in South America.  I would prefer to think that he's not a racist.  Outside of being a terrible owner, he seems to be a man of the people with his work.  There's a lot to like about what he's done.  I think it's because he just doesn't understand or want to understand that you can give an 18 year old prospect 100k and you might never hear his name again.  Or you can give another kid 100k and he could turn into a superstar.  

Of course the Orioles are trending more white, they don't do anything but draft in the USA and occasionally sign someone from Asia (Chen and Kim).  But that speaks to a larger problem in MLB, not having African Americans coming up and playing baseball anymore.  

I don't think he's a racist, but the thought has crossed my mind as to why the O's stay mostly out of the international market. Given the payroll, it wouldn't really cost much to be in the market so I'm not sure why the O's GMs aren't permitted to do more there. It's also not out of the realm of possibilities. 

19 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don't think he's a racist, but the thought has crossed my mind as to why the O's stay mostly out of the international market. Given the payroll, it wouldn't really cost much to be in the market so I'm not sure why the O's GMs aren't permitted to do more there. It's also not out of the realm of possibilities. 

Well when we say international market I think we both mean South America.  They did sign Chen, they did sign Kim.  They also signed another player from Taiwan a few years ago that never made it, I think he had a shoulder issue.  I can't remember his name but I think they signed him the same year they signed Chen.  

So they don't truly stay out of the international market altogether, they just completely ignore South America.

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well when we say international market I think we both mean South America.  They did sign Chen, they did sign Kim.  They also signed another player from Taiwan a few years ago that never made it, I think he had a shoulder issue.  I can't remember his name but I think they signed him the same year they signed Chen.  

So they don't truly stay out of the international market altogether, they just completely ignore South America.

Agreed. It definitely hurts the O’s a lot. I look no further than the Nats and their top two prospects as what the O’s miss out on.

Archived