Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

If your so upset about the third round pick traded to the Chefs for Alex, one that comes back to them a year later, what would you think that it takes for them to give up to get in front of all of the teams in front of them that need a QB too? 

I am not upset that they gave up a third round pick for Alex Smith.  

It's not about trading a third rounder for Alex Smith.  That wasn't the full trade.  That's just part of it.  Yeah call me crazy but I do think they can trade up higher in the draft with Fuller AND their third rounder. And heck they might have had more draft picks if they successfully traded Kirk.  If they have to sweeten the pot some, OK.   It's not like the typical draft where there is just one or two attractive QBs.  And this is with me riding with them trading up.  Don't see how that's a must.  And the idea that they liked Rudolph who they wouldn't have to trade up for -- why not that?  Heck and I am even ok with doing it next year instead of this year.  

I think the premise we are working with is different so based on that we won't see eye to eye.  To me this isn't 2018 or bust.  If that's your premise.  I understand you point.  But its now how I look at it.  I don't give a rats behind if they go 8-8 versus 3-13.  If 3-13 sets you up for the kill.  Would I have rather had the Redskins record last year or the Giants record?  I'd take the Giants considering they are in a better position than us to take a big step because of it.  

The third round pick is damn near guaranteed at this point.

We won't agree on this either.  I am looking at it from the perspective of what other teams typically get when they trade QBs.  You don't care one whit about that and just want to focus on the tit for tat third rounder this year for third round next year.  We aren't even in the same stadium let alone same field on this point.  I think your point is as wild and crazy and you think mine is on this.

You think getting the third rounder is ridiculously good for Kirk.  I am with Laconfora on this one, to me its a comical joke to celebrate a 2019 3rd rounder as a job well done for compensation for Kirk.   Its to me like selling a $1000 coach for $400 and patting myself on the back while watching my neighbors sell their $700 couches for $2000.  You don't care what the neighbors got for their couches.  Because isn't that $400 cool, we can go to the mall and spend it next year.  Forget that we got ripped off for it.  Forget that competitors within our own division multiple times got bounties for their couches including at our own expense.  Good for them and who cares?  I am just not into a good for them who cares mode about it.

That's the reason it always made sense to target Alex Smith, he wasn't a free agent. Those picks are only for losses of free agents. Not sure what you mean by win now or that we may lose that pick next year. They can't lose it 

To run with your logic.  And I'll keep it real simple.  You'd rather have a 3rd round pick in 2019 than Kendall Fuller? A top half of the 3rd round pick now versus the bottom of the third round in 2019.  It's all even?  Clearly, its not, so yeah if Alex Smith was a FA of course you'd rather sign him that way than trade for him.  The fact that it was a trade wasn't a bonus.  That's the part that stung.

I know there are some who like the trade.  But you are on your own island as far as I can tell about its better to give up trade capital than sign a FA because of that charming 3rd round 2019 compensation pick.  I haven't seen anyone on that point.  For the ones who like the trade its almost always prefaced with it sucks that we had to give up this and I wish we didn't but it is what it is.

3. The Redskins have a lot of interesting free agents on the team now - Breeland talk is saying he's going to get 10 million plus a season, Brown talk is he's going to get between 7-9 million a season somewhere, Junior and Trent pass rushers are always needed by other teams and get overpaid, and there are other guys who likely go to other teams.

You pounding the table about all the FAs we are poised to lose and thus will protect the precious 3rd round 2019 pick -- makes me feel worse not better about the trade.

For me to like this trade more than I do right now (right now its "meh" at best for me) they need to surround Alex with weapons.   If all of a sudden we sign Watkins and Richardson and Lewis -- or whomever -- it becomes more interesting to me.  But the idea of the roster, taking a step back with FAs departures or coasting with Alex at the helm -- that to me is puke worthy. 

I know we agree to disagree on the age drill -- to you 34 is like the new 24 in the NFL -- for me I am much more uncertain that a guy that age is the long term answer.  My take is if we are going for the kill.  Go for the kill.  So I need to see the 2nd leg (hopefully there is one) of a plan play out.

I've watched enough Alex Smith to both like him but also have a strong belief that the roster as its currently constructed isn't set up fairly for him to have success.  They need to have a good off season and surround him with the weapons he needs.  If they actually do that.  The trade wouldn't bother me as much as it does now. 

The more I read about Bruce Allen the more I think that he is in this position mainly just to be a part of some elite fraternity of NFL billionaire owners, Presidents and GM’s.  It’s a small group that meets regularly at expensive resorts to discuss league issues.  It’s a nice life.  He seems to be more of the schmoozing, party, and political type rather than a real football guy who has neither the talent nor puts in the hard work to understand how to build a team or identify quality players.  I remember reading a story recently about Bruce being interviewed at one of these meetings and practically springing out of his chair in the middle of the interview to glad-hand Woody Johnson when he walked by.  That is a schmoozer.  A person who wants to enjoy the easy fun part of a job and not put in the hard work.  I may be wrong but I see Allen more concerned with saving face and his job with this Cousins contract fiasco than actually trying to make the team better.  I am not even sure that he likes football other than for the lifestyle and pay the position brings him.  Part of the reason could be that he is jaded from being in the league too long and maybe what the Redskins really need is a young, hungry, driven football fanatic as GM.  Scot McCloughan seemed to live and breath football....Allen doesn’t seem to carry that trait.  Meanwhile you have Snyder enabling Allen because he has a fun buddy to hang with.  Snyder seems to be the insecure type looking to find friends from within his employees...like Allen, RG3, Portis...etc...   The team is doomed until Snyder can wise up and hire someone strong enough to stand up to him.  My 2 cents. 

On 2/21/2018 at 9:22 AM, Gibbit said:

I saw a youtube vice documentary about some kind of south American  zombie/free-will drug called scopolamine....I remember a 90s horror movie made about it. We need to blow this in Kirks agent's face

And in the event that this failed, at least force Bruce Allen to stop freebasing the ****.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:16 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My point is not that it’s alarming because of how good Kirk is as a player.  But merely the fact that the relationship with Bruce is so bad that he’d want to leave.

1/2 of the fans want to leave, and 1/2 already have. 

But Kirk is the asshole. :headbang:

On 2/21/2018 at 1:23 AM, bobandweave said:

What would be painful for every person who considers themselves a fan of this team is to see Kirk end up in a situation like Minnesota where he wins a ton of games. If you want that then that's on you. I don't want that for this fanbase. Rather see Kirk goto NY and burn out.

Hell winning in Minnesota would be expected.

Even more painful for you to see him go to the Jets or Browns and win more games than the Redskins next year, which is actually going to be hilarious if he ends up there. 

Because they probably will.

54 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Kirk is going to go to good franchise and win a Super Bowl.  If he wins two and puts 4K a year for another decade he makes the HOF.  I think these are challenging but achievable goals for Kirk in Minnesota or Jacksonville. It will be fun for me to follow him there!

And when he does he should encourage all of his new team's fans to send Brucie and Danny thank you cards.

53 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Hell winning in Minnesota would be expected.

Even more painful for you to see him go to the Jets or Browns and win more games than the Redskins next year, which is actually going to be hilarious if he ends up there. 

Because they probably will.

at this point i would think it is likely that kirk on the browns or jets will win more than the redskins over the course of his tenure. 

if he can take a team like the browns or jets and win a sb. i think that would be very impressive. 

I find it hard to wish anything bad for Cousins.  He went through not one, but two seasons with nothing guaranteed-- knowing that if he got injured, his free agent value would plummet, and m-a-y-b-e, Allen would grudgingly offer him a cheap FO-friendly contract.

And when Cousins did well in the first year, Allen let go of his "go-to" WRs, "cheaped out" on finding him a bell-cow RB, and watched as Cousins would spend the 2017 season behind one of the most patch-work, injured, JAG-heavy, offensive lines I can recall. Cousins was scrambling for his career that whole season, with everything on the line.

The fact that Cousins emerged in one piece, and with somewhat decent stats,  was essentially a big victory over a Skins FO that was trying to win in their negotiations -- in any way possible. Maybe, the FO didn't anticipate all the problems the O-line would have, but they could have have tried to sign either Garçon or Jackson, instead of the bargain basement sale on Pryor -- and the season might have turned out differently.

If Cousins escapes this Dumpster Fire franchise, I will wish him well -- he earned it.  But like the surprise last gasp attack from  almost dead villain in grade-B horror films, I keep waiting to see if Bruce Allen is going to try to do one more thing to strangle Cousins' impending free agency.

This episode needs to close quietly. It's another in a litany of Snyder/Allen miscalculations, and the NFL will pounce on Snyder/Allen trying to exploit tags for reasons well beyond the spirit in which those clauses were developed.  And the foolish Skins FO have provided all the evidence needed to prove they have no intentions of hanging onto Cousins. This is a hard time to be a Skins fan.

3 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I find it hard to wish anything bad for Cousins.  He went through not one, but two seasons with nothing guaranteed-- knowing that if he got injured, his free agent value would plummet, and m-a-y-b-e, Allen would grudgingly offer him a cheap FO-friendly contract.

And when Cousins did well in the first year, Allen let go of his "go-to" WRs, "cheaped out" on finding him a bell-cow RB, and watched as Cousins would spend the 2017 season behind one of the most patch-work, injured, JAG-heavy, offensive lines I can recall. Cousins was scrambling for his career that whole season, with everything on the line.

The fact that Cousins emerged in one piece, and with somewhat decent stats,  was essentially a big victory over a Skins FO that was trying to win in their negotiations -- in any way possible. Maybe, the FO didn't anticipate all the problems the O-line would have, but they could have have tried to sign either Garçon or Jackson, instead of the bargain basement sale on Pryor -- and the season might have turned out differently.

If Cousins escapes this Dumpster Fire franchise, I will wish him well -- he earned it.  But like the surprise last gasp attack from  almost dead villain in grade-B horror films, I keep waiting to see if Bruce Allen is going to try to do one more thing to strangle Cousins' impending free agency.

This episode needs to close quietly. It's another in a litany of Snyder/Allen miscalculations, and the NFL will pounce on Snyder/Allen trying to exploit tags for reasons well beyond the spirit in which those clauses were developed.  And the foolish Skins FO have provided all the evidence needed to prove they have no intentions of hanging onto Cousins. This is a hard time to be a Skins fan.

If Allen will treat their franchise quarterback, face of the team, and probably best player in a decade like this....don’t you think other FA’s are making note and wondering whether they want to play here?  I think only players looking to get paid and give minimal effort would want to sign here. Those broken down past their prime former stars looking for one last big payday.  If I were Zack Brown, I would run as far away as possible.  BTW...I work next to Redskins Park and the place looks kinda rundown compared to pictures I have seen of other team facilities.  Danny must be cheap unless it’s a new plane or yacht for himself.

1 hour ago, Cliffmark1 said:

at this point i would think it is likely that kirk on the browns or jets will win more than the redskins over the course of his tenure. 

if he can take a team like the browns or jets and win a sb. i think that would be very impressive. 

Winning a SB with the Jets or the Browns would be epic but I doubt Cousins will really be tempted to go to either franchise, if he was willing to take a chance with a hapless franchise he could've stayed in DC.  I think he wants to upgrade to a winner and will be willing to take a lot less to play for a winner. 

5 hours ago, bobandweave said:

I like the way you think but No I don't think that is possible.

The media is reporting that the Jets to keep themselves in this QB conversation are either going to front load the contract and give him like 60 million year one or fully guarantee the deal Kirk signs. 

If either happened the Redskins couldn't match. The only way what your saying is possible is if the deal Kirk signs works for our salary cap and that's doubtful. So more likely the Redskins would transition tag Kirk, a team like the Jets would sign him to a deal they knew we couldn't match, and he leaves for nothing.

Yeah, I was thinking that would only be workable if he had a team in mind to go to and they couldn't offer what the Jets reportedly will (Denver, mostly).

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, it doesn’t alarm me at all that a player we drafted, developed, and spent 50M dollars on is the hottest commodity to hit the free agent market that many other teams desperately want to get their hands on.  We’re probably just smarter than many other teams, ridding ourselves of a disappointment, that several other football guys on other teams just can’t see.

I get being done with the drama around it, but I think even the most ardent AntiKirks here deep down have reservations about the fact that this could be the most downright embarrassing thing this embarrassing FO has ever done.  Obviously, I don’t expect any of them to admit that and they’ll probably reply and vehemently deny it.  

The guy is not worth 30 million per season. He's not a great QB. He's a good QB and should be paid accordingly. Let some of these other teams overpay for him and regret it after the 2018 season is over. Yes the FO made the mistake of not paying in 2015 but it is what it is at this point. When Kirk did not come back with a counter offer at the start of training camp last year it was over. He was going to FA. 

3 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Kirk is going to go to good franchise and win a Super Bowl.  If he wins two and puts 4K a year for another decade he makes the HOF.  I think these are challenging but achievable goals for Kirk in Minnesota or Jacksonville. It will be fun for me to follow him there!

Cousins is not going to the HOF. There's almost a zero % chance of that. What are you smoking?

46 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Nothing guaranteed except almost $44 million

Wrong.

Each year was a one year deal, and the salary offer was mandated by the league.  The Skins had to offer that amount of money per year, if they wanted to tag him.  But, nothing guaranteed after each season was over.  (Something that Allen's hype machine would use in talking up the only offer (a below market deal with 2nd year guaranteed) they gave to Cousin in the spring of 2017.)

If Cousins been significantly injured in 2016, he certainly wouldn't have been tagged the second year. And as an injured QB, he wouldn't have been a hot commodity on the open market either.

Cousins gambled on himself staying upright and with decent stats in 2016 and again in 2017 -- and he won both times.  

Sadly, the Skins FO doesn't want to acknowledge this reality, and took steps to find a "cheaper" replacement. Maybe people will look back at this and say it was a shrewd decision-- that the FA QB market was over-priced, and Allen found another  bargain-bin gem.

Frankly, I think Allen is simply being overly-frugal (cheap) and may have opted to settle for an older QB in decline over an emerging QB in his prime.

1 hour ago, Alexa said:

Cousins is not going to the HOF. There's almost a zero % chance of that. What are you smoking?

Usually, I smoke Ashton's.  They are mild with a bit of sweetness.  I enjoy some other smokes but Ashton is my usual smoke.

As for Cousins, if he signs with a team that is stacked like Minnesota or Jacksonville I think he has a solid chance at a Super Bowl win.  If the team manages to retain their talent long enough for him to win a second Super Bowl than I like his HOF chances.  Kirk will put up great stats as long as he is in the league the challenge will be to get on a team that is capable of a Super Bowl run and capitalizing on the opportunity twice, not once but twice.

Cousins is going to be able to pick his employer in 2018 so his chances of winning a Super Bowl have improved significantly.  Hopefully, he'll head to Minnesota or Jacksonville and knock out the first Super Bowl win in 2019.

6 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

55 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Cousins is going to be able to pick his employer in 2018 so his chances of winning a Super Bowl have improved significantly.  Hopefully, he'll head to Minnesota or Jacksonville and knock out the first Super Bowl win in 2019.

the good franchises aren't going to meet his asking price.  And he only gets to pick his employer out of the teams that offer him a deal, so the idea that free agency is some instant Super Bowl access is flat wrong.

42 minutes ago, carex said:

the good franchises aren't going to meet his asking price.  And he only gets to pick his employer out of the teams that offer him a deal, so the idea that free agency is some instant Super Bowl access is flat wrong.

Have you personally spoken with Cousins or his agent?  If you haven't don't act like you know what his asking price is because you don't have a clue, neither do I.  I believe him when he says winning is a priority so I expect him to be a lot more interested in going to work for Minnesota or Jacksonville than other potential suitors and willing to work for a lot less with a stacked team.  So yes, I think he will get a chance to sign on with a club ready to win.

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

Have you personally spoke with Cousins or his agent?  If you haven't don't act like you know what his asking price is because you don't have a clue, neither do I.  I believe him when he says winning is a priority so I expect him to be a lot more interested in going to work for Minnesota or Jacksonville than other potential suitors and willing to work for a lot less with a stacked team.  So yes, I think he will get a chance to sign on with a club ready to win.

If Kirk is as good as you say he shouldn't need a stacked team to win a SB.

Just now, mistertim said:

If Kirk is as good as you say he shouldn't need a stacked team to win a SB.

Sure, because he can block and tackle also.

How many Super Bowl wins would Tom Brady have if he had spent his career working for Snyder in Washington instead of Kraft in New England?  None, nada, bubkis...

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

Sure, because he can block and tackle also.

How many Super Bowl wins would Tom Brady have if he had spent his career working for Snyder in Washington instead of Kraft in New England?  None, nada, bubkis...

So it was New England and Kraft who made Brady an elite QB and gave him all of the traits and tools, physical and mental, that led to that? It always cracks me up when people try to dress down elite and HoF QBs, or in this case the GOAT, in order to prop up Kirk Cousins. Granted, it is certainly the more extreme pro-Kirk fringe, but I've still seen it plenty of times.

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So it was New England and Kraft who made Brady an elite QB and gave him all of the traits and tools, physical and mental, that led to that? It always cracks me up when people try to dress down elite and HoF QBs, or in this case the GOAT, in order to prop up Kirk Cousins. Granted, it is certainly the more extreme pro-Kirk fringe, but I've still seen it plenty of times.

What cracks me up is people like Mr Tim here who actually believe that all Dan Snyder is lacking is a Tom Brady and he's piling up SB trophy's.

:rofl89:

Archived