Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN's 50 Greatest Black Athletes

Spaceman Spiff

http://theundefeated.com/features/50-greatest-black-athletes/#isiah-thomas

Giant omissions include Tiger Woods, Kobe and Deion Sanders.   I have no idea how Simone Biles and Gabby Douglas made the list and made it into the top 10 (sandwiched around Jerry Rice and Hank Aaron).  I have no idea how Steph Curry made it over someone like Kobe or Kevin Garnett, either.  I think Bo Jackson deserves it, but to be ahead of Jim Brown?  

You can probably guess who #1 is but my #1 pick is Jackie Robinson and by a wide, wide margin.  

Anyway, discuss.  

Started out terrible. 

Didn't get past Duncan being below Robinson. 

Won't entertain the rest of the list without seeing a simple listing. 

That is a laugh. 

However, I would put Bo above Jim also. 

Agree about Sanders, Bryant, and Woods being more absurd mistakes. 

That list is a joke. By far, the two that has everyone scratching their heads is Biles and Douglas. I'm not sure that they should even be on the list, but top 10? After that, the list became a joke. 

Despite Tiger not even recognizing himself as a black man (which might be the reason he's not on the list) he should have been high on this list.

LeBron #29? Get outta here. 

There's many more problems with this list.

It should be remembered that these are voted on through Survey Monkey. Even in the SportsCenter interview the writer for "The Undefeated" said "People be stupid."

The age of was in between 18-35 years old. People with no concept that history existed prior to 1980.

I can't figure out why this is getting so much attention.

FTR: Thread title issue, this list is from "The Undefeated" not ESPN.

So, I figured out how to look at the entire list. DOH !

Did I miss Floyd ? Did I miss Tyson ? Did I miss Holyfield ? 

@Spaceman Spiff , Look at the other lists and Robinson is #1 in 2 of them. To match the overall #1. 

Bolt and Kareem should both be top 10 as far as dominance. 

Is this a counter to McEnroe making his statement about Williams ? 

42 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

It should be remembered that these are voted on through Survey Monkey. Even in the SportsCenter interview the writer for "The Undefeated" said "People be stupid."

The age of was in between 18-35 years old. People with no concept that history existed prior to 1980.

I can't figure out why this is getting so much attention.

FTR: Thread title issue, this list is from "The Undefeated" not ESPN.

Pretty sure The Undefeated is a subsidiary of ESPN.  It's the first thing you see when you log on to ESPN.

The age thing makes a big difference though.  Surprised that there are people out there that are 18 that know Ray Robinson and Joe Louis.  

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

No more than any other media person. 

Bias. 

You know what I mean. 

Stephen A might be the worst. He really thinks he's bigger or as big as the athletes he's covering. The man openly threatens to ruin lives/careers.

I'm assuming this is supposed to encompass more than athletic achievement?  I didn't look at the list, I'm just going off comments here, but I can at least see the arguments for Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles as breaking down barriers, especially over someone like Holyfield, who was a very good boxer but not exactly in the discussion for best at anything.  I mean, most casual boxing fans know Holyfield for losing part of his ear, not much about his career.

Okay, I looked at the first page...Tim Duncan.  Tim Duncan was a great basketball player, showed up game after game.  Arguably a Top-15 player of all time.  But he didn't break any real barriers; I don't remember him speaking up or advancing any causes, etc. So depending on how you slice it, I can see why the gymnasts were highly ranked, that and recency bias.

I'm assuming Muhammad Ali and Jackie Robinson were 1-2 in some order?  Can anyone post the whole list?

I agree that Stephen A. is an a-hole, but Tiger Woods is the edge of "athletic".  Any golfer is.  I know they work out intensely sometimes, because muscles have to work properly in order to have a decent swing...I couldn't drive till I went to a chiropractor and got "all worked out".  

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I agree that Stephen A. is an a-hole, but Tiger Woods is the edge of "athletic".  Any golfer is.  I know they work out intensely sometimes, because muscles have to work properly in order to have a decent swing...I couldn't drive till I went to a chiropractor and got "all worked out".  

Somebody please agree that NASCAR is not athletic.  You have to be able to hold your pee...or not...who really knows?:silly:

Joey T. and Riggins or we ain't friends.

When they make these "greatest athletes" list, I don't think you're supposed to take the word athlete literally. You're judged on many criteria and physical prowess is probably the least of them.

Archived