Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN's 50 Greatest Black Athletes

Spaceman Spiff

Just now, Robbob said:

Darrell Green should really be on this list somewhere.  

As much as I like Darrell Green, I don't think so. IMO, to be in the top 50, you have to be more than just a great athlete in your sport. 

Honestly, someone like Mike Tyson should be on this list before Green.

1 minute ago, DM72 said:

As much as I like Darrell Green, I don't think so. IMO, to be in the top 50, you have to be more than just a great athlete in your sport. 

Honestly, someone like Mike Tyson should be on this list before Green.

This is gonna kick off a whole different debate, but Mike Tyson never fought anyone.  Well, anyone until after his jail stint and then he still couldn't handle Holyfield.

Pretty sure he even admitted to Don King propping him up in his book, I read it a couple years ago.  Paper champ.  

Not to say he didn't have talent, he absolutely did.  But he didn't fight anyone great until arguably on the downside of his career.  

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This is gonna kick off a whole different debate, but Mike Tyson never fought anyone.  Well, anyone until after his jail stint and then he still couldn't handle Holyfield.

Pretty sure he even admitted to Don King propping him up in his book, I read it a couple years ago.  Paper champ.  

Not to say he didn't have talent, he absolutely did.  But he didn't fight anyone great until arguably on the downside of his career.  

I totally agree. But his legacy is quite strong. Youngest ever heavyweight champion. 1st PPV star. A Tyson fight was must see TV. He's remembered. 

He was more than just another boxer. Evander, IMO, was better, but Tyson is the more iconic boxer.

3 minutes ago, DM72 said:

I totally agree. But his legacy is quite strong. Youngest ever heavyweight champion. 1st PPV star. A Tyson fight was must see TV. He's remembered. 

He was more than just another boxer. Evander, IMO, was better, but Tyson is the more iconic boxer.

I'd agree with your assessment, too.  Must see, TV.  I remember watching one of his fights when I was a kid at the neighbors house across the street.  Can't remember which fight it was but I think he knocked someone out in the 2nd round.  One of my parents friends was saying how she didn't like boxing but didn't miss a Tyson fight.  I remember her telling me not to take my eyes off the TV because you didn't know when it could be over.

Can't forget Tyson's Punch-Out either.  

7 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

where's Eldrick?

One of the many privileges that whites receive: our accomplishments aren't weighed against the connection we make with our heritage by headasses like Stephen A. Smith. 

"He was an incredible author, and we should all be grateful to him for his contributions to literature, but he doesn't even have a Starbucks rewards membership...idk man."

I'd argue that the way Tyson was dominant early on, works against him.

If he had competitive wars, and came out on top in the end of most of them, he'd be considered "greater".  Even though it's "worse" because you're getting pushed to the later rounds and decisions...like all the greats did a lot.  Perhaps we'd think more of his opposition if he didn't just decapitate them like a ****ing wild beast.

He was totally undersized, and had INCREDIBLE technique in order to do what he did.  Holy jumpin' ****balls, the dude had some moves down so-pat, that you couldn't do anything but stand there and get KO'D.

Tyson had mad talent and athleticism.  Awesome.

So once again according to ESPN, Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete of all time.  Remember when Jordan thought he was such a great athlete that he would take up baseball?  Michael Jordan couldn't hit a curveball with an ironing board.

Asbury Skins Fan alluded to this earlier in the thread.  When the general public votes on things they are ALWAYS skewed toward modern history because most people have no concept of things that didn’t happen in their life time.   

5 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

Asbury Skins Fan alluded to this earlier in the thread.  When the general public votes on things they are ALWAYS skewed toward modern history because most people have no concept of things that didn’t happen in their life time.   

And that explains why Bill Russell is as low as he is. 

Archived