Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Davis is making 2.4m this year... I think he's going to want 4+ next year.  

I'm thinking Kirk and one of our WRs run us around $30m

Baker I'm not sure about... 6ish?

Do we extend Murphy?

We need 2 more players on the Dline, 1 to start next to Baker, and 1 to battle RJF and Hood (re-sign) for snaps.  I'd like to see a good starter added in FA (Short) and an early draft pick.  

Safety and ILB are going to be tough.  I'm hoping Spaight (or Daniels, but I don't think he'll be ready) can step up, because FA and the draft will only get us so far with those 4 spots. 

Not sure Davis is going to rate that kind of money.  Hopefully he doesn't and we can give him that much guaranteed over two.  I'd love to keep him here.

7 hours ago, bobandweave said:

What does the 3rd year have to do with anything? Seriously have we not even learned that quick fixes and expecting immediate results doesn't work for us and is a quick way to disappointment? Third year means nothing to me. I don't get that and question you or anyone believing there is some magical number of years to turn a team from a loser, into a playoff contender. In the short amount of time Scot has been here you see the titanic rising, but be serious. A new head coach will not fix this, TIME fixes this. One draft with 9 picks does not fix this, multiple drafts fixes this. You can not rush that.

I'm actually pleased to tell you that this offense is good enough to win a championship.  I'm not sure that this defense is good enough to hold some college teams to under 10 points, though.

We are in better shape than we've been in a long time.  This is like 1999, we just need to make the right moves.  Hopefully that doesn't involve paying a ton for over the hill players and drafting possibly the laziest prima donna to ever wear the number 56.

My favorite thread of the year.  Here's to another ride, gentlemen.  I be reading the front page of ES like...

200.gif#0

Zach Brown was always a physical freak.  Dude still holds track records at UNC.  I doubt he makes it out of Buffalo, but a name to watch for sure.

I'd like to take a look at Sylvester Williams, DT Broncos.  They declined his fifth year option this season.  

11 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

If they are serious about improving the defense, they better get at least two, maybe three, impact players via free agency.  That's if the Cousins deal doesn't hamstring them.

Regarding the offense, I agree that they need to re-sign Cousins and Garcon. 

If they're already spending a fortune on Kerrigan, Norman and I assume Baker, there's no way the defense can afford more than one big money FA on D. If we do and he's actually available, I'd drop it all on Dont'a Hightower

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If they're already spending a fortune on Kerrigan, Norman and I assume Baker, there's no way the defense can afford more than one big money FA on D. If we do and he's actually available, I'd drop it all on Dont'a Hightower

An ILB such as Hightower would be a great way to go.  To reiterate, my desire is two or three impact FAs as opposed to the very best FAs. The Redskins definitely can't afford that.  This is why Scott is making the big bucks.  

IMO he cannot fix all the defensive problems at all three levels of the defense in the draft alone.  So one great FA pickup may not be enough to make the defense significantly better.

11 hours ago, CTskin said:

Agreed. Assuming we re-sign Cousins, a WR, Baker, we will be left with $25Mish... Plenty to address the defensive positions of need. He sold me on all of the Jeron Johnson/David Bruton/Kendall Reyes signings, but I'm not falling for it again. I need to see that $25M bring in a couple new toys.

For all those looking at Terrel Pryor, stop. McClu doesn't pay WRs and this guys will command BIG money. Sidenote- very cool to see a college QB make such an impressive transition to WR.

Pryor, Doctson, and Crowder would potentially be sick though.  Assuming Doctson can actually play, that is, which we have no idea.  

But imagine the fades that could be thrown, CTSkin, the fades! lol McVay wouldnt know what to do.

Two former Patriots that I'd go after:

- Jamie Collins 

- Chandler Jones 

Both UFAs, both dynamic and both can be used in multiple alignments and roles. For us, Collins mostly inside stacked and Jones obviously for passrush. Collins could conceivably be used inside like with NE or outside like with CLE. I thought Collins was a key dynamic to the Pats pass defense. Collins could be so dynamic for us with the right coaching and hyping. Three down player. 

Redskins need Cousins, Baker, Davis, Sundberg and Hood, plus one of the WRs.  Davis's age will keep him from getting a raise and Hood is good depth.

Honestly, I think the Skins free agency needs would be best served by switching to the 4-3.  Kerrigan Smith and Murphy become full time ends, and we only need a tackle to go alongside Baker.  Hood, RJF, Lanier, Ionaddis fill out rotation spots.

I think 4-3 LBs are a bit cheaper than elite- 3-4 players.  In this scenario I try to draft a MLB, sign a FA linebacker for the strongside and sincd it seems like 4-3 OLBs end up having a lot of the responsibilties of a 3-4 ILB(coverage, runstopping) I see about Compton, Foster or one of the younger guys for the weakside

Now on O, the question is has Long made himself the C of the future and does Lauvao stick around for another year.  If he doesn't do you sign someone or let Arie have a shot.  Does Kory come back as a potential swing OL backup?

Two unrestricted FA ILBs looking for bouncebacks:

- Jon Bostic

- Sio Moore 

Both had good starts to their careers and had the physical talent to be everything you wanted from ILBs, but both are dealing with injury. Moore dealing with a hip, Bostic dealing with a foot. Moore's first two years with the Raiders he looked like an emerging All-Pro, since the injury he's been lost to the ether. 

Bargain bin. 

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Two former Patriots that I'd go after:

- Jamie Collins 

- Chandler Jones 

Both UFAs, both dynamic and both can be used in multiple alignments and roles. For us, Collins mostly inside stacked and Jones obviously for passrush. Collins could conceivably be used inside like with NE or outside like with CLE. I thought Collins was a key dynamic to the Pats pass defense. Collins could be so dynamic for us with the right coaching and hyping. Three down player. 

Jones is gonna re-up with Az and Collins I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Ton of talent, no question, but he's becoming a cancer. 

Two unrestricted FA ILBs looking for bouncebacks:

- Jon Bostic

- Sio Moore 

Both had good starts to their careers and had the physical talent to be everything you wanted from ILBs, but both are dealing with injury. Moore dealing with a hip, Bostic dealing with a foot. Moore's first two years with the Raiders he looked like an emerging All-Pro, since the injury he's been lost to the ether. 

Bargain bin. 

Bostic was a beast coming out of Florida and I have no idea how he hasn't taken in Chicago. 

He was drafted to take over for Urlacher but never fit in the Tampa 2.  Kinda lost track of him after that.

To be honest, these are the dudes that Scot will be looking at.  Unless a blue chipper makes it out.

1 hour ago, carex said:

Honestly, I think the Skins free agency needs would be best served by switching to the 4-3.  Kerrigan Smith and Murphy become full time ends, and we only need a tackle to go alongside Baker.  Hood, RJF, Lanier, Ionaddis fill out rotation spots.

I think 4-3 LBs are a bit cheaper than elite- 3-4 players.  In this scenario I try to draft a MLB, sign a FA linebacker for the strongside and sincd it seems like 4-3 OLBs end up having a lot of the responsibilties of a 3-4 ILB(coverage, runstopping) I see about Compton, Foster or one of the younger guys for the weakside

I don't hate that idea, but you're going to need to get a run stopping end and more than one DT in here if that's what you want to do. 

I think RJF and Lanier MIGHT could play the run end.  You're still going to need some disuption on there cause I'm watching this Arizona game and there are plays where we are in a 4 man front and we get blown the **** off the ball.

23 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Jones is gonna re-up with Az and Collins I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Ton of talent, no question, but he's becoming a cancer. 

Of the two, the more likely to leave their current team would be Collins. Cleveland. Says it all. 

Jones staying with AZ would be an indictment of the supporting talent on the Skins' D, and the coaching/scheme malaise. I refuse to accept the Colin Cowherd philosophy as the divining rod for football player acquisition. Media hearsay doesn't define Collins. I mean, unless you're in the lockerroom, calling someone a cancer is anecdotal at best. Whether he's aloof or self absorbed, IDK, just remember two words: Will Compton. 

We're in no position to refuse a talent like Collins. (Even if you have to hire a personal hype coach and video game entourage in order to keep him happy). 

11 hours ago, DM72 said:

If fired, does Rex Ryan counts as a potential FA?

Todd Bowles will be and he'd better be our DC.

He blitzed more as AZ DC than anyone in the league.  A Gruden offense and a Bowles defense is SWAG-R.  No "e," just straight to the R.  Uppercase.

14 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Todd Bowles will be and he'd better be our DC.

He blitzed more as AZ DC than anyone in the league.  A Gruden offense and a Bowles defense is SWAG-R.  No "e," just straight to the R.  Uppercase.

This is my dream.  Seriously make this happen.  His presser tonight was awesome.  Not easy to have an awesome, badass and classy presser when you get smoked like that.

I just never felt like Barry's scheme was a good marriage with Gruden's offense.  We should be trying to hang 40 on people and then sending the dogs in for the kill.  I know there's a talent deficit, but I just don't see that mindset.  

You know SM is gonna get us some groceries on defense.  SM/Gruden/Bowles.  I can see that trio possibly cutting down the nets.  This could be the perfect storm.  It makes too much damn sense.

21 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This is my dream.  Seriously make this happen.  His presser tonight was awesome.  Not easy to have an awesome, badass and classy presser when you get smoked like that.

I stopped short of calling for Bowles as the new DC in the ATL thread because while he's clearly been on the upward trajectory career-wise, at the same time I'd almost universally say that the Jets have more talent on the defense than us. And, well, to get embarrassed like that tonight, in a season of underachievement, what does that say about him? 

It looked like the Jets weren't prepared. They lacked any hop, guys milling about before the snap, out of alignment, and they got torched. I mean, Bowles owns some of that.  

3 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

It looked like the Jets weren't prepared. They lacked any hop, guys milling about before the snap, out of alignment, and they got torched. I mean, Bowles owns some of that.  

I don't disagree.  I'm definitely biased.  I always loved Bowles as a player and as a coach.  

Things have gone sideways for the Jets this year.  The Fitzpatrick deal gone awry, Revis slowing down. losing because of a missed extra point in week one.  I think it's kind of a perfect storm for them this year.  Bowles certainly owns that, but I think his body of work is bigger than just one season.

Again, I'm biased.  I just think he's one of those guys that might be a great DC, and maybe not a great HC.  At least, not yet.  

Of the two, the more likely to leave their current team would be Collins. Cleveland. Says it all. 

Jones staying with AZ would be an indictment of the supporting talent on the Skins' D, and the coaching/scheme malaise. I refuse to accept the Colin Cowherd philosophy as the divining rod for football player acquisition. Media hearsay doesn't define Collins. I mean, unless you're in the lockerroom, calling someone a cancer is anecdotal at best. Whether he's aloof or self absorbed, IDK, just remember two words: Will Compton. 

We're in no position to refuse a talent like Collins. (Even if you have to hire a personal hype coach and video game entourage in order to keep him happy). 

We're in the same position as every other team in the NFL in terms of rejecting a player looking for Von Miller money without being Von Miller. The alleged rumors of his level of effort whether overblown or not isn't worth a 5 or 6 year investment at 15 a year.

I dont lay tonight completely at Bowles' feet. The effort from that defense tonight was putrid. Mo Wilkerson put forth a truly Haynesworth-esqe effort. I imagine its tough to keep the defense motivated when they know that the offense can't keep them in game. Maybe if Revis was still playing at a high level it might make a difference, but probably not.

Anyways, as it ties in to us, Bowles is not going anywhere, as is Barry.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

We're in the same position as every other team in the NFL in terms of rejecting a player looking for Von Miller money without being Von Miller. The alleged rumors of his level of effort whether overblown or not isn't worth a 5 or 6 year investment at 15 a year.

Asking versus getting. You say 15 matter of factly. It seems Schefter was the only one I can find who ran with that rumor. The Pats beat reporter only went as high as 11M.

And I don't know if that number of 11M wasn't just the end of contract backloaded max or not. I doubt 11M was the starting base. Certainly our crew would dance the base and bonus around, as per necessary, I'm sure. 

The game tape is all that matters to me when I'm trying to determine effort. The other behind the scenes stuff, I'll never have access to it, so I can't even try to quantify it. Of the other FA LBs in this year's crop, there are very few, dare I say none, that have his natural pass defending skills. He isn't perfect, to be sure.

But he has tape supporting a multifaceted player: blitzer, edge rush, stack ILB, coverage skills and pursuit. Touching a lot of diverse aspects per his skill. Getting effort, motivation, that's what coaches are for.

To me he's one of the most talented guys. That's what talent acquisition is about. I don't do contracts analysis. To me they are anathema to actual football. But it's pro sports, so they are integral. 

23 minutes ago, squatch66 said:

Anyways, as it ties in to us, Bowles is not going anywhere, as is Barry.

Bowles in year 2 of a four year deal, with the first season being fairly successful. Conservative thinking gives him at least year 3, but generally a hot seat year. 

I can see that. 

Archived