Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Haiti had sent 15,000 people. They “all have AIDS,” he grumbled, according to one person who attended the meeting and another person who was briefed about it by a different person who was there.

Forty thousand had come from Nigeria, Mr. Trump added. Once they had seen the United States, they would never “go back to their huts” in Africa, recalled the two officials, who asked for anonymity to discuss a sensitive conversation in the Oval Office.

Miss me with that "we want immigrants who came here the right way" nonsense.

I'd love to put twa in a medically induced coma for a decade then wake him up to get his opinion on what the morally and ethically correct decision of recent political controverises would have been without him knowing whether it was a republican or democrat who was involved. It would be good fun watching him squirm.

@Jumbo, any chance the APA would give us a grant for something like that? In case anyone questions whether that would be a violation of human rights or invasion of privacy, you could vouch for his posting history being evidence of implied consent. He's clearly been asking for it.

If releasing them with their promise to show up for hearings worked we would not be here.

I much prefer that(cheaper and easier for all involved), but then I also prefer they not arrive uninvited.

You would find me fairly consistent Sacks, tis good to see morality and ethics being important to folk now .....even if they are selective 

3 hours ago, twa said:

You would find me fairly consistent Sacks, tis good to see morality and ethics being important to folk now .....even if they are selective 

Oh for sure. I totally haven't noticed you 100% of the time defending the right and 100% of the time criticizing the left, even if it's for the exact same thing. I'm pretty stupid though. You might not want to try that on more intelligent people.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Alright, show of hands.  How many people actually read the article?

The Trump administration is considering a plan to separate parents from their children when families are caught entering the country illegally, according to officials who have been briefed on the plans. The forceful move is meant to discourage border crossings, but immigrant groups have denounced it as draconian and inhumane.

Under current policy, families are kept intact while awaiting a decision on whether they will be deported; they are either held in special family detention centers or released with a court date. The policy under discussion would send parents to adult detention facilities, while their children would be placed in shelters designed for juveniles or with a “sponsor,” who could be a relative in the United States, though the administration may also tighten rules on sponsors.

Previous administrations have stopped short of resorting to policies like family separation, because of concerns that it could force people into the hands of dangerous smugglers who sell themselves as a way to evade the Border Patrol, or force people with legitimate claims for asylum to remain in life-threatening situations in their home countries.

One of those parents, José Fuentes, presented himself to immigration officers at the border, along with his 1-year-old son Mateo, to claim asylum in November. The family had fled El Salvador with a caravan of asylum seekers because of gang violence, said Mr. Fuentes’s wife, Olivia Acevedo.

After four days of being held in custody together, Mr. Fuentes was transferred to a detention facility more than 1,000 miles away, in San Diego, Calif., while their son was held in a facility for children in Laredo, Tex.

We can't do catch and release to south of the border because there are people with legitimate claims to asylum whose only means of reaching the US is by illegally crossing the border.  I think this problem requires a combination of prima facie/speedy process for asylum seekers, policy of detaining all asylum seekers until such determination is made, and releasing all others back at the south of the border.  I get the problem the administration is trying to address (that basically everyone claims asylum when caught crossing the border and hopes that they are the lucky ones who gets released with a court date).  I would also support a policy where we have all undocumented immigrants be required to either register with the gov't and/or establish some other evidence of presence by a date (1/1/2017 or some other random date in the past) and say we'll do something for these people in the future (do your job Congress) and everyone else, it's the hard boot.  Combine that with an actual reform of the immigration system where people can abide by the law and more easily immigrate here legally (or do a merit point system like other countries). 

• Like 1