Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage - 2015 Redskins Training Camp Coverage - July 31 - PM

JimmiJo

ES Coverage - 2015 Redskins Training Camp Coverage

7/31/15

post-123563-0-15330500-1438363305.jpg

Greetings everyone! JimmiJo here, back to start my 10th season covering this Washington Redskins. 

The skies are clear to begin in Richmond. The weather so far moderate, and it appears a beautiful day to watch practice.

Fans are already out, jockeying for the best view possible. I was told there appear to be fewer this morning. This could be due to the natural ebb after the first open day of camp. It could also be that fans have caught on that the morning session is a walk thru and that the real action begins in the afternoon.

I am here to try and get a sense of the new players and the mood of the team. Like everyone else I will look at the quarterback in search of signs of progress and growth. It seems, based on the tidbits of coverage I have been getting that much if not most of the media have arrived at my glum outlook behind center.

Is it possible Griffin once again electrifies us as he did in 2012? I don't think he can. He is not as quick as he was then and defenses learned how to defend the zone read. So to succeed, he will need to become a pro-style quarterback. And to be clear, and so I am not accused of speaking in "code;" what this means is learn to drop back, scan the defense, and make good decisions with the ball.

He didn't do this last year while healthy. I hope he learns to this year.

But lest you think my overall outlook is dour, fear not. For the first time in a loooong time this team is making good decisions. I loved the addition of Scot McCloughan. Ditto Bill Callahan, and not too mad about Joe Barry, though he wasn't my first choice. 

I was very pleased with both free agency and the draft. The team focused on the defense and I expect it to be considerably improved. Guys like Preston Smith, Terrence Knighton, Stephen Paea, Chris Culliver, and Jeron Johnson excite me. I hope to see signs of improvement today.

Then there's Brandon Sherff. I wonder if he practices as nasty as they say he plays? I saw some video of head coach Jay Gruden bemoaning false starts yesterday. Hopefully they are more disciplined today.

Feel free to post questions. I will do my best to answer. I promise I will NOT see everything and be able to answer everyone. But will try.

You may follow me on twitter @Skinscast.

Let's have some fun.

Morning Session

Just wrapped up the morning walk-thru. These are conducted in shirts and shorts. No contact to speak of so I cannot really tell you much about the football.

The team played a lot of 11-on-11 practice and unlike previous camps, there was virtually no rotation of quarterbacks. This was different from practically every practice I recall in camp. Griffin took all the snaps with the 1st team. 

I was speaking to another reporter who remarked how Gruden is speaking in more positive terms of Griffin and how he is willing to give Griffin credit without having to add something about the other quarterbacks. I added to this to say the team has made it a point to give him all the love in the world this year.

He is the unchallenged starter of the team. His option year has been picked up. The coaches are being encouraging in their comments of him. It is as if every impediment to him succeeding has been taken away. 

Still, I don't believe his leash is any longer than if these things are not the case. I think he has six games to show big improvement. Less than that if they start 1-3 and he is playing like last year.

With all that said, Griffin made one very nice play, hitting Logan Paulsen who was tightly covered by Ryan Kerrigan. Unfortunately, that is the end of the highlights. Too many plays he held the ball well longer than live action would have afforded him. Whether this was from the coverage of an improved defense, or more indecisiveness I do not know.

We just had Terrance Knighton at the podium. He is a funny, personable guy. Best-friend Chris Baker stopped in to ask a few questions of his own. It was a funny moment and no-doubt you will see highlights on the news later.

Two things struck me about Knighton's comments. One was how described the level of professionalism and expectation he observed from Peyton Manning in Denver. He said Manning had very high expectations for himself AND the locker room. Knighton said he described this to Griffin and perhaps, Griffin will look to emulate.

The other thing is that they have named the defense; Capital Punishment. Knighton said the defense does on-line group chats and it was in one of these sessions that Jason Hatcher suggested it.

Interesting that a very subpar defense from last season would name themselves before a single snap has occurred. But this belays the amount of confidence this defense has - mostly based on the talented players they've brought in.

Speaking of which, I heard a few players speak to the possibility of Junior Galette coming. They said anytime you can add major talent like his it is a good thing. Jeron Johnson was one of the players I asked about this. But even without Galette he believes there is a lot of talent here.

I asked him if coming to Washington is his chance to step from the shadows of great safeties as they have in Seattle and make a name for himself. He said yes. He told me it felt good to get the call from McCloughan, who knows him well, to come to Washington.

Another player I spoke with was Chris Culliver. I asked him if he expected to start here. He said he hopes to but there is great talent in both DeAngelo Hall and Baushad Breeland. Speaking of the latter, he is suspended the first game of the year due to marijuana possession last season. 

That's it from the morning session. The afternoon session will be more about football.

Stand by...

Update

The team has signed Junior Galette.

Afternoon

Hard to think Bashaud Breeland could have had a worse day. First, the NFL announced a one-game suspension for last year's marijuana charge. No big deal you say? Only one game? It is 1/16 of his annual salary. 

But then, he planted to cut on 1-on-1 drills and it is reported he heard a pop and went down, holding his leg. David Amerson said after practice he heard it might not be as bad a first feared. The unofficial word is "being evaluated." I guess we will find out tomorrow but here's hoping for a fast recovery.

In any case you hate to see a guy injured just the second day of camp. Especially your starting corner.

The football was ok this afternoon, with both highlights and lowlights. I will give you a list below but I'm sure you want to first hear about quarterbacks and then other standouts. I will do my best to give you a quick rundown featuring both.

The quarterbacks had a mixed day, doing both good and bad things. Griffin had the most highlights most of practice until the end, when Kirk Cousins made two impressive throws to finish very strong.

I would say Griffin with Cousins a close second. Colt McCoy had a very unspectacular day, over throwing guys consistently early on and doing little later on.

Other than that, I would say Chris Thompson seemed to make the most plays. But this is what he has done every year - have a strong camp then end up hurt. If he can stay healthy good things can happen for him, here or elsewhere.

- Chris Culliver had a very strong pass defend on Pierre Garcon during 1-on-1 drills

- Andre Roberts got past David Amerson and made a spectacular flying catch deep on the sidelines. Griffin was the QB

- Amerson came back strong, draping himself on Garcon, who reeled in the ball on the comeback route

- "I can't help you if you don't listen!" - DBs coach Perry Fewell to Tevin Mitchel after Mitchel was victimized by by Evan Spencer

- A crease opened on the right side during 11-on-11s and Chris Thompson was gone

- Linebacker Dyshawn Davis did well to shed the block of Brandon Sherff to make what would have been the tackle

- DeSean Jackson was all alone in the corner and Jeron Johnson was holding up his hands as if to say; "Was that my guy?"

- Griffin did well to move laterally and find Jamison Crowder on a crossing pattern

- Trenton Robinson showed impressive closing speed to collapse on tight end Jeron Hamm and break up the catch

- Kirk Cousins hit Garcon on a deep sideline route, who made the spinning catch

- Brandon Scherff was schooled by Ryan Kerrigan during 11-on-11s when Kerrigan feinted right, then took the inside lane to the quarterback

- Scherff recovered well, manhandling Kerrigan on the next play, which was a rush right

- Jason Hatcher next obviously sacked Griffin from the left

- Two sacks in four plays

- Running Back and draft pick Matt Jones with a nifty stop and go downfield in traffic

- Silas Redd did well to get by the first level of the defense, but he didn't mark Duke Ihenacho who came from behind and forced the fumble

- Roberts with an impressive fingertip grab

- Terrance Knighton blew up the pocket, pushing it back towards Griffin, who in turn slid right and hit Crowder on a crossing pattern

- Kirk Cousins showed real zip as he riffled the ball to Garcon on a comeback

- Play of the Day - Kirk Cousins hit Crowder on the sidelines for the bomb TD

Ok folks, have to wrap up and head north. I had planned to be here all weekend but like intervened and it looks like this may be the only day I am here.

A lot of news today, with the Breeland suspension then injury, and of course the Galette signing. Which, for the record I love.

Getting a guy with his production for league minimum and rights for next year is a terrific deal. I understand the off-field concerns. But you nor I was in the room and we don't know the details. But that talent at that price is too good to be true.

I had a blast as always. I look forward to game coverage this year. 

post-123563-0-15330500-1438363305_thumb.jpg

Give it time.   Robert will bounce back.   Not Probowl status, but he will perform.   This is a driven man who I truly beloves love the game and has the talent.   The second guessing is going to be behind him.   Callahan's line is going to create opportunties for Gruden to call plays that will better utilize Robert's skills and talent.    The kid is still a very good QB, despite all the people who claim he's a bust, doomed, etc.   I believe in Robert and I believe in this new era.   Watch out for our new and improved defense.   I know I will have questions about Matt Jones, Jamison Crowder, Trent Murphy and Keenan Robinson's progression.   Thank you in advance!

The Junior Galette deal appears to be an awesome deal for the Redskins. Basically a bag of donuts and rights to next year if he does well.

Go get 'em, JJ!  B)

Good to see you out of rehab again.  :ph34r:

I can fake good behavior with the best of 'em when I have to!

Seriously, nice write-up for such an early offering. :)

And I admire the way you go right to the big topic--especially as loopy and biased (in pro and con directions) as many on ES are when it comes to Robert.

May the Force be with you in your endeavors. Of course, we've got your back (which means you should never relax :P). 

This really should be an informative year about the team as a whole, above all else.

Too many plays he held the ball well longer than live action would have afforded him. Whether this was from the coverage of an improved defense, or more indecisiveness I do not know.

Really, this is what it is about.  Can RG quickly and consistently read NFL defenses?  Up until this point he has not demonstrated that he can.  I just have less confidence than others that the light bulb will come on.  I do like that they are giving him every opportunity to show that he can, however.

I live here and worked the camp the first 2 years. I went to today's PM practice.

I was shocked at how small the crowd was compared to previous years considering it was a Fri afternoon and the weather was beautiful for late July in Richmond (read: no humidity).

It did start to fill in after 4 but even then there was room on the hill and along the rope line.

I'm curious if the novelty is starting to wear off for "locals" because it seems that everyone I talk to around here says the same thing (not sure they are going to this year, maybe go once, etc.).

I suspect next weekend will be heavy with the Texans in town.

Great afternoon review/additions , JJ.  :)

Whats up with Breeland not sure why that thread got locked.

So what?  ;)  ^_^

If you're really interested, you might figure it out by reading the rules on starting threads as opposed to posting on your lack of understanding.  :D

But for the latest info you can always check Hap & Swfl's indefatigable twitter thread. B)

http://es.redskins.com/topic/390888-the-submitted-ones-2015-official-camp-twitter-thread-the-will-to-win-on-the-field-starts-now/

Excellent write up.  Thanks for all the hard work. 

I was at practice today. I would definitely say Sherff is a horse when run blocking (I noticed the play when he bulldozed Kerrigan on the sweep right). However, he needs a lot of work on his pass blocking.  A couple other things I noticed:

*Trying to block Potroast is like blocking a tree.  He doesn't get moved.

*T. Murphy is going to have a good year.  He is faster, more explosive, and obviously stronger than last year. 

*Jamison Crowder is quick.

*Amerson seemed to have a little swagger back.

Can anybody tell me how busy a camp day is? Is it like super busy and need to fight for a spot. Or is itmore relaxed. Just people hanging around. Space enough.

There was room for all today. This weekend should be a bit busier since it is the weekend but still very much worth the trip. They have a good layout down there.

Excellent write up.  Thanks for all the hard work. 

I was at practice today. I would definitely say Sherff is a horse when run blocking (I noticed the play when he bulldozed Kerrigan on the sweep right). However, he needs a lot of work on his pass blocking.  A couple other things I noticed:

*Trying to block Potroast is like blocking a tree.  He doesn't get moved.

*T. Murphy is going to have a good year.  He is faster, more explosive, and obviously stronger than last year. 

*Jamison Crowder is quick.

*Amerson seemed to have a little swagger back.

Good insight. I agree your insight though I didn't see enough of Murphy to gauge. I was hoping to speak with him after practice but had to get the write-up in and on the road.

Archived