Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports: The all-time NFL power rankings -- of the Super Bowl era

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25141830/all-time-nfl-power-rankings-for-all-32-franchises

What makes a great NFL team? Super Bowl championships, for starters. That's why Lombardi Trophies receive most of the attention as part of a formula we've devised in order to rank all 32 active teams from most to least accomplished.

Based on Super Bowl wins, Super Bowl appearances, Hall of Famers produced, division titles and all-time modern-era regular-season records, we've put together comprehensive yet extremely disputable power rankings covering the first 49 years of the Super Bowl era.

The criteria (points)

• Super Bowl wins (10 each)
  • Super Bowl losses (5 each)
  • Hall of Famers (3 each)
  • Division titles (1 each)
  • All-time winning percentage (points are the reserve of their Super Bowl-era ranking)

* For teams that haven't been around since 1966, the first four point tallies are prorated for 49 seasons.

The rankings ...

(#1 is irrelevant, no need to list it...)

2. Pittsburgh Steelers (161 points)

3. San Francisco 49ers (129 points)

4. Oakland Raiders (126 points)

5. Green Bay Packers (124 points)

6. New England Patriots (112 points)

7. Washington Redskins (108 points)

• Super Bowl wins: 30
  • Super Bowl losses: 10
  • Hall of Famers: 39
  • Division titles: 8
  • All-time winning percentage: 21

They haven't done much of late, but the Redskins have produced 13 Hall of Famers in the Super Bowl era and have been to five Super Bowls, winning three.

13. New York Giants (89 points)

• Super Bowl wins: 40
  • Super Bowl losses: 5
  • Hall of Famers: 21
  • Division titles: 8
  • All-time winning percentage: 15

About a handful of teams are neck-and-neck here, with the Giants taking a hit because they don't fare well in any modern-day categories except Super Bowl wins. Now, that's the most important category, which is why it is weighted that way, but that's not enough to make up for inferior results to Minnesota, Miami, Indy and Denver in all or most of the other fields. And keep in mind this isn't about what you've done for me lately.

21. Philadelphia Eagles (43 points)

• Super Bowl wins: 0
  • Super Bowl losses: 10
  • Hall of Famers: 6
  • Division titles: 9
  • All-time winning percentage: 18

Reggie White and Bob Brown are their only two modern-day Hall of Famers, they've lost both Super Bowls they've played in and they're only 14 games over .500 during the Super Bowl era. Just a meager team.

You'd probably have to go over how the Hall of Famers are counted carefully.  Both Huff and Mitchell's careers barely touched the Super Bowl era, as did GP Marshall's ownership.  Allen did a great job as coach here but his preceding years with the Rams were also instrumental in him getting to Canton. 

How is a player like Deion counted.....does he fall under the Falcons or the Cowboys?

All in all, its pretty amazing that the Skins still rank just outside the top 10 in winning percentage in the past 50 years, given the total crap sandwich this team has been since 1993. 

I'm annoyed just thinking about where the Redskins would be on this list in 1993.

We should be a bit higher up just on HOFers. The 80's Redskins have been woefully underrepresented. There are probably at least three more players who should be in and several that deserve consideration.

Have you done the math on that? Because it seems we'd be close to the 9ers at least.

Just did a review of select teams that I thought had sustained runs for at least a portion of the period between 1966 (first SB year) and the end of 1992. Each team played 400 regular season games in those 27 seasons.

Raiders were indeed top dog, at 263-130-7.

Cowboys next at 257-141-2.

Skins (245-149-6) and Dolphins (246-152-2) pretty close.

Rams were 238-155-7.

Vikings were 228-166-6.

Niners were 222-170-8.

Steelers 214-182-4.

Edit: Figured I'd torture myself more and look at select teams in the next 22 seasons (1993-2014, 352 games):

Pats 234-118

Steelers 220-132

Packers 215-137

Broncos 212-140

Colts 209-143

Eagles 193-158-1

49ers 193-159

Cowboys 192-160

Giants 184-167-1

Redskins 144-207-1 :o

I freely admit that I'm bias when it comes to the Redskins. But none of these list seem to give credit to the Redskins for winning their Super Bowls when the NFC East was by far the toughest division in football & they never mention the fact that the 49ers of the 1980s played in the weakest division in football. BTW I hate the fact that most people act like football didn't exist before the Super Bowls.

Its amazing to see the Raiders at #4.  That shows you just how good they were back in the day, to be 4th after being so bad for the last decade.

In terms of overall regular season record, the Raiders have actually won only one less game than the Redskins since 1993, at 143-209. They did have the nice three year run from 2000-2002 with Gruden (and then our current OL coach!), but that's depressing.

I remember that Sunday night 7-7 tie the first year in Landover, hanging out before the game in one of the end zone bars where you could actually see the field. Some dude was complaining, calling Jack Kent Cooke's corpse unmentionable names because his seats at the new stadium were a lot higher than the ones he had at RFK.  But all in all, it felt pretty good to be in the new digs.

Next season will be FedEx's 19th.  RFK had to wait until its 12th season to host playoff games, and then had to wait another 10 years for the next one, but then hosted 10 playoff games from the 1982 season to the 1991 season. FedEx has hosted two wild-card round games, one following the '99 season and the other following the '12 season.

Tying into the recent talk of the new stadium.......I don't see us being at FedEx much longer than 2020-21.  Is it possible that the stadium will never host a divisional round or conference championship round game?

I'd be curious to see the rankings with strength of schedule as a factor.

I remember some brutal stretches of games against top teams 4-5 weeks straight, and still came out on the upper end, most of the time.

This is CBS Sports we're talking about, so their "analysis" is only going to go as deep as Kate Moss' navel.

Strength of schedule, margin of victory and defeat in each game corresponding with the strength of opponent, records set at that time, all far, far more important than who won the HOF popularity contest. 

Archived