Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

tell the truth--- how much weight did you pack on this winter?

mcsluggo

packing on the tonnage?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. what is your weight gain (or loss) since autumn?

• I lost 10 or more pounds
    • i lost 1 to 9 pounds
    • pretty much stayed the same
    • i gained 1 to 9 pounds
    • i gained more than 10 pounds

This year has been good for me.

About a years ago when I was pushing 180 pounds. I am a skinny 5'10 guy and had a lot of extra pounds in the gut. Diabetes runs in my family and I noticed my blood sugar creeping up at a yearly check-up. Nothing bad or to be worried about but I figured be pro-active.

I always thought I ate "healthy" - but I took a hard look at my diet and realized I was eating an insane about of simple carbs. I never ate fast food and cooked a ton -  but pasta, bread, potatoes, rice were a huge part of meals.

Reduced those carbs significantly (not paleo, but just limited) and the weight really started to drop instantly. Slowly started running again and now up to running about 10-12 miles a week.

By this winter I was about 164. Now I at about 153. I think my sweet spot is 150-155. I should start to mix in a bit of strength training, but hard to find the time.

One of my issues is that i don't drink enough water, drink a lot of milk and nothing else.  Some days i would maybe drink 1 or 2 glasses of water and maybe 1 glass of milk and thats all i had to drink all day.  I think thats why my stomach looks bloated. 

Drink water. Seriously. I was just like you. Then one Texas summer I got my first kidney stone. Most likely it was from dehydration. Worst pain of my life for weeks. They say it rivals giving birth. I ended up having surgery and paying thousands of dollars in bills. 

So.... drink water.  :lol:

• 6 months later...

i couldn;t find the BMI thread... so parking this here instead....

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/summer-of-science-2015/latest/how-often-is-bmi-misleading?WT.mc_id=2015-SEPTEMBER-FB-MC4-AUD_DEV-0901-0930&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK

AUGUST 28, 2015 ---- NY times

How Often Is B.M.I. Misleading?

We were struck by the massive response to our post on how it’s possible for individuals to have the same B.M.I. but very different bodies.

Readers told us about their muscles, and about being overweight according to B.M.I. though their body fat percentage was low and their body type was similar toperson three. Some wondered for howmany people B.M.I. is an incorrect indicator.

About 18 percent, says data from the Centers for Disease Control.....

<more at link>

bodyfat-bmi-jumbo-v2.png

"Overweight" on the BMI scale doesn't mean fat and isn't necessarily associated with negative health.

But when you fall in the obese range >30 you are likely increasing negative health consequences, unless there are special circumstance (such as training ten+ hours a week and building abnormal muscle mass, or leanness for those who are underweight.)

So how many people in that chart have healthy fat levels and are classified as obsese by BMI?

Body fat 21.4
BMI 25.8

Guess I'm healthy obese...

Nope. You're marginally "overweight" according to statistics of the population as a whole. A little above average muscle mass would account for that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. BMI is not a medical diagnossis. It's a very simple and cheap screening tool. It's takes a few seconds to measure height and weight and, boom, you have a data point. If you are significantly heavier, or lighter, the doc can move onto more "advanced" screening such as looking at how muscular you are, or an actual fat measurement using calipers or other tools.

If anyone is paying higher insurance rates because they have a BMI of 25.8, they need to find another insurance company.

"Overweight" on the BMI scale doesn't mean fat and isn't necessarily associated with negative health.

But when you fall in the obese range >30 you are likely increasing negative health consequences, unless there are special circumstance (such as training ten+ hours a week and building abnormal muscle mass, or leanness for those who are underweight.)

So how many people in that chart have healthy fat levels and are classified as obsese by BMI?

Nope. You're marginally "overweight" according to statistics of the population as a whole. A little above average muscle mass would account for that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. BMI is not a medical diagnossis. It's a very simple and cheap screening tool. It's takes a few seconds to measure height and weight and, boom, you have a data point. If you are significantly heavier, or lighter, the doc can move onto more "advanced" screening such as looking at how muscular you are, or an actual fat measurement using calipers or other tools.

If anyone is paying higher insurance rates because they have a BMI of 25.8, they need to find another insurance company.

according to the chart:  12%

according to internet self reporting:  87%

Normal (18.5 to 24.9)
A normal adult weight for this height is between 144.1-194.7 lbs

i am 6'2"  (rounded up ;) )... and my 178 pounds is fairly near the top of the normal range.

on the other hand, 145 pounds is still in the "normal" range..... that seems a bit Skeletor-ish

(note.. i was 145ish pounds for quite a while when i was in my 20s... i was a twig!)

I've actually lost 16 pounds in the past 13 days.  Here's the secret to my success.

1.  Move houses.  But not a complete move.  The new place isn't quite dog ready yet, so the wife stays at the old house with the dogs, while you basically single parent the two children for 10 days.

2. After shuttling the kids off to daycare/school, spend all day packing and hauling boxes.  Your breakfast was a Starbucks drink and sandwich on the go.  You forgot to eat lunch.

3.  Eat a sensible dinner.  You stepmom is helping out and she makes much more balanced meals than you do, so you're actually eating right.

4. Go for long 4-5 miles walk/runs (mostly walks) at night after the kids are in bed to distress and avoid ramming your car into a God damn bridge abutment!

Trust me, this works very well.  It probably isn't sustainable, but it works.

It probably isn't sustainable, but it works.

Losing 16 pounds every 13 days almost certainly isn't sustainable.

But the healthy eating and more exercise might be.

(note.. i was 145ish pounds for quite a while when i was in my 20s... i was a twig!)

But I bet no-one asked you if you had cancer. If you dropped back to 145 now folks would be hosting a telethon for you.

What is the best way to find out body fat percentage? I have a fancy scale that supposedly gives me a body fat % - but honestly not sure how accurate that thing can really be.

This is the scale I have - http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Capacity-Recognition-Technology/dp/B004L6NTHU/ref=br_lf_m_1001415581_1_1_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&pf_rd_p=2201937302&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1001415581&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BDY43J651GTJTK8SK5F

How about since you got married? 

i got married as a near infant... so its not a fair scale ;)

-----but for the record, i probably weigh about 40 pound more than i did when i got married,,,,, and about 30 pounds of that NEEDED to be gained.  But i've used up all my slack......

• 6 months later...

last summer i didn't lose as much as usual, and this winter i didn't gain as much as usual.... so i am about 185.  same as this time last year.

we have a beach house the last week in June.  I look better at 170 .....  we'll see how it turns out ....... ;)

Woof, don't like this bump. I was maintaining my weight around 152-155lb, relatively trim and in good cardio shape. Injured my toe on 12/30 and that kept me from the gym for about 3 weeks. Then basically as soon as I'm back, my son was born 1/22. I've struggled to maintain regular gym attendance (I'm a morning guy) ever since.

I'm hovering around 165 now and need to pick my workouts back up (plus cutting back on beer) or it will probably continue to rise.

I think so. I don't weigh myself often.

The good news is that I'm at a point where I can run about 75 minutes (at the gym) fairly easily. I combo that without about 300 crunches and some dumb bell work. The bad news is that I think I should lose about 20 lbs.

Archived