Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Film Breakdown: RG3 vs Cousins vs McCoy (400+ GIFs)

thehbrwhammer

http://nflbreakdowns.com/redskins-qb-comparison-rg3-cousins-mccoy/

This article reviews the season performance of RG3, Cousins, McCoy individually and then compares the three based on Accuracy, Pocket Presence, Decision-Making, Arm Strength and Anticipation.
Note: Over 400+ GIFs were created and analyzed for this article

Pretty good break down. Don't think anything in there is earth shattering to people that have been watching the team all season.

All 3 QBs do some things nicely and do some bad things. If we could combined all 3 into 1, we'd be set.

Think RG3 gives us the best chance going forward, but Cousins certainly deserves a chance too. Which is why I thought it was weird he never really got another chance after RG3 was benched. Would have rather seen more Cousins than McCoy. To me, McCoy is a nice backup, but not a guy you want starting. I still believe in RG3 and think he's our starter next season.

Nothing really new to my eyes, still a lot of but still great pile of info (and opinion in the commentary) gathered together. If nothing else, it will give the obvious mental cases another place to frolic, which is good for the other threads. Now they have two play-pens and at least this one has pictures to keep them busy. Might keep a few from getting banned. Might get a few banned. Could be closed at any time. It's an adventure!

Hell, it might even get some actual (not agenda-driven) football discussion---nah.  ^_^

But I can dream.  :lol:

For me, one of the bigger slaps in the face last season, was figuring what KC could possibly be (and this has nothing to do with Robert, mental cases), seeing it manifest a bit, and then watching what seemed like pure head-collapse. I do wonder what the future holds for him, overall.

First off, that's awesome and much appreciated but man, a lot of work to get to what we already know ... this team is not very good and none of the three guys distinguished themselves.

McCoy is a journeyman, career backup that played great in one game in Dallas.

Griffin dislocated his ankle in Week 2, let us not forget and overall had a bad season.

Cousins is not as good as Griffin and has already blown two great chances to win the starting spot. Kid can't win a game to save his life and he lost his spot to Colt McCoy...

Cousins and Griffin are still young guys learning the position ... maybe one or both make "the jump" next year, maybe not.

Most likely Griffin, 100% healthy with a better grasp of the playbook, will win the competition in camp and he and the team will struggle again because ...

we-suck_zps0ycq1vxy.gif

Griffin won't be retained, Cousins will and be the backup to whoever they bring in for 2016.

For me, one of the bigger slaps in the face last season, was figuring what KC could possibly be (and this has nothing to do with Robert, mental cases), seeing it manifest a bit, and then watching what seemed like pure head-collapse. I do wonder what the future holds for him, overall.

Agreed. I still don't know why he never got another shot. I was upset with the Griffin benching, but it would have made more sense to me to go back to Cousins than to McCoy. We all know what McCoy is, a journeyman backup that can be decent in spots. But Cosuins is still largely unknown. We saw some flashes of good play from him and then some flashes of total meltdown. He, like Griffin, seems to be more hindered by the mental aspect of the game moreso than the physical aspect.

I think one of those 2 (Griffin or Cousins) will be here and the other will be gone next season.

See I disagree with your final assessment. Cousins has the skill-set if he can clean up his turnovers. Griffin, if he can develop his progressions, and he actually did a good job in the beginning of the season, could be competitive as well.

I think both could be starting quarterbacks on an offense that features 4 good play-makers (Jackson, Garcon, Reed, Roberts (sometimes)). We have the offensive talent to be great even with an average-above-average QB.

If RG3 took chances we could be explosive but he's so hesitant.

We need to fix the offensive line, get bigger bodies in pass protection, and then fix our defense and either Cousins or Griffin could lead us deep if we gave them a team to support them.

People keep making arguments that we NEED a peyton manning/andrew luck style QB. We really don't need a top 5 QB to be successful. Flacco is a 6-10 type player and with a good defense and good oline we could be like them with potential to be more.

Matt, even if I had no other information to work from, my default would not be "Gruden is just that stupid" (always a possibility, though, with any human) but I do wonder about Kirk. I can speculate easily enough on other possibilities and reasons, but none offer any solace. 

Matt, even if I had no other information to work from, my default would not be "Gruden is just that stupid" (always a possibility, though, with any human) but I do wonder about Kirk. I can speculate easily enough on other possibilities and reasons, but none offer any solace. 

You have to wonder if the coaching staff just thinks Kirk is to fragile mentally. He does seem to let the mistakes weigh on him which leads to more turnovers. I've always compared him to Grossman because he does have that gun slinger mentallity, but he's also a turnover machine. If Kirk could limit turnovers, he'll have a nice career in a good system.

I think the thing with both Griffin and Cousins is their mistakes seem fixable. Griffin needs to trust his WRs more and believe his eyes. Cousins just needs to be more patient and maybe trust his arm a little less. Combined, they would make a terrific QB.

A quite reasonable (and succinct) assessment, Matt. The one thing about Robert that I worry about, but gets comparatively little play v the other themes, is that vague matter we call "fragility" or "injury prone." It's a serious concern to me, but it's such a difficult matter to assess/discuss with any real meaning. Not that "real meaning" has ever been a consistent standard for most discussions on these QB-centric issues.  :D

The offseason is for blather and pontification! It is the time of dreams and nightmares between faded glimpses of reality.

Then it's off-season here 365.   :lol:

A quite reasonable (and succinct) assessment, Matt. The one thing about Robert that I worry about, but gets comparatively little play v the other themes, is that vague matter we call "fragility" or "injury prone." It's a serious concern to me, but it's such a difficult matter to assess/discuss with any real meaning. Not that "real meaning" has ever been a consistent standard for most discussions on these QB-centric issues.  :D

I don't always buy the injury prone mark on him. Sure he gets hit alot more than most QBs, but his injuries haven't really been the result of hits. The ACL injury came on a freak drop back in the pocket. The disloacted ankle came on a rollout where he was just running. So, yes, he gets hurt, but these are injuries that are recurring.

To me, injury prone is someone like Jordan Reed. He seems to always have nagging injuries that keep him out for awhile. Nothing ever serious, but enough to keep him out.

Of course I consider all of that and more, and I agree about Reed. I'll add that my concern would not affect how I think we go forward at this point--it's just a concern, if ya get me.

One thing that's tough---if you're going to have an open QB comp, you need to have a scheme that tests/shows each QB, strengths/weaknesses effectively and asap, because as we get to the season opener, you can't really be tailoring your offense to fully suit both RG3 supporters, oops, I mean RG3, and KC supporters (dammit, did it again). ^_^  

Cousins is not as good as Griffin

Is that what you see in the gifs, or are you saying that based on 2012?

The only reason some people still think RG3 can be an NFL starter is because Snyder/Shanahan gave up three firsts and a second for him.  If he'd been a third round pick, nobody outside our fanbase would even remember his name.  He'd be "that running QB who had a great rookie season, but got hurt at the end and was worthless afterwards".

Interesting angle to contemplate, Tsaliand---what difference might there be in many fans' takes of Robert today if he was just an exciting/hopeful prospect we drafted even late in the first round with no trades.

Total projection just based on my knowledge of human behavior, but I think there would likely be notably less patience and support (not saying such is right or wrong here) among his more fervent supporters today.

Interesting angle to contemplate, Tsaliand---what difference might there be in many fans' takes of Robert today if he was just an exciting/hopeful prospect we drafted even late in the first round with no trades.

Total projection just based on my knowledge of human behavior, but I think there would likely be notably less patience and support (not saying such is right or wrong here) among his more fervent supporters today.

Hell, I wonder if ppl would defend him if he didn't have the cult of personality deal going for him. He's a likeable guy and doesn't do dumb **** off the field. That buys a lot of rope with fans.

Me personally? I care about results. He could be doing 8 balls of coke off of the asses of strippers for all I care if he was good lol

Is that what you see in the gifs, or are you saying that based on 2012?

Based on everything.

Why do people defend Cousins? What leg do they stand on? The picks? The horrible record? The "beta" attitude? Real head scratcher for me.

Griffin will beat him in camp, like a drum and he still has a long way to go, says a TON about Cousins to me.

Based on everything.

Why do people defend Cousins? What leg do they stand on? The picks? The horrible record? The "beta" attitude? Real head scratcher for me.

Griffin will beat him in camp, like a drum and he still has a long way to go, says a TON about Cousins to me.

Being as though RG3 rarely wins and turns the ball over as well , it's kind of a case of **** vs crap.

So true - I was on the Cousins bandwagon following the Eagles game.  Then it call came crashing down in spectacular fashion.  Oy!

Hell, I wonder if ppl would defend him if he didn't have the cult of personality deal going for him. He's a likeable guy and doesn't do dumb **** off the field. That buys a lot of rope with fans.

Me personally? I care about results. He could be doing 8 balls of coke off of the asses of strippers for all I care if he was good lol

Guess you need to recalibrate your moral compass :)

KC has 9 career starts.  Seems an awfully small sample size to label him as a "turnover machine" and all this other stuff.  He's started barely over a half of a season, played some great games, and some poor ones.  I don't know a QB who hasn't gone through that.  I hope he and RG get to have a legit battle for the job--i think that helps out both.

Archived