Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN980: Could Jay Really Be One-and-Done?

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Folks, we don't know the locker room.  Look at the RG3 punting alone bit.  It leads to comments on how the locker room must be a lonely place for him.  The theorizing within just shows how much is guess work.  For all we know it's the exact opposite.  The locker room could be all backslaps and you'll work it outs.  And sometimes when you're frustrated or pissed at yourself  you want to be allowed to feel that way.

I just wish people would stop acting like they knew things.  Admit that we're guessing here folks

I do agree, I think sometimes we like to believe or think we know what is going on inside the organization, when in truth, most of us are just fans who read stories and follow ES.

I did read the story about RG3 punting alone and honestly, no matter how you feel about his play on the field, it has to take a toll on him personally to hear some of the things said, which is unfortunate as I do believe he is a genuinely good person.

We need to stay the course.  Continuity is king -- and there is some talent here, we just need time to gel.  

There is ZERO excuses to be the among the worst offenses in the league when you have all stars Djax, Garcon, Reed, Roberts on your team. They had a offseason and 13 games to gel.

The one talent Gruden was to bring here was coaching QBs. Right now, QB position is the worst I've ever it. All 3 QBs look lost.

I'm done staying any course. It's pissing in the wind here.

We need to stay the course.  Continuity is king -- and there is some talent here, we just need time to gel.  

I'm all for continuity if we're seeing progess. However, we aren't. Why stay the course when the current course doesn't appear to be leading anywhere?

The most

Alarming thing is the fact this team is regressing all over the field. And that is on coaching.

Yup agree 100%.

Since the bye week, we've been outscored by a combined 70 points. An average of 17.5ppg.

Before the bye week, we were outscored by a combined 68 points in our losses. An average of 11.3 ppg.

We were losing before the bye week, but we were in every game but the Giants game. In the 4 games since the bye, we've only been in the 49ers game. This team is a sinking ship.

There are a few players who have played well.

DJax

Kory L

Keenan Robinson.

Trent (before injury)

Tress Way

That's about it.

No unit has played well together at all.

Give it up.  RG3 guys are not about to credit anyone with success.  Cousins played well for a guy of his experience. The linebackers and D-Line have played well enough.  Alfred Morris is still on pace for 1100 yards rushing. 

Give it up.  RG3 guys are not about to credit anyone with success.  Cousins played well for a guy of his experience. The linebackers and D-Line have played well enough.  Alfred Morris is still on pace for 1100 yards rushing. 

Cousins had more INTs in the 5 games he played this year than RG3 had his entire rookie season. Yes, young QBs make mistakes, but having multiple 4 INT games, does not mean a QB is playing well no matter how you slice it.

Robinson and Kerrigan have played well for the LBs and that's it. Riley hasn't been good and Murphy seems to be getting better, but it's still early on him. The DL has been good against the run, but there's no pressure on the QB unless we're blitzing.

I'll give you Alf, it's been a down year for him, but it hasn't been all his fault that Gruden just abandons the run.

But still, out of the 22 guys on offense and defense, we only have a handful that have really had any impacts this season. That's not very good.

Give it up. RG3 guys are not about to credit anyone with success. Cousins played well for a guy of his experience. The linebackers and D-Line have played well enough. Alfred Morris is still on pace for 1100 yards rushing.

Not sure what I'm giving up. I was responding to a post that said the only thing that worked was punting.

Just added that a few other guys did well.

For the record, I forgot Kerrigan. Kerrigan and Keenan Robinson have fine well.

The DL has not.

The running game has sucked, regardless if Alfs numbers. (Love Alf. Not really his fault. Mostly TE and OL) related.

I disagree with not having the talent. There is talent on this team.

Offense:

Morris, Helu Jr., D Jax, Reed, Garcon, Williams, Paul (most games when given opportunities), Center, roberts has shown flashes at times. Offense really needs 3 new OL and 1 QB to be very good. OL can either be the young players on the team now combined with Draft and FA and QB can be from open competition with who we have or maybe a FA. Offense has shown to be VERY good when it is clicking.

Defense:

Baker, Jenkins, Hatcher, Kerrigan, Murphy (getting better and will be a solid OLB), Robinson, Amerson (still young and improving), Breeland. Defense needs another DL, ILB and absolutely needs safeties.

There are some young players on the roster who have shown promise. With a good draft and offseason to fill some specific holes things next year could be much better.

Maybe I am an optimist, however, I think this team is not as far away from being competitive to very good next year.

He will not be one and done.  There will be significant changes but Gruden will be the one making them.  To start with...a real OC, he thought (or the front office wanted) to have Gruden as OC but have a token OC in McVay.  Didnt work and was too much for Gruden.  New OC and a new DC.

There is ZERO excuses to be the among the worst offenses in the league when you have all stars Djax, Garcon, Reed, Roberts on your team. They had a offseason and 13 games to gel.

The one talent Gruden was to bring here was coaching QBs. Right now, QB position is the worst I've ever it. All 3 QBs look lost.

I'm done staying any course. It's pissing in the wind here.

Weren't we expected to be a top 5 offense or something in the offseason? Coaching, QB, and Oline effed it all up.

Cousins had more INTs in the 5 games he played this year than RG3 had his entire rookie season. Yes, young QBs make mistakes, but having multiple 4 INT games, does not mean a QB is playing well no matter how you slice it.

Yes, Cousins had some bad games, however, I would take his bad games along with his good over RG3. RG3 has 2 (that is correct......2!!) TDs in 4 games started this entire year. Cousins was on pace to throw more than 30TDs this year. RG3 averages .3 TDs per game, that is equal to about 8-10 for the year. I understand the INTs, however, those can be correctable. If we drafted Peyton Manning, some fans would have been calling for his head after his first season (26 total INTs), before anyone jumps on the read between the lines crap, I am not saying Cousins is the next Peyton, I am saying his INTs can be corrected.

Yes, Cousins had some bad games, however, I would take his bad games along with his good over RG3. RG3 has 2 (that is correct......2!!) TDs in 4 games started this entire year. Cousins was on pace to throw more than 30TDs this year. RG3 averages .3 TDs per game, that is equal to about 8-10 for the year. I understand the INTs, however, those can be correctable. If we drafted Peyton Manning, some fans would have been calling for his head after his first season (26 total INTs), before anyone jumps on the read between the lines crap, I am not saying Cousins is the next Peyton, I am saying his INTs can be corrected.

Sure they can, but you don't think RG3's problems can be corrected? He's played 4 games under Gruden. No, Griffin hasn't played well this year, but he's really only had 2 bad games. The other 2 were decent, nothing special, but not terrible. So why so quick to throw in te towel?

Robinson and Kerrigan have played well for the LBs and that's it. Riley hasn't been good and Murphy seems to be getting better, but it's still early on him. The DL has been good against the run, but there's no pressure on the QB unless we're blitzing.

I'll give you Alf, it's been a down year for him, but it hasn't been all his fault that Gruden just abandons the run.

But still, out of the 22 guys on offense and defense, we only have a handful that have really had any impacts this season. That's not very good.

Kirks INTs in games are 0,1,4,0,3,1.  2 bad games and everyone goes chicken little on the guy, while ignoring TD games 2,3,1,2,2,0 and yardage totals that are in the stratosphere.

D Line has been strong against the run.  Run defense leads league in forced fumbles.  Mid pack on sacks with 32.  Beat up and young secondary has gotten toasted for sure. The cupboard is far from bare.

Actually no he wasn't. Kirks pace was tailing off big time with each start however his interceptions were jumping off the charts. If we're talking about "on pace" stats than let's include the fact that he was on pace for 30+ turnovers.

Very good article. There are three games left. There is still time left for Gruden to show a glimmer of hope. There is still talent on this team at places. But, sadly this team has regressed since week 1.  If this team gets embarrassed for the second time by the Giants who are a very, very bad football team. I think that you have to look to make major changes in all coaching positions in the offseason. We then have two home games against division opponents. If we get blown out twice at home this could get extremely ugly.   I actually feel bad for Jay he seems like a very likeable guy that was put into a very bad position.  I personally  think to keep his job Jay is going to have to win one more game this season

dude. RG3 has nothing to do with this.

RG3 could be cut tomorrow and I would still want Gruden fired. He is not a good coach.

Thats fine if you still want Jay fired, but don't believe the blame (from the outside) will not be put on RG3 being Snyders and Allens choice over the HC.

You and I will have to agree to disagree.

Sure they can, but you don't think RG3's problems can be corrected? He's played 4 games under Gruden. No, Griffin hasn't played well this year, but he's really only had 2 bad games. The other 2 were decent, nothing special, but not terrible. So why so quick to throw in te towel?

No, I do not think RG3's problems can be corrected (maybe long term, but now we are talking about a multi year project). Yes, he has played 4 games, however, this is the 2nd coach in 2 years who has benched him for the same reason. Jay has worked with him for over a year now and there is zero progression from last year. I am not opposed to keeping RG3 though, sometimes, the light bulb comes on and players start to see things, I am just not convinced RG3 will be able to overcome his flaws. I am not a QB expert though and could be totally wrong. Not the first time I have been wrong, just ask my wife!

Thats fine if you still want Jay fired, but don't believe the blame (from the outside) will not be put on RG3 being Snyders and Allens choice over the HC.

You and I will have to agree to disagree.

I don't think you realize that most of us that are okay with Gruden being fired fully expect RGIII to be traded this offseason.

No, I do not think RG3's problems can be corrected (maybe long term, but now we are talking about a multi year project). Yes, he has played 4 games, however, this is the 2nd coach in 2 years who has benched him for the same reason. Jay has worked with him for over a year now and there is zero progression from last year. I am not opposed to keeping RG3 though, sometimes, the light bulb comes on and players start to see things, I am just not convinced RG3 will be able to overcome his flaws. I am not a QB expert though and could be totally wrong. Not the first time I have been wrong, just ask my wife!

Jay has worked with him for over a year now? How is that possible?

Jay has worked with him for over a year now? How is that possible?

Damn dude, you gonna sharp shoot every little thing. Jay has worked with RG almost a year and has seen EXACTLY what Mike Shannahan and Kyle Shannahan seen last year. I am sure Jay has watched Film on him, worked with him, watched him in OTAs, Mini Camps, Training Camps, Preseason, etc and has not seen any progression. If you would like, I can break it down to how many days Jay has been the HC and how much time he may have been working with him.

I don't think you realize that most of us that are okay with Gruden being fired fully expect RGIII to be traded this offseason.

That is probably a true statement.

So you fire him after 1 year? Like I said, that is the easy answer, 

Firing a guy after a year is not the easy answer, it's the stupid answer. It's the thing that perennially dysfunctional organizations do . Firing the coach after one year just makes it that much harder to get quality talent in the organization. The only reason why people are seriously discussing it is because fanbases tend to take on the personality of their owners (they have to - since they have no power, cognitive dissonance drives them towards justifying their owner. It's called adaptive preferences). 

Damn dude, you gonna sharp shoot every little thing. Jay has worked with RG almost a year and has seen EXACTLY what Mike Shannahan and Kyle Shannahan seen last year. I am sure Jay has watched Film on him, worked with him, watched him in OTAs, Mini Camps, Training Camps, Preseason, etc and has not seen any progression. If you would like, I can break it down to how many days Jay has been the HC and how much time he may have been working with him.

That is probably a true statement.

I doubt it's a true statement.  And what about the period where RG3 was stuck rehabbing his ankle 

Firing a guy after a year is not the easy answer, it's the stupid answer. It's the thing that perennially dysfunctional organizations do . Firing the coach after one year just makes it that much harder to get quality talent in the organization. The only reason why people are seriously discussing it is because fanbases tend to take on the personality of their owners (they have to - since they have no power, cognitive dissonance drives them towards justifying their owner. It's called adaptive preferences).

So in three seasons from now when Gruden is still failing, the team is still making the same mistakes and looks like an undisciplined mess what will be your excuse then?

Archived