Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Perry Riley Jr, We Have a Different Mindset

MustangSteve

Once a soft-spoken rookie playing alongside Washington Redskins legendary linebacker London Fletcher,Perry Riley Jr.icon-article-link.gif has become one of the veteran leaders on a defense loaded with potential.

Registering 244 tackles – including a team-high 115 in 2013 -- and 6.5 sacks over the last two seasons, Riley Jr. is one of the more consistent players on a unit that features flashy assets like lethal pass-rushersJason Hatchericon-article-link.gif and Brian Orakpo and aggressive ballhawks  DeAngelo Hall and Brandon Meriweather

But while Riley Jr. hit several benchmarks during the 2013 season and really solidified himself at the Jack linebacker role, the defense as a whole struggled to contain opponents.

After going through several frustrating end results last season, Riley Jr. said the Redskins' defensive mindset entering the 2014 season is drastically different.

This unit is hungry -- and ready to prove it.

“Schematically (it’s) the same defense, I would say the only difference is out mindset,” Riley Jr. said. “We have a different mindset going into this year. We’re going to be a defense that’s going to be feared. We (weren't) that way last year, and it wasn’t acceptable. “We’re going to bring the pain. We’re going to do the hittin’.”

Click link for rest http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Perry-Riley-Jr-We-Have-A-Different-Mindset/9bc6b699-0f30-47ae-934e-3ffac2c51751

It is time for this Defense to shine! This core group has been here 4 years and added quality players to fill weaknesses. They are due! Last season I swore our Defense was hitting top 10 rank and dayum did we suck. This season is different fans! There is a special feeling about this team, this Offense and Defense, even Special teams, we are going to make some noise this season and I will tell you why. Because it's pre freaking season and during this time, we are the baddest dayum team in the entire world!

I completely believe it. I really think our defense and running game will be monsters this year.

Our passing game and improved ST play will be icing on a delicious cake.

If our Defense plays lights out, it will be on this season! We will not only take this Division back by storm, but we will be a legit Super Bowl contender. Go out and do it Defense, Hail to the Redskins!

I'm sorry but I just don't see it.  You can't turn a chicken into a lion.  Mentality?  Unfortunately that doesn't win ball games.  Tackling, turnovers, and the like do.  These players know that they are the same unit largely and will likely struggle again this year.  As an athlete, I know who can and can't beat me.  We still have gaping holes on D.  

What else are they going to say publicly though?  Also, they're led by a middle of the road (at best) failure of a defensive coordinator.....recipe for disaster= marginal talent + oft-failure of a coach.  That said, at least they added depth albeit marginally talented depth.    

You have to have the ability to compete with the best offenses.  We don't have that personnel on the defensive side of the ball to do that.  We have largely the same people at key positions.  I'm not expecting vast improvement.  Middle of the road would shock me and I'd be happy with a total defense ranking somewhere in the middle.  

If our Defense plays lights out, it will be on this season! We will not only take this Division back by storm, but we will be a legit Super Bowl contender. Go out and do it Defense, Hail to the Redskins!

Absolutely. I think we've taken the right steps after last years hiccup. I believe we will dominate this season.

We have to hope our defense can come in around #10 in the league. We won't be elite under any circumstance, IMO, but we could be more active and hopefully healthy. 

Either way, I just can't get Philly and Green Bay out of my head from last year. We weren't just destroyed, it was worse than that. Those teams operated with more space than I think I've ever seen in the NFL. Want a 10 yard hitch? Take it. That's wide open. Want a deep ball? Sure, go for it. 

That was likely a talent issue to a large degree, but I think it had a ton to do with coaching. I want to believe that Haslett wasn't the problem, but I simply can't believe that until we perform. X's and O's are fine, but execution requires knowledge of details and accountability at the same detailed level.

Hopefully the new HC and assistants have changed our entire approach so we're better able to execute. 

It's funny you say this.  When I was coaching defense on my kids youth teams, they would all say the same thing.  "that kid isn't good..."  "we don't have any true ballers...".  I told them, "...I will give them the confidence to change that..".  It took a few games, but some my softest defenders, ended up being game changers in key games.   So...does the mental aspect of the game make a difference?  Absolutely.   If you walk on the football field feeling inferior (like I think we did last season), then you will play inferior.   If you walk on the field with confidence and maintain confidence it's makes a huge difference.   I saw that confidence in the first preseason game.  Preseason or not, I just saw something different.    Gang tackling.  Getting after ball carriers instead of all of the watching defenders would do last year.   Your opinion, but I disagree.   Also, when you know your defense coordinators handa are tied, it takes away from your confidence in him.   Which is probably another reason (outside of lack of talent), that our D was so horrid last season.  The brakes have been taken off of Has this season and I think his defense is going to play very well for him.  For us.   HAIL!!!

I'm sorry but I just don't see it.  You can't turn a chicken into a lion.  Mentality?  Unfortunately that doesn't win ball games.  Tackling, turnovers, and the like do.  These players know that they are the same unit largely and will likely struggle again this year.  As an athlete, I know who can and can't beat me.  We still have gaping holes on D.  

What else are they going to say publicly though?  Also, they're led by a middle of the road (at best) failure of a defensive coordinator.....recipe for disaster= marginal talent + oft-failure of a coach.  That said, at least they added depth albeit marginally talented depth.    

You have to have the ability to compete with the best offenses.  We don't have that personnel on the defensive side of the ball to do that.  We have largely the same people at key positions.  I'm not expecting vast improvement.  Middle of the road would shock me and I'd be happy with a total defense ranking somewhere in the middle.  

I'm sorry but I just don't see it.  You can't turn a chicken into a lion.  

Yep, you can. 

Panthers Defensive Rankings: 

2011 - 28th

2012 - 10th

2013 - 2nd

In 2011 they were chickens, in 2013 they were lions. 

Kuechly is real, real good, HE AIN'T THAT GOOD. The team as a whole turned a corner, why can't this D do it? There is some talent. 

Let's not get started with the Saints ... they went from dead last defense in 2013 to fourth in the league last year.  FOURTH BEST DEFENSE. 

Yep, you can. 

Panthers Defensive Rankings: 

2011 - 28th

2012 - 10th

2013 - 2nd

In 2011 they were chickens, in 2013 they were lions. 

Kuechly is good, HE AIN'T THAT GOOD. The team as a whole turned a corner, why can't this D do it? There is some talent. 

Let's not get started with the Saints ... they went from dead last in 2013 to fourth in the league last year.  FOURTH BEST DEFENSE. 

You have to separate the personnel from the coordinator (scheme). Didn`t the Saints have a new OC last year. What about the Panthers.

I`m surprised that no one, thus far, has brought up the most glaringly obvious point made in the article. There has been no schematic changes.

So the only difference between this defense and last years.... is a ``different mindset``. So Haslett disassociated himself from Shanahan... and sold the Redskins brass... on being retained because Shanahan suppressed his ability to incorporate a certain mindset!!!

And are we even sure that Haslett is the catalyst of any change in their mindset.... as opposed to the addition of Ryan Clark or Jason Hatcher!!

It hasn`t all added up yet.

I`m prepared to let it play out this year... and was even pleasantly surprised last week... but Haz has a very short leash with me. And I`ll be relieved one way or the other, by the end of this season.

A little FYI. I'm coming hard this year when it comes to the 'skins.

What took ya so long! :-)

Riley: "We’re going to be a defense that’s going to be feared"

OK, maybe better than last year... and that's fine... but our defenses have never been feared for the last 23 years. In fact, for many opposing offenses... just the opposite. If talk = production, then we've got something.

This starting Defense played solid tonight, good job for sure, but the Browns might want to bench both Hoyer and Manziel and start sexy Rexy. Our preseason test will come next week against the Ravens, starters will play for 3 quarters. Shut them down to 3 points and things will start to get interesting.

It does look like our defense is going to be good.  They do look hungry and motivated.  I love seeing them swarm to the ball.  We haven't seen the D swarm to the ball since Gregg Williams.

That's a fact! This Defense is starting to look like a solid unit, but in 2 games they haven't really been tested yet, no Tom Brady week 1 and the Browns can't decide who their starting QB is. Next week will be a great test, Flacco and the Ravens have scored 60 points in the last 2 games, let's see how our Defense does against an elite QB and team.

You have to separate the personnel from the coordinator (scheme). Didn`t the Saints have a new OC last year. What about the Panthers.

Just researched, Panthers/Mcdermott been there 4 years, Saints/rob ryan is on second year. But i get it, Haz is on year 5, not a lot of progress. I

Archived