Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Perry Riley Jr, We Have a Different Mindset

MustangSteve

I'm sorry but I just don't see it.  You can't turn a chicken into a lion.  Mentality?  Unfortunately that doesn't win ball games.  Tackling, turnovers, and the like do.  These players know that they are the same unit largely and will likely struggle again this year.  As an athlete, I know who can and can't beat me.  We still have gaping holes on D.  

What else are they going to say publicly though?  Also, they're led by a middle of the road (at best) failure of a defensive coordinator.....recipe for disaster= marginal talent + oft-failure of a coach.  That said, at least they added depth albeit marginally talented depth.    

You have to have the ability to compete with the best offenses.  We don't have that personnel on the defensive side of the ball to do that.  We have largely the same people at key positions.  I'm not expecting vast improvement.  Middle of the road would shock me and I'd be happy with a total defense ranking somewhere in the middle.  

But what if it were a lion being told it was a chicken before it finally realized it was a lion after all...plot twist

It's funny you say this.  When I was coaching defense on my kids youth teams, they would all say the same thing.  "that kid isn't good..."  "we don't have any true ballers...".  I told them, "...I will give them the confidence to change that..".  It took a few games, but some my softest defenders, ended up being game changers in key games.   So...does the mental aspect of the game make a difference?  Absolutely.   If you walk on the football field feeling inferior (like I think we did last season), then you will play inferior.   If you walk on the field with confidence and maintain confidence it's makes a huge difference.   I saw that confidence in the first preseason game.  Preseason or not, I just saw something different.    Gang tackling.  Getting after ball carriers instead of all of the watching defenders would do last year.   Your opinion, but I disagree.   Also, when you know your defense coordinators handa are tied, it takes away from your confidence in him.   Which is probably another reason (outside of lack of talent), that our D was so horrid last season.  The brakes have been taken off of Has this season and I think his defense is going to play very well for him.  For us.   HAIL!!!

This right up here ^, Attitude is everything! How many times have we seen just 1 season make a difference to a team or unit like night and day. One season the same unit and players are at the bottom of the league, and the very next season they look like world beaters, like a switch was turned on. With the additions added to this Defense that has been a core group 4 years this season, that switch could very well be turned on this season.

Look at some of the players on this defense starting to step up in only 2 games. We are starting to see a different look and feel about this Defense, and the confidence of these players will start showing in their play and as a unit. Their best test will be this Saturday against the Ravens, we will see the starters for maybe 3 quarters, and the Ravens have racked up 60 points in their last 2 games against Sanfran and Dallas. This should give us a good idea as of where we stand on defense.

I gotta say, through 2 pre-season games, the defense looks a little more pumped up.  I hope they can keep it up.   

Unlike some, I'm more than willing to give up a big play every now and then if you're constantly attacking, and creating havoc on a regular basis for the opposing offense.  Ideally, you wouldn't give up the play down by 6 with 30 seconds left, but, if they are blitzing, pressing, and every so often they get beat? Eh, cost of doing business.  

I'm the homer type, so I'll always go cup half full.  But honestly, LoudMouth makes an valid point.  And diehardskinpsoup has made a valid counterpoint.  And the fellas that say it has to be proven are certainly right.

My take:

Yes, it's too early to start the best-in-the-league talk.  After all, we did face a no Tom Brady New England & a headless Cleveland (whatever they do at QB won't matter.  With that kind of passing, they're in for a long year).  

That said, what I do like is the stepped up physical play of the unit.  They look plenty aggressive to me, AND the tackling looks miles ahead of where it was last year -- Maybe the practices in pads had something to do with it?  Anyhow, I also like seeing the commitment to gang tackling.  If these tackling traits become a theme this year, half of our Defensive issues are solved.  

All told, I'm willing to give Riley's "we have a different mindset" thing the benefit of the doubt.  Let's just hope its not a mirage in Division Play.

After last preseason, going 4-0 and looking pretty damn good UNTIL it actually mattered, I'm not holding my breath. It's Haslett running the defense. We'll see what happens when the games start to count and coaches actually gameplan against us. Until then, I'm not really impressed with the defense.

"Do not fear the army of wolves lead by the sheep, fear the army of sheep lead by Wolves"-Bray Wyatt

Same players (for the most part) from last year's mees of a D, but the unit does look a bit improved (I know, preseason and no real QBs have challenged them yet). But the fundamental errors from last year seem to be getting fixed. Hell, look at the improvement in Rambo's game as an example. If they believe themselves to be better, maybe they will be. Mind over matter.

"Do not fear the army of wolves lead by the sheep, fear the army of sheep lead by Wolves"-Bray Wyatt

Same players (for the most part) from last year's mees of a D, but the unit does look a bit improved (I know, preseason and no real QBs have challenged them yet). But the fundamental errors from last year seem to be getting fixed. Hell, look at the improvement in Rambo's game as an example. If they believe themselves to be better, maybe they will be. Mind over matter.

I'll second that.  In fact, there was a post John Keim wrote about two weeks (or so) about Gruden making a commitment to being a physical team.  I liked what I read then & have liked what I've seen in the pre-season.  The Skins should be a physical bunch this year.  But yes, I'm willing to believe that the D can have a turnaround year--nothing too crazy, but shooting for the top 15 isn't an unreasonable goal for the unit.

As always, I remain tentatively optimistic about our prospects this season.

It's funny you say this.  When I was coaching defense on my kids youth teams, they would all say the same thing.  "that kid isn't good..."  "we don't have any true ballers...".  I told them, "...I will give them the confidence to change that..".  It took a few games, but some my softest defenders, ended up being game changers in key games.   So...does the mental aspect of the game make a difference?  Absolutely.   If you walk on the football field feeling inferior (like I think we did last season), then you will play inferior.   If you walk on the field with confidence and maintain confidence it's makes a huge difference.   I saw that confidence in the first preseason game.  Preseason or not, I just saw something different.    Gang tackling.  Getting after ball carriers instead of all of the watching defenders would do last year.   Your opinion, but I disagree.   Also, when you know your defense coordinators handa are tied, it takes away from your confidence in him.   Which is probably another reason (outside of lack of talent), that our D was so horrid last season.  The brakes have been taken off of Has this season and I think his defense is going to play very well for him.  For us.   HAIL!!!

Of course confidence makes a difference but I think he is just saying it will only do so much for you considering the talent that we have on this team.  What were we 28 ranked?  We could be 18-20 range at best but if you think about it we have only added Hatcher, Grant, and Robinson.  Some could say Hatcher may be only the true upgrade and he's not totally healthy now.  I coached youth football too, it makes a difference at those ages DRASTICALLY but these are men, you will not get much an improvement of significance just with confidence alone.  Hell, these are the same guys that don't even elevate their play for HOME GAMES...yet alone London Fletcher's last game!!

In regards to Haslett, he has no excuses if he was the coach.  If he wasn't calling the plays or making the game plan some weeks his job is to make sure he COACHES...the players to perform at the best of their ability in whatever scheme they are in.  He had been with Mike Shanahan for 4 years so if he knew Mike loved to play zone (maybe not a strength) then his job was to make sure his D executed zone from OTA's until they improved.   I remember a game where Josh Wilson (not healthy at the time smh!)  was getting repeatedly burned time and time again.  Haslet and Raheem Morris failed to give him help or failed to replace him.  He just kept him in there!  Thats on him!  Nobody cannot blame Mike Shanahan for that.

Archived