Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**The great battle for 2nd-3rd string RB**

End2round2sanders

Let me say this once and for all.  **** Silas Redd.  I won't wish a devastating injury on the guy, but I hope he is cut, has no career, and has to do something else with his life.

It's well known I'm a Penn State fan.  It's also well known that I was disgusted with the NCAA for the way the recent scandal was handled, some of the penalties which punished the players on the current team rather then the school at large.  I'm not going to get into it here or start a threadjack argument about it, but I very much disagreed.  One of them was the open transfer rule, that any player on Penn State could go anywhere they wanted without having to sit out a year, basically giving every other coach an open season on the roster.

Well, most of the kids, especially the stars/starters behaved with honor and didn't abandon ship and their teammates.  There were 15 transfers total, most of them backups who didn't have much of a chance of cracking the two-deep.  Only three major players left.  One was the kicker,Anthony Fera, and he transferred to Texas to be closer to his mother who had been diagnosed with cancer.  Totally understandable, and I wish him well.  The second was Justin Brown, our #1 (projected) receiver who left for Oklahoma.  I didn't like that, but I can almost understand it in some ways.  Penn State was notoriously a run first-run second team, Brown had just 75 catches over the past two seasons, and Oklahoma threw a lot more.  Brown had a good senior season and got drafted well.  I have no harsh feelings towards him but also don't give a fig if he has any success.

Silas Redd though...he was second team all Big 10, had just run for 1,250 yards, and was poised to be a star.  He made it clear that he had no loyalty and went running to Lane Kiffin's (of all people) arms out at USC.  Left a gaping hole in the depth chart, gave up what you would presume would be the inside track on one or two all big ten seasons and a chance to play for Bill O'Brien.

So he has to split time, play for Lane Kiffin, and still manages to do okay, 900 yards and 10 total TD's.  Then for injuries and whatever other reason, gets less than 400 and a single TD his senior year.  I don't know exactly what happened because I didn't want to bother reading about him, I had to look up the stats just now.  And you know what, **** him, he's the biggest turncoat of them all.  At least Fera and Brown had the courtesy to agonize over the decision, and give great reasons (in Fera's case) and understandable ones (in Brown's case) while maintaining that they'd always bleed blue and white inside.  Redd went tittering and tap-dancing away like a 12 year old girl at a One Direction concert and never looked back.  I'm glad his college career flamed out, and I was disgusted that we picked him up as a UDFA.  I wish him zero success.

Okay, my threadjack rant is over.  None of our runners except Royster is anything close to a Morris clone, and Royster isn't that talented.  I'd keep Helu and one of Thompson/Seastrunk, and stick the other guy on the practice squad if you can get him there.

Oh, and **** Silas Redd.  Did I mention that already?

I know somebody who knows him and he left because he wanted to be able to play in a BCS bowl game, that was always his #1 goal. Why are you mad at a kid for transferring to accomplish his goal? Other players transferred like you said because their goal was to play and they were backups. Well Redd is a starter his goal isn't just to start it's to win a BCS bowl and Penn ST didn't give him that opportunity so he left.

I can see fans hating grown college coaches for turning their back on a team but these are college kids we're talking about. Lets say you were in his shoes and your one dream was to play in a BCS bowl you signed with Penn.St because you felt they could lead you to that then all of a sudden they get sanctions banning them from that because a guy on a coaching staff before you even knew what football was touched kids and hid the evidence. Are you going to leave and chase your dream to win a BCS bowl or are you going to stay loyal to a fanbase who wouldn't care about you if you weren't productive?

Looking back on the situation staying at Penn.St would have been the best thing for him but at the time USC was the preseason favorite to win a BCS national championship and that was Silas Redd's #1 goal, he never cared about stats or sharing carries he just wanted to be a champion for once. 

If you hate a kid you never met for pursuing his goals in his athletic career you seriously got some issues man lol 

I think Thompson and Royster don't make the roster.  I'm excited about the prospects of Seastrunk.  Catching passes out of the backfield isn't exactly challenging and they just don't do that at Baylor.  So I'm not too worried there.  Is a guy like Sproles really a great pass protector?  I don't ever hear anything about that, and he is certainly a threat.  Thats what I'd like to see from Lache.

Good thread as I think the RB slot has a lot of possibilities after Almo.

I have never been that high on Royster....agree with another poster that he is JAG.....   Helu is a little quicker, more elusive....but has health issues and I am not to high on him. 

CT and Seastrunk bring another dimension to the team at RB.  Speed.  Both have more speed than Helu. Think Gruden's recent comments on Seastrunk would probably support the fact that he will be around barring injury.  CT may be more of a reach.

I also think DY is an integral part of the offense....and do not think he gets cut....and I know he is a FB and not a RB. 

So....I would think Almo, probably Helu, Seastrunk and DY.  Adios Royster.  If CT impresses, maybe he supplants Helu.  But think Helu is in last year of contract.....so guess he will probably be around at least another season. 

I think group is all but set - Morris Helu And Seastrunk

Maybe there is a battle for the 3rd spot but suspect Thompson is on the outs. I doubt we keep 4 backs. Seastrunk just needs to hold the bumpkin and I think he takes it. 

I am intrigued about the long shot Redd, but predict he ends up on the practice squad after being our annual preseason RB stud that few knew about. And It's not just Shanahan that can find running backs.  

I have never once claimed my dislike for him was 100% rational.  I hope he enjoyed his 7-6 year, then the 10-4 year where he barely contributed.  I hope he enjoyed playing for that bastion of integrity, Lane Kiffin.

When the NCAA came down on the current Penn State players, every leader/big contributor on that team stepped up and said (not in these exact words) that the NCAA and Mark Emmert were full of ****, and that they weren't going to be broken.  And they'll be legends in State College for life for it, regardless of how their pro careers turn out.  And as far the NCAA goes, I'd note that some of Penn State's sanctions have been reduced with the potential for more to come (because the NCAA is full of ****), but that isn't the point of the thread.

All except one guy.  Yes, I'd prefer no one had transferred and that a collective, giant middle finger was extended to the NCAA from the current team (and only them, Sandusky can rot in hell for all I care) but most of the backups who left had no real shot at cracking the chart and went to places they could play.  That happens all the time in the college game though there's usually the one year sit out period.  The three bigger guns that left, one left because of his mothers illness.  Another left because Penn State didn't pass much.  I didn't like that one either, but he at least went out of his way to praise the team, the fanbase, the school...and he graduated with a Penn State degree despite finishing at Oklahoma.

Then you have our RB hopeful.  Silas the Turncoat.  Benedict Redd.  I don't care if anyone's friend of a friend knows the guy, I don't want him on the team I root for.  Oooh, you wanted to play in a BCS bowl?  Horse****, he should have gone to Ohio State then.  I love Penn State but they've been to two BCS games since the inception of the BCS system; if that was his primary motivation he should have gone somewhere else.  I don't buy it.

To turn this back to the theme of the thread, I am pro-Morris, pro-Helu, and pro-Seastrunk.  If Royster can distinguish himself on special teams, then fine.  Thompson is a walking injury but if he brings speed to the table, then consider him.  That other guy whose name I don't want to speak anymore can't get cut soon enough.

I think we should get something straight here...I don't hate Silas Redd.  I think he's a turncoat and I don't want him on the Skins, or to have football related success.  That's as far as it goes; he can go on to become a billionaire in some other field for all I care.

When the other leaders on that team stood up and publicly told the NCAA "**** you, we're sticking together," Redd took off.  I don't respect that at all, but I do not wish him personal ill or devastating injuries or anything.  I just don't want him here, or anywhere else in the NFL for that matter because it would annoy me to no end if he joined another team and had a good game against us.

But putting all that aside, I can keep this about football and still not want him here since I watched him play for two seasons.  Silas Redd is not fast.  He's shifty as hell and has a few good juke moves, but it was rare that he ever truly broke away from a defense.  For comparison sake since he's also on the Skins he followed Evan Royster at Penn State.  He's probably a bit faster than Royster, but he's not nearly as fast as Helu or Thompson.  He's not the thumper that Morris or Royster are, which I know sounds odd to say as easily as we've seen Royster go down a few times, but in college, Royster could blast into a hole and knock people backward.

So you've got your classic tweener, which I don't think is a player we need.  I have no idea what his receiving skills are like, since Paterno's playbook was stuck in 1968 and passes were not the preferred method of offense.  Passing to the running back?  Pretty much unheard of.  Point is, I can't think of anything specific that Redd is the best at, out of all the RB's, unless he's some sort of all world 3rd down blocker.

I would leave Penn State too if I were in his position, and not because I wanted a bowl win but I wouldn't want to be associated with a team that harbors child molesters...not that it was the players fault but still,  eff Penn State!

I think Royster and Thompson are on the outside looking in. Redd is probably destined for the practice squad barring injuries to other running backs, which isn't unlikely considering this particular stable of backs excluding Morris. As of now, the backup position is Helu's to lose.

This is a great problem to have.

Our STARTER is a lock - who backs him up?

Helu, Seastrunk, and Thompson.

Royster will probably be that player that comes back and runs for 150+ on us just for releasing him......He has skill, but not the clutch running ability of Morris.  Nor does he have the speed of the other 3.

To me, he's just left out.

(Redd to PS)

I have never once claimed my dislike for him was 100% rational.  I hope he enjoyed his 7-6 year, then the 10-4 year where he barely contributed.  I hope he enjoyed playing for that bastion of integrity, Lane Kiffin.

When the NCAA came down on the current Penn State players, every leader/big contributor on that team stepped up and said (not in these exact words) that the NCAA and Mark Emmert were full of ****, and that they weren't going to be broken.  And they'll be legends in State College for life for it, regardless of how their pro careers turn out.  And as far the NCAA goes, I'd note that some of Penn State's sanctions have been reduced with the potential for more to come (because the NCAA is full of ****), but that isn't the point of the thread.

All except one guy.  Yes, I'd prefer no one had transferred and that a collective, giant middle finger was extended to the NCAA from the current team (and only them, Sandusky can rot in hell for all I care) but most of the backups who left had no real shot at cracking the chart and went to places they could play.  That happens all the time in the college game though there's usually the one year sit out period.  The three bigger guns that left, one left because of his mothers illness.  Another left because Penn State didn't pass much.  I didn't like that one either, but he at least went out of his way to praise the team, the fanbase, the school...and he graduated with a Penn State degree despite finishing at Oklahoma.

Then you have our RB hopeful.  Silas the Turncoat.  Benedict Redd.  I don't care if anyone's friend of a friend knows the guy, I don't want him on the team I root for.  Oooh, you wanted to play in a BCS bowl?  Horse****, he should have gone to Ohio State then.  I love Penn State but they've been to two BCS games since the inception of the BCS system; if that was his primary motivation he should have gone somewhere else.  I don't buy it.

To turn this back to the theme of the thread, I am pro-Morris, pro-Helu, and pro-Seastrunk.  If Royster can distinguish himself on special teams, then fine.  Thompson is a walking injury but if he brings speed to the table, then consider him.  That other guy whose name I don't want to speak anymore can't get cut soon enough.

You're not thinking rationally in regards to this subject, you're thinking like a biased penn state fan. If your aspirations were to win a BCS bowl game why in the world would you be on Penn State when they were dinged with sanctions for child molestation? So Silas Redd (The star of your program on offense at the time) should stay at Penn State to finish his last two seasons on a team hit full of sanctions that can't go to a BCS game even if they go undefeated?

You pointed out other players transferred because they couldn't crack the starting line up? Yes and that's because their aspirations was to be a starter and since that goal wasn't possible they transferred. Silas Redd was already a starter who was the star of the team his aspirations was to win a BCS Bowl game and when Penn State got hit with sanctions and could no longer achieve that he left. He went to USC because they were one of the favorites to win the BCS championship the year he transferred there and then Matt Barkley had a terrible season and they collapsed as a team and that's what put Lane Kiffin on the hot seat.

I still can't believe you hate him as a player because he made the decision that was best for him. If you should be mad at anyone you should be mad at your coaching staff for allowing a child molester to molest kids for years and not reporting it to the authorities and still allowing him to take children to penn state games. 

He initially went to Penn State because they are a running team which would allow him to play early and when JoePa (Football Royalty at the time) comes and recruits you and tells you what you can accomplish, you drop EVERYTHING and sign. Imagine JoePa coming to recruit you and the offense fits your style would you not sign? I know if Steve Spurrier (In his gator days lol) came to recruit me I would sign and cancel all my official visits. lol 

The kids that stayed at Penn State are legends? You kidding me? I'm familiar with the Penn State football program they only hold legendary status for winners, the two teams that stayed were not winners they were average football teams that will be forgotten in a year or two. 

You clearly know nothing about Penn State fans and how they value loyalty in general then.  The name Mike Mauti (he was the linebacker who stood up the tallest and spoke the loudest) will be remembered for decades, even if the team did only finish 8-4.  He's a Viking now, but regardless of his level of NFL success, he'll be remembered.  So will several others.

For what it's worth, I don't care for what the coaching staff did.  I was a Penn State fan who wasn't against letting Paterno go, I think it had to be done.  I also agreed with the fine...hell, I would have quadrupled it.  I just didn't agree with punishing the team itself, and as I've noted, the NCAA has removed some of the sanctions.  Supposedly because of Penn State's "compliance" but in truth, probably because they realized they overstepped their bounds and would lose a lawsuit.

If it makes you feel better, I have friends on Facebook who are also here on ES who are now gleefully sending me every Silas Redd story they can find just to annoy me.

Anyway, going back to the more football related post, putting my feelings aside, Silas Redd brings nothing to the table that someone else on the team can't do better.  Helu and Thompson are faster.  Morris and Royster hit holes harder and get tougher yards better than he does.  I have no idea what his blocking or pass catching skills are like compared to the others, so maybe that's his in, but as far as I ever observed, and compared to what we have, he's kind of a tweener, so I'm not sure what his role would be unless he's on special teams.

1. Morris

2. Helu

3. Royster

4. Seastrunk

I don't think Thompson makes it this year.

I know nothing about Seastrunk other than what this article says:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000353315/article/lache-seastrunk-i-feel-i-dont-have-any-weaknesses

It sounds like he has a lot to learn. I'm cautious about any player who says he doesn't have any weaknesses.

Via Rotoworld concerning Roy Helu. Take it for what its worth.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6593/roy-helu

July 3rd.

The Washington Post's Mike Jones believes the Redskins' third-down back position is "unsettled."

Roy Helu is the clear favorite, but Jones' tone suggests there is a real chance Chris Thompson beats him out in camp. Thompson is more dynamic than Helu, but has not stayed healthy since his sophomore college season and has yet to prove he has the pass protection skills to survive as a third-down back. Rookie Lache Seastrunk is also in the mix, but would have to show vast improvement both as a blocker and receiver. The odds are still squarely in Helu's favor, and he is worth a late-round flier as the passing-down back in Jay Gruden's offense.

Interesting take but it is rotoworld.

right now the only sure thing is Morris.

Helu is an almost sure thing also but a slight chance that Seastrunk/Redd/Thompson can push him. Royster has no chance in hell IMO unless he is incredible in preseason. Since we can stick anyone from the 3 in PS I would see us keeping all 3 of them with Morris, Helu and Seastrunk making the team and Redd/Thompson going to the practice squat if they both impress enough. Special teams comes into play also if any on of those 3 guys show promise as return men or something else.

2nd RB position is Helu's to lose. He's reliable and can do everything well enough, but it's questionable how many carries he could manage if Morris was out for a few games.

Royster looks expendable. Unlike Helu he doesn't offer anything different to Morris, so if Morris is healthy Royster is only useful on special teams, and he's not been good on special teams.

Thompson has the speed and the moves, but he wasn't good at blocking or protection last year, and there's plenty of competition on special teams for the returning roles. Plus he's been worryingly fragile.

Seastrunk we'll have to wait and see how he does in camp and pre-season; if he can't block any better than Thompson or he's no good on special teams then he'll be on the PS. If nothing else Seastrunk has an edge in that he's the new regime's draft pick.

No idea on where Redd is relative to the others, so I'd go with Morris, Helu, Seastrunk as #1,2,3.

• 1 month later...

Let me say this once and for all.  **** Silas Redd.  I won't wish a devastating injury on the guy, but I hope he is cut, has no career, and has to do something else with his life.

Oh, and **** Silas Redd.  Did I mention that already?

You must be happy with the final cuts. :)

Archived