Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is an example of why being a teacher really sucks...

codeorama

First, let me say that I love teaching.  Being a teacher really helps me as a single parent.  It also allows me to coach baseball.  

I'm a really good teacher.  My students love me.  I feel good.  Everyone in the school treats me like a king because I get the highest SOL scores and the students speak highly of me and have gone out of there way to show their appreciate on many many occasions by telling administrators etc..

So, 2 weeks ago, we had an incident in class.  I teach inclusion. I have a co-teacher and a teacher's assistant.  The co teacher and assistant are not as well liked because they are more old school.  They don't deal with the kids the same way I do.  So, the assistant catches 3 students cheating.  She discreetly goes up to one of the students and asks to see the paper he has.  She doesn't make a big deal over it because she's trying to correct the situation and get him to do what he's supposed to without writing him up.  He blows up, starts accusing her of getting in his face, won't give her the paper. She's basically like my grandmother. She's being nice, not yelling, just asking and he's screaming at her.  Finally, after this goes on for 2 minutes or so, she asks me for help. I walk over and ask, what's the problem. He says she's in his face. I say "She's not in your face, she's trying save you the trouble of getting written up for cheating".  Long story short, I have to ask him to leave the room because he won't calm down. He gets up and tries to push through me rather than walking around me, I don't give ground, I just laughed and said "Really? That's what you're going to do?"  So, Rather than pressing charges or escalating the situation, I took him to the dean and said this is what he did, I'm not making a big deal of it because I've never had any problems with him.

So, even though the incident took place in front of a class of 25 and 2 other adults, the parent can't accept it and goes downtown to the superintendent.  Nothing is happening to me. It just sucks.  No one has the balls to tell the parent the truth, raise your kid the right way and this wouldn't happen.  No accountability.  She believes her kids lies. She thinks everyone is lying except her son.  

What has the world come to?  There is a generation of kids that were born to kids and raised by grandparents.  Now, the parents are trying to raise the kids and they are trying more to be their friends because they don't know how to be parents.  The kids can't read, they can't write, but if you call them on it, you are an ass or even worse, racist.  I've seen similar situations happen and this is the first time I've been affected.  The other kids gave that student a hard time because he gave me a hard time.  That's the positive, there's a lot of good kids, but parents are really dropping the ball.

Sorry for the typos, can't find the edit button.

Cool post, thanks for sharing.  The pussification of America continues.  Hey parent, instead of trying to organize a march on the school system, why don't you discipline your own kid for being a spoiled little twerp.  You did the right thing in not giving ground.  screw that kid and his little ego.  Apparently his mom isn't teaching him respect or discipline, so you might as well do it.  The power of peer pressure and wanting to look "hard" in front of their classmates does wonders on teenagers.  For what my opinion is worth, you sound like a dedicated teacher who loves working with kids.  :)

My dad taught for 35 years in DCPS, he believed in humiliation.  he had what was known as the "Curly List."  he'd put a big picture of Curly from the three stooges outside his classroom, and anybody that didn't turn in a big paper, he'd put their name on the list below the picture for all to see LOL.

Happens all the time. Had a bible teacher (went up Christian school) catch a girl cheating one time. She tried to hide the cheat sheet in her purse and he dumped her purse out. She tried to fight him and he physically restrained her within in reason.

Long story short, her parents flipped the hell out and the teacher was gone for a few days even though he did nothing wrong

What has the world come to?  There is a generation of kids that were born to kids and raised by grandparents.  Now, the parents are trying to raise the kids and they are trying more to be their friends because they don't know how to be parents.  The kids can't read, they can't write, but if you call them on it, you are an ass or even worse, racist.  I've seen similar situations happen and this is the first time I've been affected.  The other kids gave that student a hard time because he gave me a hard time.  That's the positive, there's a lot of good kids, but parents are really dropping the ball.

The first thing that popped into my mind was...

explain-these-bad-grades.jpg

It's just about accountability man. My mother wasn't the smartest person, she barley finished high school. However, she was an excellent parent. She understood how important school was and that we better do our part when it comes to learning. If we brought home bad grades, she didn't punish us, beat us, yell at us.. she showed disappointment. She held us accountable and if we didn't respond to that accountability, our punishment was her disappointment. 

Some of the parents these days, well maybe most, but not all, aren't holding their children accountable. Now granted, I know their are some bad teachers out there, I had some this semester in college, but I still think it's the students responsibility to meet the teacher halfway in the student/teacher relationship. It's hard to teach somebody if they don't want to learn, it's even harder when the parents don't back you up.

I think much of it is because success is much more important than integrity in our society today.  It's more important to clear your kid of cheating so they have nothing on their record than for them to learn a life lesson.  But our education system drives that.  Who gets the scholarships and entrance into the best schools, the kids with the best test scores and grades, not the kids who have learned integrity through a couple of setbacks.

Youngchew, you are dead on. BTW, love the Curly List... I might have to steal that.

MLSkins... great post and yes, there are plenty of bad teachers.  I know there are some and that is sad, but the truth is, until they offer better pay, the good teachers are hard to come by because, who in their right mind wants to be a teacher?  If they want to fix it, someone has to speak the truth and call people on what it really is.

endzone-dave: dead one.  You are so right. Kids have no integrity which comes from their parents.

We watched 42 in class other day after SOL testing.  When the manager was suspended for cheating on his wife, many of the kids didn't understand. They were like "why is that a problem", that's his business. I stopped the movie and we had a discussion. I asked them, "How many of you have a gf/by?, are you ok with them cheating on you?"  Obviously, the answer was no.  They have no empathy, they can't put themselves in the position of others. Everything is me first.  That comes from home.

Supposed to be gf/bf... damn... too used to auto correct...

Geez. I remember hiding papers from school in 3rd grade from my parents that had "C" on them. I was personally ashamed at that age.

They found them and had that look of shame...no yelling or anything. I felt so stupid for not being more upfront about my situation.

Thankfully, I ended up with a pretty good GPA.  As I got older and some really tough classes to prove my worth, I did. Worked out as far as school and stuff.

code, regarding the better pay... I just saw something that was talking about how many teachers are leaving this area for better opportunities and pay.

I do feel that the education system is in for a shock though. H.S. is one thing but colleges ... I don't know that all of them will survive or get paid the same as they are ( relatively ) now. Online and trade schools would make sense for big companies to invest in. For example; Microsoft, Google, GM, etc.

I guess my generation was one of the last to go through the old school way of things.  If I misbehaved in class, the teacher took out their wooden paddle and spanked me.  If the teacher called my parents to tell them about my misbehaving in class, I'd get spanked by my Dad.  Is that even possible these days without social services or CPS getting involved lol?

Kosher, I was the same way.  Others were the same way in the past.  We were ashamed of not doing well.  Today, kids laugh about failing classes.  They don't care. Another big difference is that in the past, kids that didn't like school would either graduate to keep their parents off their back or drop out. Today, school is a social setting. They want to come, because their friends are here, but they don't want to work.  

I'm trying to teach them that whether they like school or not is besides the point.  You want to be successful in life.  Sometimes, life isn't easy but you have to make it work.

So many of the kids are so out of touch with reality.  I had a kid the other day tell me that he wasn't worried about school because he was going to the NBA.  I asked him, "So, you start and star for the Varsity squad?" (Knowing that the answer was no) and he said no, he played JV's and wasn't a starter.  I told him, Allen "Bubba Chuck" Iverson went to this very school and was a star as a 9th grader and led the school to state championships as a sophomore in basketball and football, and you are telling me you are a star, but don't even start for the JV team?  Craziness...

My brother was drafted by the Dodgers out of high school. Got a lot of money to sign and played 6 years in the minors for the Dodgers and White Sox.  He hated it because it was no longer a game.  Everyone told him what to do.  He had to wear his uniform a certain way etc... I share the story with the kids.  I show them the articles online about how great he was. But he couldn't hack people telling him how to do things.  Sad.

TEG, I havent heard a lot about Common Core. I've seen a lot of people up in arms about it (on Facebook) that are stereotypical republicans, but as of now, our school district/state isn't involved or included in it.  From what I understand, common core is basically like having a standard as to what ALL students have to learn across the US. I can relate to it because we had a transfer student come from California and they didn't even have a course similar to World History 1. So, he is in a bit of a mess because he won't get credit for what he took first semester in CA, and won't be able to pass the SOL for WH1 because he doesn't know the first semester material.

I don't know whether I should be for or against it. Most of what I've heard is across party lines and typical.

I hate the SOL's btw.  I play the game, I teach the kids how to beat the test, which is a skill that will help them all through their life, but, I in general, I don't like the tests.  On the flip side, I do think there is some merit to them, ie weeding out poor teachers.  Some teachers do suck.  But again, pay more and there will be more competition.

code, My brother is a prof at ODU, My dad taught military history and ROTC at a HS when he retired from the Army. They both have crazy/sad stories like that.

I don't get it. I try to learn new stuff every day. Even silly stuff ( Read about Ed Wood the other day) .

Growing up as a military kid, we always had high expectations, but were given some leeway to let us learn from the stupid mistakes we made. My parents didn't try to make me feel ashamed when I was in 3rd grade, I was truly embarrassed by my stupidity and ignorance. I was "graded" in the 99th percentile in 2nd grade.

I really do feel that reading is fundamental. Call me crazy if you will. I read all the time. I want to learn.

The more you read the more you learn. It's amazing.

I didn't realize common core was political. Most of my friends that have ****ed about it online are socially liberal (not sure about their economics), but they are ****ing more about the new math procedures (like how it takes 20 steps or something to do a simple subtraction problem).

You teach as Bethel, code? Iverson is the same age as me and was the best damn basketball player I ever saw in high school (and I saw Alonzo Mourning. Joe Smith, and JR Reid play their high school games)...there wasn't any doubt that Iverson would excel in college and the NBA as long as he stayed away from his homies.

Is it really as bad as they say? Or just different?

I had a casual conversation this week with some parents ****ing about it. But it wasn't clear whether they were unhappy because it was different to the rote learning they expected and are used to, or if they had a valid point that many kids lack the intellectual capacity to think creatively.  ;)

TEG, yes, I teach at Bethel, this is where I went to HS. I was a few years before Iverson, but, my brother was in the same class (class of 94) with him and played football with him.  I took Iverson home from football practice on more than one occasion and no, he didn't live in the 'hood, he lived with the basketball coach in the nicest neighborhood in our city.  I saw probably all of his basketball and football games. He was really great, probably better in football as a safety than even basketball.  My brother was going to be the starting QB for the football team.  (He was a pitcher drafted in the 5th round, 44th high school player overall) and threw a 94mph fastball.  He could throw the football too.  He lit it up during the preseason but Iverson told the coaches if he wasn't the QB, he would quit. So, they made him the QB.  My brother decided to run cross country instead and focus on baseball.  Iverson was a punk in school.  He got away with everything because the basketball coach and football coach covered everything up. He dealt drugs in school, he punched a teacher, nothing ever happened.  He saw my brother a few years back and said hi, they got along. He told my brother congrats on getting drafted, said he didn't realize how good he was a baseball (because no one cared about baseball at the school).  He wasn't a bad kid, he was just enabled by everyone around him.  His mother did not become a part of his life until he went to Georgetown.  Then, she was a major crackhead.  She sponged off of him to much it was sad.  Pretty much common knowledge in our small but close community.

Code,

I sympathize dude!

Wife is a teacher . She was a vice principal briefly and quit because of stupidity like this. Worst incident - a kid with a history of violent behavior picked some kid up by the ankles and dropped him on his head, cracking the kid's skull. This was just days after coming back from suspension for sending another kid to the hospital by kicking him in the groin. Both incidents were random and unprovoked. My wife calls the police to have him removed from school grounds and suspended indefinitely pending a psych eval. Basturd's mother calls up my wife screaming about how her son is being treated unfairly, is a victim, yadayadayada. Later they try to sue the school.

As Ron White would say "You can't fix stupid. "

Not to derail..but..this method is insane.

http://youtu.be/Ldyl_uYrojs

Sure. Dumb example, but there's nothing wrong with teaching the idea of "chunking" as a technique. 

A different problem ... add the numbers from 1 to 100. A creative thinker might tell you immediately that the answer is 5050 (50 pairs of numbers that each add to 101: 1+ 100, 2 + 99, etc.).

Riggo, that is crazy but typical.  What makes it worse is that EVERYONE is special ed now.  Please, don't take what I'm saying as negative towards kids with special needs. What I mean is that they kids with REAL special needs get shafted because so many kids are diagnosed with SPED because they didn't get their ass whooped as a kid. The only accommodation they need is a belt or at least, a parent to stand up to them and hold them accountable.  That's what's sad.  I'm dual licensed. I have a SPED and Social Studies license and More than half of the kids labeled as SPED are not SPED. That is a disservice to those that are.  They are taking away services from them.

Parents are probably too paranoid now and are afraid of being labeled abusers. 

You don't have to abuse a child, mentally or physically, to be a good parent. You just have to care. Seems like parents don't care like they used to anymore. Or if they do care, they care more about giving their child what they (child and parent) want instead of giving the child what they need. 

I spanked my son 1 time.  That's all it took. He knows I will do it if necessary.  My dad only had to spank me 1 time.  It literally did hurt me more than it hurt him. My son is everything to me, but, he has to know that if he doesn't do what he supposed to do or what's right, there could be consequences.  The kids I deal with have no fear of any consequences.  Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good kids, but too many bad ones.

IF education in our society is going to be fixed, they need to take a model more like Germany. Identify the kids that are not college material.  Once they get to the HS age, divert them to technical training. Give them a shot at succeeding in life.  As it is, they think every child is going to college.  So not true.  If the kids knew that they would be sent to a trade school, it may have an impact.  As it is now, there are no consequences to their ignorance.  

I am not the most patriotic person, but I will not allow the kids to sit during the pledge.  I tell them how lucky they are to be here.  If we were in China, I tell them they'd be making my next iPhone in a sweatshop rather than being tolerated here.

IF education in our society is going to be fixed, they need to take a model more like Germany. Identify the kids that are not college material.  Once they get to the HS age, divert them to technical training. Give them a shot at succeeding in life.  As it is, they think every child is going to college.  So not true.  If the kids knew that they would be sent to a trade school, it may have an impact.  As it is now, there are no consequences to their ignorance. 

This is the big thing. How many times do you see kids that you know have no chance to go to college nor do they even want to? We can get these kids to get careers as plumbers, A/C repairmen, etc. which are solid and respectable lines of work as opposed to end up working at Micky D's or worse, gangbanging, but instead we treat everyone like they got a shot at Harvard. And that isn't even going into the scam that is college education.

Archived