Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

i am changing my thread to acommpanying all things Star Trek.  News,Movies,TV, Merchandise, Etc....

Will leave the original post and question: Star Trek: It's almost time for a return to the small screen or is it?

2012 saw the 50th anniversary of James Bond.  2013 saw the 50th annivesary of Doctor Who.

Another big 50th anniversary is almost upon us.  2016 will be the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.  Star Trek:TNG will celebrate it's 30th anniversary in 2017. Last year was DS9's 20th anniversary.

Star Trek 3 should be out by 2016, I think they want to have the next movie out for the 50th anniversary.

I am thinking that by 2016/2017 enough time will have passed from Star Trek Enterprise- 11/12 years that a return to the small screen for Star Trek would be welcome.

OF course, what kind of show would bring Star Trek back to the small screen?   Would it be a reimagined version of the original show with all new cast, seperate from the current and classic Trek movies?   Would it be something in the Star Trek Universe but related to the original series or it's sequels: TNG,DS9,Voyager?     Would it be something in the Star Trek Universe but related to the modern movie series?  

I just feel the time is right for another TV show in the Star Trek universe.

Edited by Rdskns2000

We had this talk a few years ago. My idea was another show in the TNG timeline...but 20-30 years in the future where the whole galaxy is at war. Very dark.....and the sense that the Federation could lose everything. Folks pointed me to the final season of DS9...and that was a start.

Its funny sometimes I'll find a TNG marathon on and watch one or two. Some of those were really good. Some were cheesy. But overall it was really good for last 80's early 90's visuals.

People always talk about shows that focus on Starfleet academy. Or even the NEXT Enterprise after the final TNG one. Maybe they could do the Enterprise with what I want with a war. An Enterprise where the Federation doesn't have the resources to always fix and clean up their ships. 

-USS-Enterprise-NCC-1701-E-star-trek-339

This was the Enterprise from the final TNG movie. What about this one...30-40 years older....and barely holding together?

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

TNG didn't hit it's stride until the third season.  Season 1 was partially redoing some of the classic series stories plus I think they did some of the scripts from the aborted Star Trek II series.

TNG could've easily made it to 10 seasons before hanging up but Paramount got greedy. 

I would love to see Babylon 5's JMS's take on the show.

Not much of a Star Trek guy, but I could see it being good. I would be surprised if a network took a chance on it though.

Consider the large audiences for reality TV with its low production costs. Why take a chance on a big budget show (what with real scripts, good actors, special effects, directors , etc.) that may or may not have as large an audience?

Reality TV all but killed that kind of television. There are a few exceptions, I know a lot of people like Breaking Bad and Lost for example. I just think networks seem more and more inclined to the reality crap.

We had this talk a few years ago. My idea was another show in the TNG timeline...but 20-30 years in the future where the whole galaxy is at war. Very dark.....and the sense that the Federation could lose everything. Folks pointed me to the final season of DS9...and that was a start.

Its funny sometimes I'll find a TNG marathon on and watch one or two. Some of those were really good. Some were cheesy. But overall it was really good for last 80's early 90's visuals.

People always talk about shows that focus on Starfleet academy. Or even the NEXT Enterprise after the final TNG one. Maybe they could do the Enterprise with what I want with a war. An Enterprise where the Federation doesn't have the resources to always fix and clean up their ships. 

-USS-Enterprise-NCC-1701-E-star-trek-339

This was the Enterprise from the final TNG movie. What about this one...30-40 years older....and barely holding together?

I feel like that was already done with BSG though.

TNG didn't hit it's stride until the third season.  Season 1 was partially redoing some of the classic series stories plus I think they did some of the scripts from the aborted Star Trek II series.

TNG could've easily made it to 10 seasons before hanging up but Paramount got greedy. 

I would love to see Babylon 5's JMS's take on the show.

TNG never hit it's stride (Deep Space 9 was the best of the newer series). One of the things I like about the new movies is it effectively wipes out the very existence of Picard and his pathetic crew. So I think a new series based on the timeline of the new movies could be in any year as it really wouldn't conflict with the any of the TV series.

• Like 1

TNG never hit it's stride (Deep Space 9 was the best of the newer series). One of the things I like about the new movies is it effectively wipes out the very existence of Picard and his pathetic crew. So I think a new series based on the timeline of the new movies could be in any year as it really wouldn't conflict with the any of the TV series.

dislike.

I just think between DS9's last couple of seasons and BSG, we've already been down that whole dark war. Granted, DS9 begged off, but it was covered.

If you're going to do another Star Trek, it has to be like the original. Exploration, finding  peace, and using SciFi to show current events and issues.

I am not a Trekie by any means, love the new franchise reboot in the movies.  Always loved the original series and got a little into DS9 in college.  What I love about the new movies, we get to see Kirk in a different light, a bad ass rebel working his way up in the ranks.  Personally, I'd love to see a TV series based on Kirk and their adventures prior to him being Captin/Admiral, just insert (x number of episodes) and base the series on that.  

Otherwise, you need to jump way into the future as mentioned in previous posts.  Where does Enterprise fall into the timeline?  The one with Scott Bulka?  It seemed pretty good, but I have to admit, I had it on in the background (Netflix) while gaming so I never really truly got into it.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with an opinion so much on ES before. 

I don't think I've ever disagreed with an opinion so much on ES before.

Well my first sentence definitely was opinion. And I do think TNG was a god awful series. But my last two sentences are basically facts (with one minor error - Scott Bakula's Enterprise series wouldn't have been effected). So yes a new series could not conflict with the other television series because of the change in the timeline.

Well my first sentence definitely was opinion. And I do think TNG was a god awful series. But my last two sentences are basically facts (with one minor error - Scott Bakula's Enterprise series wouldn't have been effected). So yes a new series could not conflict with the other television series because of the change in the timeline.

Unfortunately, pretty much your entire point is that Star Trek sucks unless there's a war going on. 

And no, fighting wars isn't what Star Trek is supposed to be about. 

Yes, you're correct that they could now have a "Star Trek at War" series, and not "conflict" with the existing series. 

But it wouldn't be Star Trek. 

I could never get behind TNG much either. It was awful the first couple of seasons but did get much better and there were some really good episodes later on, especially the last one but other than Data the characters were kind of lame. At the time I remember someone saying they were the PC space cops and it made them root for the Klingons. They were all such goody-too-shoes. so boring.

I recently rewatched a few of the original series episodes and they were so much richer and so well written. "Amok Time" was on recently, where Spock and Kirk are forced to fight to the death... wow - it was one of the best episodes... Nimoy tore up the screen, the Music was incredible and of course, Kirk's shirt was ripped. For a nearly 50 year old show, many of them still hold up.

I liked DS9, it had the most interesting characters and stories of the more modern series. Voyager was ok at times but the characters and actors were so bland... Enterprise was a mess.

It would be interesting to see a new series from a writing crew from a show similar to Breaking Bad or Walking Dead. they can get away from the standard star trek bs with a fresh take and interesting characters..

Well, you had the Original Series that was about exploring the unknown. Then you had TNG that was about the Flagship of the Fleet leading the way in war and peace. Then you had DS9 about an outpost after a conflict. It eventually expanded to going through the wormhole more with smaller ships, and a big baddie. You had Voyager....lost on the other side of the galaxy or universe.....having to make due on their own. Not a big ship. Then back to Enterprise with a 1st "Trek" into deeper space.

and yet I still want a weekly show on again. I like the idea of finding writers to develop deeper characters like AMC or FX shows. You want problems to solve. You want conflict. You want mystery and FX. I don't want a Sci-Fi version of Law and Order or NCIS. Or even Strikeback

I know there are books out there about different ships and crews. I wonder if one of those would be good to develop off of.

There have been so many spin-offs of Star Trek that I'm sick of them all!

The only way to interest me is to do a reboot, and forget the whole TNG universe ever existed, but Trekkies would march on Rome and burn the city to the ground!

I think Rick Berman already did that.   They milked Trek until it ran into the ground.

Unfortunately, pretty much your entire point is that Star Trek sucks unless there's a war going on. 

And no, fighting wars isn't what Star Trek is supposed to be about. 

Yes, you're correct that they could now have a "Star Trek at War" series, and not "conflict" with the existing series. 

But it wouldn't be Star Trek. 

Frankly, I have no idea how you made this leap as I never mentioned war in any of these posts. I said TSGs crew was pathetic and another poster captured that in his descripiton of weak character development for that show (Frankly Ryker has to be in the running for the biggest ass kisser in television history - so in a sense I guess he did have some extensive development in that area at least). The original series was the best of any, followed my DS9 (Distant 2d). Was the original series all about war? And although I didn't mention it I think the best movie by far was #4 (was a phaser even fired in that one?).

Edited by nonniey

Frankly, I have no idea how you made this leap as I never mentioned war in any of these posts. I said TSGs crew was pathetic and another poster captured that in his descripiton of weak character development for that show (Frankly Ryker has to be in the running for the biggest ass kisser in television history - so in a sense I guess he did have some extensive development in that area at least). The original series was the best of any, followed my DS9 (Distant 2d). Was the original series all about war? And although I didn't mention it I think the best movie by far was #4 (was a phaser even fired in that one?).

I was about to profusely apologize to you, till you voted for Save The Wales.  :)

(Still, I think the best movie was The Motion Picture, so now you can make comments about my taste.) 

I liked DS9, it had the most interesting characters and stories of the more modern series. Voyager was ok at times but the characters and actors were so bland... Enterprise was a mess.

Gotta admit DS9s Garrick has got to be the most interesting character since the original show.

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1