Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Under The Dome: New show on CBS

More Complete

Anyone see the pilot last night? It’s based on a Stephen King book that I admit I have not read. It was pretty well done with what looked to be cable level production (I think it was originally intended for Showtime before CBS bought it).

I thought it was pretty good and I’m looking forward to seeing more episodes. I’m a sucker for Sci-Fi and have been waiting for another good weekly serialized program to watch since “L O S T” ended and “The Event” got canceled (have to say, I haven’t been that impressed with “Revolution”).

With all the promotion they’ve been doing, I’m surprised there wasn't already a thread on it. It did extremely well in the ratings last night.

I like the pilot. I'm big fan of Brian K. Vaughn's comics, I'm interested to see how he will adapt the story. I read the book a couple of years ago, although I'm hard pressed to remember many of the subplots (I'll still be staying silent on any plot discussions in this thread).

Glad to see it got really good ratings, I hate getting involved in shows like this only to have it last one season.

I like the pilot. I'm big fan of Brian K. Vaughn's comics, I'm interested to see how he will adapt the story. I read the book a couple of years ago, although I'm hard pressed to remember many of the subplots (I'll still be staying silent on any plot discussions in this thread).

Like most shows, I’m sure it will vary significantly from the book (Walking dead, etc) but I hear many of the main characters are the same.

Glad to see it got really good ratings, I hate getting involved in shows like this only to have it last one season.

It pulled in 13.14 million viewers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/dome-premiere-draws-13-14-million-viewers-article-1.1382126

Agree. Apparently some of the same guys who did L O S T are also involved. If it does really well it could change the major networks’ ideas about production value. A lot of times I think people change the channel when a show looks cheap or isn’t up to par with the cable stuff.

Wondering why, with all those people surrounding the dome and the citizens trapped, not one person has grabbed a shovel and started digging yet.

Good question. They haven't tried to test its strength at all, or find a way out either. It's still early though.

The book was a very good read but I did not get to see the pilot.  ( nice thing about DVR though)

As I recall in the book, it takes a bit to flesh out the characters so the beginning was a bit slow, but it does pick up and in typical King fashion, he throws a twist or two at you.    

thanks for the re-air update.   

I'll try to catch the next episode. I'm generally always intrigued by any tv/movie Stephen King adapation. Anybody know if/when the pilot will be shown again before the next episode?

CBS is replaying it Sunday at 9pm

Thanks. Now that Mad Men is over, my Sunday nights are a little more free. I'm going to catch the pilot and get on board next week. 

It was pretty good... I will keep watching. I did read that they made major changes from the book and the ending is completely different (I did not read the book).

I have read allot of King, (the last one I read was Cell), I love his short stories the most (quick and to the point) and Salems Lot was excellent... but my impression of his other works was that he always had good ideas that were interesting but the he sometimes lost his way in overwriting (making books way too long) and not knowing how to end them - yet they were almost always an entertaining read.

There has been examples of it's strength, the semi being crushed and the airplane being obliterated come to mind. Perhaps once the people heard about those events, they got cautious to even touch it.

Good point. Like I said, it’s still early (12 more episodes this season) but I imagine it wouldn’t be out of the question to try some explosives, etc., just to see what happens. Trying to get under it would be the first thing that comes to mind. Not that anything would work, if it did, I guess it wouldn’t make for much of a show lol.

The book was fantastic.  I wasn't blown away by the pilot.  The production value wasn't anything special.  For some reason most of the characters seem way younger than I thought the book projected.  I'll probably watch the entire mini-series, but it'll likely be very similar to The Stand mini series.  All the potential in the world, but really not done well.  Then again, that's most of SK books that end up on the big screen in one way or another, with a couple notable exceptions.

It was pretty good... I will keep watching. I did read that they made major changes from the book and the ending is completely different (I did not read the book).

I have read allot of King, (the last one I read was Cell), I love his short stories the most (quick and to the point) and Salems Lot was excellent... but my impression of his other works was that he always had good ideas that were interesting but the he sometimes lost his way in overwriting (making books way too long) and not knowing how to end them - yet they were almost always an entertaining read.

he did make this book a little long, but in typical King fashion, he want's to build up the story and document the deterioration of the human psyche as well as give some time for the "hero" to find his way.    

Could he have shortened the book some?  yea he could but it's still an interesting concept for the story.

It will be interesting to see where they part ways with the actual storyline. Either way, I have my dvr set .

For those who don't know this will just be a 13-part mini-series. You will see the end of the whole thing this summer. Which is kind of nice, because you are not wasting your time with something that might get cancelled.

I also read that SK signed off on Brian K. Vaughn's alternate ending.

For those who don't know this will just be a 13-part mini-series. You will see the end of the whole thing this summer. Which is kind of nice, because you are not wasting your time with something that might get cancelled.

I also read that SK signed off on Brian K. Vaughn's alternate ending.

Vaughn did an interview that said they have plans for it to go beyond one season if it got good ratings.

I didn't care much for the ending in the book, I'm definitely interested to see how he changes it.

It is my understanding that the plan is for multiple seasons. I’m guessing because multiple seasons = more money. Shocker!

The ending of the 13th episode apparently will allow for that to be the end, or for it to continue according to interviews with those on the show. I guess it’s kind of a win/win for viewers in that sense.

WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS

[url=http://www.tvguide.com/News/CBS-Under-the-Dome-Stephen-King-Novel-1067051.aspx

Good -Because the ending of the book was one of the stupidest endings ever...

And now I will not compare the Show to the book anymore because I liked the show and hate when people do that in walking dead and game of thrones.  

Wondering why, with all those people surrounding the dome and the citizens trapped, not one person has grabbed a shovel and started digging yet.

Or, isn't there some type of sewer system that would allow them to get from one side to the other?

Or, isn't there some type of sewer system that would allow them to get from one side to the other?

They can't all have septic tanks although they might have some type of water processing plant in town.

I'm sure they will test it..but it looked like whatever it is that creating the dome went down into the ground too (that's at least what it looked like in the farm where Barbie wrecked his car).  

UndertheDome101_013860.jpg

Archived