Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 hour ago, CrypticVillain said:

No one still has yet to answer my question of what's the difference between ring-chasing the way Durant did or doing it the way Malone, Drexler, Payton, Barkley, and all the other greats that do it at the end of their careers?

None of those guys by that point (or at any point in their careers) were a consensus top 2 player, joining  what was already one of the better teams in NBA history. Context is important .

That move was on a seismic level

Paul out, so they're gonna have to gamble on a game 7 in HOU, what they've been asking for since last summer. That's a shame, because HE is on the ropes, and I'd have said this is over in 6, with a confidence boosting win like the other night

Edited by Mr. Sinister

34 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

From my understanding, he didn't want to leave, then finally gave in.

And once he got to Boston and got into a new atmosphere, new culture, better coaching, fans etc he realized his loyalty was a mistake. He should have looked out for himself more. 

I brought him up specifically because I remember he mentioned this either to KD or in an interview, i cant remember which, and used himself as an example of what not to do. He advised go be happy

35 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not assuming anything, I just said other people care about that legacy stuff more then he does. 

I may have misunderstood you but you brought up other people caring about his legacy as to why it is different than any random person's business decisions. I took that to mean that he should care about his legacy and factor that into his decision making. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

Hamstring injuries don't heal in three days and game 7 would be played on the 28th.  I think it's unlikely CP3 returns during this series.  That's unfortunate because the Rockets really did look capable of putting the Warriors away.  I don't think they can do it without him. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I still think they close it out in 6. 

That really depends on Gordon and if the Warriors can get their head out their ass.  GS on fire is a tall task for them even with a healthy CP.

I'm going to be pretty upset as well if Paul can't get back for at least game 7.  The clippers curse is following him to Texas, its straight awful, man.

KD (obviously) is free to do what he wants and what makes him happy, but from the perspective of the rest of us (and him if, he cares), it does affect his legacy, especially if they lose this year.

It becomes hard to argue he's a top 5 player in NBA history (now, that can change based on what he does with the rest of his career).

I'll never blame somebody for doing what they want and what they think is right for them, but winning a championship with a GS team that had been to back to back finals and probably should have won back to back championships without you just isn't that impressive.  If he wants to get into that discussion as the top 5 of all time, he needs a (near) historic run of greatness with this GS team.

Who is a better player KD, Duncan, or Hakeem?  Especially, if they don't win a championship this year to me it is very hard to argue KD.

(And, I'll point out that even in that sense with Boston and KG, Boston wasn't a championship team without him.  You can put people together and say this should be a good team, but actually getting a good team out of it doesn't always work.  KG, Pierce, Allen (and Rondo) made it work those years in Boston when that foundation wasn't already there vs. Durant joining GS.)

Edited by PeterMP

Goddamn it.

Well Harden gets two shots at a legacy game. Put up a 40-10 in a close-out of all-time great team and shut up all the idiots - like most of the people on this thread - who believe in things like "clutch gene."

But seriously, goddman it.

Paul had completely taken over this series. He was making every play, controlling the pace, and getting under everyone's skin.

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

Who is a better player KD, Duncan, or Hakeem?  Especially, if they don't win a championship this year to me it is very hard to argue KD.

I hate everyone.

6 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The Warriors need to give the keys back to Steph.

And if Durant is going to post up, he needs to get deeper in the paint.

But they have become team iso which plays into Houston.

I do hope this series puts to rest a little of the Harden is a terrible defender crap. Harden is a really effective defender who is often not required to do anything because he needs to score 40 on offense.

He's been a menace on D this series. He's a monster of a human being that's athletic enough to force Steph to take the most complicated, circuitous route to the basket which completely screws up GSW's tempo. He's also a monster of a human being who can muscle Durant AND block his shot.

Ariza, Capella, and Tucker have been killing it, but Harden and Paul have been doing their jobs very well.

I feel like Houston has forced GSW into this endless iso battle but being the first team that has been athletic enough to stay attached to GSW while being big enough to beat them up. If you go match-up by match-up, in a boxing match, you would almost always pick the Rocket: Paul/Steph...Harden/Klay....Capella/Draymond. This doesn't happen when the Warriors face Kevin Love, JR Smith and Kyle Korver.

• Like 1

Paul was having an awful series with the shooting, scoring, and even defending.

But they will miss another elite ball handler and that intangibles he was bringing.

22 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I do hope this series puts to rest a little of the Harden is a terrible defender crap. Harden is a really effective defender who is often not required to do anything because he needs to score 40 on offense.

He's been a menace on D this series. He's a monster of a human being that's athletic enough to force Steph to take the most complicated, circuitous route to the basket which completely screws up GSW's tempo. He's also a monster of a human being who can muscle Durant AND block his shot.

relax, he has been getting cooked this series. 

What he is good at is playing the passing lanes.

3 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Goddamn it.

Well Harden gets two shots at a legacy game. Put up a 40-10 in a close-out of all-time great team and shut up all the idiots - like most of the people on this thread - who believe in things like "clutch gene."

But seriously, goddman it.

Paul had completely taken over this series. He was making every play, controlling the pace, and getting under everyone's skin.

I hate everyone.

There's a difference between there not being such a thing as clutch and it being difficult to measure clutch.  Many people that don't understand the analytics argument don't understand/make that distinction.  Clutch is hard to measure because players have very few truly clutch opportunities and there is random noise.  But to contend that every human responds to pressure absolutely the same way is ridiculous.

But, I'm not even really talking about that.  It isn't like I posed who would you rather have take the final shot in championship game Horry or KD.  I'm not saying Duncan or Hakeem might be more clutch.

(Really simple, Smoltz talks about the role of focus and he has readily admitted that game in and game out that Maddux was a better player than him because Maddux had a better ability to focus start after start and pitch after pitch in the middle of the regular season in a pretty meaningless game for a team that had pretty much run away from the rest of the division.  But in the playoffs, things were different, and then Smoltz was able to focus as much and maybe even more.

Than not suprisingly, while Maddux's regular season stats are much better than Smoltz's, but in the post-season Smoltz is at least as good as Maddux and maybe even better.  In the stats, Smoltz shows up as more "clutch" (more better than his regular season performance suggest he should).  And in this case, there isn't even (much of) an issue with small sample size because they both pitched quite a few post-season innings (~200 innings for both).

Day in and day out, Maddux is the better player.  In an important game, it is close to a toss up with Smoltz actually holding a slight advantage.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

None of those guys by that point (or at any point in their careers) were a consensus top 2 player, joining  what was already one of the better teams in NBA history. Context is important .

That move was on a seismic level

I don't know how I feel about you commenting on this knowing who your team is. I know it was different, but the moves are at least cousins. Lol

I always wondered what happened to Harden becasue in OKC, he was a defensive stopper. I know for a fact he used to put clamps on Kobe at times.

I honestly just think he got lazy on defense when he got to Houston. He sealed the deal with back to back plucks on KD in Game 4.

Having said all of this, even with Paul, it wasn't like they were convincingly beating the Warriors. Games 6 and 7 were toss ups before the injury, now, Game 6 is probably as much as a lock as a game can be.

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You watch that dirty whore mouth of yours when talking about my

namesake 

I'd rather you call the game for him.  The dynamic between him and Van Gundy is more interesting then anything he has to say individually, but that's just my opinion.